The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha TSR-7810/RX-v781 Owner's thread. - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3156Likes

post #1501 of 2123 Old 03-05-2018, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Many stores are already stocking the TSR-5830, and have done so for a while. It’s also available online.
Yes, my local store had 11 5830s...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 2123 Old 03-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAVR View Post
My plan was to buy a TSR-7810 today, called all the Costco's in my areas...turns out they stopped stocking them in September of last year. They are still available on-line, but not in stores. Any chance they are going to get a new Yamaha in store to replace the 7810?
My store (Vermont) has several (10 or so) 7810s on the shelf. No 5830s...

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #1503 of 2123 Old 03-05-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 329
The TSR-7810 is a two year old model. For whatever reason, Yamaha marketing decided there would be no USA 'size 7' model in the 'RX-Vx83|TSR-x830' product range for 2017.

We are probably only a month or two from announcement of the likely-to-be-named 'RX-Vx85|TSR-x850' product range for 2018. The 'smallest' models are usually announced first with details of any planned new 6xx and 7xx models coming in June or later...?!

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 2123 Old 03-05-2018, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question on USB specs

I'm happy to have found this forum, and I hope someone can help with some info on the USB post on my TSR-7810. Does anyone know what the specs are? What are the limits on the USB capacity, number of files and folders, etc.? I've struggled with getting the receiver's USB function to work. It will read a 256GB, exFAT-formatted USB key, but would only read about 50 folders. I've tried formatting that to FAT32, which resulted in "Access Error." I've tried smaller USB keys - it will happily read a 2.0GB key, but that holds so little music it's worthless. I've tried 64GB keys, also formatted to exFAT and FAT32, and I get mixed results - sometimes reads only a few folders, sometimes gives and access error.

I have also tried a chat session with Yamaha tech support. The fellow I got checked with all of his co-workers, and the best they came back with is "it can read up to 8 folders." No, I don't think the fellow had any idea what he was saying, as common sense would suggest that 8 folders is totally inadequate for a music library (and the receiver read 50+ at one point...)

Soo... sorry for the rant, but it's been frustrating since other receiver manufacturers post in their manual what the max size, folder capacity, # of files, and formatting requirements are. Has anyone had success with larger libraries, and if so, please share your experience? Thanks in advance.
post #1505 of 2123 Old 03-06-2018, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What’s the best way to connect wireless speakers to Zone 2? I have a large open basement with half of it dedicated to my home theater (5.1.2), but often play music and would like a wireless speaker (or 2) for the other half so that the audio fills the whole basement for music. Would Rocketfish connected to the Zone 2 terminals (and AVR set for Zone 1 and Zone 2 to be activated in Party Mode) be the best solution? What about a Bluetooth transmitter connected to Zone 2 (paired w/ BT speakers) or Musiccast or Sonos speakers?

I don’t need Zone 2 to play a secondary source from Zone 1, just to replicate the Zone 1 source. I understand and am also OK with Zone 1 being downgraded to 5.1 in this scenario (hopefully it’s just the Atmos speakers that will be disabled, and not the L/C/R or surrounds when Zone 2 is active).
post #1506 of 2123 Old 03-06-2018, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdJurisd View Post
I'm happy to have found this forum, and I hope someone can help with some info on the USB post on my TSR-7810. Does anyone know what the specs are? What are the limits on the USB capacity, number of files and folders, etc.? I've struggled with getting the receiver's USB function to work. It will read a 256GB, exFAT-formatted USB key, but would only read about 50 folders. I've tried formatting that to FAT32, which resulted in "Access Error." I've tried smaller USB keys - it will happily read a 2.0GB key, but that holds so little music it's worthless. I've tried 64GB keys, also formatted to exFAT and FAT32, and I get mixed results - sometimes reads only a few folders, sometimes gives and access error.

I have also tried a chat session with Yamaha tech support. The fellow I got checked with all of his co-workers, and the best they came back with is "it can read up to 8 folders." No, I don't think the fellow had any idea what he was saying, as common sense would suggest that 8 folders is totally inadequate for a music library (and the receiver read 50+ at one point...)

