The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha TSR-7810/RX-v781 Owner's thread. - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3157Likes

post #1591 of 2140 Old 04-11-2018, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeener71 View Post
Everything seems to working pretty good so far, but I primarily use my gaming PC connected to my UHDTV. I noticed it likes to switch/detect PCM when I play games, use my computer. When I watch Blu-ray movies using PowerDVD version 17, I noticed for "Blade Runner 2049" it switched/detected Dolby Digital, and when I watched "The Shape of Water" it detected/switched to DTS. I am assuming the receiver detects/switches to the best format capable. Also I was wondering for you PC experts is there a way I can get Bitstream? I have heard this is better than PCM...

Thanks!
OK I did some research and...

I am assuming that the PCM that shows on my receiver when playing games is Multichannel Linear PCM since I hear the audio coming out of all 7 speakers and the sub.

I guess Bitstream (HD Audio) works on my Blu-Ray movies played on my Blu-Ray drive with Blu-Ray software (PowerDVD) is choosing either Dolby Digital or DTS (the best Audio Signal Format the receiver thinks is the best format)

I actually run my TV at 1080p/120Hz so seeing if that has any impact on my audio.

Here is a cool site for the PC Gamers out there, and I know you guys, maybe girls are out there...

http://satsun.org/audio/

NOTE: yes I know I quoted myself

Vizio 70" p702ui-b3 UHDTV | Yamaha TSR-7810 4K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC AMERICA PL 200 II (Sub) | JBL Studio Speakers 190x2 (F), 180x2(S), 130x2 (RS), 120c (C) | ASROCK Z87 | I7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Zotac Nvidia 1070 | Windows 10 64bit | PS4 XBox1X WiiU Switch | Samsung Galaxy S8 Active (Android Version 8 Oreo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 2140 Old 04-12-2018, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
New to the forum and to AV receivers. I just picked up the TRS-7810 and found this thread. Lots of great info. I did do a search and didn't find an answer to my question.

I am in the middle of wiring my house for 7.1 and have the wall open that I am running my wires up to my attic. I am trying to go for a very clean look with all my equipment in the basement away from the living room where my TV will be. All the speakers will be wall mounted and I am going to be running the Yamaha through the network via the app.

I am going to have to run an extension for the YPAO mic to have the receiver calibrate the speakers once they are in place. Will this affect the calibration? I believe that I will need about another 15-20 feet of cable for the mic to reach from the listening spot to the receiver.
bricyboy likes this.
post #1593 of 2140 Old 04-12-2018, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I didn't expect that. It makes the RX-V781 slightly less attractive as a possible front end for great huge power amps. (Not that I ever intend to buy any.)
This is extremely disappointing to me. I just bought the 7810 from Costco and couldn't figure out why I could only get surround back to pass as preamp output. I have emotiva amps(xpa5 & a700). The a700 cannot even be connected. It was the only reason I bought it(i.e. to run atmos and future proof myself)...Good thing Costco had a good return policy. it might be going back; but I have 90 days to decide I guess....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1594 of 2140 Old 04-12-2018, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Calibration Questions: YPAO

Hello,

Total Newbie seeking direction. I have so many questions so I will just ask. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

YPAO Multi Point or no YPAO and use SPL meter (75db, c weighted) and a tape measure?

If I do use YPAO (multi point), can you please advise if you see anything wrong with this procedure?

Run YPAO (Muliti Point)
Set speakers to small, 80hz (it classifies them as large)
Since speaker distance did not match, I manually entered the correct speaker distance for all speakers
I manually set all levels to 75db with my SPL meter
Adjusted Atmos Modules +5db hot
Adjusted Rear surrounds +2db hot
Adjusted Center +3db hot

In short, am I not supposed to do anything manual after doing YPAO?
Again..any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Robert

AVR: Yamaha TSR7810
Amp: Outlaw Model 5000
LR Speakers: Klipsch RP 280F
Center: Klipsch RP 450C
Surround: Pioneer Andrew Jones Bookshelfs (Not Elite)
Atmos Modules Klipsch RP 140SA
post #1595 of 2140 Old 04-12-2018, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked: 1636
run everything else thru the preouts and use the speaker terminals for Atmos. They should get plenty of power that way.

