Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1238Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3001 of 3013 Old 09-02-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 23,039
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2115 Post(s)
Liked: 766
I'd also like to know more about how you did this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KRP-600M View Post
Could you please provide more info about the other DSP and configuration... operation of this setup?

Noah
noah katz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3002 of 3013 Old 09-03-2019, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,591
Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5536 Post(s)
Liked: 5102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyrric View Post
Thanks for your thoughts on the subs. I may struggle to get another 2400 past the wife, they being the size they are. As a first step to getting to know my room better I am going to try to get to grips with REW. When you say you would move to another JTR since I have the PMC is this because there is a better synergy between transmission line speakers and ported subs?
I feel the JL sub is better suited than the JTR for music but the PMC don't require subwoofer support. The JTR is a better LFE sub than JL in most scenarios. JMO
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #3003 of 3013 Old 09-06-2019, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: MN and AZ USA
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1921
Video UPGRADE Announcement:

Just announced to dealers:

MP-50 users will be able to upgrade their video board for $1300 \ EXCLUDING VAT (but the price includes shipping). Details below. With all that said, I predict my customers will trade in their MP-50's for a MP-60. The list price of the MP-60 has not been released. I'm going to call to see if I can get a USD estimate and post accordingly.

Here are those upgrade details:
MP-50 HDMI Upgrade Program


The MP-50 processor will continue to be offered until current stock is sold through. For new and existing MP-50 owners, there is an upgrade program available to change over to the new 2.0b HDMI board, which is standard in the new MP-60 processor. With this upgrade, the MP-50 will support video resolutions up to [email protected] : YCbCr 4:2:2, 600MHz with Dolby Vision on all inputs and outputs (18 Gbps).

The upgrade process
Pre-orders for upgrades begin today. Upgrades will occur 10/1/19 – 3/31/20.
• All upgrades are completed at the factory with an estimated one-week turn-around.
• Please ship processor in original packaging to avoid risk of damage during transit, which may prevent us from performing the upgrade.
Please note: the upgrade requires a full disassembly of the processor, as the HDMI board and the rear and base plates of the processor must be replaced to fit the new board. The processor will be returned with all settings at factory defaults, so remember to keep a back-up for easy re-installation. After the upgrade, the MP-50 will no longer have a built-in video scaler, nor will it be able to show on-screen information (selection of inputs, post-processing, etc.). This information will be displayed only on the product display, in the Installer Menu, and through the Remote application.

Prices for upgrade
9/6/19 – 9/30/19 Discounted Price for September
• $1,300 (excluding VAT). Price includes roundtrip shipping.
• Orders must be placed with RMA and funded before 9/30/19 even if the processor is returned at a later date.

10/1/19 – 3/31/20
• $1,695 (excluding VAT) plus shipping fee of $150.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video
SteveH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3004 of 3013 Old 09-06-2019, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: MN and AZ USA
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1921
Checkout this important announcement here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-shipment.html

An all new MP-60. As I posted, I suspect most of my MP-50 customers will upgrade to the MP-60 and not bother with the video upgrade. Technology marches on. No price has been announced on the MP-60. Undoubtedly, it's going to cost more $$'s. The question is how much....
noah katz likes this.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video
SteveH is offline  
post #3005 of 3013 Old 09-06-2019, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
scanido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Checkout this important announcement here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-shipment.html

An all new MP-60. As I posted, I suspect most of my MP-50 customers will upgrade to the MP-60 and not bother with the video upgrade. Technology marches on. No price has been announced on the MP-60. Undoubtedly, it's going to cost more $$'s. The question is how much....
Not sure the logic in upgrading to the newer MP-60 as it appears to be almost identical. Those customers "upgrading" likely will take a huge lost now that MP-60 is announced. For new customers it makes complete sense to just get the newer version.

See Profile
scanido is offline  
post #3006 of 3013 Old 09-06-2019, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: MN and AZ USA
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1921
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Not sure the logic in upgrading to the newer MP-60 as it appears to be almost identical. Those customers "upgrading" likely will take a huge lost now that MP-60 is announced. For new customers it makes complete sense to just get the newer version.
It may not make sense for the new buyer to get the MP-60. It depends on the price point, pending support on the MP-50 etc.

The focus should be on the $$ difference which has a lot to do with various factors. Like how the dealer uses the trade in combo (spec it into jobs versus selling it used). Or what the dealer chooses to make. Forgetting that and specifically related to the MP-50, it has a universal power supply. That is important because it works with 240V without changing a thing. Couple that with European VAT taxes and it allows for the MP-50 to hold it's value specifically more for a used american seller. i.e. Folks from Norway (for instance) pay a lot more for the MP-50. Most don't "need" more channels either and the MP-50 is pretty current. In fact, they are selling a lot of MP-50's as we speak (probably less as of today). Therefore when you figure the high predicted resale value plus the cost of the difference specifically by paying for a the upgrade PLUS considering that the new platform retails higher (TBD), it might be a more reasonable to consumers than you think. Another surgery (for instance) and they get a MP-60. You get my point.

