The "Official" Yamaha RX-A860, RX-A760 and RX-A660 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 438Likes

post #301 of 321 Old 12-21-2018, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
One HDMI from tv arc to receiver arc is all you need

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thanks you for your reply But may I ask what a arc is? Sorry still trying to catch up to this info it's a lot
Thank you
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 321 Old 12-21-2018, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 644
In a perfect world that would be all you need. Assuming you are using a set top box of some kind, it is hooked to your receiver and you get sound to your surrounds through your AVR and the HDMI to the TV supplies video and audio when the receiver is off. The kicker comes in when you hook an OTA antenna to the TV and want to listen to the sound through your audio system. Many TVs will not send that audio through the HDMI and you must hook an optical cable from the TV to an input on your receiver. Anything that is hooked directly through your receiver and then to the TV should work just the way you want it.
post #303 of 321 Old 12-21-2018, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmat View Post
Thanks you for your reply But may I ask what a arc is? Sorry still trying to catch up to this info it's a lot
Thank you
Matt
Audio Return Channel. This little article may help understand.
https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-au...n-channel-arc/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 321 Old 12-21-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
Audio Return Channel. This little article may help understand.
https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-au...n-channel-arc/
Thank you so much been reading so much but that salesman got in my head
post #305 of 321 Old 12-21-2018, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmat View Post
Thank you
Matt
On your receiver one hdmi port will be labelled ARC (Audio Return Channel) and one hdmi port on your tv will be also labelled ARC. In your settings for both receiver and tv make sure HDMI control/CEC control are ON. In your tv audio settings make sure tv speakers are turned OFF.
post #306 of 321 Old 12-26-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
On your receiver one hdmi port will be labelled ARC (Audio Return Channel) and one hdmi port on your tv will be also labelled ARC. In your settings for both receiver and tv make sure HDMI control/CEC control are ON. In your tv audio settings make sure tv speakers are turned OFF.
Thank you very much
post #307 of 321 Old 01-07-2019, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
DTS:X dialog low and cannot be adjusted--solution?

Watched the Divergent 4K blu ray. It only has DTS:X as an English audio option. Played on Sony UBD-X700 BD player through Yamaha RX-A660 HTR. Sounds great, but dialog is too low and DTS dialog control isn't enabled on the 4K disc (I've heard only the DTS demo disc has that enabled). Had to turn on a Cinema DSP program to decode the audio as DTS-HD so I could hear the dialog better. But DTS:X is more immersive. Is there any way to have your cake and eat it too, other than boosting the CC speaker several dbs?
post #308 of 321 Old 01-09-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard58 View Post
Watched the Divergent 4K blu ray. It only has DTS:X as an English audio option. Played on Sony UBD-X700 BD player through Yamaha RX-A660 HTR. Sounds great, but dialog is too low and DTS dialog control isn't enabled on the 4K disc (I've heard only the DTS demo disc has that enabled). Had to turn on a Cinema DSP program to decode the audio as DTS-HD so I could hear the dialog better. But DTS:X is more immersive. Is there any way to have your cake and eat it too, other than boosting the CC speaker several dbs?
How about dialog level? Setup / Sound / Dialogue / Dialogue Level (as well as DTS Dialogue Level) adjustments. P. 93 of the manual. Is it unavailable when playing DTS?

If it is disabled ("oh, bother," said Pooh), then yeah you'd have to increase the Center level. :-\

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 01-09-2019 at 09:57 PM.
post #309 of 321 Old 01-16-2019, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
turn off speakers for bluetooth headphone use

I want to listen to music (primarily vinyl) via bluetooth headphones, but can't figure out how to turn off speakers, except for using mute. While this is a solution, its a really lousy solution, as you cannot adjust volume without the speakers being activated as soon as you adjust the volume. Anyone else have a solution?

Mark
post #310 of 321 Old 01-20-2019, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Playing an MP4 file through my Oppo 203, which is connected to my RX-A760. Audio drops out for half a second or so, every few seconds. It's someone reading out a list of names, and for example it'll come out as "Guy one, [blank] two, guy [blank], guy four, [blank] five" etc.

I created three .264 files from the same source video, in three different resolutions. Muxed them each with the same AC3 file to create three MP4 files. Not only are the audio dropouts consistent each time I play a file, they're consistent between files. Exactly as though the dropouts were a source problem.

