HDMI splitter for UHD to TV and audio to receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 46 Old 01-24-2017, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI splitter for UHD to TV and audio to receiver

Hi all! Wondering if anyone has experience with HDMI splitters / switches for sending separate signals to a TV and a receiver.

I've got an UltraHD TV and a Blu Ray Ultra HD player, but an older (Onkyo) receiver with HDMI 1.4. I don't really need to upgrade the receiver yet (sound is mostly fine) except to support HDMI 2.0.

So I have the cable going directly from my blu ray UHD player (an Xbox One S) to my TV so it can run at full UHD, but then the audio gets limited to Dolby Digital for the ARC channel from the TV to the receiver.

If I route the signal through the receiver, I'd get amazing sound but the picture would of course drop to regular HD.

Does anyone know if there's an HDMI switch or hub available that can send a full HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 image to the TV, but HDMI 1.4 with only the audio to the receiver?

Or am I stuck shelling out for a new receiver just for the HDMI upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 01-25-2017, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21836 Post(s)
Liked: 11833
Another option is purchasing a 4k/UHD BDP which has dual HDMI outputs ... one for the 4k video to the TV and one for the HD audio to the non-4k AVR otherwise you could also purchase an HD Fury Integral.

https://www.hdfury.com/shop/splitter...60-444-600mhz/
post #3 of 46 Old 05-01-2017, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have the exact same question. My initial research leads me to believe that you're stuck with the lowest HDMI spec, meaning if you get a splitter and hookup to the AVR and 4K TV, the resolution of the HDMI handshake won't support 4K across the board.

I'm hoping I'm wrong though. Did you ever figure this out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 05-01-2017, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
The Integral linked will solve that problem, a regular splitter won't.
post #5 of 46 Old 05-11-2017, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
The Integral linked will solve that problem, a regular splitter won't.
I asked this same question in another thread on this forum. Someone recommended this splitter to me: https://sewelldirect.com/splitdeck-1...hdmi-splitter-

Are you saying it won't work to send 4k HDR to my TV while sending Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD to my receiver? (I plan on hooking up my Xbox One S to an LG C6 OLED and my receiver is a Denon AVR 1613 from several years ago)
post #6 of 46 Old 05-11-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb23 View Post
I asked this same question in another thread on this forum. Someone recommended this splitter to me: https://sewelldirect.com/splitdeck-1...hdmi-splitter-

Are you saying it won't work to send 4k HDR to my TV while sending Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD to my receiver? (I plan on hooking up my Xbox One S to an LG C6 OLED and my receiver is a Denon AVR 1613 from several years ago)
Correct, it won't work.
post #7 of 46 Old 05-11-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 222
what we really need is a multi input HDMI switch with a seperate hdmi audio only out to breath new life into otherwise perfectly good receivers.
dancolt likes this.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #8 of 46 Old 05-11-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
+1. Correct. It won't work. Actually, it will work but you won't get HDR.

Many think signals are just split like in the analog world but it is more complicated in the HDMI digital world. With HDMI the source device has all the control and it asks the other devices including the splitter what they are capable of handling. In this instance the receiver is an older HDMI/HDCP version with less bandwidth. So the source sends the best capability of the lesser device in the chain, so the TV will not get 4K/HDR as that is beyond the capabilities of other devices (receiver in this instance) in the system. Remember the audio is embedded in the video signal. The integral will allow 4K HDR to go to the TV and convert to a lower bandwidth signal so the audio receiver can accept the lossless formats. The integral is a very capable device and for all it can do it is very reasonably priced, it is just not as inexpensive as a basic splitter.
radtek likes this.
post #9 of 46 Old 05-11-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
what we really need is a multi input HDMI switch with a seperate hdmi audio only out to breath new life into otherwise perfectly good receivers.
The majority of owners likely only have one 4k/HDR source (ie. BDP) and in that instance, as previously mentioned, they all have dual HDMI outputs (one for the 4k/HDR video (ie. if HDR capable) to the HDR capable TV and one for the HD audio to the AVR). Some also have an HDMI input (eg. Oppo 203) in which you can connect the 4k cable/sat box and then is covering 2 sources at least. The Integral could cover a 3rd external source.
post #10 of 46 Old 06-30-2017, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would something with EDID work? Perhaps the OREI from Amazon:
"Orei 1x2 2.0 HDMI Splitter 2 Ports with Full Ultra HDCP 2.2, 4K at 60Hz & 3D Supports EDID Control - UHD-102"
Sorry, new to the forums and am unable to post links yet.
Would it trick the source into thinking that the full 4k device was on both ports? If so, would the receiver be able to pick the audio out of the data stream?
post #11 of 46 Old 08-11-2017, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^ Exactly what I would like to know!
post #12 of 46 Old 08-24-2017, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All,

