ARC and CEC stoped working Onkyo TX-NR626 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By atg9905
  • 2 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By afrogt
  • 2 Post By jdsmoothie

post #1 of 17 Old 01-15-2017, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ARC and CEC stoped working Onkyo TX-NR626

Ok first off I have a first gen smart TV and a PS4 connected to a Onkyo TX-NR626
Everything was working fine.

A couple weeks ago I noticed the PS4 was not showing up on my TV inputs menu (CEC function) Not a big deal as it happened before and was fixed by unplugging the HDMI and plugging it back in so I ignored it.

Yesterday I wanted to watch the game on TV and found the ARC is not working either. (I don't watch much TV)

I changed HDMI cables, reset the tv, reset the receiver, and I cannot get this to work at all anymore. (after resetting I made sure to turn CEC back on)

Did something break on my receiver??? The auto power off works from my tv to the receiver and the receiver detects the tv but they are obviously not working right.

I hear so much about the HDMI audio dying on these but the thing works perfectly fine other than CEC and ARC which are connected to each other. This is starting to annoy me because the input on the receiver does not auto switch anymore when I turn on my PS4.

Any Ideas? Is my receiver busted?

Everyone knows 1+1=10

Last edited by naps1saps; 01-15-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-16-2017, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 527
CEC is just very unreliable , I would just disable it on all components and buy a universal remote. It doesn't need to be expensive if you have a simple setup. PS4 may be an issue and require a more expensive remote but its still cheaper than a new AVR that may or may not work.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 17 Old 01-22-2017, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
same issues with Onkyo 626

Hi,

since a week I have the same issue.

My setup:
Onkyo 626 with Chromecast, FireTV, Xbox One, cable receiver connected to it (all via HDMI)
Samsung SUHD TV (JS8090) conncted to monitor out on TV's ARC (HDMI4)

Here the symptoms:
- receiver no longer turns on TV
- TV no longer finds receiver as anyconnect+ device
- "ARC" indicator no longer lights up on receiver
- it is still possible to channel audio from TV to receiver, but it has to be done manually (TV: tools --> speaker --> receiver)
- TV still turns off receiver

Quite annoying. I did the same procedure: factory reset receiver - no help. Factory reset TV - no help. As you have the same issue and the only common thing is the Onkyo receiver, it seems to be the problem. It worked for me for 2-3 years quite nicely.

Please skip generic posts with CEC/HDMI not working reliably, as apparently in two setups it was working nicely for some time. Also, just bridging the audio is not the solution. In my case, using chromecast for spotify turns on TV & receiver, which is not covered by this work around.

Any new insights?
blatz8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-23-2017, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 727 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22390 Post(s)
Liked: 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg9905 View Post
Hi,

since a week I have the same issue.

My setup:
Onkyo 626 with Chromecast, FireTV, Xbox One, cable receiver connected to it (all via HDMI)
Samsung SUHD TV (JS8090) conncted to monitor out on TV's ARC (HDMI4)

Here the symptoms:
- receiver no longer turns on TV
- TV no longer finds receiver as anyconnect+ device
- "ARC" indicator no longer lights up on receiver
- it is still possible to channel audio from TV to receiver, but it has to be done manually (TV: tools --> speaker --> receiver)
- TV still turns off receiver

Quite annoying. I did the same procedure: factory reset receiver - no help. Factory reset TV - no help. As you have the same issue and the only common thing is the Onkyo receiver, it seems to be the problem. It worked for me for 2-3 years quite nicely.

Please skip generic posts with CEC/HDMI not working reliably, as apparently in two setups it was working nicely for some time. Also, just bridging the audio is not the solution. In my case, using chromecast for spotify turns on TV & receiver, which is not covered by this work around.

Any new insights?

And would have continued without issue if indeed "reliable."

Try powering off and unplugging the power cords to all devices for at least 10 minutes. Then try again.
SeekerDK and KSpan like this.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-23-2017, 01:11 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Try powering off and unplugging the power cords to all devices for at least 10 minutes. Then try again.
Wow. I am humbled and repent :-)

This indeed made my combination work perfectly again. Amazing, considering that I wanted to installed old firmware versions on my TV...

Thanks a lot, you really made my day!

An now it's time to integrate echo dot.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg9905 View Post
Wow. I am humbled and repent :-)

This indeed made my combination work perfectly again. Amazing, considering that I wanted to installed old firmware versions on my TV...

Thanks a lot, you really made my day!

An now it's time to integrate echo dot.
Did that really work!!!!???? I have been grinding my teeth and losing sleep trying to get my CEC/ARC working again like it did for over 6 months.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-18-2018, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ARC stopped working on my Onkyo-TX646

I'm having this same problem with my Onkyo TX-646. The receiver no longer turns on when I turn the TV on and other issues. I now have to have the receiver connected via optical cable for it to work. I did a detailed post of the problem here in the AVS thread for the receiver. Since I'm a few months outside of warranty, Onkyo isn't helping so I'm stuck with this.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-18-2018, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2139 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
unfortunately it might be time for a more reliable receiver. Perhaps a newer Yamaha that is HDCP 2.2 compatible for future use.
srizvi1 likes this.

Afro GT
post #9 of 17 Old 01-18-2018, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 727 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22390 Post(s)
Liked: 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by srizvi1 View Post
I'm having this same problem with my Onkyo TX-646. The receiver no longer turns on when I turn the TV on and other issues. I now have to have the receiver connected via optical cable for it to work. I did a detailed post of the problem here in the AVS thread for the receiver. Since I'm a few months outside of warranty, Onkyo isn't helping so I'm stuck with this.
Did you try the solution I suggested in post 4?

