Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1263Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1651 of 3062 Old 11-19-2017, 04:33 AM
Member
 
acidjazz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Why do you say that when your experience was also not satisfactory?

Also, not sure what you mean by "reso. a 2.0"; in any case my system is 7.2.4, and would be 9.2.4 with the MP-50.
Hi Noah, that's exactly the point. You are looking for as much channels as possible with the focus on HT. I'm looking for max. 5.2 channels with the focus on audiophile stereo performance.

Gesendet von meinem DUK-L09 mit Tapatalk
ARROW-AV likes this.
acidjazz1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1652 of 3062 Old 11-19-2017, 05:27 AM
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,524
Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4139 Post(s)
Liked: 6700
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidjazz1 View Post
Hi Arrow-AV, thanks for the nice invitation, I'll check with my friend if he is willing to accompany me for a WE in London, since this is quite a effort, to travel from Switzerland for listening High-End Systems😎
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidjazz1 View Post
Hi Noah, that's exactly the point. You are looking for as much channels as possible with the focus on HT. I'm looking for max. 5.2 channels with the focus on audiophile stereo performance.
Invitation repeated.

Both the audio systems here deliver phenomenal audiophile stereo music performance.

The 13.4.11 audio system is configured such that it can easily be set to output 5.2 channels, precisely according to your particular preference; plus I'd love to demonstrate how the wides can be added into the mix to expand upon the front stereo soundstage spectacularly.

You can fly out in the morning and back again in the early evening and you'll be chauffeured from and to the airport.

We won't be selling you anything so this will be solely for your own interest and you would purchase from your existing dealer. So I'm not attempting to steal their business Just wanted to make that point clear.

Attaining the ultimate in music reproduction and playback is an obsession of mine. So I consider it a crime if you don't experience the full potential of what this audio equipment is capable of. "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" is a British expression that means the real value of something can be judged only from practical experience, so don't simply take my word for it, let me show you. My only motivation here is that I'd really like to help out a like-minded stereo music fan/enthusiast.

Alternatively, if you can't make the trip, then by all means send a friend whose opinion you trust. They will receive the same Red Carpet treatment on your behalf.

No pressure and we're not going anywhere, so whenever suits.

acidjazz1 likes this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 11-19-2017 at 05:31 AM.
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #1653 of 3062 Old 11-19-2017, 05:55 AM
Member
 
arisholm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidjazz1 View Post
Hi Arrow-AV, thanks for the nice invitation, I'll check with my friend if he is willing to accompany me for a WE in London, since this is quite a effort, to travel from Switzerland for listening High-End Systems😎 On the other hand, I could invite the local disti, to check if everything is setup ok, you never know. For three times the price with the actual technology, it should take you the shoes off😉 on the other hand I also had to learn to not underestimate the Rotel, its quite a material war inside the device with three lps for analogue and two seperate shielded for the digital path and so on.😎

Gesendet von meinem DUK-L09 mit Tapatalk
I also tried the MP-50 for one month. And unlike you I decided to keep it. I am particularly happy with the bass management with 4 subs. That makes a big difference for both music (2.2) and movie (7.4). I have a pair of reasonably high-end front speakers and my primary concern has always been two-ch music SQ.

I have compared the MP-50 to different solutions and found the SQ to be as good as, or better than, many other dedicated stereo solutions that I have. That includes:

1) analog 2ch balanced XLR-output from my Oppo BD105D into a Parasound Halo P7 into my Adam Audio front speakers and 2x SVS PB16 subs (sub crossover in that case was done in the P7). I find that the Oppo, with its ESS Sabre 9018 DACs, has a slightly harsh "glare" that is not present in the MP-50.

2) I have also compared the MP-50 with my expensive but old EC EMC1UP CD-player (also connected through the P7), which by many is considered to be among the best players ever made (I think mainly due to the outstanding balanced output circuitry). The EC-player presents a huge sound stage that is hard to beat on 16bit/44.1kHz sources. But I find that the MP-50 is pretty close in that regard, and more refined in the treble.

