Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1214Likes

post #31 of 2961 Old 04-04-2017, 10:34 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Fantastic looking product! Is the owner's manual available? Want to see how certain things work. Like does the Voicing Tool allow the filter frequencies to be changed? And can it output a 9.2.4 format? Stuff like that.
Spoke with Lyngdorf the answer is nope 7.4.4 only so a no go for me

The ANTHEM AV-M60 is fantastic and a third of the price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2961 Old 04-04-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandia View Post
Oz,
You make some excellent points and I will attempt to get dedicated time for a proper evaluation by notifying ahead of time and directly asking. I don't know if they have any rooms with Atmos or not, but 7.x should be fine enough. I will try to get them to use the room with the Sony 675 projector (which I own), but that is limited by its' 10.2 Gbps chip (although some claim it might have 18Gbps), but with 4k HDR.

Have both a dedicated Theater and a mixed (family room). I had evolved to multi-channel listening years ago, but when I listen in 2-channel and the soundstage is both deep and the sound wraps around me, I wonder why I did so. This happened frequently with Sonus Faber Amati Homage, and to a lesser extent the Revels (but it still does). This happened when my other amps did not power up and I thought I was listening to multi-channel, but was not! I do listen loud and often find myself walking to all the speakers to amaze myself. This also happens on some stereo SACDs, which only play back in 2-channel.

Anyway, upgrading HDMIs has always been an issue and just technology in general, so we don't let that bother us right? The big guys do it quickly, and that is the game they play on us as told to me as a youngster. I didn't want to believe him when all the card cage, future proof models came out, but began to when everyone I've owned was sold for the next future proof designs.

I had read that both LS-10 and MX-160 would need power supply upgrades to accommodate the HDMI upgrades. Thought the LS-10 would have occurred by now (QI 2017 was mentioned), but the MX-160 would be a couple of years (probably when a replacement occurs, which wasn't even in the works). As you say, hopefully 18 Gbps chips, but I am not sure of that either, and would want confirmation somehow.

When I get in serious listening modes, I want the LS-50/MX-160 class (being retired, no longer in the S-L/DataSat/Levinson amp arena, but I hang onto the ones' I still have), but in everyday living the Marantz works perfectly fine. I always emphasized speakers first and glad I bought those Revels in 2007 or 2008 for the Be tweeter and Ti midrange.
Normandia, yeah without a doubt, to purely compare the sound of the two units in multichannel mode, 7.1 will certainly suffice. If your were worried about passthrough to your Sony VW675, as a ex-Sony owner myself, I'd be more worried about it's chipset limitation (That claim isn't true unfortunately) than the stress of the MX-160's chipset matching limitations. You'd actually have had very little chance of any issues with your setup. There's a couple of brands of hardware not playing nice at the moment with the 160, but something that they'll get right in firmware shortly. I'd say you'd have even less chance of any issues with the MP-50 to point again it probably matters very little whilst you have the VW675.

Ok so you have two distinct listening environments. I had in a similar situation in my recently sold city adjacent condo. Living room TDAI-2170 with Burmester floor standers and a basement media room with the frighteningly (for what it was) SL system. I always have appreciated the sound of capable 2ch speakers for music. But in the same token I never questioned the place for multichannel systems for the full enjoyment of discrete encoded material. This was certain something that came to the fore back when I first started adding speakers around my living room floorstanders of the early 90's to do 5.1 in a fairly low key way. Prior and after that evolution I still have listened to all of the L&R speakers in various systems with view to how well they image on their own. The delineation I'd make for myself nowadays is that I'm far less likely to enjoy the 2ch capabilities in my HT as opposed to the previous 20+ years of mixed use listening environments so my listening attitude towards new home theater equipment tends to take that into account.

You hit the nail on the head re HDMI, you have a similarly pragmatic view towards it as I do. The beginning of some of the modular design stuff for me was the Meridian G series processors, which started to get some limited add-on capabilities. When their true modular design 8 series chassis came out, I wasn't ready to buy into them and frankly was glad I didn't at the time. As you say, they didn't in the end provide that 'future proof' scenario at all. The big guys indeed provided a path and respite for me to move update the feature ladder while waiting for the next capable high end unit to come along. I spent my fair time with pretty ordinary sounding Integra stuff back around 2010!

