The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 owners thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 170Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 352 Old 12-03-2016, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
68rustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH USA
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 owners thread

I was at a Magnolia shop today just browsing AVRs since I am in the market. I wasn't planning on buying anything but the SC-LX501 (301 and 101 also) was on sale at better pricing then I have seen online. I think the sale ended today so I picked one up as a Christmas present for myself. I have until 01/15 to return it so I figured I am covered if I find something else in the meantime.

Why is there so little info in the forums about this AVR? Is there something that makes this an odd duck? Something much better at this price level?

We have an official 101 and 301 thread and another 701, 801 and 901 thread but no 501?

This will eventually be used in my basement that will either be wired for 7.2 or 5.2.2. Until then it will be running 5.1 in the family room.
clayhans likes this.

- Eric

xkcd
68rustang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 352 Old 12-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Member
 
clayhans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Athol, Massachusetts USA
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am an owner of a Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 for a few months now. There is next to no information on the web about this Pioneer AVR. I have posted a few problems I have had with my SC-LX501 on another thread. One thing I noticed is this model seems to only have the standard MCACC rather than the advanced or pro editions. In my readings and web search I have read that Pioneer Elite Models are supposed to have the Pro MCACC edition.

Sony XBR65X950G TV/Oppo UDP-203/Denon AVR X3600H
Klipsch RF-52II Home Theater Bundle/Klipsch RP-450C Center Speaker
Klipsch RP140SA Height Speakers/Premier Acoustic PA-120 Titanium Subwoofer
Set Up - http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&uploaded=true
Movie Collection - https://cloud.collectorz.com/clayhans/movies

Last edited by clayhans; 12-11-2016 at 11:39 AM.
clayhans is offline  
post #3 of 352 Old 12-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Member
 
clayhans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Athol, Massachusetts USA
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sound and test tone are not being sent to Subwoofer by the Pioneer SC-LX501 AVR when in Speaker Setup of Channel Level setup. The extended manual states : "Select a value between "-15.0 dB" and "+12.0 dB" (in 0.5 dB increments). A test tone will be output each time you change the value. Select the desired
level."

When using Full Auto MCACC the Subwoofer is seen by the AVR and a test tone is heard coming from the Subwoofer. There is no problem at all with the Subwoofer. The Pioneer SC-LX501 AVR does send a test tone to the Subwoofer when using Full Auto MCACC.

GOT IT FIXED.Don't ask me how, I tried many things from firmware update to disconnecting all the connections. There is a short delay before the subwoofer tone is heard.

Sony XBR65X950G TV/Oppo UDP-203/Denon AVR X3600H
Klipsch RF-52II Home Theater Bundle/Klipsch RP-450C Center Speaker
Klipsch RP140SA Height Speakers/Premier Acoustic PA-120 Titanium Subwoofer
Set Up - http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&uploaded=true
Movie Collection - https://cloud.collectorz.com/clayhans/movies

Last edited by clayhans; 12-11-2016 at 11:37 AM.
clayhans is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 352 Old 12-07-2016, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
68rustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH USA
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I will be unboxing mine after Christmas and start updating this thread. I am disappointed that they do not have the same MCACC as the higher Elites.

- Eric

xkcd
68rustang is offline  
post #5 of 352 Old 12-16-2016, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 145
mine seems to click when commercials ,or when the receiver switches from dolby to stereo .kinda annoying for a 800 dollar receiver
recoveryone likes this.
Dave Scurrah is offline  
post #6 of 352 Old 12-16-2016, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 145
kinda diisapointed and I'm comming from a marantz from 2014 ,this pioneer is missing a lot of stuff that my marantz at 300 bucks had.
Dave Scurrah is offline  
post #7 of 352 Old 12-17-2016, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
68rustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH USA
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have an older vsx-1020 and when watching tv and the sound mode changes it will sometimes click. I have seen a lot of talk of this in the other thread. Is it a relay click or something coming through the speakers?
68rustang is offline  
post #8 of 352 Old 12-23-2016, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 145
relay
Dave Scurrah is offline  
post #9 of 352 Old 12-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got this receiver yesterday and noticed that there seems to be a delay for the sound to kick in when I'm using the apple tv. When I use the apple tv remote and move around the tiles when I first move it one or two tiles, there is no sound and then it kicks in later if I keep scrolling. Has anyone else noticed this or know how to fix it? Seems odd, like the receiver goes to sleep and then takes a second to wake up.
kalviny is offline  
post #10 of 352 Old 02-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Just picked up the SC-LX501 on Monday and so far so good, the new UI is a damn huge improvement from the previous models that's for sure.

Overall the sound has been really impressive too after an Auto calibration, I'm a bit surprised that this Elite model doesn't have MCACC Pro? Doesn't make any sense at all... I came from the SC-71 and specs for specs these two are almost identical outside of the updated HDMI input and so on.

Either way I'm really enjoying the heck out of this receiver, highs are crisp and detailed, mids are warm and not harsh and the lows are thundering.
Aerorhcp likes this.

TV: LG OLED65B6P
A/V Amp: Denon AVR-X6500H
Speakers: Towers = Martin Logan Motion 40's (bi-amp), Center = Martin Logan Motion 50XT (bi-amp), Sub = Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Speaker Wires: KnuKonceptz Kord Kable 10 Gauge Copper Speaker
tl24ss is offline  
post #11 of 352 Old 02-22-2017, 07:10 AM
Member
 
Kevog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Staunton Va
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm really thinking of getting this receiver (from Accessories4Less) to replace a Denon 3313. Any thoughts? How much of an upgrade? It'll be set up in a medium sized living room - 5.2 regular arrangement.
Kevog is offline  
post #12 of 352 Old 02-26-2017, 03:50 PM
Newbie
 
jmacdougall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the "Standard" MACACC. Also, My Sub channel LFE will NOT play on any test files like DTS or THX. It will appear and work for the MCACC Test. I wanted to upgrade to the SC-LX701 but I am a week past my 15 day return/exchange policy at BestBuy Magnolia. Buyer's remorse has kicked in 100%.
jmacdougall is offline  
post #13 of 352 Old 02-26-2017, 04:15 PM
Newbie
 
jmacdougall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am also having an issue with the OSD overlay suddenly flickering on the TV screen!! I have tried everything outside of system RESET. Going to call Pioneer Monday morning.

Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 in 5.1 / LCR Klipsch R-15M and R25C / Surround LR Solid Solutions S100 / Klipsch SW-12 Sub
"Good artists copy, great artists steal." Pablo Picasso
jmacdougall is offline  
post #14 of 352 Old 02-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacdougall View Post
I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the "Standard" MACACC. Also, My Sub channel LFE will NOT play on any test files like DTS or THX. It will appear and work for the MCACC Test. I wanted to upgrade to the SC-LX701 but I am a week past my 15 day return/exchange policy at BestBuy Magnolia. Buyer's remorse has kicked in 100%.
I was also disappointed with this but came to the conclusion that the standard calibration was just fine for me. I honestly never had a good experience with these auto calibration features, the sound never came out the way I wanted it to so I'm fine with the way it is. Sound is impressive on all levels lows/mids/highs so I'm happy with it. I'm a BB Elite Member so I still have some time left (45 days) to return it if I wanted to, sorry to hear that you're not feeling the receiver!

TV: LG OLED65B6P
A/V Amp: Denon AVR-X6500H
Speakers: Towers = Martin Logan Motion 40's (bi-amp), Center = Martin Logan Motion 50XT (bi-amp), Sub = Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Speaker Wires: KnuKonceptz Kord Kable 10 Gauge Copper Speaker
tl24ss is offline  
post #15 of 352 Old 03-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
VSX-LX501 HDMI audio pass through

I purchased the Pioneer VSX-LX501 from Best Buy for a new house. The only information I can find from Pioneer and online is for a the SC-LX501. Anyone know if they are the same item and why my receipt says VSX-LX501.


I have not had a lot of time to use it yet as I am not living there full time yet. I let Greek Squad set it up and not sure they did a very good job. I was getting no bass and they claimed my sub was too old! After playing around with the settings got the bass back it sounds pretty good for music. Have not tested it with a movie yet. It was a bad idea to buy it when I knew I would not have time to play around with it because now I am well beyond my Best Buy return window and only used it about 5 times.