3) Also I have compared with the NAD C510 DAC (same HW as the Stereophile Class A+ rated M51 DAC) into the P7. I find that the NAD has an edge over the MP-50 for 2-ch music, in terms of resolution and dynamics. But that is before RP correction, which significantly improves the bass integration and the mid-bass (100-300Hz) of my system to a level much better than what I can achieve with the NAD + Parasound combo. So a slight compromise either way...

4) Before I got the MP-50 I used the 7.1 analog outputs from the Oppo fed into a MiniDSP DDRC88BM with Dirac Live. That sounds "very good" (and again much better than the old Denon pre-pro I have, now collecting dust). But the MP-50 is clearly a LOT better on both music and movies, with less noise and better dynamics, and also more convenient with all the voicing and post-processing options.

5) Before I got the MP-50 I also considered a Mytek Manhattan II as an alternative, as part of a dedicated stereo config, especially because of the MQA support, fancy analogue volume control, etc. But after I heard the result of the MP-50 (with MQA recordings decoded/unfolded by a BlueSound Node 2) I decided that I did not need any better SQ on music sources and can live happily for a long time with the excellent sound quality delivered by the MP-50. One example worth listening to is the MQA recording by Ola Gjeilo "PIANO IMPROVISATIONS" (available in Tidal Masters), in my case unfolded by the Node 2 and delivered as 96kHz/24bit over coax to the MP-50. It is like having the whole grand piano in my listening room. Nothing missing there, as far as I can tell! :-)

Please note that none of this is proper A/B testing or anything like that, but the differences are not that subtle IMO. Still, just my subjective experience and opinion based on different and unsystematic listening sessions and one should of course not attempt to generalise anything from this. And clearly, differences due to the room interaction is much more significant than any of the above differences due to switching source components, IMO.

But in my room, with my setup and with my SQ preferences, I think the MP-50 is well worth it. A keeper ;-)

cheers,
Erik

Movie: MP-50 7.4.4, Adam Audio S5X-V, Tensor Center, SVS 2xPB16 2xPC13, Isovolt 3k, microRendu+ultracap
Stereo: dCS Bartok, ASR Emitter II Excl, Paradigm Persona 9H, Adyton Isovolt 6k, Roon
arisholm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1654 of 3062 Old 11-19-2017, 07:32 AM
Member
 
acidjazz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by arisholm View Post
I also tried the MP-50 for one month. And unlike you I decided to keep it. I am particularly happy with the bass management with 4 subs. That makes a big difference for both music (2.2) and movie (7.4). I have a pair of reasonably high-end front speakers and my primary concern has always been two-ch music SQ.

I have compared the MP-50 to different solutions and found the SQ to be as good as, or better than, many other dedicated stereo solutions that I have. That includes:

1) analog 2ch balanced XLR-output from my Oppo BD105D into a Parasound Halo P7 into my Adam Audio front speakers and 2x SVS PB16 subs (sub crossover in that case was done in the P7). I find that the Oppo, with its ESS Sabre 9018 DACs, has a slightly harsh "glare" that is not present in the MP-50.

2) I have also compared the MP-50 with my expensive but old EC EMC1UP CD-player (also connected through the P7), which by many is considered to be among the best players ever made (I think mainly due to the outstanding balanced output circuitry). The EC-player presents a huge sound stage that is hard to beat on 16bit/44.1kHz sources. But I find that the MP-50 is pretty close in that regard, and more refined in the treble.

3) Also I have compared with the NAD C510 DAC (same HW as the Stereophile Class A+ rated M51 DAC) into the P7. I find that the NAD has an edge over the MP-50 for 2-ch music, in terms of resolution and dynamics. But that is before RP correction, which significantly improves the bass integration and the mid-bass (100-300Hz) of my system to a level much better than what I can achieve with the NAD + Parasound combo. So a slight compromise either way...

4) Before I got the MP-50 I used the 7.1 analog outputs from the Oppo fed into a MiniDSP DDRC88BM with Dirac Live. That sounds "very good" (and again much better than the old Denon pre-pro I have, now collecting dust). But the MP-50 is clearly a LOT better on both music and movies, with less noise and better dynamics, and also more convenient with all the voicing and post-processing options.