Regarding power supply upgrades, I can't speak for the LS-10 product, however that sounds quite unlikely to me that the MX-160 in its sizeable chassis have a less capable power supply than many of the other processors out there that feature 18GBPS chipsets. If anything with the progression of technology, we could quite well be looking at entirely new processors in two years time. I know if I look back, can barely go two years in the last 10 where I've held on to the same processor. The move from MX-150 to 8802 to MX-160 probably averaged out a 18 month each at the most from memory (the 8802 to MX-160 was just on a year).

When you say serious listening modes I assume you're talking about both 2ch and multi-channel. I agree for casual listening to pure 2ch, the Marantz on its own is quite capable. Things ramp up fast though when you start even casually comparing multichannel sound tracks -where the real fun begins so to speak I concur with you, no point in overdoing your system if your main speakers aren't up to scratch. I know of at least one McIntosh owner who I kind of scratch my head at in their speaker pairing (talking mid range smallish Klipsch type gear).
post #33 of 2961 Old 04-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 37
subscribed.

Currently using an AVM60 (which is remarkable at its pricepoint), but have been waiting on a prepro that is more geared to sound quality. Had a MX150 prior, and the AVM60 comes close, but still not the same as the mcintosh.
OzHDHT and ARROW-AV like this.

See Profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 08:29 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 3843 Post(s)
Liked: 6265
We're hoping to receive delivery of our shiny new Lyngdorf MP-50 within the week so we thought we'd join the party

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post
We saw the processor at ISE. Fantastic looking and it's going to sound great. Still awaiting confirmation on how it can be configured as missed the presentations. We will have our demo unit beginning of March.
Nice to bump into you on here Rich Don't be shy posting your findings on here and we'll do the same... What with already being incurably addicted to RoomPerfect room correction we have high hopes and expectations regarding the Lyngdorf MP-50, so let's hope it lives up to expectations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Spoke with Lyngdorf the answer is nope 7.4.4 only so a no go for me

The ANTHEM AV-M60 is fantastic and a third of the price
Just curious, are you wanting/needing the 9 channels for the width channels?
post #35 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
We're hoping to receive delivery of our shiny new Lyngdorf MP-50 within the week so we thought we'd join the party

Nice to bump into you on here Rich Don't be shy posting your findings on here and we'll do the same... What with already being incurably addicted to RoomPerfect room correction we have high hopes and expectations regarding the Lyngdorf MP-50, so let's hope it lives up to expectations!

Hello Sir.

We too are receiving our demonstration MP-50 at the end of this week as well as one for a client.

Looking forward to it and can't wait to get RoomPerfect up and running on our little MK Sound IW950 5.2.4 system powered by Lyngdorf SDA 2400 power amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #36 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 09:06 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
fyi link doesn't seem to go anywhere useful
Got one for sale too
post #37 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 09:09 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
..... expectations regarding the Lyngdorf MP-50, so let's hope it lives up to expectations!

Yes that is correct why pay three time the price of the Anthem when it can only do the same.

Anthem could have priced their AVM60 like their D3 and gotten away with it. Instead they came back to earth
post #38 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Can't it do width channels?

Can you do a 7.1.4 set up without back surrounds but WITH width channels?
post #39 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 10:36 AM
We're Nuts About AV

The Official Lyngdorf MP-50 AV Processor Owner's Thread

http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/electronics/mp-50

MP-50 Surround Sound Processor

The ultimate experience

Designed and developed in Denmark by Lyngdorf Audio, the high-end MP-50 surround sound processor delivers a surround sound experience that outmatches anything in and above its class.

Supporting up to a total of 16 audio channels, the Lyngdorf MP-50 delivers a very significant amount of the unrivalled performance of its 'big brother', namely the Steinway Lyngdorf P200.

Packed With Technology

When it comes to room correction technology, nothing comes close to the MP-50’s RoomPerfect™, the world’s most sophisticated technology for adapting the sound system to your room.

Other highlights from the MP-50´s exhaustive specifications list include a state-of-the-art HDMI stage with 4K pass-through and HDCP 2.2; support for Dolby® Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D®; 16 balanced XLR outputs for power amplifiers; a voicing tool to cater to personal preferences; fully digital signal processing; and an optional DCI-compliant digital AES/EBU input for integration with digital cinema servers.

