The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha TSR-7810/RX-v781 Owner's thread. - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3138Likes

post #1381 of 2037 Old 01-26-2018, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by red71rum View Post
If anyone got their 7810 from Costco recently, the price dropped significantly and I was able to get Costco to match the price for me and I got $60 back today when I called them.
Thank you so much for saving me $60!!! This site rules!!
red71rum and jmyounger like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 2037 Old 01-26-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrofir View Post
I'm waffling big time between this costco model and the Marantz 5011 refurb at accessories.

I like the warranty, the ease of having a big box retailer nearby, and I imagine the performance is similar overall. Anyone want to help nudge me? Simply can't make up my mind. Every time I'm about to go into costco and pick it up my gut tells me I like Marantz stuff. But then as soon as I'm about to place the order online for the Marantz I read some review about reliability issues and I make up my mind to go to costco and get this. Also this yamaha is way prettier than the marantz.

Main reasons for this upgrade -- my receiver is lacking all of the following

4k hdr passthrough
no EQ or room calibration at all
no pre outs and i have some monitors i'd like to try
no atmos

PS How is sub output on this thing? I've read that yamaha sub output is a bit weak. Is there auto or manual sub EQ?
I just watched Blade Runner on 4K with Dolby Atmos and I was blown away with the sound. The room shook and made the movie so much better! It was an epic experience!
I have to say though that I have:
2 Definitive Tech BP8060ST front
2 Def Tech BP8040ST rear
and Def Tech Center/Satellites
Klipsch Sub

I'm obviously a big fan of the Definitive Technologies lineup...those speakers are amazing. However, pushed from the 7810 with Dolby Atmos and it was fantastic!! I would go Yamaha. I've never had a Marantz but have owned Onkyo, Denon, and Pioneer. This is my 3rd Yamaha receiver and I won't switch.
post #1383 of 2037 Old 01-26-2018, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by btmille View Post
Thank you so much for saving me $60!!! This site rules!!
No problem, every little bit counts, glad to help.
btmille likes this.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1384 of 2037 Old 01-26-2018, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yamaha TSR-7810 Changes HDMI

I got my unit at Costco and hooked it up. The problem I am having is that after I turn the unit on and it comes up on HDMI-2, which is my cable/TV, then after a few seconds it automatically changes to HDMI-3, which is my fire stick. I can switch it back to HDMI-2 and sometimes it goes back to HDMI-3, so I switch it back to HDMI-2, again and this time it stays. Do any of you guys know what I can do to remedy this? Thanks, Mike
post #1385 of 2037 Old 01-27-2018, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmyounger View Post
I got my unit at Costco and hooked it up. The problem I am having is that after I turn the unit on and it comes up on HDMI-2, which is my cable/TV, then after a few seconds it automatically changes to HDMI-3, which is my fire stick. I can switch it back to HDMI-2 and sometimes it goes back to HDMI-3, so I switch it back to HDMI-2, again and this time it stays. Do any of you guys know what I can do to remedy this? Thanks, Mike
Do you have HDMI-CEC enabled on your devices? I completely gave up on HDMI-CEC. It would switch back and forth between by Nvidia Shield and Apple TV 4K constantly. I turned off HDMI-CEC, started using my Logitech Harmony again and couldn't be happier.
post #1386 of 2037 Old 01-27-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Call Costco concierge service (they won't actually be able to help you). When Costco tries to "troubleshoot" this, they will get in contact with Yamaha support and conference them in. Yamaha support will help. For me, I tried Yamaha support first but was taking forever. Costco must have a direct line or something. lol