Or buy a Denon x3300 or higher.

Afro GT
post #1596 of 2140 Old 04-13-2018, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha TSR-7810/RX-v781 Owner's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDEF2013 View Post
…Total Newbie seeking direction. I have so many questions so I will just ask. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Since speaker distance did not match, I manually entered the correct speaker distance for all speakers

In short, am I not supposed to do anything manual after doing YPAO?

Again..any feedback would be appreciated!
Don’t adjust the distances after YPAO, the distances are actually based on delays measured in the room. Setting levels based on an SPL, REW, or to taste is fine.
Briguy65 likes this.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? => Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. Respect our fine Moderators. And RTFM, always.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 04-13-2018 at 07:19 AM.
post #1597 of 2140 Old 04-14-2018, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This is my third and last attempt at getting a response around here:

Problems with video outputs. Shutting down a tv with both outputs active causes a loss of handshake with tv that remained on. Is this normal?

I have some balluns (hdmi extenders) passing video and audio signal out to each tv. Cat6a between the balluns and HDMI 2.2 cables from balluns to AVR and to TVs. When AVR is left off for a bit I rarely can get the handshake to reestablish itself unless I toggle the input on the tv. Major hassle to say the least.

Any suggestions?
post #1598 of 2140 Old 04-15-2018, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I don't know if this helps, but if I shut off my TV while I have the receiver in TV mode, the indicator on the front panel of the 7810 goes off, and most, but not all of the time, I have to hit "TV" again before I get a signal to my TV. If I turn off the TV to leave the sound on when I'm gone, the 7810 mutes, which annoys me. I'm just using straight HDMI cables 2 meters long.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #1599 of 2140 Old 04-15-2018, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davishula View Post
Question: Normal or a problem with this AVR? When running two TVs using HDMI outs 1+2 I find that shutting off one TV ( leaving the output selection on AVR as is ) results in the TV that remained on losing video and sound drops. I am using Zigen HDMI extenders with Cat6a.
The use of extenders is probably complicating matters. Does it work out if you turn off the HDMI output on the AVR? If yes, that’s your solution.

Your first post was very long and detailed, I’m not sure anyone finished reading it. Short and concise probably works better in this thread. :}
Davishula likes this.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? => Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. Respect our fine Moderators. And RTFM, always.
post #1600 of 2140 Old 04-16-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
The use of extenders is probably complicating matters. Does it work out if you turn off the HDMI output on the AVR? If yes, that’s your solution.

Your first post was very long and detailed, I’m not sure anyone finished reading it. Short and concise probably works better in this thread. :}
I read it, but then something popped up and I totally forgot about it. Not very helpful I know, but that is what happened.

The more things you throw into the mix the more likely one part/piece won't play well with others.
ChromeJob and Davishula like this.

Vizio 70" p702ui-b3 UHDTV | Yamaha TSR-7810 4K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC AMERICA PL 200 II (Sub) | JBL Studio Speakers 190x2 (F), 180x2(S), 130x2 (RS), 120c (C) | ASROCK Z87 | I7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Zotac Nvidia 1070 | Windows 10 64bit | PS4 XBox1X WiiU Switch | Samsung Galaxy S8 Active (Android Version 8 Oreo)
post #1601 of 2140 Old 04-16-2018, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to setup a chromecast that I can use for Zone 2 but it is my understanding that you cannot have a digital audio source for zone 2 and my HTPC on zone 1.

Any suggestions? I have thought about a Chromecast audio but if i wanted to cast something with video, i couldnt display it on the TV. First world problems - i know LOL.
post #1602 of 2140 Old 04-16-2018, 07:07 PM

Volume Levels / Zones / Controls with a TSR-7810 / RX-V781

I would like to have easier and better control of the volume in my zone 2 areas which include 1 speaker in the kitchen and 2 patio speakers. I have been considering installing two volume controls but would like your feedback. I think the setup is important so here goes. Is there a certain type of volume control i should consider? Can it be powered? Should i handle this differently? Do i need to worry about ohms or anything like that if i install volume controls? Any recommendation on types of controls?