RoomPerfect™ Room Correction

With RoomPerfect™, the MP-50 delivers a perfect surround sound experience equally well to living rooms, media rooms, and home theaters. Without the need for extensive acoustic treatment, you get a surround system with optimal frequency response, seamless level alignment, and bass management that perfectly integrates the speakers and subwoofers, plus more freedom when choosing speakers and their placement.

Read more about RoomPerfect™

Immersive Surround Sound

The MP-50 offers full support of Dolby® Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D®, as well as legacy surround sound formats. The processor features 16 balanced XLR outputs and can output 12 unique channels. The remaining 4 outputs can be used for additional speakers or woofers.

Media Player

The MP-50 features a built-in media player, which connects to services like Spotify and Airplay as well as internet radio. Through a cabled network or USB connector, you can access your library of music and enjoy it in stereo or as up-mixed to a surround sound format.

Stunning Good Looks

The chassis—a salute to modern industrial design—is executed in the signature black design of Lyngdorf Audio. Complemented with matte black aluminium and glass in a profile that complements its capabilities, the MP-50 radiates Danish design at its best.

Voicing Tool – To Cater to Your Personal Preferences

The MP-50’s built-in voicing tool will allow you to customize 32 voicings, thus changing the overall tonality of the system to your preferences and dedicating voicings to each input of the processor. You can also create a voicing to compensate for a particular recording.

Each voicing can consist of up to eight filters with adjustable gain and Q, all controlled through the browser interface, which shows the effect of each filter as well as the overall effect to tonality.

Dead Silent

Because of the extremely low background noise of the fully digital signal processing in the MP-50, you will experience . . . silence. You can enjoy everything from the faintest details to the loudest bangs with full dynamics and realism. But to enjoy the silent passages of music or cinema, your room also needs to be quiet. This is where the digital approach has another benefit; the MP-50 doesn´t generate much heat and therefore has only passive cooling with no need for noise-inducing fans.

Connections

A variety of in- and out-puts provide plenty of options to connect your audio and video sources, including eight HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs, four optical and three digital coaxial inputs, a USB input that supports audio up to 192kHz/32bit, and an AES/EBU input plus an XLR connector for the RoomPerfect™ calibration microphone. There’s also an HDBaseT™ output, a feature set that can converge uncompressed full HD digital video and audio through a 100m/300ft LAN cable.

Built To Last

The MP-50 is, like all Lyngdorf Audio electronics, built to the highest standards. Everything is simply best-in-class—from the meticulous design based on 20 years of knowhow in digital signal processing, to selection of components, mechanical design, manufacturing, and 48 hours of burn-in before the final QA. Each step ensures that you will not only have ultimate performance but also a product with the highest reliability in the industry.

Flexibility In Installation

Multiple control options will allow you to integrate the MP-50 with control systems, IR sensors, and triggers, whereas the IP-control or the infrared remote will offer a direct control of all features.

The remote web interface and ihiji offer total control and assurance of performance over time.

DCI-Compliant Digital AES/EBU Input

For movie aficionados, the MP-50 offers an optional upgrade with a DCI-compliant digital AES/EBU input for integration with digital cinema servers.

Technical Details

Here's the owners Manual: LYNGDORF MP-50 OWNER'S MANUAL

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 04-15-2017 at 02:13 AM.
post #40 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 10:39 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Hello Sir.

We too are receiving our demonstration MP-50 at the end of this week as well as one for a client.

Looking forward to it and can't wait to get RoomPerfect up and running on our little MK Sound IW950 5.2.4 system powered by Lyngdorf SDA 2400 power amps.
TWO Lyngdorf MP-50s?! Well now Mr. Magnus, that's just being greedy!!!

Great choice of speakers! And just love those Lyngdorf SDA 2400 power amps!

Don't be shy posting your findings

Maybe someone should start an owners thread? In fact, here we go: The Official Lyngdorf MP-50 AV Processor Owner's Thread

richmagnus likes this.
post #41 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes that is correct why pay three time the price of the Anthem when it can only do the same.