5) Before I got the MP-50 I also considered a Mytek Manhattan II as an alternative, as part of a dedicated stereo config, especially because of the MQA support, fancy analogue volume control, etc. But after I heard the result of the MP-50 (with MQA recordings decoded/unfolded by a BlueSound Node 2) I decided that I did not need any better SQ on music sources and can live happily for a long time with the excellent sound quality delivered by the MP-50. One example worth listening to is the MQA recording by Ola Gjeilo "PIANO IMPROVISATIONS" (available in Tidal Masters), in my case unfolded by the Node 2 and delivered as 96kHz/24bit over coax to the MP-50. It is like having the whole grand piano in my listening room. Nothing missing there, as far as I can tell! :-)

Please note that none of this is proper A/B testing or anything like that, but the differences are not that subtle IMO. Still, just my subjective experience and opinion based on different and unsystematic listening sessions and one should of course not attempt to generalise anything from this. And clearly, differences due to the room interaction is much more significant than any of the above differences due to switching source components, IMO.

But in my room, with my setup and with my SQ preferences, I think the MP-50 is well worth it. A keeper ;-)

cheers,
Erik
Hi Erik,
Thanks for you're review, it is a interesting reading. I find it great, that you have this sign. improvements with the MP-50 and fun with it👍 As you rightfully mentioned at the end, it's the best solution for your setup and room.
My experience for audio chains is, that every Change and combination has a impact on the sound. It's just a question what components to combine to find the sound which each individium likes best. A friend of mine has a Linn Shop and he brought me the topline electronics to listen at the older Sonus Faber Monitors I had, it sounded worse than a entry level Naim Device. Now you could blame Sonus Faber for building Speakers which are not "neutral" or try other combination until you have the sound you like. This has nothing to do with good or bad, oricing, technology specs etc. It's just like it is😉😎

Gesendet von meinem DUK-L09 mit Tapatalk
arisholm likes this.
acidjazz1 is offline  
post #1655 of 3062 Old 11-19-2017, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,349
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidjazz1 View Post
Hi Erik,
Thanks for you're review, it is a interesting reading. I find it great, that you have this sign. improvements with the MP-50 and fun with it👍 As you rightfully mentioned at the end, it's the best solution for your setup and room.
My experience for audio chains is, that every Change and combination has a impact on the sound. It's just a question what components to combine to find the sound which each individium likes best. A friend of mine has a Linn Shop and he brought me the topline electronics to listen at the older Sonus Faber Monitors I had, it sounded worse than a entry level Naim Device. Now you could blame Sonus Faber for building Speakers which are not "neutral" or try other combination until you have the sound you like. This has nothing to do with good or bad, oricing, technology specs etc. It's just like it is😉😎

Gesendet von meinem DUK-L09 mit Tapatalk
Previously in the thread, it was mentioned that the "loudness management" function is defaulted to ON. Is it too late to check that setting?

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
duckymomo is offline  
post #1656 of 3062 Old 11-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Member
 
acidjazz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
Previously in the thread, it was mentioned that the "loudness management" function is defaulted to ON. Is it too late to check that setting?
the loudnessmanagement was off

Gesendet von meinem DUK-L09 mit Tapatalk
acidjazz1 is offline  
post #1657 of 3062 Old 11-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
richmagnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St Albans , England
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
One of the reasons I'm considering the MP-50 is that supposedly an end user can do a good calibration w/o professional assistance.



This experience says otherwise; did you learn anything useful from it that you can pass on?


Anyone can run RoomPerfect. It’s so simple. An MP-50 can be set up by any enthusiast with the manual to hand.

Measure the entire room and get Room Knowledge to at least 98%




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
richmagnus is offline  
post #1658 of 3062 Old 11-19-2017, 01:39 PM
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,524
Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4139 Post(s)
Liked: 6700
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post
Anyone can run RoomPerfect. It’s so simple. An MP-50 can be set up by any enthusiast with the manual to hand.

Measure the entire room and get Room Knowledge to at least 98%
Sssshhhh, don't tell everyone that Rich, they'll think we're not needed and they can do it themselves... Oh, wait... They can!

richmagnus likes this.
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #1659 of 3062 Old 11-19-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 23,136
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post
Anyone can run RoomPerfect. It’s so simple. An MP-50 can be set up by any enthusiast with the manual to hand.