Also try factory resetting it. Here are the instructions:
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/..._u/11034/9322/
post #1387 of 2037 Old 01-27-2018, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I did the 8 position YPAO, set all my speakers afterward to 80hz, turned off YPAO Volume and DRC. Overall I am happy with the sound, the dialogue is crisp etc, but the bass is kind of weak. I have an SVS PB2000 and an old Polk PSW505, they are set to allow the Yamaha do all the work as I had it with my Pioneer receiver before. I fooled with the subwoofer trim by way of the options menu on the controller. I upped it by +5.0db(just experimenting). I did not touch the extra bass option. My question is am I ruining the YPAO measurement by doing this?
I had to turn the extra bass option on mine to get it where it sounded good.
post #1388 of 2037 Old 01-27-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RS View Post
I had to turn the extra bass option on mine to get it where it sounded good.
Interesting, so far what I did seems to be sufficient, although I have yet to watch a movie with the new trim setting. I just noticed that it sounds better with Titanfall 2 and my my Xbox One X.

post #1389 of 2037 Old 01-28-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Interesting, so far what I did seems to be sufficient, although I have yet to watch a movie with the new trim setting. I just noticed that it sounds better with Titanfall 2 and my my Xbox One X.
You may want to read through the two threads I made in my search for a subwoofer. There's some good info about setup in those threads. I was advised to never have the trim in the positive on the AVR. Also getting a Y adapter for the RCA (or an RCA with it built in, this looks cleaner) will get you more volume from the subwoofer.
post #1390 of 2037 Old 01-28-2018, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I have nearly the exact same problem, but in my case it is the Samsung 4K TV being the offender, and the desired input the Xbox One. I say "Xbox On", and the Xbox turns on, turns on the TV and Yamaha, the input is already on the Xbox One's input, I get a moment of sound, then the TV hijacks the input to "Video 4" or something (I forget the exact name) which is whatever the default name for ARC from the TV is. If I immediately switch the input back to the Xbox One's HDMI, the TV will hijack it again, possibly several times (it seems to just keep re-acquiring attention via CEC for the first 30 seconds or so after power on). After around half a minute, the TV stops hijacking the input and I can set the input back to Xbox One.

The entire time, video remains on Xbox One, it's just the audio that switches - which means that the TV is still displaying the video coming up the chain, but for some reason thinks it should force the receiver to the ARC channel instead of leaving it on the inbound channel from the Xbox.

It seems that it the absence of CEC signaling from the victim device (in my case Xbox One, yours the cable box), the "greedy" device (my Samsung TV, your Fire stick) grabs control on power on simply because it was powered on and thinks it's the only thing in existence. The fact there's less complaining about this leads me to believe that if everything or nothing uses CEC, the problem would be solved.

I've been too lazy to re-arrange the cabling (I suspect if I plug the Xbox directly into the TV and then let the audio flow through ARC *always* I won't have any issues) and I haven't wanted to disable CEC, so the problem remains...

Everything worked fine for most of a year, it wasn't until an update to the Samsung TV that this started happening.
post #1391 of 2037 Old 01-28-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
You may want to read through the two threads I made in my search for a subwoofer. There's some good info about setup in those threads. I was advised to never have the trim in the positive on the AVR. Also getting a Y adapter for the RCA (or an RCA with it built in, this looks cleaner) will get you more volume from the subwoofer.
I have two subs, not one so the y adapter would not work. The YPAO set my sub at -0.5 and I did not change that setting, in the level section. The bass now sounds find but not exaggerated.

post #1392 of 2037 Old 01-28-2018, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht View Post
I have nearly the exact same problem, but in my case it is the Samsung 4K TV being the offender, and the desired input the Xbox One. I say "Xbox On", and the Xbox turns on, turns on the TV and Yamaha, the input is already on the Xbox One's input, I get a moment of sound, then the TV hijacks the input to "Video 4" or something (I forget the exact name) which is whatever the default name for ARC from the TV is. If I immediately switch the input back to the Xbox One's HDMI, the TV will hijack it again, possibly several times (it seems to just keep re-acquiring attention via CEC for the first 30 seconds or so after power on). After around half a minute, the TV stops hijacking the input and I can set the input back to Xbox One.