Anthem could have priced their AVM60 like their D3 and gotten away with it. Instead they came back to earth

We also supply Anthem.

An AVM60 is being replaced by the MP-50.

The AVM60 is a stunning processor and best out there below the £10K mark.

The MP-50 is a very noticeable step up in performance.

post #42 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 12:01 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicvinny View Post
Can't it do width channels?
Can you do a 7.1.4 set up without back surrounds but WITH width channels?
YES. You can.

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding whether or not the Lyngdorf MP-50 supports Width audio channels and also Middle Top audio channels, so hopefully this will clarify matters :

Quote:
why pay three time the price of the Anthem when it can only do the same.
We love the Anthem AVM-60 where in fact we have it on demo at our shiny new demonstration centre and highly recommend it to our customers, however to compare it with the Lyngdorf MP-50 is a kinda apples-with-oranges given they are different price ranges... But to answer your question, namely "why pay three time the price of the Anthem when it can only do the same" here’s why: Firstly in more ways than one the Anthem AVM-60 does not in fact “do the same” as the Lyngdorf MP-50 (so apologies for having to correct you regarding this ), in that there are many differences between the two processors, but as far as we are concerned the considerable upgrade from Anthem Room Correction (ARC) to RoomPerfect is worth the extra cost in itself, and that's before we even consider comparative audio performances.

Of course we won't know until after we have had opportunity to lay hands on and evaluate the finished production units, but we had opportunity to evaluate the final working beta prototype and it was certainly very impressive indeed. So, we fully expect that we will end up recommending BOTH the Anthem AVM-60 AND the Lyngdorf MP-50, because like I said there are both excellent processors, but are different price categories; where if you want a superb processor for less than $5000 we’d recommend the Anthem AVM-60 without hesitation. But if your budget will extend to $10,000 then we’d recommend the Lyngdorf MP-50, where we consider the extra cost to be more than worth it many times over.

With respect to the support of width audio channels specifically, it is our understanding that yet again the Lyngdorf MP-50 wins as compared with the Anthem AVM-60. Firstly, to clarify, as confirmed ^^^^ the Lyngdorf MP-50 most certainly does indeed fully support the width audio channels. It is merely that you are limited to a total of 12 discrete audio channels, plus total 4 matrixed audio channels, grand total 16 audio channels. These can be configured however you wish. So whilst you can't do 9.4.4 what you can do is 9.3.4 or 9.2.4; or alternatively you can do 7.4.4 with width channels instead of back surrounds.

Secondly, the way in which the Lyngdorf MP-50 supports the width audio channels is in itself also significantly superior manner as compared with the Anthem AVM-60. And here's why. Currently there exists a pathetically minor support with respect to the width audio channels both natively with respect to consumer content and also regarding the Dolby [Atmos] Surround Upmixer, which does not in fact support the width channels in any regard whatsoever. In other words, DSU will NOT create any audio information with respect to the width audio channels when fed a lesser audio signal, such as 5.1 or 7.1 audio.

Consequently, without custom-remapping audio to the width audio channels, which the Arcam AVM-60 does not do, the only way the width audio channels will be made use of and hence actually output any audio is with respect to consumer content where the native audio track includes information for the width audio channels. But unfortunately instances where this transpires and to a great degree are not very common.

However, it is our understanding that the latest iterations on both the Steinway Lyngdorf P200 and the new Lyngdorf MP-50 will in fact accordingly automatically create audio information for the width channels when you select the width channels as part of your speaker configuration, unlike the vast majority of other processors and receivers. Also, the manner in which this is done is the better way of going about things, in that the new audio information is created via matrixing. This results in superior audio performance as compared with if this is done otherwise.

So, you can opt for the Anthem AVM-60, but by doing so please bear in mind that you may have an extra pair of speakers connected to the width channels, but most of the time they are going to be silent. Whereas, with a Lyngdorf MP-50 and a 9.3.4, 9.2.4, or 7.4.4 configuration that includes widths, your width speakers will always be playing sound, with all relevant audio signals.

