Vintage McIntosh Amps integrated into modern theather - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-25-2017, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Vintage McIntosh Amps integrated into modern theather

Please forgive the sheer stupidity of this topic. I was recently willed an absolutely insane McIntosh Preamp, solid state amp MC 250, and stereo MC 2505. given this sudden wealth of vintage amazingness I have spent the past several days trying to figure out how to incorporate the amps into a possible theater upgrade. the question is, do people run their main speakers with these vintage amps hooked into their modern AV Receivers? My uneducated though process is to utilize these amps in mono and drive yet to be built LCR speakers while using my DENON AVR as the sound processor. Is this a completely off base idea? I do not see many topics on this situation as the two worlds typically do not coincide. if all else fails I will have an amazing stereo listening setup to build. all comments are welcome. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 547
What model Denon do you have? If it has preouts then you should be all set to use the power amps.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 8 Old 01-26-2017, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4809 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Bear in mind that you'll need high quality speakers to get the best sound. Using McIntosh amps with Bose speakers wouldn't be the best match.

That's one of the problems with free, high quality equipment. It's not really free.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-26-2017, 01:54 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Without knowing what you're trying to cobble together it is difficult to give you a definitive answer. If your current AVR (do you have one?) has no preamp out jacks then the short n quick answer is no. And you'll need at least one tape loop (HT processor bypass is ideal) to merge the gear together - or just swap cables out for movie night.

You need to list all of your gear if you want direct answers.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Polk LSiM705's - Denon DCD-1500 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC - (WWG1WGA)
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Polk LSiM706c Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #5 of 8 Old 01-26-2017, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I should have listed my setup. Yes I have a denon 890 which has pre outs on it. I have paradigm speakers currently but the thought ( constant begging to the wife) is to build the diysound group elusive 1099 for the front sound stage. I prefaced my first comment understanding it was sheer stupidity on my end. For whatever reason I had concerns over damage occurring, which is stupid as I could damage my setup now in any number of ways. I just needed someone else to confirm my rediculous thought process. Thanks for the comments.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-26-2017, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacm99 View Post
I have paradigm speakers currently but the thought ( constant begging to the wife) is to build the diysound group elusive 1099 for the front sound stage.
Just build them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacm99 View Post
I prefaced my first comment understanding it was sheer stupidity on my end. For whatever reason I had concerns over damage occurring, which is stupid as I could damage my setup now in any number of ways. I just needed someone else to confirm my rediculous thought process. Thanks for the comments.
I've repaired a lot of gear over many years, and most faults come down to stupidity on the part of the user. They were intoxicated and turned it up too far, machismo by turning it up to far to show off how awesome loud it could play, or embarrassed that they may ask a stupid set up question. You've done the latter*, but if you still have any doubts, ask more. Try to avoid options 1 and 2 with whatever you're doing.

I'll also preface it by saying that if you are expecting some sort of magic from an amplifier, you're going to be disappointed. Enjoy them for the gift they are.

* The only stupid question is the one where you had doubt, and didn't ask it.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-27-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4809 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
If nothing else, you'll be able to enjoy the lights and meters! There's also the enjoyment that comes from knowing you have some of the best available amps driving your speakers.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #8 of 8 Old 01-30-2017, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

yes, the McIntosh is just so damn pretty, I am in the planning stages of doing a whole theater redo, with the idea of hiding all my modern equipment and having only my vintage gear in sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page