But they're not. The source AC3 and MP4 files play just fine on my PC. Not only that, but if I hook the Oppo straight into the TV and use the TV speakers, it also plays fine. If I hook the Oppo to the TV, then use the TV's optical out to send the audio back through the Yamaha, I get the dropouts again.

So clearly the AVR is the issue.

I can watch Blu-rays and cable TV just fine. No audio issues outside of this one MP4 file.

I have NFI what's going on. Can anyone shed any light on this?
post #311 of 321 Old 02-03-2019, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello All,

Kinda new to the forum here. (I thought I was new, but it turns out I logged in here somehow before!) I've had my A660 for a year or so now, and finally had the budget to get some nicer speakers. I've got everything set up and it sounds awesome, watching movies, etc. Where this is most lacking is in listening to music.

TL;DR My goal is to have full range sound come out of the speakers that I have connected to the surround channel. All the DSP modes seem to relegate them to highs only, even 7 channel stereo.

Quick overview: I have a large open basement with my TV HTR setup in one corner/section. (Kinda L shaped, TV would be in the base of the L) We frequently use the basement for the kids with friends, birthday parties, etc, and it would be awesome to have the surround speakers essentially double as mains to balance out the sound. I've tried all kinds of different things, including connecting them as Zone B speakers. If I have them connected as Zone B, I get exactly what I'm looking for. If Zone B didn't double as the surround back speakers, then I'd be fine, but my recent upgrade included some front height speakers. So I either have to ditch my Atmos setup, or give up on this idea. (OR should I get a new AVR? )

@koberulz , I'm happy to help you test on my A660 if you want to send me a file.

Thanks in advance for the help.
post #312 of 321 Old 02-05-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hiatt View Post
Hello All,

Kinda new to the forum here. (I thought I was new, but it turns out I logged in here somehow before!) I've had my A660 for a year or so now, and finally had the budget to get some nicer speakers. I've got everything set up and it sounds awesome, watching movies, etc. Where this is most lacking is in listening to music.

TL;DR My goal is to have full range sound come out of the speakers that I have connected to the surround channel. All the DSP modes seem to relegate them to highs only, even 7 channel stereo.

Quick overview: I have a large open basement with my TV HTR setup in one corner/section. (Kinda L shaped, TV would be in the base of the L) We frequently use the basement for the kids with friends, birthday parties, etc, and it would be awesome to have the surround speakers essentially double as mains to balance out the sound. I've tried all kinds of different things, including connecting them as Zone B speakers. If I have them connected as Zone B, I get exactly what I'm looking for. If Zone B didn't double as the surround back speakers, then I'd be fine, but my recent upgrade included some front height speakers. So I either have to ditch my Atmos setup, or give up on this idea. (OR should I get a new AVR? :.
7ch Stereo mixes whatever content you're playing to 2.0 and sends it to all multichannel speakers as "stereo." I think that's what you're looking for. The CinemaDSP modes recreate a "listening environment" so the surround channels are just ambience information, e.g. echoes.

As for the odd frequency response, either that's a byproduct of your surround speakers (you didn't specify what brand/model), or you need to run YPAO again with your new speakers. You could be using old YPAO results (from the previous speakers) on the new ones, which likely sounds terrible. A quick test without running YPAO is in Setup, Manual Config, turn PEQ equalization to "Through." Turn all the tone controls (bass, treble) to off. Now, listen.

Oh heck, run YPAO again. Even if you don't use the PEQ, you should have test results for the new speakers.

BTW, if you logged in before, you're not using that account, looks like you created a new one for this post.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #313 of 321 Old 02-10-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
7ch Stereo mixes whatever content you're playing to 2.0 and sends it to all multichannel speakers as "stereo." I think that's what you're looking for. The CinemaDSP modes recreate a "listening environment" so the surround channels are just ambience information, e.g. echoes.

As for the odd frequency response, either that's a byproduct of your surround speakers (you didn't specify what brand/model), or you need to run YPAO again with your new speakers. You could be using old YPAO results (from the previous speakers) on the new ones, which likely sounds terrible. A quick test without running YPAO is in Setup, Manual Config, turn PEQ equalization to "Through." Turn all the tone controls (bass, treble) to off. Now, listen.

Oh heck, run YPAO again. Even if you don't use the PEQ, you should have test results for the new speakers.

BTW, if you logged in before, you're not using that account, looks like you created a new one for this post.
Thanks for the reply. I hope I can confirm that about 7ch stereo, because that's exactly what I'm looking for.