Our source with respect to this information is Thomas Birkelund, Steinway Lyngdorf CEO, with whom I have personally discussed this very subject of width audio channels support on more than one occasion, including recently in person face-to-face at ISE where he confirmed this is indeed the case. In short, in light of the sorry situation that it is the default (lack of) support with respect to the width audio channels both natively and via DSU I had requested of Steinway Lyngdorf that they add said remapping of audio to the width channels, and they listened and added it. And it is our understanding that this is applicable regarding the MP-50 as well. However, I am going to contact Thomas again to obtain absolutely definitive confirmation that this does indeed also apply to the Lyngdorf MP-50. I am 95% certain but I want to make absolutely sure for you guys. So, I will report back here just as soon as I receive said absolutely definitive confirmation.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 04-12-2017 at 09:19 AM.
post #43 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Hello Sir.

Looking forward to it...

Couldn't set up the processor comparisons as the MP-50 demo unit was pulled back! Estimated delay is a few months out...no reason given.
post #44 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

"Official" (Brand New) Lyngdorf MP-50, 16 Channel Preamp Processor.

There are 5 x MP-50's being shipped to the UK. Myself and Arrow AV have had 2 on pre order since the beginning of the year and have both fed recommendations to Lyngdorf and helped Beta test the MP-50.

I don't know of any delays although it isn't a mass produced unit.

Last edited by richmagnus; 04-10-2017 at 12:31 PM.
post #45 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1817 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
So you can do 7.4.4 with width channels instead of back surrounds.

In this case is there EQ for each of the 4 sub channels?

Noah
post #46 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
In this case is there EQ for each of the 4 sub channels?

Yes there is.

ARROW-AV likes this.
post #47 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
I just got word that I am getting my 1st small batch of 4 units in a week or less. The next batch is JUNE (which is sold out). July production is being booked up as we speak. Knowing how good my Lyngdorf stereo processor sounds, I am going to go out on a limb and order some more. In a perfect world, I would have more control on my stereo piece which the prepro has. I use a theater bypass loop with an 8802A (because stereo sounds better with the Lyngdorf). To my HOPE is to replace a stereo http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/electronics/tdai-2170 and the 8802A and get the best of bost worlds. Time will tell.... To date, I have not heard the MP-50. I was planning on going out to LA to borrow the National Sales Managers demo and do a shootout. But he has been so busy flying around specifically related to the MP-50 and I have been swamped too.

But soon, I'll have a toy in house ready to to compare and contrast.
OzHDHT, richmagnus and ARROW-AV like this.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video
post #48 of 2961 Old 04-10-2017, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 291
If you set it up for Auro - and want the voice of god.. What setup is the max possible with it then?

Codename - the Larch theater
post #49 of 2961 Old 04-11-2017, 03:03 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I just got word that I am getting my 1st small batch of 4 units in a week or less. The next batch is JUNE (which is sold out). July production is being booked up as we speak. Knowing how good my Lyngdorf stereo processor sounds, I am going to go out on a limb and order some more. In a perfect world, I would have more control on my stereo piece which the prepro has. I use a theater bypass loop with an 8802A (because stereo sounds better with the Lyngdorf). To my HOPE is to replace a stereo http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/electronics/tdai-2170 and the 8802A and get the best of bost worlds. Time will tell.... To date, I have not heard the MP-50. I was planning on going out to LA to borrow the National Sales Managers demo and do a shootout. But he has been so busy flying around specifically related to the MP-50 and I have been swamped too.

We have a feeling that you are going to like it... You will be getting a more than a decent amount of the performance of its 'big brother' the Steinway Lyngdorf P200 where everyone will be benefiting from quite a lot of features and technology trickle-down from that particular processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
If you set it up for Auro - and want the voice of god.. What setup is the max possible with it then?
VOG will use 1 audio channel, so you have another 10 audio channels (plus subwoofers) that you can allocate however you so wish, in whatever configuration you like. In other words, there are no limitations with respect to speaker configurations other than the fact you are limited to a total of 11 discrete audio channels plus subwoofers.

Incidentally, the Steinway Lyngdorf P200 will do almost double this, namely 20 discrete audio channels plus subwoofers, but in our opinion (**ducks for cover**) you are almost certainly never going to need or want to use all of these. Although it should be noted that you can't using the Steinway P200 with other or existing 'Non-Steinway' equipment, in that it is part of a complete audio system, where it's 'all or nothing'
OzHDHT, Nightlord and richmagnus like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 04-28-2017 at 08:54 AM.
post #50 of 2961 Old 04-11-2017, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

Hi Steve,

We have run a TDAI with a Marantz as you are. The MP-50 is as good for 2 channel if not better as you can use the PEQ voicing on top of RoomPerfect.

