Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1278Likes

post #3061 of 3164 Old 12-09-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5857 Post(s)
Liked: 5426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyrric View Post
My question is as follows. Is there any way to use the aux channels to send a signal into the Crowsons without applying the Room Perfect room correction that is going to the existing channels?
NO

Quote:
If not can any of you see a way to get a signal without room correction to the Crowsons while having room correction engaged on the speakers?

The only way I have come across so far is to bypass the Lyngdorf completely as far as the Crowsons are concerned and use the sub out on the Oppo 103D to feed the Crowsons but then I lose the ability to change the level of the Crowsons by adjusting the MV control of the MP-50.
Using the LFE output on the Oppo is the best solution for tactile transducers. While you may think you want to control the Crowsons with the MP-50 MV control, using the Oppo's volume control to control TT level independently is much more useful and convenient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3164 Old 12-10-2019, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
NO

Using the LFE output on the Oppo is the best solution for tactile transducers. While you may think you want to control the Crowsons with the MP-50 MV control, using the Oppo's volume control to control TT level independently is much more useful and convenient.
Thanks Mark. I'll hook up accordingly when the Crowsons arrive and see how things go.
post #3063 of 3164 Old 12-27-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 829
MP-50 New Owner Experience

I used the MP-50 for about a week before running RP.

The first surprise was the apparent SQ improvement over the 7702.

I've heard differences between pre/pros (can't say I do w/power amps), though never sure whether they were real or imagined, so I wouldn't have been surprised if the MP-50 sounded no better sans RP.

Not sure if it was just having a working system after a couple of weeks w/o the 7702, or it happened to be a well done soundtrack, but within seconds of starting I thought "Sounds good!"

What caught my attention was the dimensionality, in two ways.

Individual sounds seemed more formed in space, and the front soundfield was noticeably bigger.

My setup is 9.2.4, so a large part of it may be the matrixed wides, which spread the sound over the front, wide, and surround speakers vs. the logic extraction of Neural X derived wides (I'm using up the 11 discrete channels with 7.x.4).

But it"s not just the front soundfield that expanded; the height soundfield is bigger and better too.

Not sure why that may be; I was thinking RP may do a better job balancing levels, but that seems kind of weak.

Also everything seems somewhat clearer with easier to discern dialogue and details.

The second surprise was the difference RP *didn't* make.

After running 12 mic positions with the last 3 giving 99% Room Knowledge, I couldn't reliably pick between Focus1, Global, or Bypass, except for the bass.

And the difference in bass was pretty much just level.

With RP it was rather low; after turning up the gain on my sub amp it sounds pretty much the way it did before.

I suppose that's not surprising, as I think I've done a halfway decent job matching and EQing my subs with the inuke DSP.

So overall I'm happy with the upgrade, though surprised that it wasn't from RP.

I'm watching a lot more movies and really enjoying the big cinematic sound.

But not as happy as I had hoped to be; despite the noted improvements the sound still lacks the hifi type refinement I've had in the same room when the speakers are on the adjacent long wall with more distance from reflecting surfaces.

Noah

Last edited by noah katz; 12-27-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3064 of 3164 Old 12-27-2019, 12:50 PM

Now some questions:

- Where do I see the room correction %?

- How do set up vTuner, i.e. add the stations I want?

In Setup/Source/Network Player there's a pulldown for Preset vTuner Station, but the only option is None.

Noah
post #3065 of 3164 Old 12-27-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Your description of the improvements before RP was activated seem accurate and similar to my experience with the 160 equivalent. Maybe re-run RP, as further improvement is likely (unless your room is exceptional).
post #3066 of 3164 Old 12-27-2019, 01:14 PM

That's interesting, thanks.

I'll run RP again and try keeping the mic locations closer to the listening area, and take a listen at lower Room Knowledge % since I can always add more.

Noah
post #3067 of 3164 Old 12-28-2019, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 25
With the 3.6.1 firmware update, channel gains seem to be scaled differently. Whereas before my RP gains were in the 18-24 range, now mine range from 1-7. Otherwise sounds the same.

