Upgrade from Onkyo TX-NR809 to TX-RZ810 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2017, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Upgrade from Onkyo TX-NR809 to TX-RZ810

All -

Has anyone upgraded from the the TX-NR809 to the TX-RZ810 or any similar upgrade? Debating on taking the plunge to get better HDR/4K compatibility with my 4K display but I've heard mixed reports on the TX-RZ810's proprietary room correction software as it compares to the Audyssey in the 809. Any input on the pros/cons of the TX-RZ810 or similar receiver in the family is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2017, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I changed out my txnr838 with the rz810. I had to calibrate it a few times with accueq to get it sounding good but I did get sounding very nicely in the end. The power supply is a bit smaller compared to the 838 (4lbs lighter) but it's still good size with customized oversized capacitors for you the amp section as well. I think you will be quite pleased with this receiver.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkage View Post
I changed out my txnr838 with the rz810. I had to calibrate it a few times with accueq to get it sounding good but I did get sounding very nicely in the end. The power supply is a bit smaller compared to the 838 (4lbs lighter) but it's still good size with customized oversized capacitors for you the amp section as well. I think you will be quite pleased with this receiver.
I've just upgraded from Sony STRDN840 to an Onkyo RZ810. It is taking a lot of tweaking, the HDMI inputs are a little funny, and it hung up on a network upgrade (I had to do it finally with a usb drive) but I think it will work out fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-09-2017, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a TX RZ810 to go with an LG OLED 65inch. I have found it impossible to get ARC to work with it. The receiver worked fine with cable (comcast) and blue ray (Oppo 203) but in order to use the "smart" TV (particularly Netflix and Amazon Prime in HDR) I was forced to use the optical out since the LG would not allow me to output sound through ARC. I could go into the sound settings and choose that option but the moment that I selected it it would revert to sound from TV! I was also forced to use the HDMI1 input to connect the Roku Premiere which, like all Rokus it seems, was very buggy. Netflix and Amazon Prime on the LG were flawless.

Where I have found the Onkyo completely unacceptable is on the sound setup. I have B&W CMD 9NT front speakers with the same model subwoofer and center speaker. Rather generic Polk speakers as surrounds. When I run AccuEq the result sets the fronts, which are bi amped, to 200 (?) crossover, center to 70 crossover, and surrounds to 40. If I accept that I get almost no sound out of the fronts. For the moment I have set all the speakers to small and the crossovers to 80.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-10-2017, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Room Correcttion Does Not Work For Me

I have had the 810 for over a year now. No issues. Works well for home theater. But, I tried to use the room correction feature and it was a bust, settings it selected were horrible . So, I manually made what I thought were the best settings to use. For the record, I only use the 810 for TV/movie watching and not for 2 channel music listening. I have a separate system for that including 2nd set of front speakers. I do not use 95% of the features available on the 810. I just keep it simple. Cable box into 810 via HDMI and then 810 (ARC) to TV (ARC). 810 is my first Onkyo AVR. In the past I had a Yamaha RX-V1030 and before that a Pioneer Elite VSX-03, and then an Marantz AVR. They all sounded and worked well.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-18-2017, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Got a 810 and 820. Had the 810 for a while now, no problems and great sound use it for movies and music. The room correction sucks in my room which has some acoustic issues. I set it up myself. Better that way anyway. Still highly recommmend the 810. Awesome in every other way. The 820 has issues though which are still unresolved at the moment. It won't play to channel movies for some reason. No vocals.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-10-2018, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwilhelmed View Post
All -

Has anyone upgraded from the the TX-NR809 to the TX-RZ810 or any similar upgrade? Debating on taking the plunge to get better HDR/4K compatibility with my 4K display but I've heard mixed reports on the TX-RZ810's proprietary room correction software as it compares to the Audyssey in the 809. Any input on the pros/cons of the TX-RZ810 or similar receiver in the family is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Did you end up taking the plunge? I'm in the exact same boat as you (I just bought a new RZ810, haven't opened the box) and am wondering if it's the right time to replace my '809.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-15-2018, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Razr - sorry for the delayed response. Yes I did upgrade and I haven't looked back. The room correction software takes a lot less measurements than Audyssey which can be a positive or a negative. I also welcome the reduced features in video adjustment. I am not a pro but I feel like this is something best left for the TV to handle. In addition to the 4K / HDR compatibility, there are some awesome network features, Spotify integration, and other little tweaks that I prefer over the 809. Hope this helps!

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page