Measure the entire room and get Room Knowledge to at least 98%

Well I hope so, but my reading of what you said below is that the fellow did not succeed and you had to bail him out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post
We recently had a client borrow a Lyngdorf TDAI 2170. He’s feed back was that his system sounded better with RoomPerfect off and the subwoofer wouldn’t blend with the L&R. After a visit by ourselves he is over the moon with the TDAI.

Noah
noah katz is offline  
post #1660 of 3062 Old 11-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 628
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by arisholm View Post
I also tried the MP-50 for one month. And unlike you I decided to keep it. I am particularly happy with the bass management with 4 subs. That makes a big difference for both music (2.2) and movie (7.4). I have a pair of reasonably high-end front speakers and my primary concern has always been two-ch music SQ.

I have compared the MP-50 to different solutions and found the SQ to be as good as, or better than, many other dedicated stereo solutions that I have. That includes:

1) analog 2ch balanced XLR-output from my Oppo BD105D into a Parasound Halo P7 into my Adam Audio front speakers and 2x SVS PB16 subs (sub crossover in that case was done in the P7). I find that the Oppo, with its ESS Sabre 9018 DACs, has a slightly harsh "glare" that is not present in the MP-50.

2) I have also compared the MP-50 with my expensive but old EC EMC1UP CD-player (also connected through the P7), which by many is considered to be among the best players ever made (I think mainly due to the outstanding balanced output circuitry). The EC-player presents a huge sound stage that is hard to beat on 16bit/44.1kHz sources. But I find that the MP-50 is pretty close in that regard, and more refined in the treble.

3) Also I have compared with the NAD C510 DAC (same HW as the Stereophile Class A+ rated M51 DAC) into the P7. I find that the NAD has an edge over the MP-50 for 2-ch music, in terms of resolution and dynamics. But that is before RP correction, which significantly improves the bass integration and the mid-bass (100-300Hz) of my system to a level much better than what I can achieve with the NAD + Parasound combo. So a slight compromise either way...

4) Before I got the MP-50 I used the 7.1 analog outputs from the Oppo fed into a MiniDSP DDRC88BM with Dirac Live. That sounds "very good" (and again much better than the old Denon pre-pro I have, now collecting dust). But the MP-50 is clearly a LOT better on both music and movies, with less noise and better dynamics, and also more convenient with all the voicing and post-processing options.

5) Before I got the MP-50 I also considered a Mytek Manhattan II as an alternative, as part of a dedicated stereo config, especially because of the MQA support, fancy analogue volume control, etc. But after I heard the result of the MP-50 (with MQA recordings decoded/unfolded by a BlueSound Node 2) I decided that I did not need any better SQ on music sources and can live happily for a long time with the excellent sound quality delivered by the MP-50. One example worth listening to is the MQA recording by Ola Gjeilo "PIANO IMPROVISATIONS" (available in Tidal Masters), in my case unfolded by the Node 2 and delivered as 96kHz/24bit over coax to the MP-50. It is like having the whole grand piano in my listening room. Nothing missing there, as far as I can tell! :-)

Please note that none of this is proper A/B testing or anything like that, but the differences are not that subtle IMO. Still, just my subjective experience and opinion based on different and unsystematic listening sessions and one should of course not attempt to generalise anything from this. And clearly, differences due to the room interaction is much more significant than any of the above differences due to switching source components, IMO.

But in my room, with my setup and with my SQ preferences, I think the MP-50 is well worth it. A keeper ;-)

cheers,
Erik
Erik,

What Post Processing mode(s) / Voicing(s) are you using for music.
daimler2015 is offline  
post #1661 of 3062 Old 11-20-2017, 02:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
richmagnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St Albans , England
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Well I hope so, but my reading of what you said below is that the fellow did not succeed and you had to bail him out.


Yes we did have to bail him out as he hadn’t followed the basics. Also his older JL subs inbuilt EQ was adding far too much delay to the bass. Once this was disabled it sounded fantastic.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
richmagnus is offline  
post #1662 of 3062 Old 11-20-2017, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
madhuski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,767
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 889
How does RP handle subs? Will it eq two subs independently?
madhuski is offline  
post #1663 of 3062 Old 11-20-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 23,136
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Ah OK, thanks, Rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post
Yes we did have to bail him out as he hadn’t followed the basics. Also his older JL subs inbuilt EQ was adding far too much delay to the bass. Once this was disabled it sounded fantastic.