I have a living room and kitchen right next to each other with a patio off of the kitchen. I have 2 fronts, a center, and 2 (in ceiling) rears in the living room, a single speaker (thinking about adding another) in the kitchen and 2 outdoor speakers on the patio. I have a Yamaha TSR-7810 and run the 5 speakers off of the regular speaker outputs. The zone two is plugged into the surround back speaker terminals (i am open to doing this differently - i believe if i use the true zone 2 it would cut the am power down on the fronts / zone 2 like a speaker A/B setup). The surround back is going to a cheap un-powered speaker selector from Monoprice.

Most of the time i leave the patio speakers off on the speaker selector. I have polk audio RTI 10's and all inside speakers timber match those speakers including the in ceilings. The patio has a set of cheaper polk audio outdoor speakers.
post #1603 of 2140 Old 04-19-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natic View Post
Is there a certain type of volume control i should consider? Can it be powered? Should i handle this differently? Do i need to worry about ohms or anything like that if i install volume controls? Any recommendation on types of controls?
Have you tried the "Yamaha AV Controller" app? I use it on my Android phone, but I only have/use one main zone.

Last edited by jkeener71; 04-19-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: additional info
post #1604 of 2140 Old 04-19-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Have you tried the "Yamaha AV Controller" app? I use it on my Android phone, but I only have/use one main zone.
since they are on the same output, the volumes have to be the same for the patio and kitchen zone 2 setups. I am trying to make the kitchen and or patio different volumes.
post #1605 of 2140 Old 04-19-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I read it, but then something popped up and I totally forgot about it. Not very helpful I know, but that is what happened.

The more things you throw into the mix the more likely one part/piece won't play well with others.
Quote:

Ahh...you're right. Too much coffee perhaps? Thanks for the replies! Ok so not sure I follow about turning off HDMI output. Do you mean turning off BOTH HDMI video outputs? I don't see why an extender would cause a handshake issue or pass-through issue.

I have a Logitec remote and tried some customized routines that seems to be a work-around by toggling what inputs/outputs I want on or off. For example, I've had a weird handshake issue with my Vizio and Directv or Appletv so having the remote do a routine of toggling the HDMI inputs on the tv helped to make sure I get a handshake established on that TV. No such problems with my TCL tv.

Not sure there's a fix other than switching the HDMIs on/off depending upon which TVs are on or off. So the drop out isn't happening for others and you can leave both HDMI outputs on irrespective of whether only one TV is on?

One other thing: I have a huge latency issue. Video is running way ahead of the sound. I don't think there are any delays set on the AVR and I think its passing through video without processing. Any thoughts or suggestions there? This is really frustrating to spend a lot of $$$ on nice equipment and have this going on.
post #1606 of 2140 Old 04-20-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:

One other thing: I have a huge latency issue. Video is running way ahead of the sound. I don't think there are any delays set on the AVR and I think its passing through video without processing. Any thoughts or suggestions there? This is really frustrating to spend a lot of $$$ on nice equipment and have this going on.
Maybe try checking your settings and look for Video Processing, and you will have 2 options:

Direct - Disables the video signal processing
Processing - Enables the video signal processing
ChromeJob likes this.

post #1607 of 2140 Old 04-20-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe try checking your settings and look for Video Processing, and you will have 2 options:

Direct - Disables the video signal processing
Processing - Enables the video signal processing
Thanks but I found a setting n the tv menu that was set for gaming low latency. Switching that off solved the latency issue. AVR was already configured for direct mode.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #1608 of 2140 Old 04-21-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks but I found a setting n the tv menu that was set for gaming low latency. Switching that off solved the latency issue. AVR was already configured for direct mode.
So still not clear on whether others who are simply using HDMI cables (no extenders like me) are having problems where you can't keep BOTH HDMI outputs on and ONLY one TV on without eventually losing the signal to the TV that remained on? Again, I can use my Harmony remote to set routines to do a work-around but this is annoying.

