• 1 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By Alanlee

post #1 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with Receiver and Amps

I am looking for help with picking a receiver and possibly an amp to power the following 7.2 setup, subs I have not decided on so leaving them out for now looking to get the speakers first. Most receivers only go up to 135 watts at 8ohms and from the specs of some of the speakers no where near enough to properly drive them. What is a good receiver to start for this setup and what amp can provide the full 300 watts RMS to the towers and the 225 watts to the center and 175 watts to the surround? The receiver also needs to support all the new standards like 4k HDR pass though and all that.

Thankyou very much for any help

Left Channel - PL-980
Right Channel - PL-80
Center Channel - PL-28II
SL Channel Side - PL-66
SR Channel Side - PL-66
SLR Channel rear - PL-980
SLL Channel Rear - PL-980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 70
If you want those power, you might need a PRE/PRO and some stereo AMPs to produce such high power. I don't think any multi-channel AVR out there can drive such required power.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
Acoustimass 15 Series 2 Sub
Too much to list here :)
post #3 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 276
[QUOTE=Brett Chartier;49244601]I am looking for help with picking a receiver and possibly an amp to power the following 7.2 setup, subs I have not decided on so leaving them out for now looking to get the speakers first. Most receivers only go up to 135 watts at 8ohms and from the specs of some of the speakers no where near enough to properly drive them. What is a good receiver to start for this setup and what amp can provide the full 300 watts RMS to the towers and the 225 watts to the center and 175 watts to the surround? The receiver also needs to support all the new standards like 4k HDR pass though and all that.

Left Channel - PL-980
Right Channel - PL-80
Center Channel - PL-28II
SL Channel Side - PL-66
SR Channel Side - PL-66
SLL Channel Rear - PL-980[/QUOTE

I don't know what a PL-*** is/are, but if they are 6 Ohm, then the Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Yamana AVR's will probably serve you well, if your sub-woofer/s have their own power. If the PL-***s are 8 Ohms, then you need to be looking at more powerful and very much more expensive amps/avrs. If you want a more specific answer, it might be a good idea to provide more information about the PL-***s: specs, makers, you know something more than PL-***. Also - why would you have a PL-980 for LF and PL-80 for RF?

You might also look at the room correction software that is provided by the AVR companies. Each company has its own correction software. Which one would be good for you?
noshank likes this.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know what a PL-*** is/are
A quick google search will tell you what they are.
Quote:
Also - why would you have a PL-980 for LF and PL-80 for RF?
I thought the same first but I believe it's OP typo.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh Nguyen View Post
A quick google search will tell you what they are.

I thought the same first but I believe it's OP typo.
Yes it was a typo I do not see where I can edit it as it does not give me the option must be cause I am new, but yes I see your point and thats what I am seeing now all the speakers are 8ohms now there is a few I am looking at with the pre outs mentioned however what I am not understanding is when I look up amps you get f all for watts coming out take for example this one Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier its only 75 watts for 2 channels its worse than the performance of the receiver which is 135 watts at 8ohms, What kind of an amp would I be looking at to do what I want?
post #6 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Would this AMP here PYLE PT8000CH Rack Mount 8000-Watt 8 Channel Stereo/Mono Amplifier plus a 7.2 receiver out pre outs be what I am looking for?
post #7 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 10:01 PM

You can check out Monoprice Monolith Power AMP series.
http://www.monoprice.com/pages/monol...bFrBoCi3Tw_wcB
You will also need PRE for these AMP.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Chartier View Post
Would this AMP here PYLE PT8000CH Rack Mount 8000-Watt 8 Channel Stereo/Mono Amplifier plus a 7.2 receiver out pre outs be what I am looking for?
IMO, I can't trust PEAK power. This number is inflated.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes - it probably would fit the specs you gave in your first post. I don't know much about Pyle amps. It sounds like a lot of power for the money. Makes me wonder why it is so cheap.

What are you going to do with the AVR and the 8 channel amp?

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh Nguyen View Post
IMO, I can't trust PEAK power. This number is inflated.
Your right that thing is crap, okay well out of these two which one would you pick, the Onkyo TX-RZ810 or the Marantz SR5010-R and thankyou for the link to the monolith looks nice but alot, would have to get it at a later date. Might have to start with the speaker off one of these units and see how it goes then move up to an amp.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-24-2016, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Your right that thing is crap, okay well out of these two which one would you pick, the Onkyo TX-RZ810 or the Marantz SR5010-R and thankyou for the link to the monolith looks nice but alot, would have to get it at a later date. Might have to start with the speaker off one of these units and see how it goes then move up to an amp.
I think the SR5010-R is not the latest AVR from Marantz; the 5011 is the latest. If the Marantz 5011 fits your price point, then I would recommend the Marantz or the Denon AVR-X3300W because Denon and Marantz have Audyssey room correction software. Onkyo has it own proprietary correction software. I do not know much about the Onkyo software. I do like Audyssey.

