Need some help sorting this out - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-11-2016, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some help sorting this out

I have been using a Yamaha DSP-a3090 with my Paradigm Monitor 7v7 speakers for music only. It's time to retire this old faithful amplifier. - it still works but is now over 12 years old. I am looking at choosing either a Yamaha integrated amp e.g., Yamaha A-S301/501 or a stereo receiver e.g., Yamaha R-S301/501. The AM/FM tuner is not an issue in the decision.

I have a couple of questions: a) what are the merits of A-S501 vs. R-S501? Does one have a better DAC for instance?
b) what is a reasonable choice, power wise, for these speakers? Is the 301 series, either amp or stereo receiver enough, or should I move up to the 501 series?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has purchased either of the Yamaha integrated amps or stereo receivers mentioned.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-12-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Sorry, I can't help since I have no experience with the equipment or speakers you mention. However, you might get more help by posting in the "2 Channel Audio" forum at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 5 Old 12-12-2016, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Sorry, I can't help since I have no experience with the equipment or speakers you mention. However, you might get more help by posting in the "2 Channel Audio" forum at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/
Thanks for the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-12-2016, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 16
@bluewizard usually has good input on these threads.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old 12-12-2016, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1540
This forum should actually be titled - AV Receiver, Amps, & Processors. Indeed this is a question that would be better served in the 2-Channel section.

Unless your budget is desperate, I would scratch the AS301 and RS301. First and foremost, you have some good speakers, they deserve an above average amp.

Here are full specs on the products -

Yamaha AS501, 85w/ch, DAC, Phono. Sub-Out - $550 -

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...01/?mode=model

Yamaha RS500, 75w/ch, AM/FM., NO dac, Phono, Sub-Out - $350 -

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...00/?mode=model

If we go by price, it would seem the AS501 is the better amp. It is minus the AM/FM and cost $200 more. Though, I know that the Yamaha AS501 is indeed a good amp. So, that would be my first choice.

However, if the DAC is not critical, and you can afford $550 for the AS501, then consider the RS700 with 100w/ch -

Yamaha RS700, 100w/ch, AM/FM, NO dac, Phone, Stereo Pre-Amp Out, Sub Out - $499 -

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...00/?mode=model

That would be my realistic second choice.

I have an older version of the RS700, which is the Yamaha RX-797 Stereo Receiver (100w/ch). I'm very pleased with it for the money I paid, which was considerably less than the suggested price shown above. Though my Receiver as a B-Stock unit, it has performed flawlessly for several years.

If you need a DAC, then what do you need it for? Good DACs tend to run between $200 and $500 with $300 being very common. If the DAC is to connect a computer, you can get a USB-only DAC for about $100 to $200. If to connect a TV, you can get a basic Optical DAC for about $25. So, the Integrated amp with built-in DAC is something of a bargain.

So, of those you suggested, I would lean very strongly toward the Yamaha AS501.

Though it doesn't seem to be of interest to you, if the thought of Network Streaming of Audio has any appeal to you, then consider the Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver -

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver, 80w/ch, AM/FM, Bluetooth, Network Streaming, HiRes DAC, PHONO, Sub-Out, USB-Media - $599 -

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...02/?mode=model

Again, adding Streaming to an amp is going to cost in the range of $100 to $1500 with $500 being very common. That makes the RN602 with Streaming built-in a real bargain.

But for me, the intersect of Power, Features, Quality, and Value always comes back to the Yamaha AS501. Yamaha in general tend to be very high value. Few can match them for the price. There are higher quality amps, but plan on spending more and getting less. Yet Yamaha still maintains a high standard of build quality.

So, in short, with the limited information you have given, I think the Yamaha AS501 is the best amp.

To jump one step higher to the Yamaha AS701 (100w/ch) is $799 and the next step above that would be the Yamaha AS801 (100w/ch) for $899. I would expect very good things from the Yamaha AS801 which has very high quality Hi-Res DACs and adds a USB-PC Port. USB-Media means you can only connect Media sources like Thumb Driver. USB-PC means it can be connected directly to a computer.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 12-12-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
integrated amp , Paradigm Monitor Series , stereo receiver , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page