I'm facing a similar problem and wanted to pass along this link. I have a 4k/HDR LG, but my receiver is an older HDMI 2.0 (non-HDCP 2.2) model. Having just pre-ordered the new Xbox One X, I've been looking for a solution and found this:

https://www.hdfury.com/product/avr-key/

Obviously, it is not released yet, but it looks like it will solve my and others issue. A little cheaper than the Integral, but still not as cheap as a regular splitter.
azz7686 likes this.
post #13 of 46 Old 09-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Just what i was looking for perfect for now. Be a couple years before i upgrade, LOL

Spoiler!
post #14 of 46 Old 09-12-2017, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfitzpatrick711 View Post
Hi All,

I'm facing a similar problem and wanted to pass along this link. I have a 4k/HDR LG, but my receiver is an older HDMI 2.0 (non-HDCP 2.2) model. Having just pre-ordered the new Xbox One X, I've been looking for a solution and found this:

https://www.hdfury.com/product/avr-key/

Obviously, it is not released yet, but it looks like it will solve my and others issue. A little cheaper than the Integral, but still not as cheap as a regular splitter.
The AVR-key looks like a more focused purpose built Integral. Since the integral is only a bit more expensive, would the integral actually be able to split off an audio signal I wonder?

I played with the integral APP without the actual device and I couldn't tell if it simply did HDMI audio out on one port.

This will really be key if 4k UHD off apple TV 4k looks good enough to forego blu ray players. I don't want stuttering and nonsense on atmos either.

Blazar!
post #15 of 46 Old 09-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

I emailed their support team Sunday about your same question and he said I would need the integral and the linker, or wait for the avr key.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Spoiler!
post #16 of 46 Old 10-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

I have the AVR key and it works pretty good still a little quirky with this ks9000 samsung but after a minute or so it finally takes the handshake.
Still need to play with it some more maybe this weekend if I get time. For the most part once it pairs it plays 4K to my TV with a 50' hdmi 18Gps cable.

Does anyone else have one? Care to comment about their experience, debating on getting the bluetooth go blue so I can see what its doing but may just extend a usb to my main pc idk yet.

Spoiler!
post #17 of 46 Old 10-17-2017, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just received my AVR Key this past weekend. Currently, it is hooked up to my base PS4 so none of my tests have included a 4k HDR signal, only 1080p SDR and HDR. My biggest concern was adding latency and I haven't detected any additional input lag while playing games. Everything works great except I couldn't pass any audio signal while watching a 3d movie. It could be a hdmi cable issue as I grabbed some random old ones I had lying around. I'm going to order some new cables and re-test. Any suggestions on well priced 18 gbps cables?
post #18 of 46 Old 10-18-2017, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hi all!

I have a question...recently, I've made MY ROOM , for me, only,,,,,finally!!!!

The thing is...I've made an investment..4k hdr samsung TV, Nvidia Shield 2017 tv and Denon AVR X1300W 7.1

Everything is 4k HDR capable.

But...I have a pair of SONY MDR HW700DS which is 1.4....so....i need a splitter.

I've been watching HD Fury AVR Key...but the price is insane.

I've seen another option..this one.. egreat H10 (can't post links)

Which it's pricey too, but less than the HD Fury

My question is...I'm planning to connect:

Nvidia---egreat/fury----Denon----TV From the egreat/fury, an hdmi cable to the sony

If I turn off the switcher, I'll hear the headphone.

If the switcher is off....I'll hear the AVR normally?

I've sent this question to egreat forum, but still no reply.

Thanks!!!!
post #19 of 46 Old 10-18-2017, 02:24 PM

Sorry....I don't know how to edit posts in this forums....so...:

When I say:

I mean:

If I turn ON the switcher, I'll hear the headphone.

post #20 of 46 Old 10-19-2017, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanvarela69 View Post
Sorry....I don't know how to edit posts in this forums....so...:

When I say:

I mean:

If I turn ON the switcher, I'll hear the headphone.

The eGreat will most likely always have to be powered ON in order for the HDMI signal to pass through it. It would be set to BOTH when using the headphones and MAIN when not using them via the "Output" button (not displayed).

Also, I believe you must have at least 5 posts before the EDIT button is displayed to edit your posts and at least 10 posts before you can provide links in your post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	8848
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	2300936  
juanvarela69 and oldChatelain like this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 10-19-2017 at 02:33 AM.
post #21 of 46 Old 10-19-2017, 03:28 AM

HEllo jdsmoothie

Thanks for your kind and fast reply.