Another thing Geek Squad did, which is probably standard but I am not sure I want, is only hook up the Cox cable box to the AV receiver. Sometimes I like to watch TV without running the sound through all the speakers in the ceiling. This is especially true when my wife is sleeping and I am watching TV in the family room. The cable box and the DVD are hooked to the receiver with HDMI. I read that some AV receivers will allow the HDMI to pass through the unit if it is turned off, allowing the sound to play from he TV speakers instead of the surround sound speakers.


I cannot seem to make this happen on the LX-501. If it is not turned on, I cannot get any signal to the TV. I know the easiest solution is to run another HDMI straight from he cable box with a spilter to another input on the TV, but wondering if there is a way for the LX-501 to accomplish this.


I also purchased 5 Speakercraft Profile Aim8 Three - 8 inch speakers. They sure don't sound like they did in the Magnolia Sound Room. Maybe I need more adjustments but they sound very tinny.


Thanks for any suggestions.




Thanks for any help.
mwollert is offline  
post #16 of 352 Old 03-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Member
 
Stilljoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ajax Ontario
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwollert View Post
I purchased the Pioneer VSX-LX501 from Best Buy for a new house. The only information I can find from Pioneer and online is for a the SC-LX501. Anyone know if they are the same item and why my receipt says VSX-LX501.

I have not had a lot of time to use it yet as I am not living there full time yet. I let Greek Squad set it up and not sure they did a very good job. I was getting no bass and they claimed my sub was too old! After playing around with the settings got the bass back it sounds pretty good for music. Have not tested it with a movie yet. It was a bad idea to buy it when I knew I would not have time to play around with it because now I am well beyond my Best Buy return window and only used it about 5 times.

Another thing Geek Squad did, which is probably standard but I am not sure I want, is only hook up the Cox cable box to the AV receiver. Sometimes I like to watch TV without running the sound through all the speakers in the ceiling. This is especially true when my wife is sleeping and I am watching TV in the family room. The cable box and the DVD are hooked to the receiver with HDMI. I read that some AV receivers will allow the HDMI to pass through the unit if it is turned off, allowing the sound to play from he TV speakers instead of the surround sound speakers.

I cannot seem to make this happen on the LX-501. If it is not turned on, I cannot get any signal to the TV. I know the easiest solution is to run another HDMI straight from he cable box with a spilter to another input on the TV, but wondering if there is a way for the LX-501 to accomplish this.

I also purchased 5 Speakercraft Profile Aim8 Three - 8 inch speakers. They sure don't sound like they did in the Magnolia Sound Room. Maybe I need more adjustments but they sound very tinny.

Thanks for any suggestion

Thanks for any help.
The VSX-LX501 and SC-LX501 seem to be the same thing - judging by this sales sheet, even Pioneer is not sure:



Connecting the cable box to the receiver the way they did is normal and should work. Your manual is here:https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/e...anual_EnFr.pdf . Instructions for enabling HDMI Passthrough on Standby (i.e., when the receiver is off) are on page 21. The instructions are grouped with those for CEC. I would be very cautious about enabling CEC (aka HDMI Control). Many people have had problems with it...

I haven't heard those speakers but they have excellent reviews. If Geek Squad's set-up was a problem, their installation may not be the best either, and that could certainly affect the sound.

I think you might be best with professional help - and I don't mean the Geek Squad. Check for an independent local home theatre installer - if you post your location, there are probably people here who can recommend someone. You spent plenty of money, you should be able to get good sound.

Good luck.

Sony VPL HW40ES - Elunevision Studio 4K 108" fixed screen
Axiom speakers: 2 x M60 fronts, VP160 centre, 2 x QS4 surrounds, 2 x M3 on-wall surround backs
Polk RC60 x 4 in-ceiling - SVS PC12 NSD
Sony UBP X800, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Cisco cable box, Belkin PF30
Stilljoe is offline  
post #17 of 352 Old 04-07-2017, 12:30 AM
Senior Member
 
jleholeho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, SVK, EU
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Any opinions on the difference between the SC-LX 501 and older Elite SC-81/82 audio-wise? I have the SC-1224, which is a EU version of Elite SC-81/82 and looking for a newer replacement mostly due to HDR future proofing (SC-1224 does 4K/60p but most likely won´t pass thru HDR) as I´m using Xbox One S with only 1 HDMI out and planning on getting an LG OLED HDR tv in a near future...and having Atmos/DTS:X should also be nice.