I also discovered yet another problem where when running Apple TV 4k I wind up seeing a snowy or lightning storm looking picture randomly and only switching the HDMI output off then on again seems to get the picture to return to normal. If I don't do that the picture doesn't return. Am I alone in this problem as well? It doesn't seem that DirecTV ever does this but the Apple TV is running in HDR 30Hz 4:2:2 and the DirecTV is running at lower resolution (whatever standard HD is).

I don't really have the option to go back to straight HDMI cable connections so desperately seeking a solution.
post #1609 of 2140 Old 04-22-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha TSR-7810/RX-v781 Owner's thread.

Quote:
I don't really have the option to go back to straight HDMI cable connections so desperately seeking a solution.
How long are your total HDMI cable runs? What brand/model of HDMI extenders? What brand/model of HDMI cables? This is creeping beyond the scope of this thread, but I have a hunch that your cabling is the issue.

post #1610 of 2140 Old 04-22-2018, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok.. need some help please...

I did do a lot of searching.

I recently purchased the Sony XBR75X940E. HDR10, Dolby Vision, etc. I use Apple TV 4k, Xbox One S and Directv non-4k.

I have tried many HDMI connection variations and am using 18gbps cables from Monoprice.

My trouble seems to be specific to Apple TV 4k and a little with the X-Box.

Apple TV: When I connect directly to Sony, I do get Dolby Vision capability. But when I run it through the Yamaha 7810, the best I can get is 4K SDR 60Hz. Not even HDR.

X-Box: Test says TV supports 4K UHD but does not support HDR10.

I have made 4k mode setting on Yamaha to Mode 1. Have video mode set to Direct.

I've also tried the Sony Enhanced HDMI signal format and that didn't help and made some things worse.

All firmware is current.

Is this receiver just not capable of passing HDR/Dolby Vision? Would I be better off with RX-A1070?
post #1611 of 2140 Old 04-22-2018, 09:24 PM

Liked: 0
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacbellguy View Post
Ok.. need some help please...

I did do a lot of searching.

I recently purchased the Sony XBR75X940E. HDR10, Dolby Vision, etc. I use Apple TV 4k, Xbox One S and Directv non-4k.

I have tried many HDMI connection variations and am using 18gbps cables from Monoprice.

My trouble seems to be specific to Apple TV 4k and a little with the X-Box.

Apple TV: When I connect directly to Sony, I do get Dolby Vision capability. But when I run it through the Yamaha 7810, the best I can get is 4K SDR 60Hz. Not even HDR.

X-Box: Test says TV supports 4K UHD but does not support HDR10.

I have made 4k mode setting on Yamaha to Mode 1. Have video mode set to Direct.

I've also tried the Sony Enhanced HDMI signal format and that didn't help and made some things worse.

All firmware is current.

Is this receiver just not capable of passing HDR/Dolby Vision? Would I be better off with RX-A1070?
It does pass HDR/Dolby Vision. My setup:

(1) Apple TV 4K > Yamaha TSR-7810 > Sony 940E
[this will pass HDR10 and Dolby vision content—verified by the Dolby Vision logo which briefly appears in the top right hand corner; it looks great too!]

(2) Fire TV 4K (3rd gen) > Yamaha TSR-7810 > Sony 940E
[this will pass HDR10—verified by HDR showing on the picture menu; looks obviously HDR but not as good as DV]

Cables are Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable (6ft) 18Gbps

Netflix DV content (via Apple TV) looks *awesome*. HDR10 content looks nice but is clearly brightness constrained. Now that I've seen DV on my 940E, I'm happy I bought it. Also very happy with the Yamaha TSR-7810, so much so I bought a second one just so both my receivers work the same way.
post #1612 of 2140 Old 04-23-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko Pando View Post
It does pass HDR/Dolby Vision. My setup:

(1) Apple TV 4K > Yamaha TSR-7810 > Sony 940E
[this will pass HDR10 and Dolby vision content—verified by the Dolby Vision logo which briefly appears in the top right hand corner; it looks great too!]

