Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #121 of 163 Old 10-03-2017, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 219
So what is the take on two channel music capabilities on this prepro? I would hope it is at least as good as the 8802A. I am also curious on XLR performance as usually this can only be as good as the single ended outputs unless you have noise. I tend to believe XLR cables are less significant than RCA so as long as the unit does the XLR circuit right, it?s a plus.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 163 Old 10-03-2017, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
So what is the take on two channel music capabilities on this prepro? I would hope it is at least as good as the 8802A. I am also curious on XLR performance as usually this can only be as good as the single ended outputs unless you have noise. I tend to believe XLR cables are less significant than RCA so as long as the unit does the XLR circuit right, it?s a plus.
I'll be able to answer these questions next week. I will say that stereo sounds quite good via the 550 AVR I currently have. I am not streaming music and using a Panasonic UHD player to play CDs and it does sound good.

I think there is more to be had. I will be replacing the 550 with the 860 this weekend. I am also going to move the Panasonic to my bedroom 4K set-up and replace with the Oppo 205.

I have a NAD Masters M50.2 that arrived late last week but I'm going to wait to try it with the 860. I will finally have streaming and storage etc. I hope the NAD is what I'm looking for.

I will replace all RCA with XLR as I have them in storage already and moving back to some other cabling I have that I pulled out last year.

It's a bit of a revamp. Not for stereo but for HT I will need to get the latest Dirac set as I have been waiting for what I believe is a grand final push that will finally get Dirac on this unit where it needs to be.

It is a monster task ripping all this down. Cabling is a nightmare with everything I have hooked up. I also now will need an amp for at least front and rear heights but I prefer one I can also use for rears. Too many amps if not. Three monos for front three. Stereo amp for rears. Then an amp for heights. I would like to get from five amps back to four.

I have 30 days with the 860. It will take at least two weeks to get this all done but I will be able to form an opinion if there is improvement over the 550 and if this is pre pro to get me to shut up for a while.

I can answer the XLR and stereo questions soon. I think the Oppo 205 and NAD Masters M50.2 should greatly improve what I currently have.

Knock on wood grrr.

Rick
post #123 of 163 Old 10-04-2017, 02:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Quote:
I'll be able to answer these questions next week. I will say that stereo sounds quite good via the 550 AVR I currently have. I am not streaming music and using a Panasonic UHD player to play CDs and it does sound good.

I think there is more to be had. I will be replacing the 550 with the 860 this weekend. I am also going to move the Panasonic to my bedroom 4K set-up and replace with the Oppo 205.

I have a NAD Masters M50.2 that arrived late last week but I'm going to wait to try it with the 860. I will finally have streaming and storage etc. I hope the NAD is what I'm looking for.

I will replace all RCA with XLR as I have them in storage already and moving back to some other cabling I have that I pulled out last year.

It's a bit of a revamp. Not for stereo but for HT I will need to get the latest Dirac set as I have been waiting for what I believe is a grand final push that will finally get Dirac on this unit where it needs to be.

It is a monster task ripping all this down. Cabling is a nightmare with everything I have hooked up. I also now will need an amp for at least front and rear heights but I prefer one I can also use for rears. Too many amps if not. Three monos for front three. Stereo amp for rears. Then an amp for heights. I would like to get from five amps back to four.

I have 30 days with the 860. It will take at least two weeks to get this all done but I will be able to form an opinion if there is improvement over the 550 and if this is pre pro to get me to shut up for a while.

I can answer the XLR and stereo questions soon. I think the Oppo 205 and NAD Masters M50.2 should greatly improve what I currently have.

Knock on wood grrr.

Rick
I will certainly be looking forward to your assessment.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 163 Old 10-08-2017, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Waiting on Rick?s assessment but have a question. This unit has HDMI 2.0a, which I believe does HDR10. Will this do Dolby Vision?

post #125 of 163 Old 10-08-2017, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Waiting on Rick?s assessment but have a question. This unit has HDMI 2.0a, which I believe does HDR10. Will this do Dolby Vision?
The latest firmware version officially supports DV.
post #126 of 163 Old 10-08-2017, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJW View Post
Quote:
The latest firmware version officially supports DV.
Excellent, thanks!

post #127 of 163 Old 10-13-2017, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Knock on wood grrr.

Rick
So any kind of update? Are you auditioning it yet?

post #128 of 163 Old 10-13-2017, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So any kind of update? Are you auditioning it yet?
I'm in process of working in the 860. Everything is torn apart Grrr.

