Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1238Likes

post #2311 of 3013 Old 06-10-2018, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo-No-Revo View Post
I am still having issues with MP-50 and USB audio via Windows. I was having an issue with MacMini bootcamped with Windows 10 Pro for USB audio.

Now I have got rid of the Mac Mini and am in process building a HTPC. In the meantime I bought a new Dell XPS 15 All In One laptop.

Some issues....no USB audio. Plus lots of other little issues getting audio out of JRiver, Roon, Spotify. I get no test sound of the Windows Playback Devices. I can see on the screen that the MP-50 puts the audio information when I hit play but no sound.
Reinstalled USB drivers did nothing

USB has been nothing but a pain in the ass and I am getting tired of dealing with this. Where is Lyngdorf technical support?

I don't see that there is a direct link to technical support. Are we supposed to depend on the dealers to do technical support?
I'm curious - why would you use USB when you can use a LAN connection? I don't own the MP-50, but I've owned a lot of USB and Ethernet DACs and have found that Ethernet kicks USB's ass.

ChrisG
Seattle, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 3013 Old 06-10-2018, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
First off, I want my USB audio to work because I paid for it.

Are you talking about using Airplay for audio? I am not interested in Airplay.

Am not sure what you are suggesting with a LAN connection regarding the MP-50.

I stream Roon to my Lumin D1 from my computer without issue.

I want to be able to use Roon via USB to MP-50 and I have found no help in getting this to work. I have contacted my dealer so hopefully he can help sort this out.

Last edited by Evo-No-Revo; 06-10-2018 at 08:59 PM.
post #2313 of 3013 Old 06-10-2018, 07:22 PM

Now after leaving for a couple of hours and doing nothing other than putting the computer to sleep, I come back and I am getting audio via USB.

Jriver is playing with these Audio Devices;
ASIO Lyngdorf AS 1.03
ASIO Generic USB Device
XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 30A2 (ASIO)
Lyngdorf Audio A/S Streaming (Kernel Streaming)
Digital Output )Lyngdorf Audio A/S USB Driver 1.0.57 (Direct Sound)

JRiver not working with this Audio Device;
Digital Output (Lyngdorf Audio A/S USB Driver 1.0.57 (WASAPI)

Roon is now working with this Audio Device;
ASIO Lyngdorf A/S 1.03

Roon doesn't work with this Audio Device;
Lyngdorf Audio A/S USB Driver 1.0.57 (WASAPI)

As long as this continues to work, I am good. But I have had multiple times not been able to get the audio drivers to output USB audio.

I don't know where the issue lies....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2314 of 3013 Old 06-10-2018, 09:13 PM

Ha, unplugged USB cable for about 5 seconds to move a power supply cable around.

Now nothing Lyngdorf USB is working. I think Windows and Lyngdorf USB drivers need some work.

Does anyone have Lyngdorf USB drivers working using Windows 10?
post #2315 of 3013 Old 06-11-2018, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Quoted: 5529 Post(s)
Liked: 5081
There are probably some USB users on the UK forum, AVForums.

Use [email protected] for technical support in the US.
post #2316 of 3013 Old 06-14-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo-No-Revo View Post
First off, I want my USB audio to work because I paid for it.

Are you talking about using Airplay for audio? I am not interested in Airplay.

Am not sure what you are suggesting with a LAN connection regarding the MP-50.

I stream Roon to my Lumin D1 from my computer without issue.

I want to be able to use Roon via USB to MP-50 and I have found no help in getting this to work. I have contacted my dealer so hopefully he can help sort this out.
I take it that your Lumin D1 and the MP-50 aren't in the same room, right?

My comment was based on the fact that the MP-50 has an Ethernet connection. Ethernet trumps USB and one of the reasons that it does is the driver issue you appear to be having. As for Airplay? ugh.

ChrisG
Seattle, WA
post #2317 of 3013 Old 06-15-2018, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder View Post
I take it that your Lumin D1 and the MP-50 aren't in the same room, right?