Does anyone know what the values even represent? Obviously dBs, but I can’t understand why with previous processors I have used were always in the negative range, and now all values are positive. Is it telling us the measured gain and not the applied gain that the processor needs to get all speakers to reference level? Any idea why the values suddenly changed with this latest firmware?
post #3068 of 3164 Old 12-28-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
That's interesting, thanks.

I'll run RP again and try keeping the mic locations closer to the listening area, and take a listen at lower Room Knowledge % since I can always add more.
If you haven’t done so already, point mic towards and between front speakers in focus position, and in all other measurements keep mic in line of sight with all speakers. Within those bounds, you should be able to get it 100% moving the mic to different extremes, near walls/ceiling/floor etc.
post #3069 of 3164 Old 12-29-2019, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I just noticed the 3.6.1 update. Did not see any info as to what changes are included. Any Info?

John

post #3070 of 3164 Old 12-29-2019, 01:05 PM

Pretty sure I did all that but will try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyjammin View Post
If you haven’t done so already, point mic towards and between front speakers in focus position, and in all other measurements keep mic in line of sight with all speakers. Within those bounds, you should be able to get it 100% moving the mic to different extremes, near walls/ceiling/floor etc.

Noah
post #3071 of 3164 Old 01-01-2020, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Looks like the newest firmware ( 3.6.1 ) broke the web interface in my case. " I now only get an error: Your device might be offline or an error occured processing your request."

I've tried both restore to a backup and a total factory reset, same error.
Anybody else having trouble with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error mp50.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	2662316  
post #3072 of 3164 Old 01-01-2020, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
Looks like the newest firmware ( 3.6.1 ) broke the web interface in my case. " I now only get an error: Your device might be offline or an error occured processing your request."

Are you sure that 3.6.1 is for the MP-50? I thought that it was the new firmware for the MP-60. The website has it listed at 3.0.9 under the MP-50. May want to check into that.
post #3073 of 3164 Old 01-01-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:

I am running 3.6.1 on the MP-50. I haven't had an issue.

But, AFAICT there aren't any significant changes from 3.0.9 if you have the older HDMI hardware (me). If you have the eARC HDMI hardware you will want the new firmware.
post #3074 of 3164 Old 01-01-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
Are you sure that 3.6.1 is for the MP-50? I thought that it was the new firmware for the MP-60. The website has it listed at 3.0.9 under the MP-50. May want to check into that.
The new firmware i listed as a update option in the software menu, so this update it's for both units unless Lyngdorf has made a mistake.
I also tried a downgrade back to the 3.0.9 and that didn't help.

* Actually I thought I had reversed to a older firmware, but either a earlier backup or a factory reset does anything, the MP50 is stuck at the new firmware, I no more have the option to select an older firmware in the "update software/remote update". Firmware update via USB does also not work anymore.
Perhaps the new firmware was not supposed to be available for the MP50, but was released by mistake?

Last edited by Whoracle; 01-01-2020 at 02:30 PM.
post #3075 of 3164 Old 01-01-2020, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
The new firmware i listed as a update option in the software menu, so this update it's for both units unless Lyngdorf has made a mistake.
I also tried a downgrade back to the 3.0.9 and that didn't help.

* Actually I thought I had reversed to a older firmware, but either a earlier backup or a factory reset does anything, the MP50 is stuck at the new firmware, I no more have the option to select an older firmware in the "update software/remote update". Firmware update via USB does also not work anymore.
Perhaps the new firmware was not supposed to be available for the MP50, but was released by mistake?
I have the mp-50 with the new hdmihardware and the latest firmware and it works perfectly for me.
post #3076 of 3164 Old 01-01-2020, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_ View Post
I have the mp-50 with the new hdmihardware and the latest firmware and it works perfectly for me.
I just used the web interface to update my mp-50 to version 3.6.1 with no problems. As far as I can tell, all settings are kept. I somehow feel the new version provides instruments with more 'presence'. However, it still cannot be found by Roon as an endpoint yet.
post #3077 of 3164 Old 01-02-2020, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

It looks like it is not the firmware specifically as a bad update would likely result in a non bootable device. Your device is booting and the interface is present. It could be a network issue where it is somehow assigned to a different subnet thus resulting in a different IP range. Was the unit set to DHCP or a static IP prior to the update?