I'm also adding in a music server I did not have with the 550 as well as replacing my Panasonic UHD with an Oppo 205.

Swapping all RCA cabling out and pulled my XLR out of closet and swapping.

It was so dusty even though I'm a clean freak. I pulled every last cable and equipment out so I can do a major cleaning.

I hope I'm near completion by Sunday afternoon.

As much as I love this stuff complete tear downs can suck. I have rats nest of cables.

Some sound input soon.

Rick
post #129 of 163 Old 10-19-2017, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jim,

I'm fairly well set-up. I've done complete tear downs but this one took a long time. Except for my long standing Simaudio Amps everything in the rack was replaced even the Comcast rental modem/router. It was a lot to bite off all at once.

I'm set up manually. I set distance and used my SPL meter. I never used Dirac in stereo/2.1 mode. My center is giving me a bit of grief even though it sounds really good. I can't get it to 75dB when using my SPL. At -10 in Arcam and cannot go any lower I'm still running around 80. The center has some adjustments on the rear I tinkered with when setting up. I need to get back there and take a look.

I will get that resolved tomorrow and want to run with it for a couple of days before running Dirac. I'm having my area rugs shampooed Friday and will need to move my fronts off the rug. Planning to Dirac on Saturday.

That aside, things are in pretty good shape. I spend a chunk of the afternoon and night listening. I did not get enough time with stereo yet. That will be tomorrow.

I'd rather say nothing over flip flopping but I do think there is an improvement with the 860 over the 550. I'm not prepared to say it's night and day as it isn't but dang I've had a couple of moments of wow factor.

I've also had a couple of moments where I'm still meh. Not sure why I'm so focused on crowd noise at concerts and sports. It still sounds too soft to me. I listened to two bluray concerts and everything up front and vocals sound great. Instruments placed back, crowd noise sounds too soft. I might also appreciate a stronger piano stroke. It sounds really nice and crystal clear but I like a bit more urgency if you will. The Arcam gets it right for the most part but again it's a bit softer. I need to get on Tidal and search out some higher quality piano examples over bluray concerts.

I picked up an Oppo 205 and ran my headphone amp in thru balanced XLR and popped on same concert.

With Arcam, Yeah, applaud applaud. Thru the Oppo YEAH APPLAUD APPLAUD. The crowd is so much more part of the overall experience. I'm going to check out a recorded 49er game tomorrow to see how it is. Again, I always felt this was soft with Arcam 550. I know these are perhaps odd areas to focus but it's a big part of my overall time in front of the sound system. Sports and bluray concerts.

I have Shooter on TNT and sounds amazing. Tomorrow I will also get to UHD and Atmos. I can't to get some UHD discs going. My rear height modules arrive tomorrow. The final piece of puzzle. Let's see what rear heights add and how Arcam performs. I had Tarzan on today and sounded awesome.

So far, I think it's sounding better than the 550. I'm running XLR for all channels. The removal of onboard amps and a better power supply might be helping. But again, it's not night and thus far.

Early impressions with a manual set-up are very positive. I could be happy with this prepro but probably won't respond again until I get Dirac completed over the weekend and some additional fine tuning but just sitting here typing with cable tv on its sounding damn good.

I don't want the open ended comments to distract from how really excellent sounding this unit is. My initial thoughts are the prepro is sounding better over the AVR. It's not night and day and the 550 would make a great choice if someone wanted to use some of their own amps. But I got a great deal on the 860 and got almost $2300 back with a Magnolia buyback. The delta to move forward with the 860 wasn't too bad but I did need to buy a six channel amp for rears and height modules.

I think you would enjoy the Arcam. Can't wait to hear the latest update which I never ran on the 550.

Rick
johnnygrandis likes this.
post #130 of 163 Old 10-19-2017, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Thank you for your efforts. I have a customer that is now a beta tester.

Arcam got a bad name here on AVS with thier interpretation of DiRac and bass management deployment but that has been addressed.

As mentioned above Arcam AVRs and the 860 pass Dolby Vision. That's was one of the hold ups in releasing 4.21

The new Lexicon is built on the Arcam with the addition of some tweaks and Logic7.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #131 of 163 Old 10-19-2017, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Arcam got a bad name here on AVS with thier interpretation of DiRac and bass management deployment but that has been addressed.
Is the DL test signal injected correctly now so you don't have to run DL with all speakers set to Large?