All 5 UK units are sold.

ARROW-AV likes this.
post #51 of 2961 Old 04-11-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

VOG will use 1 audio channel, so you have another 10 audio channels (plus subwoofers) that you can allocate however you so wish, in whatever configuration you like. In other words, there are no limitations with respect to speaker configurations other than the fact you are limited to a total of 11 discrete audio channels plus subwoofers.
So, two layers of L,C,R,Sl,Sr + VoG? (Sub channels are of no importance to me, they are always the low end of L&R in my setup)

That's quite ok. I would have liked to be able to switch to surround backs for non-auro formats, but I think perhaps running AuroMatic on those would negate that 'need'.

Codename - the Larch theater
post #52 of 2961 Old 04-11-2017, 06:55 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
.......With respect to the support of width audio channels specifically, it is our understanding that yet again the Lyngdorf MP-50 wins as compared with the Anthem AVM-60. Firstly, to clarify, as confirmed ^^^^ the Lyngdorf MP-50 most certainly does indeed fully support the width audio channels. It is merely that you are limited to a total of 11 audio channels plus the subwoofers. So you can do 7.4.4 with width channels instead of back surrounds.

You just can't do both widths channels and back surrounds, namely 9.4.4.
I would hope that at three times the price it sounds better the question is how much better I don't think three times better any way enjoy.

If it had been able to do 9.4.4 then i would definitely stretch the green.

Let's see what Classe does? Ever compared RoomPerfect with DIRAC?
post #53 of 2961 Old 04-11-2017, 06:59 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

The problem I see with this thread is there are way too many dealers pushing the product vs real owners. Pushing the hype and all, in addition an selling a MP50 at $10,000 when the margin are 60 points + talk about making some serious money!
post #54 of 2961 Old 04-11-2017, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
We also supply Anthem.

An AVM60 is being replaced by the MP-50.

The AVM60 is a stunning processor and best out there below the £10K mark.

The MP-50 is a very noticeable step up in performance.

I agree with Rich's sentiment here. Having heard and owned more than a few processors, making that statement about the Anthem processor vs the Lyngdorf unit without evaluation is pretty pointless. I can say right now that I'd take Room Perfect over ARC2 any day of the week for starters.
richmagnus and ARROW-AV like this.
post #55 of 2961 Old 04-11-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Does Room Perfect do correction in the time domain as well? For a $10k processor that only does 11 channels + subs, I would hope it does.

At that price, just add a couple DDRC-88A with Dirac Live and compare them that way, plus save $5k.

Last edited by duckymomo; 04-11-2017 at 08:26 PM.
post #56 of 2961 Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
Does Room Perfect do correction in the time domain as well? For a $10k processor that only does 11 channels + subs, I would hope it does.
As far I know it does. For all the RC systems I've heard to date, in every unit I've heard it in, 4 now, it's excelled. Sounds a lot better than the known problematic implementation of Dirac Live in the Arcam AVR series or PC iteration of DL I've experimented with in the past -can't speak for Datasat or Trinnov's implementations as I don't have local supplier.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #57 of 2961 Old 04-11-2017, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
As far I know it does. For all the RC systems I've heard to date, in every unit I've heard it in, 4 now, it's excelled. Sounds a lot better than the known problematic implementation of Dirac Live in the Arcam AVR series or PC iteration of DL I've experimented with in the past -can't speak for Datasat or Trinnov's implementations as I don't have local supplier.
It's creeping near the lower-end Datasat and Trinnov units, so that would be an interesting comparison.
post #58 of 2961 Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
It's creeping near the lower-end Datasat and Trinnov units, so that would be an interesting comparison.
Agreed. Perhaps @joerod will do a comparo with his Datasat.
joerod and ARROW-AV like this.
post #59 of 2961 Old 04-11-2017, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

"Official" (Brand New) Lyngdorf MP-50, 16 Channel Preamp Processor.