(2) Fire TV 4K (3rd gen) > Yamaha TSR-7810 > Sony 940E
[this will pass HDR10—verified by HDR showing on the picture menu; looks obviously HDR but not as good as DV]

Cables are Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable (6ft) 18Gbps

Netflix DV content (via Apple TV) looks *awesome*. HDR10 content looks nice but is clearly brightness constrained. Now that I've seen DV on my 940E, I'm happy I bought it. Also very happy with the Yamaha TSR-7810, so much so I bought a second one just so both my receivers work the same way.

Our set up sounds exactly the same. Not sure why I'm having trouble. When I do the Apple TV test for DV, it always reverts back to previous format which is the 4k SDR
post #1613 of 2140 Old 04-23-2018, 07:23 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacbellguy View Post
Our set up sounds exactly the same. Not sure why I'm having trouble. When I do the Apple TV test for DV, it always reverts back to previous format which is the 4k SDR
I assume you get DV, like you said, when connecting directly to the TV—so most things are working...

A few things to double check:

My TSR-7810 firmware is 1.32
Video mode is direct
4K Mode is Mode 1

My Sony 940E firmware is PKG6.2858.0082NAA
I'm using HDMI 3/ARC; fyi ARC works with the Yamaha (HDMI 2 should also work for HDR)
I'm using Enhanced mode (it won't work without it)
i.e. Settings > External Inputs > HDMI Signal Format > Enhanced

My ATV 4K firmware is 11.3 (kudos to Apple for keeping it current)
Output is 4K SDR; YCbCr; Chroma 4:4:4
Match Content is set to Range & Frame Rate

You could set the output to 4K Dolby Vision for testing. I personally prefer Match Range—that way when DV content is played, I can immediately tell it's working when the Dolby Vision logo (briefly appears). Also for HD content, the TV is doing the upscaling, i.e. not the ATV. That's one of the strong points of the 940E, the upscaling.

Hope this helps. You could always try unplugging all power, using a different certified HDMI cable, etc. Worth figuring out now even if you go for a higher spec receiver.
post #1614 of 2140 Old 04-23-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko Pando View Post
I assume you get DV, like you said, when connecting directly to the TV—so most things are working...

A few things to double check:

My TSR-7810 firmware is 1.32
Video mode is direct
4K Mode is Mode 1

My Sony 940E firmware is PKG6.2858.0082NAA
I'm using HDMI 3/ARC; fyi ARC works with the Yamaha (HDMI 2 should also work for HDR)
I'm using Enhanced mode (it won't work without it)
i.e. Settings > External Inputs > HDMI Signal Format > Enhanced

My ATV 4K firmware is 11.3 (kudos to Apple for keeping it current)
Output is 4K SDR; YCbCr; Chroma 4:4:4
Match Content is set to Range & Frame Rate

You could set the output to 4K Dolby Vision for testing. I personally prefer Match Range—that way when DV content is played, I can immediately tell it's working when the Dolby Vision logo (briefly appears). Also for HD content, the TV is doing the upscaling, i.e. not the ATV. That's one of the strong points of the 940E, the upscaling.

Hope this helps. You could always try unplugging all power, using a different certified HDMI cable, etc. Worth figuring out now even if you go for a higher spec receiver.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I don't have the Sony on Enhanced mode cause then other sources won't play, like Directv. When I plug the ATV directly in to the HDMI input on the Sony, DV works just fine even when it's not on Enhanced mode. I may try and shorten my HDMI cable run and eliminate some keystone jacks to see if that helps.
post #1615 of 2140 Old 04-24-2018, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quick question about the TSR-7810. I am thinking of getting one to upgrade my old school 5.1 receiver to at least 5.1.2 and/or possibly 7.1 or 7.1.2. I like the 7810 for many reason; but some of the main reasons is because it has a Phono input. (I can get rid of my adapter). Also, it's a great price at costco. Other than that, I'm comfortable with Yamaha equipment. Been using it for more than 40 years.

Anyway; I saw a similar post in the beginning of this thread from 2 years ago, but it mentioned component video input. My question is about composite video input.