Soo... sorry for the rant, but it's been frustrating since other receiver manufacturers post in their manual what the max size, folder capacity, # of files, and formatting requirements are. Has anyone had success with larger libraries, and if so, please share your experience? Thanks in advance.
I’ve had intermittent success on my 775 in reading my 80GB library on a NAS, but it takes a long time to index ... and often craps out without loading the whole thing. I don’t think these receivers are up to the task of a really large library, e.g. 12,000 tracks.

Check the OM, it may contain notes about the maximum memory card size supported.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #1507 of 2123 Old 03-06-2018, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I’ve had intermittent success on my 775 in reading my 80GB library on a NAS, but it takes a long time to index ... and often craps out without loading the whole thing. I don’t think these receivers are up to the task of a really large library, e.g. 12,000 tracks.

Check the OM, it may contain notes about the maximum memory card size supported.
I have roughly 30,000 FLAC and DSD songs. I can get the 7810 to index up to the R’s off a hard drive plugged into my router. It has stopped at that point multiple times. All of the songs are in folders for each artist and album.

Last edited by MattB0801; 03-06-2018 at 11:11 PM.
post #1508 of 2123 Old 03-07-2018, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I checked the OM first - says nothing about capacity, number of folders, number of files, etc.

I did a test yesterday with a 32GB USB, progressively filling it and trying to see if the receiver saw all folders. It ended up being capable of seeing all 30GB of music, but strangely, after an hour of playing, the sound started to cut out intermittently. Looking at the Musiccast app controller, the pause button flickered each time the music "flickered". Has anyone experienced that? Same behavior when I switched from USB to Network (playing a USB off of my DLNA server), so I don't think it was a USB memory stick issue. I shut off the receiver and let it cool down, and 20 minutes later that behavior was gone. Has anyone seen anything like that before? Might I have a defective unit?
post #1509 of 2123 Old 03-08-2018, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPFury View Post
Recently got the 7810, been very happy with it. I have a pair of the Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Add-on Speakers on the way, and wanted to get some confirmation on how the Yamaha will handle 2D and 3D audio content (set up will be 5.1.2)

For 2D audio content
- Neural:X or Dolby Surround setting will upmix to pseudo 3D audio

For 3D audio content
- Straight setting will pass through any native 3D audio content

IF Yamaha is on Neural:X setting:
- DTS:X content will play its native 3D audio
- Atmos content will be overridden by the Neural:X processing and the Yamaha will output pseudo 3D audio

IF Yamaha is on the Dolby Surround setting:
- Atmos content will play its native 3D audio
- DTS:X content will be overridden by the Dolby processing and the Yamaha will output pseudo 3D audio

My question is, will I need to switch back and forth between "Straight" and one of the upmixing decoders everytime I play content w/ native 3D audio? Most of my media is non-3D. Is there a particular setting that is best suited for both 2D and 3D audio if I want output from all 7 speakers all the time? Thanks!
I find that the Neural:X adds "more" than the Dolby upmixing. However, I always switch to "straight" when I have 3D content. I learned my lesson by watching Wonder Woman, while unaware that my Neural:X setting downgraded the original Atmos sound.
aHelpingHand likes this.

Vizio M-55 | Yamaha TSR-7810 | Fronts: Fluance XL5 | Sides: Fluance XLBP (BiPolars) | Heights: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | SVS PC-2000 | OPPO UDP-203
Lots of work left to do...
post #1510 of 2123 Old 03-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricyboy View Post
I find that the Neural:X adds "more" than the Dolby upmixing. However, I always switch to "straight" when I have 3D content. I learned my lesson by watching Wonder Woman, while unaware that my Neural:X setting downgraded the original Atmos sound.

I've always enjoyed my music played through some sort of surround processor, going back to 1974 with a Dynaquad adapter. Then an Advent Soundspace control, a Yamaha DSP 1, and on an on to taday's built in surround processors like the Yamaha receivers have. I've found I prefer the Neural X DSP setting with my two channel music library on the 7810. It sounds better to me than the Dolby surround setting, or any of the Yamaha preset hall or club settings.. When one of the DTS 5.1 music recordings on my server starts to play, the receiver switches to DTS 5.1 for that selection.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.
post #1511 of 2123 Old 03-11-2018, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi there, first post and first timer with a home theater set -up.
While building my new house I had pre-wired for 5.1 Surround and had a second set of speakers wired for the back patio.
The surround speakers are Klipsch CDT2650 speakers for the front, center and rear ( all ceiling mounted ) still looking for a sub at this time.