Otherwise, if you purchased the AVR with a credit card, many card issuers will add an extra year or two to the mfr's warranty. Check with your card issuer to see if this a feature on your card.
leecreek and srizvi1 like this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 01-18-2018 at 10:54 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-23-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Did you try the solution I suggested in post 4?

Otherwise, if you purchased the AVR with a credit card, many card issuers will add an extra year or two to the mfr's warranty. Check with your card issuer to see if this a feature on your card.
Hey thanks for the reply. I haven't yet tried unplugging ALL cords and then replugging. During the troubleshooting, I did disconnect the HDMI and even tried a different one. Also on the call we did do a factory reset. But I'll give this a shot before giving up.

I do appreciate the suggestion to see if I paid the whole thing via a credit card which offers a double warranty. That might actually work out.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-18-2018, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Late reply here. (Might help somebody)...

I have a Sony X900E TV connected to an Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver ... I fixed my ARC functionality in one minute by doing a "Restart" from the 'settings' menu under 'About'.

All ARC functionality was instantly restored after performing this simple operation. No unplugging necessary. Maybe just my TV receiver combination (and possible firmware upgrades since this post originated) but it worked!

Hope this helps future searchers to this post.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-20-2018, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
And the same thing happend on my 656. But mine stopped working after the latest firmware upgrade, which I installed a couple of days before but never noticed till I tried watching something on the netflix app on my tv. This really seems to be a major issue right across the TX-NR range.

Is it possible to downgrade the firmware on these receivers?
post #13 of 17 Old 03-22-2018, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Same thing just happened to me on my 636. Luckily they post firmwares on their website: ** redacted ** but the problem is, that's the current firmware. I used the wayback machine to try to find old versions, which they also post: ** redacted ** ... even though it's a 2015 firmware I don't care. ARC worked in 2015 so whatever.

I downloaded the version from the website: ONKAVR0018_EAEAEAEAEAEAEAEA_114.zip and noticed the wayback machine version was called ONKAVR0018_EAEAEAEAEAEAEAEA_113.zip .. so most likely you can go to the official website and just subtract 1 from the filename and it should work and download just fine.

Next, copy it to a FAT formatted USB stick... I copied the zip, the zip extracted to a folder, and all the files in that folder to the USB stick... one of them had to work. Insert the stick, press USB + Standby/On simultaneously and it goes into USB flashing mode. This took forever compared to NET flashing mode.

Once it came up it didn't work with ARC for a good ~10 minutes and I was about to fire up review sites to see what brand I was switching to, but then all of a sudden it started working and the ARC light lit up. Thank god.

After this experience + the DHCP issues, I'll never get an Onkyo again, but at least I've bought myself some time on this receiver now.

Good luck.

This was all because I decided to fiddle with the settings and see if they fixed the DHCP issue where my receiver drops it's IP after about 24 hours and self-assigns a 169... address. Bye Onkyo!

** Sorry about the links: "To be able to post links or images your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts." FML.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-27-2018, 07:22 PM

Red face Seems my Onkyo TX-NR646 ARC and CEC started working again

Quote:
Originally Posted by srizvi1 View Post
Hey thanks for the reply. I haven't yet tried unplugging ALL cords and then replugging. During the troubleshooting, I did disconnect the HDMI and even tried a different one. Also on the call we did do a factory reset. But I'll give this a shot before giving up.

I do appreciate the suggestion to see if I paid the whole thing via a credit card which offers a double warranty. That might actually work out.
Hey just following up. It looks like my receiver works at least kind of normal again. Powering off the TV (again a Samsung KS8000) will turn off the receiver and turning the TV back on kicks the receiver back on. If I turn up the sound on the tv remote, it's the receiver volume that goes up. I think that covers all the basic ARC/CEC functions.

There have been a few instances where the sound will stop coming out the receiver (the little icons from the receiver's display will vanish except for the "TV" text and the Volume number). But if I turn the tv off and kick it back on seems to work again.

Off topic, but I did have a minor scare. With everything working again I decided to run the initial setup again that measures all the sound from your speakers to equalize it and the front right speaker sound was coming in real low compared to the rest of the speakers. I disconnected the plugs and reconnected and luckily the sound evened out again. Looks like I should make a note to periodically do this to test again because it's how hard to know when the sound is off.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-21-2019, 12:41 PM

Liked: 0
Post Old solutions to new-old problems

Quote:

I did not expect a 2½ year old post to solve my problem with 2019-gen hardware, but what do you know...
I would have imagined the industry had identified and fixed this, but noo..

I had the same issue with my Onkyo NR676 and Samsung NU8000.
Unplugged the power to both over night (nothing else) and now everything works perfectly.
I'm dumbfounded, but very happy
post #16 of 17 Old 07-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerDK View Post
I did not expect a 2½ year old post to solve my problem with 2019-gen hardware, but what do you know...

Unplugged the power to both over night (nothing else) and now everything works perfectly.
ARC/CEC sucks and unplugging is kind of step 1 when something stops working, followed by a hard reset. If it gets wonky again and powering down doesn't work then try a full reset.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-22-2019, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerDK View Post

Let's take your questions to the owner's thread

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...76-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
arc , cec , Onkyo , tx-nr626

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page