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #132 of 163 Old 10-19-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
Is the DL test signal injected correctly now so you don't have to run DL with all speakers set to Large?
They are working on this fix, hopefully released soon.
Shane.Strawn and SteveC356 like this.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #133 of 163 Old 10-22-2017, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Jim,

I'm fairly well set-up. I've done complete tear downs but this one took a long time. Except for my long standing Simaudio Amps everything in the rack was replaced even the Comcast rental modem/router. It was a lot to bite off all at once.

I'm set up manually. I set distance and used my SPL meter. I never used Dirac in stereo/2.1 mode. My center is giving me a bit of grief even though it sounds really good. I can't get it to 75dB when using my SPL. At -10 in Arcam and cannot go any lower I'm still running around 80. The center has some adjustments on the rear I tinkered with when setting up. I need to get back there and take a look.

I will get that resolved tomorrow and want to run with it for a couple of days before running Dirac. I'm having my area rugs shampooed Friday and will need to move my fronts off the rug. Planning to Dirac on Saturday.

That aside, things are in pretty good shape. I spend a chunk of the afternoon and night listening. I did not get enough time with stereo yet. That will be tomorrow.

I'd rather say nothing over flip flopping but I do think there is an improvement with the 860 over the 550. I'm not prepared to say it's night and day as it isn't but dang I've had a couple of moments of wow factor.

I've also had a couple of moments where I'm still meh. Not sure why I'm so focused on crowd noise at concerts and sports. It still sounds too soft to me. I listened to two bluray concerts and everything up front and vocals sound great. Instruments placed back, crowd noise sounds too soft. I might also appreciate a stronger piano stroke. It sounds really nice and crystal clear but I like a bit more urgency if you will. The Arcam gets it right for the most part but again it's a bit softer. I need to get on Tidal and search out some higher quality piano examples over bluray concerts.

I picked up an Oppo 205 and ran my headphone amp in thru balanced XLR and popped on same concert.

With Arcam, Yeah, applaud applaud. Thru the Oppo YEAH APPLAUD APPLAUD. The crowd is so much more part of the overall experience. I'm going to check out a recorded 49er game tomorrow to see how it is. Again, I always felt this was soft with Arcam 550. I know these are perhaps odd areas to focus but it's a big part of my overall time in front of the sound system. Sports and bluray concerts.

I have Shooter on TNT and sounds amazing. Tomorrow I will also get to UHD and Atmos. I can't to get some UHD discs going. My rear height modules arrive tomorrow. The final piece of puzzle. Let's see what rear heights add and how Arcam performs. I had Tarzan on today and sounded awesome.

So far, I think it's sounding better than the 550. I'm running XLR for all channels. The removal of onboard amps and a better power supply might be helping. But again, it's not night and thus far.

Early impressions with a manual set-up are very positive. I could be happy with this prepro but probably won't respond again until I get Dirac completed over the weekend and some additional fine tuning but just sitting here typing with cable tv on its sounding damn good.

I don't want the open ended comments to distract from how really excellent sounding this unit is. My initial thoughts are the prepro is sounding better over the AVR. It's not night and day and the 550 would make a great choice if someone wanted to use some of their own amps. But I got a great deal on the 860 and got almost $2300 back with a Magnolia buyback. The delta to move forward with the 860 wasn't too bad but I did need to buy a six channel amp for rears and height modules.

I think you would enjoy the Arcam. Can't wait to hear the latest update which I never ran on the 550.

Rick
So any more to comment on musicality? Granted you can?t compare as you no longer have it but do you still miss your Classe?? The U.K. AVFORUMS seemed to put the 860 at a similar level to the Anthem AVM60 which I believe is great for movies but not quite at the previous $10K prepros for music - Classe?, Anthem and Bryston. I want to be able to get rid of my Ayre preamp from my setup on my next Prepro.

post #134 of 163 Old 10-25-2017, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So any more to comment on musicality? Granted you can?t compare as you no longer have it but do you still miss your Classe?? The U.K. AVFORUMS seemed to put the 860 at a similar level to the Anthem AVM60 which I believe is great for movies but not quite at the previous $10K prepros for music - Classe?, Anthem and Bryston. I want to be able to get rid of my Ayre preamp from my setup on my next Prepro.
I am stilling going thru the motions and as stated I don’t want to flip flop on any comments I make. I lived with the 860 in manual mode for several days now. I’ve set distance and levels with my SPL meter. I also inserted rear height modules and I was unable to do this with the 550 as I used preouts for my own amps for front three.