As a side note, it never works on projectors or TV. But it often works on later generation prepro's. For instance, I've taken in 90+ Marantz 8802A's on trade for 8805's. It all depends on what the MP-60 comes in at. So the jury is out...

Sorry for posting off topic. You were wondering about the logic so I figured I'd educate you. Big picture, I predict the MP-50 US pricing will fade FAR less than say a Bryston SP3.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video
SteveH is offline  
post #3007 of 3013 Old 09-06-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,339
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 716
The OSD will have to be pried from my cold dead hands. Also like matrixed wides better than native, so it's pretty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ for me.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
duckymomo is offline  
post #3008 of 3013 Old 09-09-2019, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
scanido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
It may not make sense for the new buyer to get the MP-60. It depends on the price point, pending support on the MP-50 etc.

The focus should be on the $$ difference which has a lot to do with various factors. Like how the dealer uses the trade in combo (spec it into jobs versus selling it used). Or what the dealer chooses to make. Forgetting that and specifically related to the MP-50, it has a universal power supply. That is important because it works with 240V without changing a thing. Couple that with European VAT taxes and it allows for the MP-50 to hold it's value specifically more for a used american seller. i.e. Folks from Norway (for instance) pay a lot more for the MP-50. Most don't "need" more channels either and the MP-50 is pretty current. In fact, they are selling a lot of MP-50's as we speak (probably less as of today). Therefore when you figure the high predicted resale value plus the cost of the difference specifically by paying for a the upgrade PLUS considering that the new platform retails higher (TBD), it might be a more reasonable to consumers than you think. Another surgery (for instance) and they get a MP-60. You get my point.

As a side note, it never works on projectors or TV. But it often works on later generation prepro's. For instance, I've taken in 90+ Marantz 8802A's on trade for 8805's. It all depends on what the MP-60 comes in at. So the jury is out...

Sorry for posting off topic. You were wondering about the logic so I figured I'd educate you. Big picture, I predict the MP-50 US pricing will fade FAR less than say a Bryston SP3.
All depends on the successors new feature set and whether it adds more value to the user. It's never a winning situation (financially) for the customer that ends up trading in for the latest and greatest, never. I guess we will find out shortly what the MP60 brings to the table to warrant a new model name. I am on the sidelines waiting and like the user friendliness of Room Perfect, but i am hearing amazing things on the Trinnov Altitude line.

See Profile
scanido is offline  
post #3009 of 3013 Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,591
Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5536 Post(s)
Liked: 5102
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
I am on the sidelines waiting and like the user friendliness of Room Perfect, but i am hearing amazing things on the Trinnov Altitude line.
Roomperfect seems user friendly at first glance, but actually can take more effort than Dirac Live or Trinnov's Room Optimizer to perfect. This is because RoomPerfect does not auto-detect distances/delays. RoomPerfect requires you to manually measure distances with a laser measure as well as find out subwoofer/DSP delays to add to the sub distance(s). RoomEQ Wizard (or equivalent) with timing reference is recommended for best results.
arisholm and ronildoq like this.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #3010 of 3013 Old 09-11-2019, 04:42 PM
Member
 
arisholm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Roomperfect seems user friendly at first glance, but actually can take more effort than Dirac Live or Trinnov's Room Optimizer to perfect. This is because RoomPerfect does not auto-detect distances/delays. RoomPerfect requires you to manually measure distances with a laser measure as well as find out subwoofer/DSP delays to add to the sub distance(s). RoomEQ Wizard (or equivalent) with timing reference is recommended for best results.
Agree, but also, despite the choice of RC it really pays off to plan (and measure the results of alternative) speaker+sub placement and room treatments, just like in the old days. So if you are not comfortable with all that, get assistance from someone with that knowledge, I think that will be a good investment. I will for my planned ceiling treatments ;-)

Movie: MP-50 7.4.4, Adam Audio S5X-V, Tensor Center, SVS 2xPB16 2xPC13, Isovolt 3k, microRendu+ultracap
Stereo: dCS Bartok, ASR Emitter II Excl, Paradigm Persona 9H, Adyton Isovolt 6k, Roon
arisholm is offline  
post #3011 of 3013 Old 09-23-2019, 08:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Does anyone have information on how to send the MP50 in for the HDMI board upgrade?
malba2366 is offline  
post #3012 of 3013 Old 09-24-2019, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
normandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Does anyone have information on how to send the MP50 in for the HDMI board upgrade?

I have been told by SL that this must be initiated by the dealer that will handle the paperwork and payment. I have done that.



The return of the unit could be done directly from my home to and from SL. Those instructions to me will be forthcoming. I have many unanswered questions, but will be on top of the process.

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
normandia is offline  
post #3013 of 3013 Old 11-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Member
 
bennyjammin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Can someone please confirm this - should I get sound from my top middle L/R when playing a DTS-MA 5.1 track with neural:x post processing?
bennyjammin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off