I want to purchase the 7810, but just want to ensure it will provide the functionality I am looking for.

It will have an Samsung 55 curved UHD and Xfinity cable box, plus a blu-ray player of some sort. I used to use my Xbox, but it is moving to it's own TV.

other than that, i just need to power the outside speakers. With that, I want to be able to have someone watch TV on the surround sound, and also listen to music on the back patio.

If I understand what I have read, this is possible (correct?) Will I be limited to using a phone or iPod as the source for the Zone 2 Audio?

Thanks for helping a cherry out!!!

McG
post #1512 of 2123 Old 03-11-2018, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGangsta View Post
Hi there, first post and first timer with a home theater set -up.
While building my new house I had pre-wired for 5.1 Surround and had a second set of speakers wired for the back patio.
The surround speakers are Klipsch CDT2650 speakers for the front, center and rear ( all ceiling mounted ) still looking for a sub at this time.

I want to purchase the 7810, but just want to ensure it will provide the functionality I am looking for.

It will have an Samsung 55 curved UHD and Xfinity cable box, plus a blu-ray player of some sort. I used to use my Xbox, but it is moving to it's own TV.

other than that, i just need to power the outside speakers. With that, I want to be able to have someone watch TV on the surround sound, and also listen to music on the back patio.

If I understand what I have read, this is possible (correct?) Will I be limited to using a phone or iPod as the source for the Zone 2 Audio?

Thanks for helping a cherry out!!!

McG
Hi, "Cherry." The 7810/RX-v781 does limit Zone 2 to audio content unless you enable Party Mode, but you have more choices than just phone or iPod.

You mentioned that you want powered speakers for the patio, then you could use the Zone 2 PRE-OUTs on the AVR.

If you download the manual from Yamaha you can check on this in the details pages for "Playback on Zone 2." Check out page 88.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...l#product-tabs

For a capable sub at an Internet-direct price, I recommend you shop Hsu Research, SVS, and PSA (Power Sound Audio).
bricyboy and McGangsta like this.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #1513 of 2123 Old 03-11-2018, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Apple TV 4K will not output DV or HDR

Hi all, I'm having problems with Apple TV 4K not outputting Dolby Vision or HDR. This problem happened a couple days ago. I did have DV and HDR, but for some reason, it doesn't work anymore. This problem only happens when it is connected to my receiver.

Gear:
Apple TV 4K
Vizio P65
TSR-7810

I have tried:
  • Turning off the TV, Apple TV, and receiver and also unplugged all of them.
  • On receiver: Switching to mode 1 to see if it would work, and switching back to mode 2
  • Checking that my cables are compliant (all cables are from AmazonBasics and have worked before)
  • Unplugging everything and plugging back in
  • Turning off CEC on everything
  • Latest firmware on everything

I have tried using the Oppo-203 and that was able to output HDR fine. I have also unplugged the Apple TV and put it into my Vizio, and it plays DV fine. It's only when I plug it into my receiver that I have any problems.

If you guys have any other tips, let me know!

EDIT: One thing I should also note, is that this affects 4K DV/HDR 50-60Hz. 1080p DV/HDR 60 Hz is fine. So I'm not sure whats going on.

Last edited by blast_mastah; 03-11-2018 at 10:58 PM.
post #1514 of 2123 Old 03-12-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 337
When I was in advanced setup switching my receiver to mode 1 from mode 2 I noticed the setting DTS mode 2. Not sure what this is and if I should be switching it to mode 1 ? Thanks for your help

Matt
post #1515 of 2123 Old 03-12-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
When I was in advanced setup switching my receiver to mode 1 from mode 2 I noticed the setting DTS mode 2. Not sure what this is and if I should be switching it to mode 1 ? Thanks for your help
DTS Notification Mode. Default should be 1, leave it there if you have no problems.