If I put a composite video/audio input; e.g. VHS, Laserdisc, etc. into AV5 for example. Will the output be UPSCALED and taken out of HDMI OUT to the tv; OR, do I HAVE to take a composite video monitor out to my tv and keep it composite.

In the posts from 2 years ago, they mentioned that IF their COMPONENT input was 480i, the receiver would upscale it and send it out hdmi. But if the component was 1080i, it wouldn't upscale and therefor wouldn't come out the hdmi. He's have to come out component monitor video or lower the component input to 480i.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. Mike

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #1616 of 2140 Old 04-24-2018, 07:12 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Quick question about the TSR-7810. I am thinking of getting one to upgrade my old school 5.1 receiver to at least 5.1.2 and/or possibly 7.1 or 7.1.2. I like the 7810 for many reason; but some of the main reasons is because it has a Phono input. (I can get rid of my adapter). Also, it's a great price at costco. Other than that, I'm comfortable with Yamaha equipment. Been using it for more than 40 years.

Anyway; I saw a similar post in the beginning of this thread from 2 years ago, but it mentioned component video input. My question is about composite video input.

If I put a composite video/audio input; e.g. VHS, Laserdisc, etc. into AV5 for example. Will the output be UPSCALED and taken out of HDMI OUT to the tv; OR, do I HAVE to take a composite video monitor out to my tv and keep it composite.

In the posts from 2 years ago, they mentioned that IF their COMPONENT input was 480i, the receiver would upscale it and send it out hdmi. But if the component was 1080i, it wouldn't upscale and therefor wouldn't come out the hdmi. He's have to come out component monitor video or lower the component input to 480i.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. Mike
According to the manual, The 781 and 681 are capable of upscaling composite or component 480i/576i to 4k hdmi. There is a chart on page 146 of the manual that shows what the signals paths and supported resolutions are.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #1617 of 2140 Old 04-24-2018, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Mike

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #1618 of 2140 Old 04-24-2018, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

I hope someone can help me confirm, that I've setup everything correctly with my 781 and my 2.0 speaker setup:

- Ran YPAO
- Speakers set to Large (setup is only two towers and nothing else)
- Turned on YPAO Volume in the options
- Set the DSP to the 2ch Music option (from what I read in the manual, it downmixes everything to a stereo mix, which is what I want, yes?)
- Set all devices connected to PCM output (very unsure about this one)

Is this correct? I am very anxious about choosing the right DSP option for this setup and getting the best audio experience.

And bonus round:

What should change in the above, when I move to a 3.1 setup or a 3.1.2 setup in the far flung future?
post #1619 of 2140 Old 04-25-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinterbird View Post
Hi everyone!

I hope someone can help me confirm, that I've setup everything correctly with my 781 and my 2.0 speaker setup:

- Ran YPAO

- Speakers set to Large (setup is only two towers and nothing else)

- Turned on YPAO Volume in the options

- Set the DSP to the 2ch Music option (from what I read in the manual, it downmixes everything to a stereo mix, which is what I want, yes?)

- Set all devices connected to PCM output (very unsure about this one)

Is this correct? I am very anxious about choosing the right DSP option for this setup and getting the best audio experience.

And bonus round:

What should change in the above, when I move to a 3.1 setup or a 3.1.2 setup in the far flung future?
Yes.

And if you add a center channel (HIGHLY recommended) and a sub (not a bad idea for movies), yes, switch to Dolby Surround decoding so that you get directional support for the center channel in 2.0 movie content.

post #1620 of 2140 Old 04-25-2018, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes.

And if you add a center channel (HIGHLY recommended) and a sub (not a bad idea for movies), yes, switch to Dolby Surround decoding so that you get directional support for the center channel in 2.0 movie content.
Thanks a ton for the feedback.

By "Dolby Surround Decodeing" you mean the "Surround Decoder" option on the unit?

Is that a permanent "set it and forget" option, or is it only relevant in the context of getting audio out of more channels on 2.0 content?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
amazon fire tv , hdmi (arc) , scad , vizio 2016/2017 e m & p-series displays , xbox one s , yahama , yamaha 585 , yamaha 7850

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page