The entire time, video remains on Xbox One, it's just the audio that switches - which means that the TV is still displaying the video coming up the chain, but for some reason thinks it should force the receiver to the ARC channel instead of leaving it on the inbound channel from the Xbox.

It seems that it the absence of CEC signaling from the victim device (in my case Xbox One, yours the cable box), the "greedy" device (my Samsung TV, your Fire stick) grabs control on power on simply because it was powered on and thinks it's the only thing in existence. The fact there's less complaining about this leads me to believe that if everything or nothing uses CEC, the problem would be solved.

I've been too lazy to re-arrange the cabling (I suspect if I plug the Xbox directly into the TV and then let the audio flow through ARC *always* I won't have any issues) and I haven't wanted to disable CEC, so the problem remains...

Everything worked fine for most of a year, it wasn't until an update to the Samsung TV that this started happening.
The best way to trouble shoot this is:
Disable everything first. No HDMI control, no CEC and no Samsung settings that enable control via HDMI. Once this is done verify no problems are occurring by turning on and off your TV.

Then begin enabling settings starting with the AVR.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
ChromeJob likes this.

TCL 65r615
Yamaha TSR 7810
Pioneer Sub SW8MKII...
RBH Impression Series 7.0
post #1393 of 2037 Old 01-29-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
I have two subs, not one so the y adapter would not work. The YPAO set my sub at -0.5 and I did not change that setting, in the level section. The bass now sounds find but not exaggerated.
The Y-adapter goes on the subwoofer side to take the one RCA coming from the AVR and making it two to plug it into both inputs on the subwoofer. I forget sometimes there are so many places to adjust the subwoofer on this AVR so I was thinking you mean the level not the trim.
post #1394 of 2037 Old 01-31-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
The Y-adapter goes on the subwoofer side to take the one RCA coming from the AVR and making it two to plug it into both inputs on the subwoofer. I forget sometimes there are so many places to adjust the subwoofer on this AVR so I was thinking you mean the level not the trim.
Interesting, had not heard of that. Normally I have seen a Y adapter going from one sub out to two subs.

post #1395 of 2037 Old 02-02-2018, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 67
You should easily be able to use your old speakers. I did -- the speakers I have are pretty darn old but fairly tough but they work fine, in fact with the 7810 I just had to turn the volume down is all. About your other questions I'll let others answer that.
post #1396 of 2037 Old 02-03-2018, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha TSR-7810/RX-v781 Owner's thread.

Rtm.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #1397 of 2037 Old 02-03-2018, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HothTron View Post
Don't bother responding if you're just going to be a unhelpful smartass
Actually Chromejob is probably the most knowledgeable guy in the forum regarding Yamaha receivers. He knows stuff about them that I haven't even gotten around to exploring. I'm guessing that if he says to read the manual, that your question (I'm guessing it's #3 ) should be something that can be easily found in the manual.
post #1398 of 2037 Old 02-03-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:

1. Will I be able to SAFELY use the old speakers from my 5930 reciever? Do I need to modify/change settings on the reciever so I don't blow them out? I would like to buy nicer speakers but the old ones will have to do for now until I recover free money funds.

2. If I am forced to buy new speakers to work properly with this new reciever, can you recommend a set thats not expensive? My usage is going to be 80% PS4 Pro, 5% Blu Ray movies and 15% HTPC youtube/streaming/vid watching, so I do not need high end and I cannot justify it either but I am in a small apt. I would prefer smaller speakers that I can mount on my exist speaker stands, so no big huges ones. 5.1 channel is fine, I don't have room for a 7.1 system in my apt.

3. Any particular do/not does with this unit? I am overwhelmed with the amount of audio changes the last decade, I cannot keep up with what the has replaced Dolby and THX and all the standards, so I 'm looking for just a basic "happy average" setup that will work in a 700 square foot apartment and not piss off the neighbors and landlord

Hi there and welcome. For starters:

If you are pulling your hair out due to a lack of clarity...the problem isn't your aging Yamaha (it's your speakers) ...and as luck would have it you failed to mention what speakers you are using? (I did not read the entire thread)

(1) This question seems a bit vague. As a self proclaimed "not an audiophile" you still seem to want/need better sound and present day audio formats. I don't think Optical is craptastic but it's your perception...