Further reading: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/audio/DTS...r_PCM_Bug.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-03-12 at 13.35.11.png
Views:	844
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	2374150  

post #1516 of 2123 Old 03-12-2018, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Pressing the INFO or DISPLAY buttons on the remote will show you this.

Many stores are already stocking the TSR-5830, and have done so for a while. It’s also available online.
Thanks, as you suggested pressing display on the remote works to post the audio format.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #1517 of 2123 Old 03-13-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Hi to anyone who can help or guide me to the correct thread...

I have a Yamaha RX-V781 and just recently bought an Oppo player. The problem that I'm having is that the Player worked for a day on HDMI 4 but now its not picking up the player.. I can connect the player to any other HDMI input and it works but what's weird is that I can connect anything else to HDMI 4 and it picks it up.. I can plug in the xbox, cable box and ps4 and they all work..
Here is where it gets weird, when I do a test tone sound comes out.. But when I go to Information and then Audio Signal channel, sampling, bitrate, dialogue and channel they are all blank.

I would tell you HDMI 4 is broken but it works with every other source I plug into it.. The Oppo did work for a a few hours but I think I must of change something on the receiver (not on the oppo) and have a settings wrong on it.. I have change the cables and I'm willing to resetting the receiver but I want to hear from you guys first.. I don't want to reset the receiver if you know it won't do nothing..

Thank you..
post #1518 of 2123 Old 03-13-2018, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
TSR-7810 Bluetooth question

Hello all,

I'm considering upgrading my beloved RX-V775 to the TSR-7810. But I do have one requirement, and I'm not sure if the TSR-7810 can fulfill it.

My wife is a bit hard of hearing, and relies on headphones to hear our programming while I typically listen over our speakers. With the 775, we accomplish that by putting the AVR into "Party" mode, which allows our our wireless headphones to operate simultaneously with our speakers.

My question: will the 7810 allow Bluetooth headphones to operate at the same time as the speakers? If it does, will it place the speakers into a stereo configuration much like Party mode does?

Thanks in advance,

Carl
post #1519 of 2123 Old 03-15-2018, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Folks: I have a question about the signal processing stage of the Aventage series vs the regular TSR-7810 series.

I have posted it in the Aventage Thread also:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post55861298

TL;DR

Are the pre-amps section the same between this and the Aventage?
post #1520 of 2123 Old 03-15-2018, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by calessi View Post
Hello all,

I'm considering upgrading my beloved RX-V775 to the TSR-7810. But I do have one requirement, and I'm not sure if the TSR-7810 can fulfill it.

My wife is a bit hard of hearing, and relies on headphones to hear our programming while I typically listen over our speakers. With the 775, we accomplish that by putting the AVR into "Party" mode, which allows our our wireless headphones to operate simultaneously with our speakers.

My question: will the 7810 allow Bluetooth headphones to operate at the same time as the speakers? If it does, will it place the speakers into a stereo configuration much like Party mode does?

Thanks in advance,

Carl
I know the TSR-7810 has a party mode, but I haven't used it. I honestly don't know when I would, or what to expect, but it does have it.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #1521 of 2123 Old 03-16-2018, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm debating if I should buy this receiver to replace my 12 year old RX-v659, that has had some issues.

1. The YPAO auto calibrate is and always has been a joke. It sounds awful and I have to basically just tweak everything from distance to speaker size, etc. I thought it was the room I had it in and found out that it wasn't any better in the room I set it up in now, which is much larger than the original one, but it does the same thing. A friend's RX-v659 does exactly the same thing. Another friend has a lower end Yamaha, I don't remember the model and the YPAO works a lot better than I expected. Not perfect, but much closer than the 659's does. It doesn't sound right without tweaking, but it doesn't sound awful.
2. About once a year, I have to do a hard reset, and start over from scratch. The front speakers almost totally drop out and only the front center does anything. My friend's receiver doesn't do this. It's my main complaint about it. I have used two different sets of front speakers on it. I have an SVS-SB01 5.1 set up with an older Sony 12" powered sub, and a couple of mystery modded RS Minimus speakers for the side surrounds. Those will be retired to my laptop. Since I live in an apartment now, volume won't/cant be excessive so the Sony is ok. The other speakers are a friend's pair of Q Audio 3020 speakers which I like very much so I ordered a pair and those will be my front speakers, and the SVS's will be the surrounds.
3. No great loss, but I stepped on the YPAO mike and killed it, and it about killed me when I did it. Looks like they are about $20 bucks or so for a new one. But what's the point if it doesn't work right anyway?