Gotta say that SC-1224 sounds fantastic, been using it for a some 1 and 1/2 years with absolutely no hassle whatsoever...so I´m curious where those 6 pounds/2,5 kgs have been dropped in the weight on SC-LX 501 compared to the SC-81/82. Anytime I see a drop in the weight in newer models I can imagine a drop in audio quality.

Thanks.

Last edited by jleholeho; 04-07-2017 at 12:36 AM.
jleholeho is offline  
post #18 of 352 Old 04-24-2017, 07:52 AM
Member
 
wyowolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just bought this used. Couple questions. 1. Can you explain how the upscaling works? Is the receiver actively upscaling to 4k?
2. I can't seem to connect to my NAS Synology to play flac files. I connect to network just fine but never shows up under NET tab...
I also not ed its a good bit lighter than my old S C 35...
wyowolf is offline  
post #19 of 352 Old 04-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Member
 
wyowolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I finally got the NAS to work by power cycling it...works great all my hi rez files play flawlessly...
wyowolf is offline  
post #20 of 352 Old 04-26-2017, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
andyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
Any opinions on the difference between the SC-LX 501 and older Elite SC-81/82 audio-wise? I have the SC-1224, which is a EU version of Elite SC-81/82 and looking for a newer replacement mostly due to HDR future proofing (SC-1224 does 4K/60p but most likely won´t pass thru HDR) as I´m using Xbox One S with only 1 HDMI out and planning on getting an LG OLED HDR tv in a near future...and having Atmos/DTS:X should also be nice.

Gotta say that SC-1224 sounds fantastic, been using it for a some 1 and 1/2 years with absolutely no hassle whatsoever...so I´m curious where those 6 pounds/2,5 kgs have been dropped in the weight on SC-LX 501 compared to the SC-81/82. Anytime I see a drop in the weight in newer models I can imagine a drop in audio quality.

Thanks.
Seriously, when I picked up the SC-LX501 I said damn..this thing is light compared to my old SC-05
andyboy is offline  
post #21 of 352 Old 05-02-2017, 12:36 AM
Senior Member
 
jleholeho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, SVK, EU
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyboy View Post
Seriously, when I picked up the SC-LX501 I said damn..this thing is light compared to my old SC-05
How about audio? Do you feel any drop in quality? SC-LX501 is the only one using AKM DAC (AK4458), others up in the lineup use Sabre, just like my SC-1224 does...
jleholeho is offline  
post #22 of 352 Old 05-19-2017, 12:33 AM
Senior Member
 
jleholeho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, SVK, EU
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 42
So I bought the SC-LX501 last week as I finally got a very special price here in EU so I´d like to share some observations...

First off, I never figured out why Pioneer dropped out the MCACC Pro from the SC-LX501, being an Elite-branded receiver It looks like the MCACC Pro in 701/801/901 is identical to the ADVANCED MCACC on previous models, just like on my former SC-1224/Elite SC 81-82. On the SC-LX501 there is a stripped down, simple version of MCACC with neither options of Symmetry/All Channel Adjust/Front Align nor Reverb/Standing Wave management and fine channel adjustment. The Manual MCACC only allows EQ Adjust by leveling channels up/down in relation with frequency. Also, as often recommended to set Crossover to 80Hz and all speakers to SMALL before running MCACC as a best concept, there is no such option here since the FULL AUTO MCACC everytime rewrites any setting, which seems kinda weird. I´m really missing the point here and already sent a complaint to the Pioneer EU.

So just like I thought, the initial result was ABSOLUTELY off the line (which I never experienced on SC-1224), setting all my speakers to LARGE, distance with totally wrong measurements and channel levels in deeply negative numbers. Another thing that made me curious was why the test tones are so quiet (more people have mentioned this over at the SC-LX 701, 801... thread) and I realized you need to MANUALLY turn up the volume on the remote control (ideally to 0.0dB) when peforming any tweaks in MANUAL MCACC in order to have the tones clear and loud...this used to be automatic on previous models, always going down to 0.0dB as a reference and that´s why the warning of emitting loud tones had sense. I mentioned this hassle to the Pioneer EU as well.

