Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1238Likes

post #2281 of 3013 Old 04-16-2018, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Handy tip: You can simply delete these posts with the Edit option.

Embarrassed. Don’t see option w/ app on phone. Stinking send button right next to next page button.

Anyhow, I have been working my way thru this enormous thread. I’m up to Oct 2017.

Giving very serious consideration to the MP-50. It would be going into a McIntosh-Dynaudio system.

I want RP, so it’s either MP-50 or MX160.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 3013 Old 04-16-2018, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 5543 Post(s)
Liked: 5135
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow1 View Post
Embarrassed. Don’t see option w/ app on phone. Stinking send button right next to next page button.

Anyhow, I have been working my way thru this enormous thread. I’m up to Oct 2017.

Giving very serious consideration to the MP-50. It would be going into a McIntosh-Dynaudio system.

I want RP, so it’s either MP-50 or MX160.
Yeah, you have to use the browser to delete. I use Tapatalk a lot and just Copy Post Url and paste it into browser to delete.

If you are already have McIntosh gear and love the sound I would go with the MX160 personally. I'm assuming you have the disposable income. I don't, so I went MP-50.
post #2283 of 3013 Old 04-16-2018, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Can you post some screenshots of what you are talking about?

I agree. Only bass management was given any attention at all. It is quite anemic. I got the P200 install guide and didn't learn much more from that either. I learned much more from the MX160 users. Shout out to @joerod @Philip To @daimler2015 @RapalloAV @SJHT @G-Rex @OzHDHT
[I'm probably missing some folks]

I feel qualified to write a better manual. They need to contract me if they can't do it. I will ask about a new manual. I actually don't mind the lack of documentation so much when they are focussing resources on making the product better, which has been the case so far.
For some reason i cant do a screenshot and paste it here But when you go into speaker room setting and under the menu channel gain. There you have all the volyme/trims for all the channels. When you look at the trims for the rp calibration on all the channels its greyed out then you have also the alternative. The dolby, dts and auro setting for the channel gains. You can change the value there. So what iam wondering, should the rp-channel setting be greyed out and what does that mean with the channel gains for dolby, dts and auro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2284 of 3013 Old 04-16-2018, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Yeah, you have to use the browser to delete. I use Tapatalk a lot and just Copy Post Url and paste it into browser to delete.

If you are already have McIntosh gear and love the sound I would go with the MX160 personally. I'm assuming you have the disposable income. I don't, so I went MP-50.
Is the sound that different between the two processors?

ChrisG
Seattle, WA
post #2285 of 3013 Old 04-16-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder View Post
Is the sound that different between the two processors?
No, there shouldn't be a wide difference but the McIntosh has Analog Inputs while the MP-50 has none.

I added a Mytek ADC96 to add analog input to my MP-50. Yes, I do care about analog. If one doesn't then the MP-50 is probably a no-brainer.
post #2286 of 3013 Old 04-18-2018, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I received my new MP-50 today.

I hooked it up to a modified Mac Mini. I see in devices Lyngdorf Audio A/S is recognized. But there are no drivers.

I am having various audio issues. Issues are both USB and HDMI. I don't see any drivers for the MP-50 on the Lyngdorf site.

Any suggestions?
post #2287 of 3013 Old 04-18-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo-No-Revo View Post
I received my new MP-50 today.

I hooked it up to a modified Mac Mini. I see in devices Lyngdorf Audio A/S is recognized. But there are no drivers.

I am having various audio issues. Issues are both USB and HDMI. I don't see any drivers for the MP-50 on the Lyngdorf site.

Any suggestions?
Windows10? Run Device Setup under audio Playback Devices.
post #2288 of 3013 Old 04-18-2018, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2115 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Widescreen Review MP-50 review

Linked at Lyngdorf site

http://lyngdorf.com/wp-content/uploa...over_hires.pdf

To summarize it, he liked it

Actually it was a rave review.

A couple of things caught my attention:

1) "There are 12 decoded channels with four additional outputs that can be
assigned to additional subwoofers, bi-amping (emphasis mine), additional height channels, or
front width channels supported by some post-processing audio options."

From the MP-50 manual:

"Bi-amping

For the front speakers, it is possible to select an option to use bi-amping, in which the system will route a copy of the signal for the left and right front speakers to a pair of the AUX outputs.
This signal is an exact copy of the existing signal for the front speakers. If the front speakers have been given a size with a cutoff frequency, that high pass filter is applied to these outputs
as well.This means it is possible to use bi-amping for speakers and still have bass management redirect the bass to a subwoofer instead."

I don't get why Lyngdorf mentions the copied HP filter, as it's for the woofer/sub XO, and would be rendered irrelevant for the tweeter channels.

Anyway, it would be awesome if Lyngdorf really means true biamping, i.e. active XO's, and not just some form of biwiring.

It seems like it would be straightforward, by using the Voicing function to apply a LP filter to a front channel to drive the woofer, and a HP filter to its copy to drive the tweeter (or vice versa).

Are there any gotcha's here, like limits to the freq range to which the HP/LP filters can be applies (I'd need about 1800 Hz)?

