Pioneer VSX-1131 AVR HDMI Sound Delay - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-06-2016, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer VSX-1131 AVR HDMI Sound Delay

Hi,

I have a problem with intermittent audio delay of approximately 0.5 - 1 seconds when audio plays from my PC (Windows 10) through HDMI 2.0 cable into my Pioneer VSX-1131 (into the HDCP 2.2 socket).

The problem is noticable when playing songs on Spotify and Spotify automatically goes to the next track - It misses the first second of the next song - But it doesn't do it if I manually select next track, or skip back to the beginning!!

It's also noticable if I test the speakers through Windows - I can only hear the final milliseconds of the Windows test sound as it fades out, not the whole thing.

It seems to be a problem when it is being asked to play audio from being silent, rather than when it's already in the middle of playing audio.

I'm certain I've isolated the problem to my AVR due to the following:

- Gaming headset connect via USB to motherboard works fine, no audio delay
- HDMI 2.0 directly from my graphics card into my TV plays the audio out of the TV internal speakers fine, no audio delay

All my sound drivers are up to date. What I can't understand is I've recently upgraded my PC and AVR (including cables) and I never had this problem on a 2008 laptop running Vista and a 5 year old Yamaha HTR-2064 with HDMI 1.0!!

I've researched Google quite a bit and read about digital "handshaking" issues and "channel switching delays" but haven't found anything that's helped me solve this issue.

Can anybody help me please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-07-2016, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.

Anybody any ideas please?
post #3 of 16 Old 12-08-2016, 07:12 AM

Liked: 10
I had the same issue with this receiver with my xbox one, Apple TV, and FireTV. Short sounds, like menu navigation, are never heard and longer content loses the first half-second. I ended up returning my 1131 and will be trying a Denon avr-s920 with the hope that it doesn't do the same thing.

ETA: In this thread the issue was discussed briefly.

-Andy

Last edited by savagexp; 12-08-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-08-2016, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagexp View Post
I had the same issue with this receiver with my xbox one, Apple TV, and FireTV. Short sounds, like menu navigation, are never heard and longer content loses the first half-second. I ended up returning my 1131 and will be trying a Denon avr-s920 with the hope that it doesn't do the same thing.
Oh dear. I refuse to believe that with a £450 AVR that's just "the way it is". I'm going to ring Richer Sounds and see if anybody can help me there.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-08-2016, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf_Wriggley View Post
Oh dear. I refuse to believe that with a £450 AVR that's just "the way it is". I'm going to ring Richer Sounds and see if anybody can help me there.
Yup. Im returning mine. My old Onkyo didn't have this issue so not sure why this one has it. Going to get the Yamaha RX-V681 instead. Hopefully this works without issue since I'm tired of unplugging my stuff lol. This was my first pioneer receiver and what a disappointment.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-08-2016, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up

[SOLVED] I rang Richer Sounds, they provided me with a solution that's so obvious now, although not the one I wanted, but it works, and was a bit of a faff.

They've heard about this issue with HDMI connections before, and said it's to do with the digital handshake, and should be able to be solved at the Windows end by changing settings - I don't know why as it didn't happen when plugged into my TV.

Either way, I couldn't find any settings that sorted it. Richer Sounds suggested Googling "Realtek audio Latency Delay Issue" as I use Realtek. Couldn't find anything about playback, only stuff about people recording music through mics and instruments.

It crossed my mind whether it could be some other audio driver or software causing the conflict, I had MSI Nahimic (something to do with speaker and microphone setup) I disabled it - still no joy.

THE SOLUTION - ANALOG!!!

1) I went to PC World and bought a Logik 3.5mm Jack > RCA (double ended (right and left / red & white) for a tenner.

2) Plugged the 3.5mm jack in Line Out into the back of my PC's motherboard

3) Connected the red & white RCA ends into the Audio In 1 port on the back of the AVR

4) Went into the settings in my AVR and changed the Audio source to the analog Audio 1 Line In: Press Home on the remote > System Setup > Source > Audio Select > Set Audio Select to Analog (I found setting it to Coaxial also works).

5) Make sure your hardware assignments for display & audio are the same - I'm using "BD/DVD" for both, even though it's a PC, you can rename them. Basically by default BD/DVD = HDCP In 1 and Audio In 1.

6) Test by right clicking Volume icon in system tray > Playback Devices > Right click "Speakers" (Richer Sounds man said it might say "Line In" instead, but it didn't for me) > Test. I DON'T know whether you HAVE to disable your normal HDMI playback device to get it to work, mine was "AV Receiver: NVidia High Definition Audio". I disabled it just for good measure. Don't know if it was necessary.

And now I have pause free music - I can hear Spotify songs from the beginning, game intros from the beginning, and actually hear Windows error messages!

Hope that makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnk View Post
Yup. Im returning mine. My old Onkyo didn't have this issue so not sure why this one has it. Going to get the Yamaha RX-V681 instead. Hopefully this works without issue since I'm tired of unplugging my stuff lol. This was my first pioneer receiver and what a disappointment.
Tell me about it with the unplugging stuff... My AVR is in a cubby in an entertainment unit below a precarious Ikea glass shelf with my modem and Kodi box on, all wires going through a small 4" hole, and I have to get as much of my body inside the cubby hole as possible - it's a right task!

I had a Yamaha for 5 years, great piece of kit, but I always thought the front of the unit itself and the remote were ugly, and I don't think I ever used it to its full potential. Also there was quite a lot of buggy things with it I never got round to fixing - I could never disable the auto shutdown, if I switched it on before my PC it liked to mess about with my resolutions something awful.

I'm yet to experience any of that with the Pioneer, it looks better IMO, and has greater functionality than the nearest priced Yamaha at a lesser cost.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-10-2016, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got this. Hope this helps. Try this before chunking the receiver out the window or changing to analog.
Just almost flipped 10 tables figuring this so caring is sharing.

PreReq:
...First Firmware update receive
...My audio input is XB1S set to stereo uncompressed, Surround sound, not sure if that matters
...Goto System Setup on receiver on screen display
...Pick HDMI
Set the following, not on by default:
...HDMI CEC ON <======== I think this needs to be on?
...HDMI Standby Through Auto
...Audio Return Channel Off
...AUTO DELAY OFF <=========== This was the setting that I think messed everything up. TURN IT OFF. KILL IT WITH FIRE.
This turned my tv audio on but I just set volume to 0.

My TV is Visio M65-D0 if the HDMI handshake stuff matters, but until setting HDMI stuff in menu it was horribly out of sync.
Great sound and video now.

Good Luck!
post #8 of 16 Old 12-28-2016, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have the same issue with my VSX-1131. Called Pioneer support at (844) 679-5350. They had me factory reset the receiver which did not fix it. They said it's likely a bad HDMI board and that I should get it serviced under warranty or return it and get a new one. They said that it should not be behaving this way. Since I just bought it, I decided to return and get a new one. Should get it at the end of the week. Hopefully the new unit doesn't do the same thing.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-30-2016, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1323 View Post
I have the same issue with my VSX-1131. Called Pioneer support at (844) 679-5350. They had me factory reset the receiver which did not fix it. They said it's likely a bad HDMI board and that I should get it serviced under warranty or return it and get a new one. They said that it should not be behaving this way. Since I just bought it, I decided to return and get a new one. Should get it at the end of the week. Hopefully the new unit doesn't do the same thing.
A new unit will not fix this. Their support is horrible. I called on this one week ago and was told they'd test it and call me back. They never did. Called again 2 days ago and they said they'd test it and call me back but never did. Called again today.

First they try to blame it on the HDMI cables, then needing a factory reset, then finally a faulty board (this is my second one) then suddenly the story changes to "this is expected to have a delay in audio with PCM sources" and it is just the way it is. I call bullsh*t as there are plenty of other receivers out there without the problem.

Return it if you can, you'll never get this to work properly and their support stinks.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-30-2016, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post
A new unit will not fix this. Their support is horrible. I called on this one week ago and was told they'd test it and call me back. They never did. Called again 2 days ago and they said they'd test it and call me back but never did. Called again today.

First they try to blame it on the HDMI cables, then needing a factory reset, then finally a faulty board (this is my second one) then suddenly the story changes to "this is expected to have a delay in audio with PCM sources" and it is just the way it is. I call bullsh*t as there are plenty of other receivers out there without the problem.

Return it if you can, you'll never get this to work properly and their support stinks.
I received the replacement receiver today and it's doing the same thing. I noticed that turning Fixed PCM on in settings gets rid of the issue. But that's not an acceptable workaround for me since anything that's not PCM doesn't play with it on.

Guess I'll have to return the receiver. It's unfortunate since I really like the receiver except for this glaring flaw. I bought it when it was on sale at Amazon for $340. Any recommendations for a replacement receiver? My budget is < $400. I need 7.2, at least 5 HDMI inputs in the back, 1 HDMI input in the front.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-30-2016, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I received the replacement receiver today and it's doing the same thing. I noticed that turning Fixed PCM on in settings gets rid of the issue. But that's not an acceptable workaround for me since anything that's not PCM doesn't play with it on.

Guess I'll have to return the receiver. It's unfortunate since I really like the receiver except for this glaring flaw. I bought it when it was on sale at Amazon for $340. Any recommendations for a replacement receiver? My budget is < $400. I need 7.2, at least 5 HDMI inputs in the back, 1 HDMI input in the front.
I haven't decided what to replace it with myself yet. I have read that the Onkyo's have the same problem, which makes sense since they're the same company now.

I need 6 HDMI and that's hard to find so I'm still looking.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-01-2017, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

I got myself a Denon AVR-S920W. It does not have the PCM issue the Pioneer or Onkyo's do. I also think I prefer the sound quality a bit better even though the VSX-1131 was very good. I don't have anything negative to say about the Denon yet.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-15-2017, 09:47 PM

I recently got a VSX-LX101 which appears to be similar to the 1131 with less power.

Similar problem with HDMI delay, too.

Stopping the pic in WMC for any significant time or switching to a different program causes a 5-7 sec sound startup delay when resumed.

I never had this problem with HDMI direct to the TV.

Also tried a KanexPro component to HDMI converter box which did not handshake with the AVR.

Returned both. Unfortunate as I like the feature set for $250. Esp the built in phono input.

Abit IP35-E, C2D E4300, Kingston 256GB SSD, 1TB Seagate, Corsair 2GB PC6400, MSI Radeon 6450, Win 7 SP1 64, Silicon Dust HDHR2, Hauppauge HVR-1600, HVR-1850, Corsair 430W , WMC7, Sony 400 DVD Changer, Pioneer VSX-812 7.1, Samsung 75H6300 LED, Infinity Monitor Frt, KLH Center, Bck & Surr, Sony 8" SW

Last edited by rooobosmith; 05-16-2017 at 10:55 AM.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I believe the issue has been fixed with the latest firmware.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-27-2017, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Can anyone say for certain if there is a "fix" for this? I have an SC-95 and this issue is driving me batty. The problem I have, however, is that I've had my AVR for over a year, so returning it is not an option.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-14-2018, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
i am having the same issues.. its very frustrating..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
delay , hdmi , Pioneer , spotify , windows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page