So I figured that this type of "baby" MCACC most likely won´t be of any help whatsoever and I completely switched it OFF in AV adjust for every input and manually set crossover, distance and channel levels using my SPL meter (C, slow). To my surprise, the AVR sounds pretty good, noticeably sharper and tighter with bass than the SC-1224 did.

What I really don´t like is the significant Onkyo influence in OSD, disability to show outputting audio format on AVR´s display (you need to keep hitting STATUS on remote) and no DIMMER button on remote...or in iControlAV5 app, which is ridiculous...

There is no real AUDIO and VIDEO parameter option as it used to be, just stripped down version of some enhancements.

Also, everytime I press AV ADJUST when in NET or BD inputs, it brings me to blank screen on TV with selection of options on the bottom in really small font...not very attractive.

But basically one can get along with this AVR, played some HD audio demos yesterday and it does sound solid. Also the NET services work flawlessly, Spotify and Deezer out of my iPhone are displayed with nice info screen and images. But I´m a little pissed that Pioneer underestimated several things with this unit and literally made a odd duck out of it, comparing to the rest of lineup.

I have a 14-day trial, so contemplating to swap it for Marantz SR-6011 for just some 50 euros more. Never had any Marantz before, class AB amp, any opinions on this? I´m really confused here.
D Bone and clayhans like this.

Last edited by jleholeho; 05-19-2017 at 12:46 AM.
jleholeho is offline  
post #23 of 352 Old 06-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Does anyone know if the update for DTS-x has been released yet? I am trying to decide between the LX-501 and the Denon X3300.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RL616 is offline  
post #24 of 352 Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes its out

Firmware update for both DTSX/Neural X and Chromecast is out. I havent had a chance to use DTSX yet because I havent taken the height speaker plunge yet. The AVR works great for everything else though. Even surround sound on cable sounds better than the old Pioneer VSX 819 receiver I used to have.
Aerorhcp is offline  
post #25 of 352 Old 06-08-2017, 04:56 AM
Senior Member
 
jleholeho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, SVK, EU
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 42
So after thorough consideration and contemplating the odds I decided to keep the SC-LX501...the peculiar thing is that the more I´ve been playing with it the more I´ve started to get along with the sound, somehow. Well it needs to be said that the D-class amp runs absolutely cool (which is rather important thing in day-to-day use) and the amp is pretty strong; playing some Atmos/DTS HD demo in Pure Direct at cca -15dB is really within the bearable limits, not in terms of distortion but overall sound impact...I can remember my previous SC-1224 felt somewhat weaker in this manner. I´m still using the UK´s Acoustic Energy Neo V2 5.1 in a room of 23 m2.

So long story short, if Pioneer had added MCACC PRO (as they totally should have, even the initial Pio pdf brochure stated it HAS MCACC PRO, a mistake?), it would have been a solid Elite family member...I do hope they will keep the fw updates coming in terms of overall improvement and user-friendliness).

Also, a metal front panel and DIMMER button on remote would be nice, too Well I simply didn´t want to pay several hundred more for SC-LX701 (guessing 701 and up are equipped with metal fronts and knobs).
clayhans likes this.

Last edited by jleholeho; 06-08-2017 at 04:59 AM.
jleholeho is offline  
post #26 of 352 Old 06-09-2017, 01:50 PM
Member
 
clayhans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Athol, Massachusetts USA
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Casting Music to the Pioneer SC LX501

I was playing around with my new Chromecast Ultra connected to my Pioneer SC LX501 AVR. The Chromecast works great through the 6.1 output in Dolby Surround. What I discovered about the LX501 is when I chose casting on the PC to send it to my TV through Chromecast it also came up that I could cast directly to my LX501 AVR thus passing the Chromecast completely. The sound is great. Another cookie for me was I looked at the display on the AVR and it said "Chromecst built-in". This is one great feature now I know I can cast to the Pioneer SC LX501 AVR with my PC or my android smart phone.