Does YPAO work correctly now on this model?
It seems most people are happy with this receiver. Is the sound as good as the RX-V659? I have no complaints as it sounds pretty good for a home theater receiver. My 45 year old stuff sounds a lot better in 2 channel than any modern receiver I've heard does. It just can't match the power output and convenience. The FM on my old timer sounds great, but it's actually made with mostly discrete components, so I guess it should..
post #1522 of 2123 Old 03-16-2018, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Woot has a "Factory Reconditioned" TSR-7810 for $370 today, and I pulled the trigger. I am moving next month to a smaller newly built home so I will be dismantling my existing projector-based home theater and setting up a new HDTV system in the new family room. My existing Harmon Kardon receiver does not handle 4k and I have been eyeing this receiver at Costco. This deal only saves $120, which doesn't seem like a lot, but it is to me. I have had good experiences with factory refurbished stuff, and in one sense they can be better with less infant mortality. I understand Woot is not at all what it used to be and is now a dumping ground for Amazon, but WTH, I'm going to give it a go. I'll be back to soak up info and likely ask a bunch of questions!
aHelpingHand likes this.
post #1523 of 2123 Old 03-16-2018, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Hi to anyone who can help or guide me to the correct thread...

I have a Yamaha RX-V781 and just recently bought an Oppo player. The problem that I'm having is that the Player worked for a day on HDMI 4 but now its not picking up the player.. I can connect the player to any other HDMI input and it works but what's weird is that I can connect anything else to HDMI 4 and it picks it up.. I can plug in the xbox, cable box and ps4 and they all work..
Here is where it gets weird, when I do a test tone sound comes out.. But when I go to Information and then Audio Signal channel, sampling, bitrate, dialogue and channel they are all blank.

I would tell you HDMI 4 is broken but it works with every other source I plug into it.. The Oppo did work for a a few hours but I think I must of change something on the receiver (not on the oppo) and have a settings wrong on it.. I have change the cables and I'm willing to resetting the receiver but I want to hear from you guys first.. I don't want to reset the receiver if you know it won't do nothing..

Thank you..
You are aware that only HDMI Inputs 1-3 are HDCP 2.2? HDMI 4 is not. If you have a 4K Oppo then you must use HDMI 1-3 and not 4. The back of the Yamaha shows you this. Also make sure you are using a certified high premium HDMI cable for your 4K devices.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha RX-V781 back.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	787.9 KB
ID:	2376164  
ChromeJob likes this.

Afro GT
post #1524 of 2123 Old 03-16-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrd515 View Post
I'm debating if I should buy this receiver to replace my 12 year old RX-v659, that has had some issues.

1. The YPAO auto calibrate is and always has been a joke. It sounds awful and I have to basically just tweak everything from distance to speaker size, etc. I thought it was the room I had it in and found out that it wasn't any better in the room I set it up in now, which is much larger than the original one, but it does the same thing. A friend's RX-v659 does exactly the same thing. Another friend has a lower end Yamaha, I don't remember the model and the YPAO works a lot better than I expected. Not perfect, but much closer than the 659's does. It doesn't sound right without tweaking, but it doesn't sound awful.
2. About once a year, I have to do a hard reset, and start over from scratch. The front speakers almost totally drop out and only the front center does anything. My friend's receiver doesn't do this. It's my main complaint about it. I have used two different sets of front speakers on it. I have an SVS-SB01 5.1 set up with an older Sony 12" powered sub, and a couple of mystery modded RS Minimus speakers for the side surrounds. Those will be retired to my laptop. Since I live in an apartment now, volume won't/cant be excessive so the Sony is ok. The other speakers are a friend's pair of Q Audio 3020 speakers which I like very much so I ordered a pair and those will be my front speakers, and the SVS's will be the surrounds.
3. No great loss, but I stepped on the YPAO mike and killed it, and it about killed me when I did it. Looks like they are about $20 bucks or so for a new one. But what's the point if it doesn't work right anyway?