If the above is not resolved and a USB recovery mode (where you have the firmware only on a USB stick plugged in and flip the power switch in the back while holding the on button until you see the recovery message) is not attainable, then your only option would be to send the unit back to them to have it reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3078 of 3164 Old 01-02-2020, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
It looks like it is not the firmware specifically as a bad update would likely result in a non bootable device. Your device is booting and the interface is present. It could be a network issue where it is somehow assigned to a different subnet thus resulting in a different IP range. Was the unit set to DHCP or a static IP prior to the update?

If the above is not resolved and a USB recovery mode (where you have the firmware only on a USB stick plugged in and flip the power switch in the back while holding the on button until you see the recovery message) is not attainable, then your only option would be to send the unit back to them to have it reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am having the same issue. However, accessing the MP-50 thru my PC via the IP address works fine. That I assume would negate the subnet issue. I will try, later today, to delete the Ipad app and reload to see if anything changes.

John

post #3079 of 3164 Old 01-02-2020, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
I am having the same issue. However, accessing the MP-50 thru my PC via the IP address works fine. That I assume would negate the subnet issue. I will try, later today, to delete the Ipad app and reload to see if anything changes.
Deleting the old app and loading the new Lyngdorf Remote application works. However, the new app is more basic and does not give full control as the original.

John

post #3080 of 3164 Old 01-03-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I am running 3.6.1 on the MP-50. I haven't had an issue.

But, AFAICT there aren't any significant changes from 3.0.9 if you have the older HDMI hardware (me). If you have the eARC HDMI hardware you will want the new firmware.
Turns out there are some updates to RoomPerfect w/3.6.1.

The Amplifier Delay was a field that existed in the TDAI but was mysteriously missing from the MP-50. This was rectified in the MP-60 and how is for the MP-50. Prior to this field, one needed to determine additiona DSP delay, convert to distance and add to tape/laser measurement.

From the MP-60 manual:
Quote:
Amplifier Delay
In case you pass this speaker through an amplifier or subwoofer with internal processing, you need to compensate for this by entering the relevant delay in milli-seconds.

Note: A simple D/A conversion will normally take around 0.5 ms, whereas a subwoofer with internal DSP processing (Room Correction) could delay the signal by around 2 ms or more). The delay is the same, if the DSP filters are activated or not. We recommend that you do not activate room correction software in the subwoofer.

Also, when choosing Custom speaker size you can now specify the high-pass frequency with 1Hz granularity.
JFR0317 likes this.
post #3081 of 3164 Old 01-04-2020, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 736
SW3.6.1
- Installer Menu is redesigned for faster response and allow for future updates
- Speaker and Room submenus are now in correct order for setup procedure
- Speaker Setup page now show errors, if an unacceptable setup is entered
- LFE Cutoff setting is now detailed.
- Tone controls and levels on setup page
- Bugfix: RoomPerfect Channel Gains was not updated after adding a focus position
- Bugfix: Pseudo Center channel WITH LPCM input now processed through main speakers
- Various bugfixes on menu operation and decoding
Marc Alexander likes this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #3082 of 3164 Old 01-04-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Did you get your issue resolved?

This morning I woke up to my MP-50 showing RECOVERY MODE. I was able to turn it off and back on. This restored access. I am factory defaulting to be safe. I need to re-run RoomPerfect anyways as the unit is the den now and I'm trying a pair of BW-1s as front boundary woofers.

Under Manage software there is a Download system Log which contains relevant troubleshooting info for Lyngdorf service. Be sure to download this file whenever you experience abberant behavior. You can forward it to [email protected].
post #3083 of 3164 Old 01-04-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This morning I woke up to my MP-50 showing RECOVERY MODE. I was able to turn it off and back on. This restored access. I am factory defaulting to be safe. I need to re-run RoomPerfect anyways as the unit is the den now and I'm trying a pair of BW-1s as front boundary woofers.