Noah
noah katz is offline  
post #1664 of 3062 Old 11-20-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,349
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 731
There's been a lot of general discussion about the great job RP does integrating subs + sats. I hadn't found any detailed info about how it does this until I read the white paper again.

"If the subwoofer has a higher output at the crossover point than the main speaker, then the combined response from the main speaker and woofer will be very uneven. With RoomPerfect™ engaged, the frequency response is corrected—thus the integration of the speakers and woofers is seamless."

So I guess it's confirmed to be the only Room EQ other then ARCOS/Synthesis to sweep and create a filter for the combined response of subs + sats?

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
duckymomo is offline  
post #1665 of 3062 Old 11-20-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,361
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
There's been a lot of general discussion about the great job RP does integrating subs + sats. I hadn't found any detailed info about how it does this until I read the white paper again.

"If the subwoofer has a higher output at the crossover point than the main speaker, then the combined response from the main speaker and woofer will be very uneven. With RoomPerfect™ engaged, the frequency response is corrected—thus the integration of the speakers and woofers is seamless."

So I guess it's confirmed to be the only Room EQ other then ARCOS/Synthesis to sweep and create a filter for the combined response of subs + sats?

It would seem that a simple way to see what you get from RP would be to run speaker/sub plots in REW or OmniMic and examine the frequency response after Room EQ is engaged. Try a 15-300 Hz plot with 105-55 db Y axis, and no smoothing, for L+sub, R+Sub, and C+Sub. I don't use RP but that's how I'd approach it.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
sdrucker is offline  
post #1666 of 3062 Old 11-20-2017, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
akopperl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the MP-50 support the following:
  1. DirecTV 4K content via C61K Genie client
  2. Apple TV 4K content with HDR and Dolby Vision
  3. Xbox One X 4K content with HDR
akopperl is offline  
post #1667 of 3062 Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,349
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
It would seem that a simple way to see what you get from RP would be to run speaker/sub plots in REW or OmniMic and examine the frequency response after Room EQ is engaged. Try a 15-300 Hz plot with 105-55 db Y axis, and no smoothing, for L+sub, R+Sub, and C+Sub. I don't use RP but that's how I'd approach it.
Unfortunately, I don't have one and haven't found a way to do an in-home demo.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
duckymomo is offline  
post #1668 of 3062 Old 11-21-2017, 12:37 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander
 
RUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Beershorn
Posts: 3,119
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
....."If the subwoofer has a higher output at the crossover point than the main speaker, then the combined response from the main speaker and woofer will be very uneven. With RoomPerfect™ engaged, the frequency response is corrected—thus the integration of the speakers and woofers is seamless."

So I guess it's confirmed to be the only Room EQ other then ARCOS/Synthesis to sweep and create a filter for the combined response of subs + sats?
Ducky, it's not clear to me that the quote from Lyngdorf explicitly claims that RP runs a second calibration to measure mains+subs as a means to correct the subwoofer splice, à la ARCOS. Could be a simple calculation within RP that matches main corrected response to sub(s) ditto, just like everyone else except ARCOS. IME not all are created equal, however, e.g. I always have to futz with sub delay in Audyssey to get a smooth crossover, but I've never had to do so with Trinnov.

Perhaps a handy RP owner can confirm or deny a second, combined calibration run?
sdrucker and duckymomo like this.
RUR is offline  
post #1669 of 3062 Old 11-24-2017, 09:10 AM
Member
 
arisholm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimler2015 View Post
Erik,

What Post Processing mode(s) / Voicing(s) are you using for music.
post-processing:
either None or Auro 2d/3d for postprocessing. I think the other options sound really strange, at least for music, including all the options with "X" in them.. maybe it is just my 50+ year old ears...

voicing:
Either Neutral or Music (with the dip @3kHz). I have also modified the "Tilt" voicing with a bit more gain below 50 Hz and that works well sometimes (I like LF:-). I have measured my system with REW after RP and it is quite flat actually from 14 Hz and up (+- 3dB). So I can play around a bit with voicings on occation, but depending on the recording.