Quote:
The problem I see with this thread is there are way too many dealers pushing the product vs real owners. Pushing the hype and all, in addition an selling a MP50 at $10,000 when the margin are 60 points + talk about making some serious money!

There are no real owners as yet unfortunately.

My client will be the first "real" owner in the U.K.

I will also be a real owner of sorts as I will be running the MP-50 in my personal system. I could run any processor I wanted, but I have settled on the MP-50 for its stunning performance.

I also supply Trinnov, Acurus as well as Anthem and Arcam. I have no real need to say this is the best processor available in order to sell as many as I can.

60 points? Definitely not sir!!

Once owner feedback starts appearing then we will get a more balanced take on the MP-50. The two U.K dealers on here, which includes myself, hand pick only the best products available.

We are not going to sell any to you guys in the U.S so not looking for business.

We are only here to let you all know that we consider this as a stunning product.

Last edited by richmagnus; 04-12-2017 at 08:31 AM.
post #60 of 2961 Old 04-12-2017, 03:11 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
You make a very good point. However, as far as we are concerned we are in fact slightly unusual in that we are not beholden to any particular brands and as such we have absolutely no bias or partiality. We have and continue to recommend and sell whatever we consider at the time offers the best performance at the given price range for every single type and subset of AV equipment. Whilst we can't speak for everyone else, we can vouch for the fact that Rich Magnus of Seriously Cinema also falls into this category too.

Quote:
I would hope that at three times the price it sounds better the question is how much better I don't think three times better any way enjoy. If it had been able to do 9.4.4 then i would definitely stretch the green. Let's see what Classe does?
I think we all know not to expect increases in performance to be directly proportional with respect the difference in cost, in that typically there is always diminishing returns. But with respect to quantifying the extent that the Lyngdorf MP-50 performs better or worse as compared with other AV processors the jury is clearly still out regarding this, given it's a brand new product (even if it does share some similarity to the Steinway P200 and McIntosh MX160). And for the attention of your good self plus anyone else who is (very understandably what with this being a new product) sitting on the fence and pondering whether or not to buy one of these, we would recommend that you stay sitting on the fence and simply wait for the feedback from the various consumers who decide to buy one of these. We personally see no need to 'hard sell' this product by posting nothing-but-positive type posts on here. Firstly, we would never do that anyway, because we have worked hard to develop a reputation for always being straight and honest about all AV equipment, and as mentioned we have no brand loyalty and hence no bias. And secondly, because we are of the view that a product should sell itself based upon its own merit. And for this reason our preferred method of selling is to demonstrate and let the consumer make up their own mind as to whether they like it. So, we would say YES, most definitely you should "see what Classe does" and post your opinion/feedback on here, as we'd be very interested to read it. In fact we would highly recommend that you check any and all other makes and models of AV processor that you personally believe are potentially comparable. Where we have no doubt that many folks who do this kind of due diligence exercise will like the Lyngdorf MP-50 best and consider that it offers the best performance at the given price. Not everyone will and also personal preference will as usual play a key role. But me personally I would not rule out the Lyngdorf MP-50 solely on the basis that it won't do 9.4.4, as compared with 7.4.4 which it will do, especially given the woefully abysmally lack of support with respect to the width channels by both native audio content and the various upmixers, including the Dolby [Atmos] Surround Upmixer

Quote:
Ever compared RoomPerfect with DIRAC?
YES. We have.

Our opinion is this... DIRAC is very, very good indeed. In fact, when used properly it is nothing short of excellent.

RoomPerfect is also excellent. But one massive advantage that it has over DIRAC is that it is much more user-friendly and accessable by the layperson. It is so easy to use that the customer can do it themselves. Whereas, with DIRAC there is more skill involved and a greater learning curve in order to get it to perform to its best potential.

We've evaluated every single Room Correction technology that we can think of and quite honestly, all things considered, including everything from overall performance to ease-of-use / user-friendliness, RoomPerfect not only lives up to its name but in our opinion it's quite simply the best in the world as of right now.

This is not to say that other room correction applications, including DIRAC and others, are all rubbish. There are others that are absolutely superb, and DIRAC is one of these; however, overall in our opinion and as far as our own personal preferences are concerned our first choice, as of right now, is RoomPerfect
richmagnus likes this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 04-16-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page