My surrounds are Klipsch RP-160M. Unfortunately, I'm still working on this frequency response thing. I tried everything from connecting one surround as a main and comparing them side by side, and they still sound different.

I did try the YPAO several times, and each time it seems to think a different speaker is out of phase - that's weird... When I turned the PEQ to GEQ, it was like a night and day difference, with GEQ sounding way better. Strangely, manually adjusting the EQ made no discernible difference. But the PEQ setting sounds awful after every time I run the YPAO setup. Any chance I'm doing it wrong? Maybe I need to spend some serious time with the manual... I'll spend some more time messing around with settings tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere. Hopefully that's all this is.

The login thing was weird, it told me I had logged in before, but I didn't remember doing it and I've never posted anything. (As you said, after I posted, it showed as my first post.) Strange - no idea how that happened, and since it never let me choose a screen name, now everyone gets to know my real name.
post #314 of 321 Old 02-11-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hiatt View Post
Thanks for the reply. I hope I can confirm that about 7ch stereo, because that's exactly what I'm looking for.

My surrounds are Klipsch RP-160M. Unfortunately, I'm still working on this frequency response thing. I tried everything from connecting one surround as a main and comparing them side by side, and they still sound different.

I did try the YPAO several times, and each time it seems to think a different speaker is out of phase - that's weird... When I turned the PEQ to GEQ, it was like a night and day difference, with GEQ sounding way better. Strangely, manually adjusting the EQ made no discernible difference. But the PEQ setting sounds awful after every time I run the YPAO setup. Any chance I'm doing it wrong? Maybe I need to spend some serious time with the manual... I'll spend some more time messing around with settings tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere. Hopefully that's all this is.

The login thing was weird, it told me I had logged in before, but I didn't remember doing it and I've never posted anything. (As you said, after I posted, it showed as my first post.) Strange - no idea how that happened, and since it never let me choose a screen name, now everyone gets to know my real name.
I get the wiring warning sometimes, too, but it's erroneous. All my cables are correct. If you're sure your cables are hooked right, you can ignore the warning.

No idea if you're doing YPAO wrong, try the suggestions in this guide: https://simpleonline.blog/2017/05/23...the-right-way/

How are you determining that your Klipsch RP-160M's frequency response is "wrong?" Could it be the content you're testing with?

post #315 of 321 Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I get the wiring warning sometimes, too, but it's erroneous. All my cables are correct. If you're sure your cables are hooked right, you can ignore the warning.

No idea if you're doing YPAO wrong, try the suggestions in this guide: "quoted url"

How are you determining that your Klipsch RP-160M's frequency response is "wrong?" Could it be the content you're testing with?
Hey, thanks for hanging with me on this one... I finally figured it out, thanks to you setting me on the right track. Long story short, the "Virtual CINEMA FRONT" option was set to "ON." With 7ch Stereo, that option has the effect of removing the bass from the surrounds, and who knows what else. I didn't hear any reverb or anything from them, so I never thought of that. I finally had some time during the day to mess with it (and could turn up the volume as much as I needed), and I was just mistaken about the GEQ adjustments not making a difference.

I still don't know why YPAO makes them sound so weak. I ran it again after turning the virtual cinema off, and it effectively neutered the speakers again. But I kept the volume and distance settings, and just went back to GEQ and it's great now. By the way, the source was just Spotify. My test song is always Tin Pan Alley - not usually my preferred genre, but it has a great, clean bass track.

Thanks again for the help. -Joseph
post #316 of 321 Old 02-11-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

PEQ will shape your speakers' response to adapt to the room. IMHO it can limit how you're used to hearing your speakers sound. When in doubt turn that off, let your speakers be themselves.

Cinema DSP will simulate environments, e.g. downstairs fart chamber in German cathedral (I stole that from someone here), for now leave that alone.

Turn off Virtual anything. Just use Straight.