My comment was based on the fact that the MP-50 has an Ethernet connection. Ethernet trumps USB and one of the reasons that it does is the driver issue you appear to be having. As for Airplay? ugh.
Sure but to use the Ethernet for streaming with Roon directly to the MP-50 it must be Roon ready, which it currently is not.
I use USB to stream to the MP-50 in this way: Tidal/MQA->Roon->Ethernet->microRendu (in Roon mode)->USB->MP-50. Sounds very nice.
But of course, no Windows 10 in the loop...
post #2318 of 3013 Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Would you owners of the MP-50 that have historically upgraded their pre-amps often say the MP-50 will stop the itch to upgrade for a longer ownership cycle? I have historically upgraded every two years or so and would love to find a pre-amp that would be the cornerstone of my system for 5 years or more. The upcoming HDMI boards should give me enough future proofing if the MP-50 is what I think it is sonically the investment in this unit should stop the cycle for a good bit..
post #2319 of 3013 Old 06-18-2018, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minge View Post
Would you owners of the MP-50 that have historically upgraded their pre-amps often say the MP-50 will stop the itch to upgrade for a longer ownership cycle? I have historically upgraded every two years or so and would love to find a pre-amp that would be the cornerstone of my system for 5 years or more. The upcoming HDMI boards should give me enough future proofing if the MP-50 is what I think it is sonically the investment in this unit should stop the cycle for a good bit..
Unfortunately, "upgradeitis" is not a hardware related issue - all of us in the hobby have that problem ......

Processor: Marantz 8802a Amplifiers: ATI Signature AT6007, Emotiva XPA5 Floor Speakers: (3) Triad Inroom Gold Monitors and (4) Gold Minimonitors ATMOS Speakers: (4) Atlantic Technology IC-6 OBA BR Players: Oppo BDP-95, Panasonic DMP UB900 Streamers: Dune D1, Roku 4, nVidia Shield Screen: Panasonic Plasma TC-P65VT25 Subs: (2) Velodyne Optimums and (1) HSU ULS-15
post #2320 of 3013 Old 06-19-2018, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post
Unfortunately, "upgradeitis" is not a hardware related issue - all of us in the hobby have that problem ......
Unless your signature line is not current you don't even own this pre-amp, correct?
post #2321 of 3013 Old 06-19-2018, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Unless your signature line is not current you don't even own this pre-amp, correct?
Correct - but whether or not I own this unit or any other unit, I believe the philosophy is the same - we all want to upgrade at one point or another due to the rapid rate of technology change.

Processor: Marantz 8802a Amplifiers: ATI Signature AT6007, Emotiva XPA5 Floor Speakers: (3) Triad Inroom Gold Monitors and (4) Gold Minimonitors ATMOS Speakers: (4) Atlantic Technology IC-6 OBA BR Players: Oppo BDP-95, Panasonic DMP UB900 Streamers: Dune D1, Roku 4, nVidia Shield Screen: Panasonic Plasma TC-P65VT25 Subs: (2) Velodyne Optimums and (1) HSU ULS-15
post #2322 of 3013 Old 06-19-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
It has for me. Although, I did add an external DSP (Symetrix Jupiter) and HDMI processor (HDFury Vertex) to reach this point.

YMMV
post #2323 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Yes, the itch has certainly been scratched. I plan to keep it until it dies and can no longer be repaired. Still undecided if I'm going to get the upgraded 4k card.

I'm no longer constantly testing and tweaking things, just watching movies and listening to music.

Only thing I wish it had is Pro Logic II.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #2324 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
Yes, the itch has certainly been scratched. I plan to keep it until it dies and can no longer be repaired. Still undecided if I'm going to get the upgraded 4k card.

I'm no longer constantly testing and tweaking things, just watching movies and listening to music.

Only thing I wish it had is Pro Logic II.
Since it doesn't have Pro Logic II, what is your default listening mode? I ask because I have a 7.2 setup (using a Classe SSP-800) and it defaults to Pro Logic IIx on streamed 5.1 content so all channels are engaged. Wondering if the MP-50 does something similar even without Pro Logic II

ChrisG
Seattle, WA
post #2325 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since it doesn't have Pro Logic II, what is your default listening mode? I ask because I have a 7.2 setup (using a Classe SSP-800) and it defaults to Pro Logic IIx on streamed 5.1 content so all channels are engaged. Wondering if the MP-50 does something similar even without Pro Logic II
I use Neural:X for most movies and Auro3D for stereo music. You can select the default up-mixer(or no post-processing) for each input you create in the MP-50's software.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #2326 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I'm contemplating replacing my Anthem AVM60 with the MP-50. I'd be looking to accomplish improved HT (5.1.4) enjoyment with Room Perfect, but mostly for the potential improvement in 2.1 channel music listening as I'm finding that I am doing more of that recently. Alternatively, I could get a 2-Channel Pre-Pro with HT bypass and keep the AVM60.

Can anyone share their experience with a similar move (AVM60 to MP-50)? Was/is there a significant difference between the two (especially with music listening)?

How do the MP-50 owners like the built-in media player?

I would most likely commit whenever the updated chipset has been released.
post #2327 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Happy with the MP50, but I am considering to add a Mytek Manhattan II DAC/pre to my system (for 2ch sources). This is one of very few DAC+preamps that has an "analog XLR passthrough" so that I easily can combine it with the MP50 for the front L+R speakers. The MP50 is extremely good on movies and very good on 2ch music, but not quite as good on 2ch as I've heard or even obtained with my old stereo DAC. So that's why I am considering this.. So yes there is some itching, not necessarily to replace it but to expand a bit!
EDIT: only problem with this is that I would like to include my subs for 2ch as well.... So as an alternative option I have a *small* itch to replace the MP50 for a Trinnov with all that flexibility, tweaking options and phase adjustment/alignment.. but then I would have to check whether it is better than the MP50 for 2ch, and that is not obvious. If not, Mytek + MP50 is probably the better upgrade;-)
BassMojo likes this.

Last edited by arisholm; 06-20-2018 at 03:19 PM.
post #2328 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
I'm contemplating replacing my Anthem AVM60 with the MP-50. I'd be looking to accomplish improved HT (5.1.4) enjoyment with Room Perfect, but mostly for the potential improvement in 2.1 channel music listening as I'm finding that I am doing more of that recently. Alternatively, I could get a 2-Channel Pre-Pro with HT bypass and keep the AVM60.

Can anyone share their experience with a similar move (AVM60 to MP-50)? Was/is there a significant difference between the two (especially with music listening)?

How do the MP-50 owners like the built-in media player?

I would most likely commit whenever the updated chipset has been released.
Yes, I've owned and done extensive testing with the AVM60, MRX720 and MRX1120. In my room, no contest. I greatly preferred the MP-50 in both sighted and blind testing.

I use the built in media player (Airplay) to stream music.

About 70/30 for music to movies right now.
BassMojo likes this.

post #2329 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Are folks still having "weak" bass issues (roll-off hard below 20hz), or has this been resolved (or worked around)?
post #2330 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
I'm contemplating replacing my Anthem AVM60 with the MP-50. I'd be looking to accomplish improved HT (5.1.4) enjoyment with Room Perfect, but mostly for the potential improvement in 2.1 channel music listening as I'm finding that I am doing more of that recently. Alternatively, I could get a 2-Channel Pre-Pro with HT bypass and keep the AVM60.Ω

For 5.1.4 and 2.1 I would have two SSPs in mind. The MP-50 and the Theta Casablanca IVa.

If you can explain your 2.1 setup that may help suggest which REQ (Room Perfect vs Dirac) would be a better fit.
BassMojo and duckymomo like this.
post #2331 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Are folks still having "weak" bass issues (roll-off hard below 20hz), or has this been resolved (or worked around)?
Lyngdorf is issuing a major(?) RoomPerfect update this month to address the issue.

Last edited by duckymomo; 06-20-2018 at 06:49 PM.
post #2332 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisholm View Post
Happy with the MP50, but I am considering to add a Mytek Manhattan II DAC/pre to my system (for 2ch sources). This is one of very few DAC+preamps that has an "analog XLR passthrough" so that I easily can combine it with the MP50 for the front L+R speakers. The MP50 is extremely good on movies and very good on 2ch music, but not quite as good on 2ch as I've heard or even obtained with my old stereo DAC. So that's why I am considering this.. So yes there is some itching, not necessarily to replace it but to expand a bit!
EDIT: only problem with this is that I would like to include my subs for 2ch as well.... So as an alternative option I have a *small* itch to replace the MP50 for a Trinnov with all that flexibility, tweaking options and phase adjustment/alignment.. but then I would have to check whether it is better than the MP50 for 2ch, and that is not obvious. If not, Mytek + MP50 is probably the better upgrade;-)
If the Mytek outputs from both the XLR and RCA analog outputs at the same time, you can put a switch like this https://www.bswusa.com/Switchers-and...BNC-P8642.aspx between the MP50 and Mytek.

One set of outputs will go to your amps and the other thru the switch for your subs. Using the 12V triggers from the MP50 to control it, the SS2.1 will switch between your Mytek for 2-channel and then the MP50 for HT. You'll need one for each channel.

I did this with my system - I use a Linn Klimax DS w/ a VTL TL7.5 III preamp for music and a Classe SSP-800 for HT (might replace it with MP50, we'll see...). This solution would be much cheaper than the Trinnov (which I'm trying very hard not to even consider...) ;-)

ChrisG
Seattle, WA

Last edited by 7ryder; 06-20-2018 at 06:49 PM.
post #2333 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
For 5.1.4 and 2.1 I would have two SSPs in mind. The MP-50 and the Theta Casablanca IVa.

If you can explain your 2.1 setup that may help suggest which REQ (Room Perfect vs Dirac) would be a better fit.
Thanks Marc. My HT set up is the Anthem AVM60, ATI amps, JTR 228HTRs (LCR), Slanted 8s (surrounds and Atmos) and a Cap 1400. For 2.1 music, I run the JTR 228HTRs for L&R and a Cap 1400 for sub. I'm not sure if I have answered your question. If not please elaborate. Thanks.
Brian

Edit: I plan to replace my 228s with 212RTs and add pair of Cap 2400s when we get into a larger house.

Last edited by BassMojo; 06-20-2018 at 08:04 PM.
post #2334 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Lyngdorf is issuing a major(?) RoomPerfect update this month to address the issue.
Where did you read that they are doing an update (this month) to improve the bass below 20Hz?
I would love to read what they are actually doing to RP to improve that...

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #2335 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Where did you read that they are doing an update (this month) to improve the bass below 20Hz?
I would love to read what they are actually doing to RP to improve that...
Several posters on avforums have gotten direct replies from from Lyngdorf stating that RP will be updated to address it.

post #2336 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Several posters on avforums have gotten direct replies from from Lyngdorf stating that RP will be updated to address it.
Thats very interesting to know!

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #2337 of 3013 Old 06-20-2018, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Good to know, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if they do. That and the 18gb cards would make this more tempting. Though, I'm really considering just pulling the trigger on the Anthem AVM 60 to leverage the 20% off sale ending at the end of June. But, if this is a lot better, ugh! Then there's the next tier in Storm Audio or Trinnov, but I'm unsure how high I want to allow the budget to creep.
post #2338 of 3013 Old 06-21-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
If the Mytek outputs from both the XLR and RCA analog outputs at the same time, you can put a switch like this https://www.bswusa.com/Switchers-and...BNC-P8642.aspx between the MP50 and Mytek.

One set of outputs will go to your amps and the other thru the switch for your subs. Using the 12V triggers from the MP50 to control it, the SS2.1 will switch between your Mytek for 2-channel and then the MP50 for HT. You'll need one for each channel.
Ahh, clever! So then I assume you activate the low pass XO in the subs and divide low? I can have 3 different profiles in my subs and control it from an app..

Quote:
I use a Linn Klimax DS w/ a VTL TL7.5 III preamp for music ...
THAT should do the job nicely!! :-)
post #2339 of 3013 Old 06-21-2018, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:

I think it will be a lot easier to find a 5-10 year pair of speakers than a pre-pro. Electronics technology changes often enough 2-3 years seems to be when that upgrade itch will set in (unless you avoid AVS altogether....)

Selling in AVS classifieds
FS: JTR 118HT Subwoofer
FS: Marantz 8805
post #2340 of 3013 Old 06-21-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisholm View Post
Ahh, clever! So then I assume you activate the low pass XO in the subs and divide low? I can have 3 different profiles in my subs and control it from an app..
you can do it that way or do what I did - put an analog parametric EQ in the loop
arisholm likes this.

ChrisG
Seattle, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page