Between this one and HDFury AVR Key, I think I'll go for the egreat, because is cheaper, 40 euros less. Thanks again!
post #22 of 46 Old 10-30-2017, 03:11 PM

OK...egreat at home. Looks like opened and not new. Connected Nvidia to egreat. One hdmi (tried with the hdmi that comes in the box, and with another one), goes from nvidia to egreat and from egreat, two hdmi. One to AVR and another one to Sony headphones. No sound. I've tried different combinations and nothing. Even the image is not smooth.
What a disaster, all cables are 2,0 capable and quite expensive cables.
Suppose to be plug and play.....tomorrow i'll send it back.
post #23 of 46 Old 11-11-2017, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

What did you end up using that worked, if anything?
post #24 of 46 Old 11-12-2017, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by themcbrooms View Post
What did you end up using that worked, if anything?
I ended up just connecting everything directly to my TV to ensure 4K HDR signals. I then used an optical cable to get my surround sound. It means I can't get True HD sound and all that but plain Dolby through the Denon still sounds pretty good and I don't want to spend more money on a new receiver right now.
post #25 of 46 Old 11-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

I use HDfury avr_key just updated today works great so far there is and issue of audio dropout on old units which i have to test yet but new ones have this fixed!!!

Spoiler!
post #26 of 46 Old 11-12-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I ended up just connecting everything directly to my TV to ensure 4K HDR signals. I then used an optical cable to get my surround sound. It means I can't get True HD sound and all that but plain Dolby through the Denon still sounds pretty good and I don't want to spend more money on a new receiver right now.
Dang. I am able to do the same but I have an issue with lip sync and DD / DTS where I am not able to adjust the other way, was hoping there was an HDMI solution. Maybe the egreat will work?
post #27 of 46 Old 11-12-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
I use HDfury avr_key just updated today works great so far there is and issue of audio dropout on old units which i have to test yet but new ones have this fixed!!!
At $149, I think I’m better off investing in new hardware at that price point.
post #28 of 46 Old 11-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's on th cheap for me for now rx-3080 won't be lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Spoiler!
post #29 of 46 Old 01-08-2018, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I though I would share my experience as well. After testing several brands and some trial and error I managed to get the following splitter from Amazon to split a 4k HDR signal to a TV with uncompressed audio (Atmos/DTSHD-Master, etc) to my receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the 0111 EDID setting (mixed 2 for max video and audio). Granted, I should note that my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR444) does support HDMI 2.0a, it just doesn't allow passthrough of HDR. Before the splitter, if I played an HDR signal through the receiver sometimes it would display on the TV, but there were significant banding errors.

There were some CEC issues as well when using this splitter in this application, but I would assume that would be the same regardless of which device were used. The TV would want to send Audio back through the ARC and switch the receiver input. I use a shield which has the option to turn off CEC for TV control which eliminated that issue. I've also tried the below adapter which eliminated the CEC issues.

Just thought I'd share my experience. I spent a lot of time browsing the forums for solutions to this and never got a definitive cheap solution. The HDFury products look like they'll work, but I feel the price is a little high to fix one very specific problem.

Last edited by GiantWinston; 01-10-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Listed EDID setting incorrectly.
post #30 of 46 Old 02-25-2018, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantWinston View Post
I though I would share my experience as well. After testing several brands and some trial and error I managed to get the following splitter from Amazon to split a 4k HDR signal to a TV with uncompressed audio (Atmos/DTSHD-Master, etc) to my receiver.

I used the 0111 EDID setting (mixed 2 for max video and audio). Granted, I should note that my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR444) does support HDMI 2.0a, it just doesn't allow passthrough of HDR. Before the splitter, if I played an HDR signal through the receiver sometimes it would display on the TV, but there were significant banding errors.

There were some CEC issues as well when using this splitter in this application, but I would assume that would be the same regardless of which device were used. The TV would want to send Audio back through the ARC and switch the receiver input. I use a shield which has the option to turn off CEC for TV control which eliminated that issue. I've also tried the below adapter which eliminated the CEC issues.

Just thought I'd share my experience. I spent a lot of time browsing the forums for solutions to this and never got a definitive cheap solution. The HDFury products look like they'll work, but I feel the price is a little high to fix one very specific problem.
I'm in a similar situation. I just purchased an Xbox One X, I have an Integra DHC 80.3 that I can't afford to replace. The Integra is HDMI v1.4a. will this allow me to send 4K HDR to my tv and lossless audio to my pre/pro? Thanks!

Mirkwood Home Theater
This is my very, very, very outdated website. So embarrassing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors