Marantz NR1602 flashing red on standby - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-21-2017, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Marantz NR1602 flashing red on standby

Hi all,

I bought a Marantz 1602 at an auction "as is" and unfortunately the unit turns on, but then enters standby mode and flashes red approx. every 2 seconds, which I understand indicates it overheated for some reason. I have tried resetting it as described in the manual by holding down the On + Enter + Return buttons. The display then does light up and begin flashing as it should, however when I release the Enter & Return buttons it then simply enters standby mode and flashes red again.

Is there anything else I can try? Or am I doing the reset wrong? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-21-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4819 Post(s)
Liked: 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by betweenrows View Post
Hi all,

I bought a Marantz 1602 at an auction "as is" and unfortunately the unit turns on, but then enters standby mode and flashes red approx. every 2 seconds, which I understand indicates it overheated for some reason. I have tried resetting it as described in the manual by holding down the On + Enter + Return buttons. The display then does light up and begin flashing as it should, however when I release the Enter & Return buttons it then simply enters standby mode and flashes red again.

Is there anything else I can try? Or am I doing the reset wrong? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Sometimes doing a half-dozen resets in a row will fix problems that a single reset doesn't fix.
After doing them, do a "soft reset" by unplugging the receiver from wall power for about 10 minutes.

The reset sequence as described in the manual isn't entirely clear. Try this sequence:

0. unplug the receiver from wall power for a while
1. use the on/off button to turn off the receiver (press and release it).
2. hold down both the Enter and Return buttons on the front panel of the receiver.
3. press and release the on/off button while continuing to hold down the "reset" buttons.
4. continue to hold down the "reset" buttons until the front panel display flashes.

The manual conflates steps 2 and 3, making the reset unnecessarily difficult to do.

If that doesn't fix things, then the receiver needs to be sent out for repairs. After getting an RMA from Marantz, send it to their central repair facility, United Radio in Syracuse, NY. Their turn-around usually is much quicker than a nearby repair shop can provide since they usually have parts on hand, while local shops have to order them, which can take weeks. Unfortunately, though, since this receiver model is long out of warranty, repairs might be more expensive than getting a different receiver.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 6 Old 01-21-2017, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much Selden. I've tried it many times but unfortunately it doesn't look like I can reset it. I appreciate your time though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-22-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I would start with a minimum setup: No other units and no speakers connected.
If that is OK, start hooking up one by one the speakers and finally everything else. After each step look for any visible problems by checking the AVRs indicators. Be especially careful with the speaker cables hookup on both sides: unit and speaker terminals.
Report back any problems or if it is working.

Last edited by gurkey; 01-22-2017 at 08:37 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-23-2017, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks but unfortunately it happens with nothing else plugged in at all.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-23-2017, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 801 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23714 Post(s)
Liked: 13060
Which means either repair or replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
1602 , Marantz , nr1602 , reset