Also RP would have to know to simultaneously drive both woofer and tweeter channels at once when calibrating.

Has anyone tried this, or know if it's truly supported?

2) "Another interesting effect happened when changing the three front loudspeakers from Hsu Research CCB-8s to Vandersteen 3A Signatures and VCC-5 center channel....But RoomPerfect made the different loudspeakers sound freakishly similar. Not identical, but very close tonal matches for each other."

This is puzzling given Lyngdorf's avowal that the intent of RP is to maintain the character of your speakers.

Noah

Last edited by noah katz; 04-18-2018 at 08:59 PM.
post #2289 of 3013 Old 04-18-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Windows10? Run Device Setup under audio Playback Devices.
Yes, Bootcamped Windows 10 Pro.

I see that the drivers ARE installed for Lyngdorf Audio A/S in the Audio Devices.

I am still trying to sell my Dartzeel NHB 108 amp so I can complete the system.

But for now, I have the modified Mac Mini / Windows 10 Pro, Oppo203 and the Dartzeel is going into Evolution Acoustic speakers.

When I go into Windows Playback Devices is see the Lyngdorf Audio A/S device. When I open Properties and click the Test Button I get a very slight garbled and distorted tone. Something is definitely not right...
post #2290 of 3013 Old 04-18-2018, 09:15 PM

This makes no sense....I get music in JRiver using the Lyngdorf Audio A/S (WASAPI).

When I try to run Roon going into same device it won't work....music for a second or two then the music stops and you get a Roon error message that says An audio file is loading slowly and may indicate a network or hardware issue.

It is playing off local hard drive. Roon is really running badly connected trying to output to the MP50. Though it does play Airplay and has worked on HDMI audio but not consistently.

Seems like nothing is really working consistently. I have questions in to Lyngdorf but right now there are so many inconsistent issues that I am not exactly sure where to look for the issue now.
post #2291 of 3013 Old 04-18-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo-No-Revo View Post
Yes, Bootcamped Windows 10 Pro.

I have the modified Mac Mini
This complicates matters a bit. Can you try under native Mac OS?
post #2292 of 3013 Old 04-18-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
This complicates matters a bit. Can you try under native Mac OS?
Yes, I am going to do that. It will have to be tomorrow.

Thank you for your input.

Christopher
post #2293 of 3013 Old 04-19-2018, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Anyway, it would be awesome if Lyngdorf really means true biamping, i.e. active XO's, and not just some form of biwiring.
I have a DPA-1 which is a Lyngdorf 2ch preamp. I have 4 outputs to work with: the "Main" L/R and 2 "Line" outputs. I can H/P or L/P the signal to each of those or I can send a mono signal to the Line outputs with a L/P. I think that's what you're after? I use this feature for stereo subwoofers.

I would be surprised if the MP-50 did not have similar functionality.
post #2294 of 3013 Old 04-19-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I think that's what you're after?

Yes, thanks

Noah
post #2295 of 3013 Old 04-19-2018, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

This is puzzling given Lyngdorf's avowal that the intent of RP is to maintain the character of your speakers.
Yes well, so much voodoo and so little hard facts... As far as I can tell, based on the 2006 and 2007 AES papers that you also have read, RP adjusts frequency (as in amplitude) response with the assumption of a minimum phase system. So no correction of phase. And the upper and lower bounds on the amplitude corrections are determined by a heuristic algorithm accounting for the room "power" measurements. Fair enough and it works. But no magic, and not really much "character of your speaker" in the mix, except that RP is gentle wrt over-correction? Just speculation as usual.
On the other hand I can measure that RP seems to also adjust the timing between subs and mains (before vs after RP), which I think has a significant impact on what I can hear in terms of sub/main integration ("bass punch"). That's very good, but it is a different topic which is not discussed in those early papers...

Last edited by arisholm; 04-19-2018 at 04:11 PM.
post #2296 of 3013 Old 04-19-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I would be surprised if the MP-50 did not have similar functionality.
It doesn't at this moment (I've asked about it specifically). I'm sure it is capable, its just not implemented as it is a different platform than the 2ch processors.

One can kludge an active bi-amp with an auxiliary output! But only up to 800Hz.
post #2297 of 3013 Old 04-19-2018, 06:51 PM

So there it is, thanks, Marc.

Quote:
It doesn't at this moment (I've asked about it specifically). I'm sure it is capable, its just not implemented as it is a different platform than the 2ch processors.

One can kludge an active bi-amp with an auxiliary output! But only up to 800Hz.

Noah
post #2298 of 3013 Old 04-19-2018, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
It doesn't at this moment (I've asked about it specifically).
That's disappointing as it's one of the things I really like about the DPA-1.
post #2299 of 3013 Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
That's disappointing as it's one of the things I really like about the DPA-1.
The sense I got is that this feature is costly in providing technical support. Decisions are sometimes made regarding a feature's demand vs support costs. This just isn't a must-have feature in the MP-50's market. They aren't trying to be a Datasat, Trinnov or even Storm.