Does YPAO work correctly now on this model?
It seems most people are happy with this receiver. Is the sound as good as the RX-V659? I have no complaints as it sounds pretty good for a home theater receiver. My 45 year old stuff sounds a lot better in 2 channel than any modern receiver I've heard does. It just can't match the power output and convenience. The FM on my old timer sounds great, but it's actually made with mostly discrete components, so I guess it should..
I'm coming from a RS-V765 that was new around 2009, so not quite as old as your old receiver, but the TSR-7810 does sound the same or better with movies not encoded with DTS-X or Dolby Atmos. The YPAO seemed to work -- although it worked on the old one as well, at least it appears to get the distances right using the single point YPAO. It did say some of my speakers were large and I had to switch them to small. The TSR-7810 also has multipoint YPAO which I hear works really well, but I was too lazy to try it. To me, FM radio sounds about the same. Using Pandora though, sounds much better than the radio, which the old receiver doesn't have. The Wifi on the new receiver works great as well, and controlling it from a computer or a cell phone is pretty amazing. I felt silly changing the stations on Pandora from the bathroom, but it worked. (The door was open).

If there is a negative, is that the remote is not an upgrade, and the old receiver's remote seemed to have more functions than the new one.
post #1525 of 2123 Old 03-16-2018, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
You are aware that only HDMI Inputs 1-3 are HDCP 2.2? HDMI 4 is not. If you have a 4K Oppo then you must use HDMI 1-3 and not 4. The back of the Yamaha shows you this. Also make sure you are using a certified high premium HDMI cable for your 4K devices.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

Hi yes I'm aware thank you.. I'm not looking to pick up a 4k signal through HDMI4 or HDMI5 I just need a 1080p signal from the OPPO but I'm not picking up anything from the player.. Whats odd is that I can connect the xbox or ps4 to HDMI4 but not the player..

Now, if I connect the player to HDMI5 it works.. So like I said before I would tell you HDMI4 is broken but it works with everything else except the player...
post #1526 of 2123 Old 03-16-2018, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I recently bought a TSR-7810 to replace an Outlaw 990 pre amp processor in a 5.1 channel music system. I was always very happy with the sound I was getting using the Outlaw. I've been rather surprised though, that lots of what I listen to sounds noticeably better using the 7810 as the pre amp processor for my system. The speakers are Magnepan 1.7's for the front, Magnepan CC3 for the center and Magnepan mmg's for the surround. I use separate power amps, Emotiva XPA2 for the fronts, and Adcom power amps for the center and surrounds. I also have a powered Infinity SSW 210 subwoofer.

So, why does the Yamaha sound better? I listen to streaming audio from Folk Alley and Pandora, as well as ripped CD's in lossless format through a Logitech Squeezebox Touch system . I use digital inputs on the Yamaha for the Touch, just as I did with the Outlaw. The better sound is especially noticeable on Folk Alley streams through the yamaha directly. I do have the "enhance" feature activated on the Yamaha which is supposed to help make compressed music, like mp3 sound better. Is that what's making the difference? I had a similar feature on the Outlaw 990 that I never thought made any difference.

Obviously, I'm pleased with the Yamaha, but I sure wasn't expecting to hear that much of an improvement from what I had before. Now I'm curious why I got the results that I did.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.
post #1527 of 2123 Old 03-17-2018, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post
I'm coming from a RS-V765 that was new around 2009, so not quite as old as your old receiver, but the TSR-7810 does sound the same or better with movies not encoded with DTS-X or Dolby Atmos. The YPAO seemed to work -- although it worked on the old one as well, at least it appears to get the distances right using the single point YPAO. It did say some of my speakers were large and I had to switch them to small. The TSR-7810 also has multipoint YPAO which I hear works really well, but I was too lazy to try it. To me, FM radio sounds about the same. Using Pandora though, sounds much better than the radio, which the old receiver doesn't have. The Wifi on the new receiver works great as well, and controlling it from a computer or a cell phone is pretty amazing. I felt silly changing the stations on Pandora from the bathroom, but it worked. (The door was open).