Before you buy, I would suggest you look at a couple of models above (in price) the AVR you have chosen to see what features those models have that you would not be getting, and then you can evaluate whether those features are attractive to you (would you need them). For instance, are you eventually wanting to have ceiling speakers? If so, will the AVR you have chosen drive those speakers?

Also - do you really need a 7.1 system or would a 5.1 system work for you. You are going to need a sub-woofer (SW). Maybe drop the rear surrounds and buy the SW. Just a thought. In my opinion the center channel speaker and the sub-woofer are the most important speakers in a music or theater system. Others might disagree.

Last edited by Alanlee; 12-24-2016 at 02:18 AM.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-24-2016, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22423 Post(s)
Liked: 12197
Quote:
I am looking for help with picking a receiver and possibly an amp to power the following 7.2 setup, subs I have not decided on so leaving them out for now looking to get the speakers first. Most receivers only go up to 135 watts at 8ohms and from the specs of some of the speakers no where near enough to properly drive them. What is a good receiver to start for this setup and what amp can provide the full 300 watts RMS to the towers and the 225 watts to the center and 175 watts to the surround? The receiver also needs to support all the new standards like 4k HDR pass though and all that.

Left Channel - PL-980
Right Channel - PL-80
Center Channel - PL-28II
SL Channel Side - PL-66
SR Channel Side - PL-66
SLL Channel Rear - PL-980

These are 8-ohm/98db speakers so on average will be using <5W/CH let alone anywhere near the speaker max capability so unless you are using this in a music hall, any AVR model (to include the slim-line 50W Marantz AVRs) will provide more than enough power. Conduct your search based on your feature/input/output requirements ... not on power.

Also, as Alanlee suggested ... forget about the 2nd set of PL-980's for the rear surrounds (at least for now) and instead purchase the two subs (eg. SVS PB2000).
zorax2 likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-24-2016, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
These are 8-ohm/98db speakers so on average will be using <5W/CH let alone anywhere near the speaker max capability so unless you are using this in a music hall, any AVR model (to include the slim-line 50W Marantz AVRs) will provide more than enough power. Conduct your search based on your feature/input/output requirements ... not on power.

Also, as Alanlee suggested ... forget about the 2nd set of PL-980's for the rear surrounds (at least for now) and instead purchase the two subs (eg. SVS PB2000).
+100
With a 98 dB sensitivity, these speakers do not need much power to play very loud. You wouldnt get anywhere close to sending 300 W to these even at fairly loud listening levels. Just about any receiver with 100 W/ch is more than enough. Just make sure it is able to power them all without an ext amp, and has the features that you want/need.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 18 Old 12-24-2016, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
I think the SR5010-R is not the latest AVR from Marantz; the 5011 is the latest. If the Marantz 5011 fits your price point, then I would recommend the Marantz or the Denon AVR-X3300W because Denon and Marantz have Audyssey room correction software. Onkyo has it own proprietary correction software. I do not know much about the Onkyo software. I do like Audyssey.

Before you buy, I would suggest you look at a couple of models above (in price) the AVR you have chosen to see what features those models have that you would not be getting, and then you can evaluate whether those features are attractive to you (would you need them). For instance, are you eventually wanting to have ceiling speakers? If so, will the AVR you have chosen drive those speakers?

Also - do you really need a 7.1 system or would a 5.1 system work for you. You are going to need a sub-woofer (SW). Maybe drop the rear surrounds and buy the SW. Just a thought. In my opinion the center channel speaker and the sub-woofer are the most important speakers in a music or theater system. Others might disagree.
I already have a 5.1 system mind you its the in the box type and no, no plans for a in ceiling speaker system talking to someone who does not own a house to do that **** lol that will come in time. I just want more from it I have also been looking at 11.2 receivers I do like the idea of the atmos speakers that face up and reflect then use the software tuning. My budget I would like to keep the receiver around 1g or less and looking by refurbished to keep something higher closer to budget. I did not know that about the onkyo I did also hear that the sub channels are not independent so they also lie saying its a 7.2 system. I did find Emotiva Audio XPA7 amp on amazon 1614 mind you its expensive but something to keep in mind for later if for some reason I am not happy with how the receiver powers them.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-24-2016, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Now that I am feeling better about the receiver being able to power the speakers I think what I may do is get the Marantz SR7011 $1199 new or $1099 re-certified. And this would allow all the features I am looking for and more since the addition of the other channels and processing power.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-24-2016, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Now that I am feeling better about the receiver being able to power the speakers I think what I may do is get the Marantz SR7011 $1199 new or $1099 re-certified. And this would allow all the features I am looking for and more since the addition of the other channels and processing power.
Nice choice - it's a beefy AVR. It also sounds like a righteous deal if those are American dollars.
Brett Chartier likes this.

post #17 of 18 Old 12-24-2016, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
Nice choice - it's a beefy AVR. It also sounds like a righteous deal if those are American dollars.
Its USD I am Canadian so I take a hit with exchange but were talking about a product that used to be 2199 here so dam good deal.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-24-2016, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Good choice...that AVR is 100% capable of driving every single one of those speakers on your list, plus 2 more.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
amp , amp and receiver , Home Theater , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page