I’ve watched a number of UHD discs now the last being Life and it was awesome. I really love discs playing thru the Arcam. It’s crystal clear and has been just a blast. Boy, one of the effects that put a smile on my face was a scene in Life where there was a breach from behind in one of the chambers and the alarm was up high on the ceiling. That alarm blasting and coming thru the rear height modules was a treat for sure. My rears are KEF LS50 with KEF height modules front and rear. I know this is for just surround effects but these speakers (especially the LS50) sound better with a bit more grunt behind them. The move to a 7 channel amp for rears and heights has been an improvement over the 550 internal amps. I do think the 860 is sounding better than the 550 but as I said not night and day but enough that I notice. It could be the separate amps (but I was already using my own with the 550) so that’s not it. The XLRs? Maybe. I just did not have the patience to hook-up all XLRs for 9 speakers including sub then break it down and try RCA. Too much work. I had the cables so there was no need not to use them.

So far so good right?

I mentioned I picked up my first music server and I was getting really annoyed!! I’m dumb sometimes but not stupid.i could not get the NAD M50.2 to play thru my speakers. I at first was using a coax cable and into one of the inputs and set the matching input for stereo and a digital connection and nothing. I changed the settings and tried other inputs so many times I thought my head would spin. Nothing. I then decided okay, I ran a cable into my new Oppo 205. Fired it up. Changed the input on the Oppo and bam! Beautiful MQA sound coming from the NAD into the Oppo and into my headphones via my headphone amp. Sounds awesome and confirmed not an issue with NAD.

Back to Arcam. Moved to optical. Only two choices for optical connection STB or AV input. I swear I tried for well over two hours and nothing thru my speakers. I flopped the connection back and forth between the the inputs and was ready to send an email to Arcam or post a question here on AVS if I was missing a set-up option. I was extremely annoyed and couldn’t get it to work. I tried STB again changing to stereo and digital connection and finally sound!! This was not a user error. For some reason the Arcam was not picking up on my revised settings and it just kicked in. Now reads digital stereo. Maybe I should have turned the unit off and on again/recycled after changing values in the input but I was annoyed as hell by the time it kicked in. A little bug or something.

Stereo has sounded really really good and I love this NAD server. This is where I’m going to leave it as I continue with things. If you put a water pistol to my head, no, I do not think the Arcam will quite live up to the SSP-800 or the Bryston in Stereo but these two units are/were twice the cost of the Arcam and a chunk of that money went into analog/stereo.

The Arcam is no slouch though and I want to continue my audition for a few days but it really does sound pretty darn good. The NAD has no DAC but it seems to be a highly built unit and is contributing to the overall sound picture I’m sure. You want this to replace your Ayre? Boy I’d rather have you hear for yourself. What will be your source?

But I am finally down to running Dirac tomorrow. If connection issues hadn’t taken so long with the NAD (but not a NAD issue) I might have gotten to Dirac today but I wanted to enjoy the NAD before the next round and etch in my head the sound via manually set-up.

Broadcast TV. It’s very good, I’m not sure why something changes along the way at times. I’ve stated this before. Sometimes it’s off for some reason and other times it’s great with a steady very good in the middle. I think someone in the 550/850 thread made a comment about a show there. I’ve heard better with sports and crowd noise but I did enjoy the games Sunday. There was improvement from initially on due to getting things more dialed in. This unit also sounds better with some volume attached. It can be a little soft during real late night listening when the family is in bed or whatever.

I’ll let you know after a few days with Dirac. I was behind two or three versions on the 550 as I waited for Arcam to make some updates. I have the latest version loaded and ready to go on the 860.

Maybe we can wrap this up by the weekend but I’m very happy thus far. Everything I updated or added has really come together as I hoped for the most part. The 860 is doing a really nice job pulling it all together and movies have been the best I’ve experienced even over the Classe.

Rick

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 10-25-2017 at 01:46 AM.
post #135 of 163 Old 10-25-2017, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:

I’ll let you know after a few days with Dirac. I was behind two or three versions on the 550 as I waited for Arcam to make some updates. I have the latest version loaded and ready to go on the 860.

Rick

......Thanks for your impressions, they are well conluded and great value. I have interests in the Arcam 860 so really following in how it goes for you, I would think Dirac will surely make a different to both movies and stereo.