The 7810 can safely power 4ohm speakers.
Based on your projected needs...you and your speakers will be fine. However garbage in is garbage out...so don't expect great sound out of craptastic speakers. Feel me?

(2) Pricing is subjective and you've listed no amount as a guide. Monoprice has a cheap (to me) 5.1 setup...this could be a perfect fit based on your implied HTIB comment.

(3) This receiver is more than a basic happy average receiver so it will be fine. And seriously many people who utilize a modicum of insight and basic humility WILL download the manual to learn about a prospective purchase. Since you already have the unit...explore the darn thing!

Last...There seriously is nothing overwhelming about the changes since 2006.

HDMI switching...
This unit has preouts
You either get 7.2 or 5.1.2
Atmos/DTS-X will utilize 2 Atmos speakers
Yamaha's DSP has improved.
This unit has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth connectivity...

There you go. You're all set.

ChromeJob likes this.

TCL 65r615
Yamaha TSR 7810
Pioneer Sub SW8MKII...
post #1399 of 2037 Old 02-04-2018, 02:42 PM

Does anyone know if a 1/4” of space between a Blu-ray player on top of the 7810 is enough? I don’t know if I missed it but I couldn’t find anything in the owner’s manual. I would like more than that but I bought a Sony X800 Blu-ray player and the only place I have space for it is on top. This stupid TV console I have won’t fit anything “standard width” in either of the side storage areas...
post #1400 of 2037 Old 02-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
If anyone got their 7810 from Costco recently, the price dropped significantly and I was able to get Costco to match the price for me and I got $60 back today when I called them.

I was looking for a pre amp processor to replace a 10 year old Outlaw 990 that started misbehaving a few days ago. I was going to go with one from Emotiva or Outlaw, but somebody in the Emotiva MC-700 forum here mentioned this Yamaha receiver for a great price. I don't need the power amp section of the receiver , I have external amps already for the 5.1 setup I have in my living room. Since this receiver has pre amp outs for all channels, I ordered one from Costco just now. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares sound wise , with the Outlaw it's replacing. It sure does have lots of features for the price. BTW, the 60 bucks off price at Costco ends today.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.
post #1401 of 2037 Old 02-04-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post
I was looking for a pre amp processor to replace a 10 year old Outlaw 990 that started misbehaving a few days ago. I was going to go with one from Emotiva or Outlaw, but somebody in the Emotiva MC-700 forum here mentioned this Yamaha receiver for a great price. I don't need the power amp section of the receiver , I have external amps already for the 5.1 setup I have in my living room. Since this receiver has pre amp outs for all channels, I ordered one from Costco just now. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares sound wise , with the Outlaw it's replacing. It sure does have lots of features for the price. BTW, the 60 bucks off price at Costco ends today.
I am using the 7810 with my Emotiva XPA 3 and Rotel RMB1075, and it sounds great to me.
strindl and aHelpingHand like this.

post #1402 of 2037 Old 02-04-2018, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am using the 7810 with my Emotiva XPA 3 and Rotel RMB1075, and it sounds great to me.