Sony XBR65X950G TV/Oppo UDP-203/Denon AVR X3600H
Klipsch RF-52II Home Theater Bundle/Klipsch RP-450C Center Speaker
Klipsch RP140SA Height Speakers/Premier Acoustic PA-120 Titanium Subwoofer
Set Up - http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&uploaded=true
Movie Collection - https://cloud.collectorz.com/clayhans/movies
clayhans is offline  
post #27 of 352 Old 06-10-2017, 04:51 AM
Senior Member
 
jleholeho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, SVK, EU
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayhans View Post
I was playing around with my new Chromecast Ultra connected to my Pioneer SC LX501 AVR. The Chromecast works great through the 6.1 output in Dolby Surround. What I discovered about the LX501 is when I chose casting on the PC to send it to my TV through Chromecast it also came up that I could cast directly to my LX501 AVR thus passing the Chromecast completely. The sound is great. Another cookie for me was I looked at the display on the AVR and it said "Chromecst built-in". This is one great feature now I know I can cast to the Pioneer SC LX501 AVR with my PC or my android smart phone.
Yes, the NET features as a whole are spot on in this AVR...again, I'm finding the fact that it runs extremely cool even after some heavy use remarkable. I seriously contemplated swapping it for Marantz SR-6011 for a while but changed my mind after reading many posts about hotness of their A/B amps.

Last edited by jleholeho; 06-10-2017 at 04:55 AM.
jleholeho is offline  
post #28 of 352 Old 06-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 5
When you watch Dolby Atmos and DTS:x discs, does the display on the LX-501 say what format it's playing in? I heard it doesn't, but the pictures on their website show it does.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RL616 is offline  
post #29 of 352 Old 06-11-2017, 06:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 9
The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
So after thorough consideration and contemplating the odds I decided to keep the SC-LX501...the peculiar thing is that the more I´ve been playing with it the more I´ve started to get along with the sound, somehow. Well it needs to be said that the D-class amp runs absolutely cool (which is rather important thing in day-to-day use) and the amp is pretty strong; playing some Atmos/DTS HD demo in Pure Direct at cca -15dB is really within the bearable limits, not in terms of distortion but overall sound impact...I can remember my previous SC-1224 felt somewhat weaker in this manner. I´m still using the UK´s Acoustic Energy Neo V2 5.1 in a room of 23 m2.



So long story short, if Pioneer had added MCACC PRO (as they totally should have, even the initial Pio pdf brochure stated it HAS MCACC PRO, a mistake?), it would have been a solid Elite family member...I do hope they will keep the fw updates coming in terms of overall improvement and user-friendliness).



Also, a metal front panel and DIMMER button on remote would be nice, too Well I simply didn´t want to pay several hundred more for SC-LX701 (guessing 701 and up are equipped with metal fronts and knobs).


Glad you decided to keep it, I love the sound it produces and not having MCACC Pro isn't a big deal as calibration has always been a hit or miss - miss most of the time.

This amp just blows all other amps in its price range out of the water when it comes to sound and video.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jleholeho likes this.

TV: LG OLED65B6P
A/V Amp: Denon AVR-X6500H
Speakers: Towers = Martin Logan Motion 40's (bi-amp), Center = Martin Logan Motion 50XT (bi-amp), Sub = Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Speaker Wires: KnuKonceptz Kord Kable 10 Gauge Copper Speaker
tl24ss is offline  
post #30 of 352 Old 06-12-2017, 04:21 AM
Senior Member
 
jleholeho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, SVK, EU
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL616 View Post
When you watch Dolby Atmos and DTS:x discs, does the display on the LX-501 say what format it's playing in? I heard it doesn't, but the pictures on their website show it does.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes it does, but only for a few seconds, you need to press STATUS once if I remember correctly, it shows your audio setting (AutoSurround/Direct...) at first and then it shows the proper incoming audio feed on the AVR´s display...the advertisement pictures displaying Dolby Atmos or whatever were being taken within those few seconds, I suppose

but this sucks, btw, I will totally complain to Pioneer to do something about that in upcoming FW updates...should be no big deal to force the display to hold still with displaying incoming audio on it, right? It´s always been like that before on Pio AVRs...and we´d rather see DTS:X on the display instead of damn input, wouldn´t we?
I WANT MORE likes this.

Last edited by jleholeho; 06-12-2017 at 05:37 AM.
jleholeho is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off