I have the Marantz 8801+ miniDSP 88A/Dirac but will make the step up to Atmos and was hoping for a unit that would do Dirac/Atmos in a one box solutions. Dirac is extremely good so its either this or the Marantz 8802 (3) and the miniDSP 88A, or the Arcam wich means a lot less cabling and lesser boxes wich is great.

GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference
post #136 of 163 Old 10-28-2017, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Dolby Surround and DTSX

I am getting very little sound from my front left and right speakers when watching TV in either of these modes. Same result if DIrac is on or off. Changing to multi-channel stereo bring the front speakers back to expected levels. I am going to report this as I believe this has been noted in other threads as well.

Nick
post #137 of 163 Old 10-28-2017, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiret View Post
I am getting very little sound from my front left and right speakers when watching TV in either of these modes. Same result if DIrac is on or off. Changing to multi-channel stereo bring the front speakers back to expected levels. I am going to report this as I believe this has been noted in other threads as well.

Nick
Nick, I just don’t know. My issue is not low volume it’s the center in particular is running super hot. To a lesser degree front right and left.

I moved to XLRs and I have four separate amps for 9 channels. I’m struggling with Dirac as if I have level set okay for the hot center I have problems with setting heights and surrounds. Or visa versa. If I set levels for these speakers I can’t dial back the center enough.

I’m just not sure what is occurring. I did a reset prior to trying Dirac but I think I’ll whip the SPL meter out. It seems I’ve been working all these upgrades for two weeks. I’m burnt and need to enjoy a bit.

It sounded really excellent last night manually set-up and watching UHD and Atmos.

How many amps are you running and using XLR? I need to figure out these issues so I can run Dirac. I’m calling KEF tomorrow in regards to my center to discuss changes I’ve done and what is causing it to run so hot. Something I’ve changed in set-up or Arcam??

Annoying but there is hope as I’ve starting really enjoying it with movies and music.

Rick
post #138 of 163 Old 10-28-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Nick, I just don’t know. My issue is not low volume it’s the center in particular is running super hot. To a lesser degree front right and left.

I moved to XLRs and I have four separate amps for 9 channels. I’m struggling with Dirac as if I have level set okay for the hot center I have problems with setting heights and surrounds. Or visa versa. If I set levels for these speakers I can’t dial back the center enough.

I’m just not sure what is occurring. I did a reset prior to trying Dirac but I think I’ll whip the SPL meter out. It seems I’ve been working all these upgrades for two weeks. I’m burnt and need to enjoy a bit.

It sounded really excellent last night manually set-up and watching UHD and Atmos.

How many amps are you running and using XLR? I need to figure out these issues so I can run Dirac. I’m calling KEF tomorrow in regards to my center to discuss changes I’ve done and what is causing it to run so hot. Something I’ve changed in set-up or Arcam??

Annoying but there is hope as I’ve starting really enjoying it with movies and music.

Rick
I have 7.1.4 Setup.

I have a Sunfire 7 channel amp for fronts/center/surrounds and rears. All connections are XLR. I have an Emotive 5 channel amp for my 4 Atmos speakers.

I am going to re-run Dirac tomorrow. I have been grouping my center and fronts together to get a single curve for all 3. I am not going to do that tomorrow to see if it makes a difference and will report back.

Nick
post #139 of 163 Old 10-29-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiret View Post
I have 7.1.4 Setup.

I have a Sunfire 7 channel amp for fronts/center/surrounds and rears. All connections are XLR. I have an Emotive 5 channel amp for my 4 Atmos speakers.

I am going to re-run Dirac tomorrow. I have been grouping my center and fronts together to get a single curve for all 3. I am not going to do that tomorrow to see if it makes a difference and will report back.

Nick
^^

There is no difference when I do not group the center with the fronts.
I have sent an email to the distributor to see what they have to say.

Nick
post #140 of 163 Old 10-31-2017, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:

Rick

Maybe I missunderstand but do you have a different amp in use to the center channel wich is causing different gain level, if so you can dial it down by using rca cabling or if you have gain levelmatching adjustment in the amp you could try that.

GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference
post #141 of 163 Old 11-02-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Those in the US, where are you purchasing?
post #142 of 163 Old 11-02-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Those in the US, where are you purchasing?
Magnolia (within Best Buy here in CA).

And contrary to belief they deal.

Rick

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 11-02-2017 at 01:30 PM.
post #143 of 163 Old 04-11-2018, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Arcam AV860

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding Dirac setup with the Arcam AV860. Is there a specific setup options

I have reviewed threads regarding the AV850 where when running Dirac you should set all the speakers to large, is this still true, and should a specific calibration file be selected.

Running 7.1. I am unable to complete the setup with Dirac, error code "Timedistcorrection_Maxcorr_Peak_Indistinct"

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by solly46; 04-16-2018 at 11:58 AM.
post #144 of 163 Old 05-03-2018, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hey guys. I currently have an Integra DRC-R1 and want to upgrade to either the Marantz 8805 or the 860. I've never owned an Arcam before so curious about it's sound quality. The Marantz supports more channels and will be upgradable when HDMI 2.1 drops. Does arcam offer upgrades like D&M. Also how would you say is the sound compared to Marantz prepros. I'd be using this mainly in my dedicated theater for movies only in a 5.1.4 setup. Any input is appreciated.
post #145 of 163 Old 05-04-2018, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
Hey guys. I currently have an Integra DRC-R1 and want to upgrade to either the Marantz 8805 or the 860. I've never owned an Arcam before so curious about it's sound quality. The Marantz supports more channels and will be upgradable when HDMI 2.1 drops. Does arcam offer upgrades like D&M. Also how would you say is the sound compared to Marantz prepros. I'd be using this mainly in my dedicated theater for movies only in a 5.1.4 setup. Any input is appreciated.

SQ is subjective obviously, but having both (well, 850/550 instead of the 860) I prefer what Dirac does more than Audyssey so think the Arcam sounds better.

Arcam does not update like Marantz does. The big advantage to the Marantz imo is the ability to do more channels. If you’re going to be at 5.1.4 for the foreseeable future, i’d skip the Marantz.
sbquart likes this.
post #146 of 163 Old 05-04-2018, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
SQ is subjective obviously, but having both (well, 850/550 instead of the 860) I prefer what Dirac does more than Audyssey so think the Arcam sounds better.

Arcam does not update like Marantz does. The big advantage to the Marantz imo is the ability to do more channels. If you’re going to be at 5.1.4 for the foreseeable future, i’d skip the Marantz.
I just purchased the Arcam AV860 and love it. Dirac is the best EQ imo. If interested I will hook you up with my dealer in CA. He sells Marantz, Arcam, & Theta Calsablanca and AudioControl. His thought between the Marantz and Arcam, go with the Arcam. If interested send me a private message and I will provide his contact # or contact your dealer. I owned the Theta Casablanca 3HD, and really can't tell much difference between the two with 7.1 setup
sbquart likes this.

Last edited by solly46; 05-04-2018 at 09:13 AM.
post #147 of 163 Old 05-04-2018, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly46 View Post
I just purchased the Arcam AV860 and love it. Dirac is the best EQ imo. If interested I will hook you up with my dealer in CA. He sells Marantz, Arcam, & Theta Calsablanca and AudioControl. His thought between the Marantz and Arcam, go with the Arcam. If interested send me a private message and I will provide his contact # or contact your dealer. I owned the Theta Casablanca 3HD, and really can't tell much difference between the two with 7.1 setup

I think this is for @sbquart

I’ve already got an Arcam and Marantz
sbquart likes this.
post #148 of 163 Old 05-04-2018, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by solly46 View Post

Thanks for the responses. I do really want to try out dirac live as audyssey never seemed to do anything for my room.
post #149 of 163 Old 05-04-2018, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
Thanks for the responses. I do really want to try out dirac live as audyssey never seemed to do anything for my room.
Arcam's implementation of Dirac was (and probably still is) flawed. Also I think that Arcam doesn't have flexibility in choosing crossover frequency values. They are all fixed so once a value is chosen it is applied to all speaker groups.

Obviously this is none of my business but Arcam is fairly expensive and I would like to be at least cognizant of any issues with the unit before I spend....
post #150 of 163 Old 05-04-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky27 View Post
Arcam's implementation of Dirac was (and probably still is) flawed. Also I think that Arcam doesn't have flexibility in choosing crossover frequency values. They are all fixed so once a value is chosen it is applied to all speaker groups.

Obviously this is none of my business but Arcam is fairly expensive and I would like to be at least cognizant of any issues with the unit before I spend....
Arcam has fixed the issues surrounding how they handled dirac and bass management
SteveC356 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page