If there is a negative, is that the remote is not an upgrade, and the old receiver's remote seemed to have more functions than the new one.
At the price it was, $359+ ship and tax, $402 something total, I went for it. The RX-V659 is the only Yamaha thing I've ever had that I had any issues with at all, so I wasn't really afraid of buying something else they made. I hope the new one's auto setup works, but as long as it doesn't have to be hard reset and lose everything, I'll be ok. It sounded fine, except when I let it set itself up, it got nothing right at all. Not speaker size, distance, etc, it was totally off base, and would sound like you were in a bathroom playing an old transistor radio. I think I will like the cell phone control on the new one, I never liked the 659's remote much, mostly it was confusing and the light up keypad was a bad joke. One thing I notice and don't really like is the newer receivers of around the same level as the old ones seem to be getting lighter. I think the TSR-7810 is over 3 pounds lighter than the 659 is. I wonder where it came out? They are about the same size. Hopefully, it's not on the power supply. Of all my receivers over the years, my Panasonic SA-6500 (It says Technics all over the inside of it) from 1973 has by far the best FM I've ever heard short of a friend with big bucks' Sequerra, that thing was amazing. And it should have been for $2000+. My old SA-6500 finally died, but I bought one on ebay that has some cabinet issues, but plays fine and was $20 plus shipping. It's built like a tank, and I sold many of them back when I was selling stereo stuff in high school with my unit as a demo. I bought them on closeout for $212 from Dixie Hi-Fi, and sold them for $400 a pop. My dad practically had a meltdown when he saw all the boxes of them in the back seat of my car. He asked me what they were and I told him, then he started huffing and puffing, and said, "How much money is in the back?". I said, "I paid $1060 for all 5 of them!"(My second and final bunch). He starts yelling at me, "What if you get stuck with them?". After I told him to let me talk about 10 times, I told him, "I already sold all of them!". Oh, he got really quiet on the way home. The Panasonic stuff almost never had problems, but the cheaper Pioneer , Kenwood, and the worst, Sansui, no matter how much it cost, all had soldering issues back then. I got really good at finding bad solder joints on stuff because sending units in meant they were gone a long time, and I was able to fix the issues myself probably 98% of the time in less than 20 minutes. I would warn people about Sansui, but I still sold some of it. And regretted it. I dropped all the Sansui stuff, and the lower end Ken and Pioneer before I quit selling it totally in 1975 when I left town. Thanks for the reply.
bricyboy likes this.
post #1528 of 2123 Old 03-17-2018, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokai View Post
When I first got this reciever I though the same thing about lack of bass, but it was because my previous reciever with these speakers was always set to 100hz. This one defaults to 80hz which my smaller speakers dont like. Things changed once I set the speakers to 100hz and let my sub handle the lows below 100hz.
Can you please post the procedure for manually adjusting Xover points for the individual speakers?

Thanks!
post #1529 of 2123 Old 03-17-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha TSR-7810/RX-v781 Owner's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Oz View Post
Can you please post the procedure for manually adjusting Xover points for the individual speakers?

Thanks!
On screen, Setup, Manual Setup, Configuration I think. It’s in the manual.[1] The 7810 may not support bass cross over settings for individual speakers.

[1] Well, I looked into the PDF manual last night and didn’t find it. Odd omission. O_o

Last edited by ChromeJob; 03-18-2018 at 08:30 AM.
post #1530 of 2123 Old 03-17-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
On screen, Setup, Manual Setup, Configuration I think. It’s in the manual. The 7810 may not support bass cross over settings for individual speakers.
It does -- that is, if you mean by hertz, the manual configuration can put each speaker at from 40 to 100 hertz.
ChromeJob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
amazon fire tv , hdmi (arc) , scad , vizio 2016/2017 e m & p-series displays , xbox one s , yahama , yamaha 585 , yamaha 7850

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page