Currently I am listening over and over to different Ola Gjeilo recordings and in this case I prefer Auro 2d + Music.
For what it is worth (if anything:-)

cheers, Erik
daimler2015 likes this.

Movie: MP-50 7.4.4, Adam Audio S5X-V, Tensor Center, SVS 2xPB16 2xPC13, Isovolt 3k, microRendu+ultracap
Stereo: dCS Bartok, ASR Emitter II Excl, Paradigm Persona 9H, Adyton Isovolt 6k, Roon
arisholm is offline  
post #1670 of 3062 Old 11-26-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,361
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Can Voicings and Post-Processing both be used at the same time? So you're using Auro 2D with a custom voicing?
artur9 is offline  
post #1671 of 3062 Old 11-26-2017, 10:10 AM
Member
 
logdog333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to logdog333
Quote:
Originally Posted by arisholm View Post
post-processing:
I have measured my system with REW after RP and it is quite flat actually from 14 Hz and up (+- 3dB). So I can play around a bit with voicings on occation, but depending on the recording.
Hello Erik!

Did you measure LFE channel's response? Is it also flat down to 14 Hz?
logdog333 is offline  
post #1672 of 3062 Old 11-26-2017, 12:37 PM
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,524
Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4139 Post(s)
Liked: 6700
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #1673 of 3062 Old 11-26-2017, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own little world!
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 94
No Atmos from VUDU via Roku Ultra

I tried to play a 4k Atmos stream of Lucy from Vudu through the Roku Ultra. The Vudu output info clearly states that it is sending Atmos, however the MP-50 only shows Dolby Plus Legacy and a 5.1.0 output.
I viewed various YouTube segments showing that they can receive Atmos on a variety of devices from the Roku Premier+ or Ultra. I have set the Ultra to the correct AUTO Dolby DD+ DTS. Has anyone been successful in getting Atmos from a Vudu-Roku-MP50 setup?

John


netroamer is offline  
post #1674 of 3062 Old 11-26-2017, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,751
Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5665 Post(s)
Liked: 5233
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
I tried to play a 4k Atmos stream of Lucy from Vudu through the Roku Ultra. The Vudu output info clearly states that it is sending Atmos, however the MP-50 only shows Dolby Plus Legacy and a 5.1.0 output.
I viewed various YouTube segments showing that they can receive Atmos on a variety of devices from the Roku Premier+ or Ultra. I have set the Ultra to the correct AUTO Dolby DD+ DTS. Has anyone been successful in getting Atmos from a Vudu-Roku-MP50 setup?
I don't have a 4k Roku device. Vudu works flawlessly with the Chromecast Ultra paired with the MP-50.

Do you get Atmos via Blu-ray without issue?

What is your speaker layout? Atmos won't kick in unless you have Height/Top or Wide speakers configured.
Marc Alexander is offline  
post #1675 of 3062 Old 11-27-2017, 01:49 AM
Member
 
arisholm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog333 View Post
Hello Erik!

Did you measure LFE channel's response? Is it also flat down to 14 Hz?
I have not really measured the LFE channel's response. To be precise: I have a setup with 4 subs (2 front, 2 rear) and no dedicated "LFE sub", so the LFE-channel is distributed to all 4 subs. Furthermore, the LF-portion (in my case below 80Hz) of the other 7 channels (FL, FR, C, ...) are distributed to the 4 subs according to the description provided in the Lyngdorf manual. I have not been able to measure the LFE channel independently, since I rely on the simple signal generator in REW (L or R or Both). If anyone knows of a way to generate a test signal for each individual channel in a multichannel setup (7.1 or 5.1) with REW on a Mac (through HDMI) I would be very interested in trying this!