@noah katz what are your must-have features before you bite the bullet? Are you ready to jump once the bass roll-off is resolved?
post #2300 of 3013 Old 04-20-2018, 01:35 PM

Fixing the ULF rolloff would be nice, but not a showstopper.

The hold-up now is that after Lyngdorf touting the advantages of on-wall speakers, and thinking I'd like to bail out of my wall-hangers, I want to build some line array test boxes for drivers I happen to have.

I want to have them on hand for when I trial the MP-50.

Noah
post #2301 of 3013 Old 04-22-2018, 04:11 AM

@Marc Alexander you had planned quite a few interesting experiments with various sub + LFE configs. Did you try any of them and if so could you please share some impressions? Did you end up with bass management on only the two front corner subs (aux 1-2), and the rear corner subs only for the LFE?

Last edited by arisholm; 04-22-2018 at 04:14 AM.
post #2302 of 3013 Old 04-24-2018, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
I don't get why Lyngdorf mentions the copied HP filter, as it's for the woofer/sub XO, and would be rendered irrelevant for the tweeter channels.

It seems like it would be straightforward, by using the Voicing function to apply a LP filter to a front channel to drive the woofer, and a HP filter to its copy to drive the tweeter (or vice versa).

Are there any gotcha's here, like limits to the freq range to which the HP/LP filters can be applies (I'd need about 1800 Hz)?

Also RP would have to know to simultaneously drive both woofer and tweeter channels at once when calibrating.

Has anyone tried this, or know if it's truly supported?
Based on what you wrote, the signal should be identical... As it should be for bi-amping. If you would have different outputs, you'd talk about 'active drive' or 'active crossovers' or similar. The only benefit of this variant compared to a y-split cable would probably be if you would be using different amps with different input sensitivity... and possibly you could adjust volume separately, although that isn't apparent that you may either.

Codename - the Larch theater
post #2303 of 3013 Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Any update on the HDMI upgrade timeframe?

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
post #2304 of 3013 Old 04-24-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisholm View Post
@Marc Alexander you had planned quite a few interesting experiments with various sub + LFE configs. Did you try any of them and if so could you please share some impressions? Did you end up with bass management on only the two front corner subs (aux 1-2), and the rear corner subs only for the LFE?
I attended Axpona and I've been up to my elbows testing Subwoofers. I haven't tested RoomPerfect yet.

My new main speakers and subs came earlier than expected (just 2.2, active center and surrounds are a month away) am reconfiguring and rewiring.

I was able to verify that using a secondary AVR works just fine for LFE (as long as it is HDMI 1.3 or greater). Today, I need to test how HDR is affected.
post #2305 of 3013 Old 04-24-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandia View Post
Any update on the HDMI upgrade timeframe?
http://lyngdorf.com/news-hdmi-upgrade-program/
post #2306 of 3013 Old 04-24-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I attended Axpona and I've been up to my elbows testing Subwoofers. I haven't tested RoomPerfect yet.

My new main speakers and subs came earlier than expected (just 2.2, active center and surrounds are a month away) am reconfiguring and rewiring.

I was able to verify that using a secondary AVR works just fine for LFE (as long as it is HDMI 1.3 or greater). Today, I need to test how HDR is affected.
Sounds like fun, good luck with the new setup!
post #2307 of 3013 Old 05-04-2018, 03:07 PM

Has anyone the strange problem that spotify doesn't work sometimes on the mp-50? For me if i change the volyme on either the mp-50 in it self or on my mobilephone the track will begin from the start and i dont get any sound regardless of the volyme. I then need to do a factoryreset and after that it work. Anyone have had the same problem?
post #2308 of 3013 Old 05-13-2018, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_ View Post
Has anyone the strange problem that spotify doesn't work sometimes on the mp-50? For me if i change the volyme on either the mp-50 in it self or on my mobilephone the track will begin from the start and i dont get any sound regardless of the volyme. I then need to do a factoryreset and after that it work. Anyone have had the same problem?
Yes - Spotify has completely gone AWOL from my MP50. It works fine with my Control 4 but nothing with my MP50 anymore. It will turn on the MP50 but no sound unless I do a hard reboot and then it will only work until I turn it off again. This is a problem with both my phone and PC app. I also experienced the same bugginess you described previously but now I just don't get sound...
post #2309 of 3013 Old 05-13-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staged View Post
Yes - Spotify has completely gone AWOL from my MP50. It works fine with my Control 4 but nothing with my MP50 anymore. It will turn on the MP50 but no sound unless I do a hard reboot and then it will only work until I turn it off again. This is a problem with both my phone and PC app. I also experienced the same bugginess you described previously but now I just don't get sound...
I hope lyngdorf will come out with a new firmwareupdate
post #2310 of 3013 Old 06-07-2018, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 80
As soon as the HDMI board upgrade is shipped in new units, I am going to give this processor a spin. Hope this will happen by September or so...Bu I have a couple of questions for current owners.
1. Has the SACD playback or lack there of been addressed and fixed?
2. Has the audio delay on the first track of CD's and other source material been fixed?
3. Is there a direct/pure and or bypass for the fronts an option on the MP-50?

Last edited by Minge; 06-08-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page