That's certainly good to hear! Thanks. My main sound source will be my Logitech squeezebox touch with about a thousand CD's ripped to the server in lossless format. I've had that hooked to the Outlaw through an optical digital cable using the DAC in the outlaw. The Yamaha uses high resolution capable Burr Brown chips in the dacs for all channels which should sound better than the ones in the Outlaw. I do have a turntable in that system as well though, so having a phono section to plug it in to on the Yamaha is a bonus. The Emotive MC-700 pre amp processor I was looking at doesn't have that, nor does it have an FM tuner like I was used to with the Outlaw. All of the streaming services available on the Yamaha are another bonus. For the price that that receiver is avialble for from Costco, it's way too tempting to pass up. With the Emotiva XPA2 gen 3 driving the main channel Magnepan 1.7's and, an Adcom GFA 555 II running the Magnepan CC3 center channel in bridged mode and the rear channel Magnepan mmg's getting 90 watts per channel from another vintage Adcom amp, the power amps in the Yamaha won't come into play. It is kind of nice having them available though, just in case.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.
post #1403 of 2037 Old 02-04-2018, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So after research, its apparent I will just be wasting my new 7810 of I don't replace the speakers being used from my old HL 5930.

I however cannot justify spending a lot on new speakers as I am very limited in space in my apt and too loud/big speakers will just result in me getting in trouble/fined/evicted

So here is what I came up with for my needs and not killing my wallet while hopefully getting some better around

libirm likes this.

Last edited by HothTron; 02-05-2018 at 12:16 AM.
post #1404 of 2037 Old 02-05-2018, 03:31 AM

Quote:
So after research, its apparent I will just be wasting my new 7810 of I don't replace the speakers being used from my old HL 5930.

I however cannot justify spending a lot on new speakers as I am very limited in space in my apt and too loud/big speakers will just result in me getting in trouble/fined/evicted

So here is what I came up with for my needs and not killing my wallet while hopefully getting some better around
I'm not downplaying those speakers because I've never heard them or researched them but you can find some great deals on used stuff and get more for your money. Check the classifieds here, eBay, Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, etc.
post #1405 of 2037 Old 02-05-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:

If you are near or in Utah check out KSL:
https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/s/El.../Home+Speakers

A goldmine of gently used speakers (and gear)

My personal choice for best bang for your buck (when on sale that is) are the A.J. speakers from Pioneer. When they have sales (I'm unsure what vendors have them) but I got my towers for $60 each, the bookshelf for $30 each, the 8inch sub was $80 and the center was $50.

I'm about to sell mine but I've seen them on sale used.

TCL 65r615
Yamaha TSR 7810
Pioneer Sub SW8MKII...
post #1406 of 2037 Old 02-05-2018, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Does anyone know if a 1/4” of space between a Blu-ray player on top of the 7810 is enough? I don’t know if I missed it but I couldn’t find anything in the owner’s manual. I would like more than that but I bought a Sony X800 Blu-ray player and the only place I have space for it is on top. This stupid TV console I have won’t fit anything “standard width” in either of the side storage areas...
The minimum recommended cooling space is probably in the setup guide which I don’t have on hand at the moment. If you mean literally 1/4” space, no that’s probably NOT enough cooling space above the heat-producing amplifier.

Quote:

Affordable speakers from Monoprice or other Internet direct merchants will probably do fine. But you will find more relevant discussions and help finding economical speakers in the speaker section of the forum. This thread is the dedicated discussion thread for this Yamaha AVR.

Have you had a chance to peruse the manual yet?
aHelpingHand likes this.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #1407 of 2037 Old 02-07-2018, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New to the TSR-7810 (have had it for a week). Thanks to this thread, setup and usage has been relatively painless. I am coming from a ~10 year old Denon receiver, which was good but started giving problems on the HDMI switch (wouldn't hold the right HDMI input).

I'm using a Harmony remote to operate and the TV together (no CEC control), and the ARC is working ok. No complaints there.

My biggest complaint and thus the questions are with respect to volume and in general the DSP.

1. My music generally comes from an optical input, and I have a scene for music. When I switch between other scenes (for TV, Movies, etc), the volume difference from the music source and the other video (HDMI sources) is significant. I have to listen to music at roughly -60-db where video has to be around -30. I can't seem to correct it with Trim. I believe I had similar issues with the Denon, but there were remote codes available that allowed the Harmony to "specify" a volume level on startup, so I didn't consider it again. The issue with volume also happens when using Spotify or other music sources, and they occur when using Straight or other music DSP modes.