What I _have_ measured, with REW and a calibrated MiniDSP microphone:
1) the combined response of the Left front speaker + Left front sub
2) the combined response of the Right front speaker + Right front sub
3) the combined response of the Left+Right front speakers + Left + Right front subs
4) the individual response of the Left front sub (by turning off the Left front speaker)
5) the individual response of the Left front speaker (by turning off the the Left front sub)
6) the individual response of the Right front sub (by turning off the Right front speaker)
7) the individual response of the Right front speaker (by turning off the the Right front sub)

I have done one or more of these measurements several times (as I am continuously "experimenting" with small tweaks in my room etc) and they have been reasonably flat (+/- 3dB) after RP, from 13-14Hz and up with the sub engaged. But unfortunately I have not saved a complete, systematic set of these measurements before and after RP (would be 14 graphs). Currently I am building a new wall in my HT room. That should be done by next weekend, and at that time I can share all measurements if people are interested.
I will do those measurements anyways, since I am quite interested to see what happens after I have installed the new wall :-)

And as I said, if someone can tell me how to measure each of the 6 or 8 channels in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup with REW, please give me a hint and I can try that too.

regards,
Erik

Movie: MP-50 7.4.4, Adam Audio S5X-V, Tensor Center, SVS 2xPB16 2xPC13, Isovolt 3k, microRendu+ultracap
Stereo: dCS Bartok, ASR Emitter II Excl, Paradigm Persona 9H, Adyton Isovolt 6k, Roon
arisholm is offline  
post #1676 of 3062 Old 11-27-2017, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own little world!
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I don't have a 4k Roku device. Vudu works flawlessly with the Chromecast Ultra paired with the MP-50.

Do you get Atmos via Blu-ray without issue?

What is your speaker layout? Atmos won't kick in unless you have Height/Top or Wide speakers configured.
My speaker setup is 7.1.4. I have no problem with HD or 4k Atmos or DTS-X BR titles. This appears to be only a Vudu/Roku/MP50 issue.

John


netroamer is offline  
post #1677 of 3062 Old 11-27-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nalleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 3,985
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 3744
Quote:
Originally Posted by arisholm View Post

And as I said, if someone can tell me how to measure each of the 6 or 8 channels in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup with REW, please give me a hint and I can try that too.

regards,
Erik
If you use REW with a Mac and via HDMI, that should be easy. Go into audio setup, midi or something and then configure channels. Then you can choose which channels to route the signal to.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
Nalleh is offline  
post #1678 of 3062 Old 11-27-2017, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
My speaker setup is 7.1.4. I have no problem with HD or 4k Atmos or DTS-X BR titles. This appears to be only a Vudu/Roku/MP50 issue.
I have the same setup and get Atmos without issues (I have a roku ultra). What are your audio settings on the Roku? I just leave it on auto detect (top setting) and it seems to get it right. Have you tried any other movies or the Atmos demo videos?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

JVC x750r, Seymour AV Matinee Silver 122" 16:9
Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242, Lyngdorf MP-50, D-sonic M3-4000+M3-800S
Panasonic UB900, Roku Ultra,
JTR 228HTR x 3 LCR, JTR S8HTs x 4 surrounds, Tannoy 601DC x 4 Atmos
Powersound Audio V1800 x 4 (7.4.4)
giftedmd is offline  
post #1679 of 3062 Old 11-28-2017, 01:39 AM
Member
 
logdog333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to logdog333
Quote:
Originally Posted by arisholm View Post

And as I said, if someone can tell me how to measure each of the 6 or 8 channels in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup with REW, please give me a hint and I can try that too.
Erik, for me it's Win7 PC with HDMI out and a ASIO for All driver which allows you to select any of 8 channels directly when making any measurement or using Generator. Can't say for Mac..
I use one LFE output which afterwards is distributed to 3 channels in external DSP. So I used only main LFE output in Lyngdorf's setup menu.
In this setup all channels, but FL and FR, crossed to LFE at 100 Hz were rolled off at 35 Hz down with 20 dB\octave slope... FL and FR stayed flat down to 16 Hz.
logdog333 is offline  
post #1680 of 3062 Old 11-28-2017, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own little world!
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
A bit if clarification. The Network Streamer will play any file of CD quality, 16bit, 44.1khz. Any file with a higher resolution and bit rate, will not play. As stated above, the file can be selected, the cover art loads, but the file will not play. Am I alone here?
This issue was duplicated and confirmed by Lyngdorf and will be fixed with the next update.
Marc Alexander likes this.

John


netroamer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off