Under Manage software there is a Download system Log which contains relevant troubleshooting info for Lyngdorf service. Be sure to download this file whenever you experience abberant behavior. You can forward it to [email protected].
Not good

Edit: Good news… I don't think the above error is indicative of any issue in particular. Rather, it indicates that the HTML5 web application can no longer access the unit. When I factory defaulted it returned the unit to Deep sleep rather than Network. I needed to simply power on and I had full access to the installer interface.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 01-04-2020 at 02:52 PM.
post #3084 of 3164 Old 01-04-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
SW3.6.1
- Installer Menu is redesigned for faster response and allow for future updates
- Speaker and Room submenus are now in correct order for setup procedure
- Speaker Setup page now show errors, if an unacceptable setup is entered
- LFE Cutoff setting is now detailed.
- Tone controls and levels on setup page
- Bugfix: RoomPerfect Channel Gains was not updated after adding a focus position
- Bugfix: Pseudo Center channel WITH LPCM input now processed through main speakers
- Various bugfixes on menu operation and decoding
Does this mean that if swapping to a new amp, you could run Adjust Sub, add a new focus position, and be good to go without re-running RP?
post #3085 of 3164 Old 01-05-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:

Yes I did a full recovery and rolled back the software to 3.0.9, the web-interface works again now. I'll try the new firmware again later. Thanks for the tips and follow up, I'll let you know what happens after the retry.
post #3086 of 3164 Old 01-05-2020, 08:56 AM

Still same problem after reinstalling the latest software, the web-interface won't load.
post #3087 of 3164 Old 01-05-2020, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
*** MP-50 Board Upgrade ***

Has anyone had their MP-50 Board upgraded via Lyngdorf's Upgrade program? If so, what specific benefits have you seen?

I have my UPS Return Label and contemplating when to do it.

My hopes are that it resolves decoding issues that I have with my Apple 4K TV/Oppo and Lyngdorf and I can finally take advantage of all the latest formats (like Dolby Vision).

System: Music & Cinema

Lyngdorf MP-50
McIntosh MC303
McIntosh MC452
McIntosh MC152
McIntosh MI254
B&W 803 D3
B&W HTM1 D3
B&W 804 D3 (Rears)
SVS Prime Elevation Speakers (Dolby Atmos) 4 speakers
Definitive Technology Outdoor Speakers
Pair of SVS SB16 Ultras
Oppo 203
Wadia 171i Transport
PS4 Pro
Sony A9G 77”
Apple 4K TV
post #3088 of 3164 Old 01-07-2020, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Issue with firmware upgrade and Dolby True HD. I just tried to watch first movie with Dolby True HD and noticed sound seemed off. I tested disk on another system and it sounded fine. I put in the AIX audio calibration disk and all formats (DTS,PCM, and Dolby Digital) mapped correctly. But for Dolby True HD the center and right channels were swapped, right surround mapped to the subwoofer, the subwoofer mapped to left surround, and left surround mapped to right surround. I tried a restore to the last save and it had no impact. I have reinstalled the 3.61 firmware upgrade and that has made no difference. Anyone else experiencing this with the new upgrade? Suggestions welcome.
post #3089 of 3164 Old 01-07-2020, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’ve had problems with multi-channel sound on my MP60 after the upgrade too. If the source is PCM, it just goes silent after a couple hours. If the source is DD, it starts emitting what sounds like a test tone. Rebooting and changing inputs will reset it, but only temporarily. The bug reasserts itself frequently after it starts, but goes back into hibernation after the unit has been off for several hours. But it comes back with a vengeance when multi-channel sound has been playing for a couple hours or so. Stereo signals don’t seem to trigger the issue.

I’m not impressed with their QA at this point, nor with the continued lack of the promised delivery of a Roon endpoint.

Last edited by diamar; 01-08-2020 at 10:29 AM.
post #3090 of 3164 Old 01-09-2020, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 736
I'm not annoyed yet, this is the first real issue I've had in 2+ years with the MP-50 (I considered the ULF rolloff more of a design problem than a bug). It's been as rock solid for me as a Yamaha/Denon/Marantz, which is pretty rare for a boutique brand.

Just downgrade to previous firmware until they figure it out. There's a copy of the firmware in every backup.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4

Last edited by duckymomo; 01-09-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page