Marantz SR5011 Low Sound from Speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-04-2017, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Marantz SR5011 Low Sound from Speakers

Hi,

I purchased a Marants SR5011 a few days ago to replace my Denon AVR-X2000. I am having two issues I can't find a solution for:

• The volume is pretty low. I calibrated the sound a few times with Audyssey and everything calibrates fine. However, when listening to music, watching movies, or just watching regular TV, I have to raise the volume knob past 70 to get some good sound/clarity. For example, movie/tv dialogues sound pretty low. You can barely make out what actors are saying. However, if a music scene comes out, it's way too loud and I have to dial the volume back down to the 40's. What could be wrong here? I have the receiver paired with book shelf speakers all around from B&W. I didn't have this issue with the Denon receiver.
  • Second issue is that when increasing/decreasing the volume, I get both the TV bar volume and the receiver bar volume. They overlap each other and sometimes you can't make out the bard progress. The bar from the tv and the receiver are off by 2 volume levels.

The B&W speakers are (front and rear-surround / left / right) 685's rated at 100w. The center speaker is a B&W CM Centre rated at 120w and the sub is a Pioneer SW-8MK2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-04-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21831 Post(s)
Liked: 11828
Best to post AVR model specific issues in their respective Owner's thread ....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-s-thread.html
post #3 of 6 Old 01-04-2017, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Will do, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-30-2017, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi unix4linux, were you able to improve your low sound issue? I have the same problem (also B&W bookshelf-speakers) - the volume level needs to be above 70 to make sound audible enough.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-30-2017, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkhan View Post
Hi unix4linux, were you able to improve your low sound issue? I have the same problem (also B&W bookshelf-speakers) - the volume level needs to be above 70 to make sound audible enough.
Yep, I was able to get it going. Here is what I changed:

In Setup on the Receiver:

* Go to Audio --> Dialog Level Adjust --> Dialog Level Adjust [On] / Level [+8.0]
* Go to Audio --> Surround Parameter -->Cinema EQ [On] / Loudness Management [On] / Dynamic Compression [Low] / Low Frequency Effects [0 db]
* Go to Audio --> Audyssey --> MultEQ XT [Reference] / Dynamic EQ [On] / -Reference Level Offset [0db] / Dynamic Volume [Medium]

The settings that really made the difference are in green but the others helped. Hope this helps
post #6 of 6 Old 01-31-2017, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21831 Post(s)
Liked: 11828
Quote:
Originally Posted by unix4linux View Post
Yep, I was able to get it going. Here is what I changed:

In Setup on the Receiver:

* Go to Audio --> Dialog Level Adjust --> Dialog Level Adjust [On] / Level [+8.0]
* Go to Audio --> Surround Parameter -->Cinema EQ [On] / Loudness Management [On] / Dynamic Compression [Low] / Low Frequency Effects [0 db]
* Go to Audio --> Audyssey --> MultEQ XT [Reference] / Dynamic EQ [On] / -Reference Level Offset [0db] / Dynamic Volume [Medium]

The settings that really made the difference are in green but the others helped. Hope this helps
Note that using the Dialog Level Adjust (rather than the Manual Setup - Levels - Test Tones - Center as is recommended), you have actually boosted the center speaker volume 8 + (Manual Setup setting) such that if the Manual Setup - Levels - Test Tones - Center setting is -6db then the center speaker has now been bumped up by 8 + 6 = 14db.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
sound , volume level

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page