2. About 5% of my music consists of surround sources. By default I've tried having my music scene turn on with either Straight or 7.1 Stereo. I used something similar with my Denon. On my old Denon, if the source was surround, it would switch over to surround. The Yamaha doesn't seem to do this. I have to switch over to the DSP Surround to get that to work, which is a bit annoying. I did like that the Denon made the switch automatically. I actually would have thought the Yamaha would do this in Straight mode, but it doesn't seem to.

Does anyone have any experience with these issues? The second issue isn't that big of a deal, but the first one is a bit more annoying. The Yamaha doesn't make it easy or seem to allow different default volumes for various scenes. I'm not sure if there is anywhere else I can adjust the default volume when listening to music short of programming my Harmony remote to turn the volume down by simulating a key-press 20+ times.

Otherwise, this is a nice receiver for the money, and I do like that the ARC is working for me (and I am not fussing with CEC).
post #1408 of 2037 Old 02-07-2018, 03:10 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking to add an Amp to boost output. I have Definitive Tech BP-8060ST and BP-8040ST (Fr and Rr) plus Def Tech surrounds and centers (7.1 setup). They are 300 Watt speakers and this AVR just isn't pushing them. Do any of you have any recommendations of what you are using?
I saw Emotiva XPA..anyone else?

Thanks!!
post #1409 of 2037 Old 02-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmille View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking to add an Amp to boost output. I have Definitive Tech BP-8060ST and BP-8040ST (Fr and Rr) plus Def Tech surrounds and centers (7.1 setup). They are 300 Watt speakers and this AVR just isn't pushing them. Do any of you have any recommendations of what you are using?
I saw Emotiva XPA..anyone else?

Thanks!!

It depends on your budget, but Emotiva definitely should be at the top of your list for checking out. The best bet would be to take the main front speakers off the Yamaha and get a good two channel amp for them. Since your BP-8060st's are fairly efficient (92db), and have a built in subwoofer amp in them, something like an A-300 would be a cost effective way to make things sound better all around. That amp is a beefy 150 watts per channel at 8 ohms that doubles into 4 ohms. You can do that for 400 bucks new. The issue with a receiver with 7 channels of amplification like the 7810 / 781, is all of the channels draw from a common power supply, so the watts available per channel starts decreasing when you are using more power amp channels. Your setup has built in subwoofer amps on both your main front as well as the rear surrounds so that will make it somewhat easier on the power amp at least. I'd try getting a good two channel amp first, to use with the main fronts. That will certainly sound better on those two front speakers while also making more power available for the rest still using the Yamaha's amps.
btmille likes this.

post #1410 of 2037 Old 02-07-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post
It depends on your budget, but Emotiva definitely should be at the top of your list for checking out. The best bet would be to take the main front speakers off the Yamaha and get a good two channel amp for them. Since your BP-8060st's are fairly efficient (92db), and have a built in subwoofer amp in them, something like an A-300 would be a cost effective way to make things sound better all around. That amp is a beefy 150 watts per channel at 8 ohms that doubles into 4 ohms. You can do that for 400 bucks new. The issue with a receiver with 7 channels of amplification like the 7810 / 781, is all of the channels draw from a common power supply, so the watts available per channel starts decreasing when you are using more power amp channels. Your setup has built in subwoofer amps on both your main front as well as the rear surrounds so that will make it somewhat easier on the power amp at least. I'd try getting a good two channel amp first, to use with the main fronts. That will certainly sound better on those two front speakers while also making more power available for the rest still using the Yamaha's amps.
Thank you! That's very helpful info. Here I was thinking I needed to look for a 5 channel amp or so to boost everything. My budget would be less than $800. So, that's a great idea!! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
amazon fire tv , hdmi (arc) , scad , vizio 2016/2017 e m & p-series displays , xbox one s , yahama , yamaha 585 , yamaha 7850

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page