Some of my preferred test audio: Diana Krall, Stepping Out (Remastered), "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea." Robert Rich & B. Lustmord, Stalker, "A Point of No Return." (Robert ends the album with a few seconds of pure 35 Hz tone.) Holly Cole, "Train Song." Faith No More, We Care a Lot (Deluxe Band Edition)(Remastered), "We Care A Lot." Chris Isaak, Baja Sessions, "Dancin'.". Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Shaka Zulu, "Wawusho Kubani?" (the end of the track, the entire band is jumping on the floor of the church they recorded in; you ought to hear it and feel it if the sub's up to it). James Newton Howard, The Interpreter soundtrack, "Matobo." John Barry, Moviola II: Action and Adventure, "Pawnee Attack Part I & II." Olive, Extra Virgin, "Falling." John Barry, Diamonds Are Forever (Remastered), "007 and Counting." Biosphere, Autour De La Lune, "Vibratoire." Stars of the Lid/John McCafferty, Per Aspera Ad Astra, "Anchor States, Part 2." Jan Garbarek, The Insider soundtrack, "Rites (Special Edit for the Film)."

Enjoy.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 02-11-2019 at 09:00 PM.
post #317 of 321 Old 02-13-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
PEQ will shape your speakers' response to adapt to the room. IMHO it can limit how you're used to hearing your speakers sound. When in doubt turn that off, let your speakers be themselves.

Cinema DSP will simulate environments, e.g. downstairs fart chamber in German cathedral (I stole that from someone here), for now leave that alone.

Turn off Virtual anything. Just use Straight.

Some of my preferred test audio: Diana Krall, Stepping Out (Remastered), "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea." Robert Rich & B. Lustmord, Stalker, "A Point of No Return." (Robert ends the album with a few seconds of pure 35 Hz tone.) Holly Cole, "Train Song." Faith No More, We Care a Lot (Deluxe Band Edition)(Remastered), "We Care A Lot." Chris Isaak, Baja Sessions, "Dancin'.". Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Shaka Zulu, "Wawusho Kubani?" (the end of the track, the entire band is jumping on the floor of the church they recorded in; you ought to hear it and feel it if the sub's up to it). James Newton Howard, The Interpreter soundtrack, "Matobo." John Barry, Moviola II: Action and Adventure, "Pawnee Attack Part I & II." Olive, Extra Virgin, "Falling." John Barry, Diamonds Are Forever (Remastered), "007 and Counting." Biosphere, Autour De La Lune, "Vibratoire." Stars of the Lid/John McCafferty, Per Aspera Ad Astra, "Anchor States, Part 2." Jan Garbarek, The Insider soundtrack, "Rites (Special Edit for the Film)."

Enjoy.
Maybe someday I'll go visit that German cathedral so I'll understand why it's so special...

FWIW, Straight and Virtual Cinema Front can both be on at the same time, which was what was causing me all that heartburn. Hopefully I was the "useful idiot" and these posts can help someone else in the future.

"Thank you for the music." -Abba
post #318 of 321 Old 05-09-2019, 02:48 AM

Question Network loop reset/reboot

Hello,

I wanted to listen to Spotify tody and I noticed that my receiver will keep disconnecting from the network like very 10 seconds or so.

It is a wired connection : it connects, find the network and gets connected for a few seconds and then it kind of restart the network.
I tried DHCP or Direct IP, it's the same bug.
I've made a video but I'm new on this forum so I cannot share. It's on my youtube channel : hyzteric

Worse : I tried to connect through wifi (unplugged the network RHJ45 cable first) but i cannot complete the setup procedure because it seems that the network component restart all the same every few seconds and I'm back to the first page of network setup.
I've made another video but I'm new on this forum so I cannot share. It's on my youtube channel : hyzteric

Also, I updated the Firmware to the latest available through USB because it obviously does not work through internet anymore : I have v2.65 now. Does not change anything.
I tried to reboot my router with no success. (I even updated its firmware too)

Any help or pointers is appreciated.
Michel
post #319 of 321 Old 05-11-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What does your router show? is it getting an IP address? Is this happening to any other devices? Have you changed anything on the router?

If you have network standby turned on, disable it and then put the AVR into standby. Unplug it, even.

If that fails, do a full factory default reset under Advanced Setup.

After that, I'd say that networking on the AVR has failed. :-\

post #320 of 321 Old 05-14-2019, 02:13 AM

I did not change anything on the router (except after I noticed the issue I tried to update the firmware).
No other device has any issue. I have 35 other devices connected via dhcb on my router. They all work well.
"If you have network standby turned on, disable it and then put the AVR into standby. Unplug it, even. " tried all that :-(

I will try the full factory reset and see if it does any good.
post #321 of 321 Old 05-21-2019, 02:34 AM

Factory reset did nothing for my problem. I contacted Yamaha directly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
nas , Synology , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page