Seeking advice on upgrade? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 34 Old 12-18-2016, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by synccoil View Post
right ( HDPC ) that why outside of bandwith limitations S/PDIF cant pass modern lossless multi channel protected audio content or we might well ditch the HDMI cables use CAT 5/6 wire or instead 8- 24 ga copper wire zip cords or a bundle of telco wire pairs that may have the bandwidth or no ?
No.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 12-18-2016, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
No.
care to provide a reference that contradicts my Wikiopinion reference that says S/PDIF doesen't support lossless multi Chanel protected audio formats or no ?

If not I will go with what I posted for now.

bandwidth wise at let us say 6-12 ft we could just bundle up Telco POTS wire pairs to the appropriate data pin-outs like maybe Audio Quest,Kimber Cable or Monster Cable with exotic metal wires for the fools ..... but not thats the point here .

cheers

Last edited by synccoil; 12-18-2016 at 04:48 PM.
post #33 of 34 Old 12-18-2016, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by synccoil View Post
care to provide a reference that contradicts my Wikiopinion reference that says S/PDIF doesen't support lossless multi Chanel protected audio formats or no ?
You're missing the point. Neither S/PDIF nor HDMI ARC support multichannel audio above DD 5.1 or DTS 6.1.

Neither allows for 7.1 audio. Neither carries TrueHD or HD Master. HDMI ARC is literally S/PDIF implemented over HDMI. They carry the same audio formats at the same bitrates and have the same bandwidth limitations. Start here if you're still confused.

HDCP version compatibility of devices is 100% irrelevant to HDMI ARC, because none of the compatible formats implements HDCP in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 Old 12-19-2016, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008
You're missing the point. Neither S/PDIF nor HDMI ARC support multichannel audio above DD 5.1 or DTS 6.1.

Neither allows for 7.1 audio. Neither carries TrueHD or HD Master. HDMI ARC is literally S/PDIF implemented over HDMI. They carry the same audio formats at the same bitrates and have the same bandwidth limitations. Start here if you're still confused.

HDCP version compatibility of devices is 100% irrelevant to HDMI ARC, because none of the compatible formats implements HDCP in the first place.
Quote:
synccoil
Be that as it may (and I belive it is it is ),Thanks Now I finally get it
I think I was conflating one of the HDMI standards and audio formats with HDMI ARC WRONG !

had a small bird for dinner >>>>the small crow are more tender !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page