Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1310Likes

post #2371 of 3251 Old 08-01-2018, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
Not really bizarre, Lyngdorf has developed and maintained a reputation in the US as well as other countries for exceptional service. So it's really a non-issue for most people.

My personal experience with their support has been terrific.

+1. I asked them to make discrete input commands to make it easier to program into my URC remote and they had them for me the next day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 3251 Old 08-01-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Quoted: 6110 Post(s)
Liked: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
A question for those of you who has buttkicker or other ass chaking units connected to the MP50, how do you set this up?
I'd like to keep this separate from the subwoofer output, no roomcorrection applied and bass management working for music and LFE. Worst case just LFE. Is this possible? Can you use the aux channels for this?
You cannot use the aux channels for transducers. While you can segregate bass management (aux) and LFE only (LFE), the aux will no longer get LFE. The best way to get LFE only for your transducers is to get it directly from your Blu-ray player's LFE output if it has one). One could also place a DAC only SPDIF output of the MP-50 but this will result in LFE and bass management bass as it is a 2.0 downmix.

It's a little confusing. There are some posts (I believe in the Crowson thread) which discuss how to use DSP (miniDSP, Inuke, etc.) to invert/remove REQ from the LFE output. I have not yet reintegrated my own transducers just yet (4x Earthquake MQB-1).

My Funk Audio center and surrounds just arrived so I can now finalize everything (I have been relocating room treatments as well).
post #2373 of 3251 Old 08-01-2018, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2372 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
The best way to get LFE only for your transducers is to get it directly from your Blu-ray player's LFE output if it has one).

How about the Zone B output with a LP filter applied?

It ought not to have RP applied.

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2374 of 3251 Old 08-01-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
How about the Zone B output with a LP filter applied?

It ought not to have RP applied.
The Zone B is the SPDIF out, no analog.

I wonder if Lyngdorf can enable the use of AUX for Zone B out? It cannot hurt to ask. The MX-160 has analog (RCA only) Zone B out, but not via AUX.

I bet it could be done. The better question is will they? It makes sense to me to do so (once the RP update is released).

I have good confidence that they will continue to develop this platform for many years to come. I have no plans to swap it out for something else anytime soon.
post #2375 of 3251 Old 08-01-2018, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2372 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:

OK, so I move my suggestion to the disc player analog outs, if as you said there is no LFE output.

Noah
post #2376 of 3251 Old 08-02-2018, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I wonder if Lyngdorf can enable the use of AUX for Zone B out? It cannot hurt to ask. The MX-160 has analog (RCA only) Zone B out, but not via AUX.

I bet it could be done. The better question is will they? It makes sense to me to do so (once the RP update is released).

I have good confidence that they will continue to develop this platform for many years to come. I have no plans to swap it out for something else anytime soon.
Let's say you have the Lyngdorf SDA2400, it's got a spdif input, would a transducer work with Zone B out? ( LFE )
post #2377 of 3251 Old 08-03-2018, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Anyone know what's changed in 3.07? No mention of it in this forum.

John

post #2378 of 3251 Old 08-04-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
Anyone know what's changed in[URL="https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2742129-lyngdorf-mp-50-12-channel-av-processor-9-1-6-matrixed-wides-top-middles-80.html"]3.07? No mention of it in this forum.
Release notes are generally available in the Latests-software_MP-50.zip found at the bottom of the product page: http://lyngdorf.com/mp-50/

The updates hit the server first (often late on Fridays recently) then the web a few days layer. Version on the web is still 3.0.6 so maybe Monday.

I am updating my unit right now.
post #2379 of 3251 Old 08-04-2018, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Updated mine OK, it was fairly brief, relatively speaking. Verified 3.0.6 is the latest on the web.

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
post #2380 of 3251 Old 08-05-2018, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Fixes to Auro and some pop and click stuff I believe. No RP update which is planned to be released and still no HDMI board. I would encourage everyone to enquire.
post #2381 of 3251 Old 08-05-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Danger View Post
Fixes to Auro and some pop and click stuff I believe. No RP update which is planned to be released and still no HDMI board. I would encourage everyone to enquire.
The Auro fixes were in 3.0.6
post #2382 of 3251 Old 08-05-2018, 12:54 PM

Ooh ok, this could be the RP update with the Sub fix then. I expect that's it.

Just as well I get another sub on the 9th.

Marc, I just bung each sub at the front innaux 1 and 2, set them as front subs and it'll send me LFE and redirected bass?

Doesn't the LFE do this as well for the single sub setup?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
post #2383 of 3251 Old 08-05-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Ooh ok, this could be the RP update with the Sub fix then. I expect that's it.

Just as well I get another sub on the 9th.

Marc, I just bung each sub at the front innaux 1 and 2, set them as front subs and it'll send me LFE and redirected bass?

Doesn't the LFE do this as well for the single sub setup?
Yes, but you must have LFE out disabled to redirect LFE to aux subs. Similar thing with bass management. LFE will get redirected bass only if there are no aux subs or XXL speakera configured.
post #2384 of 3251 Old 08-05-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, but you must have LFE out disabled to redirect LFE to aux subs. Similar thing with bass management. LFE will get redirected bass only if there are no aux subs or XXL speakera configured.
That's what I thought. My speakers are.... Medium I believe 80hz and using LFE for single sub.

With the addition of a second sub I'm going to use aux 1&2. So am I to understand in my setup it'll just be split LFE but corrected by RP as 2 subs?

Speaking of room correction, I'm using Paradigms PbK first, then RP so in effect its being double eq'ed - where do you come down on this practice, do you think the subs should be vanilla and let RP do it alone?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
post #2385 of 3251 Old 08-05-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought. My speakers are.... Medium I believe 80hz and using LFE for single sub.

With the addition of a second sub I'm going to use aux 1&2. So am I to understand in my setup it'll just be split LFE but corrected by RP as 2 subs?

Speaking of room correction, I'm using Paradigms PbK first, then RP so in effect its being double eq'ed - where do you come down on this practice, do you think the subs should be vanilla and let RP do it alone?
I would skip the PBK. Let RP do its thing and then use voicing to apply any futher EQ you desire.

With aux subs 1&2 you will have split LFE + stereo bass management. The beauty of RP is that it provides a time corrected bass-to-speaker splice for each/every speaker, not just the mains. This is the piece no other REQ provides. With other REQs you often need to manually align the subs to mains (Sub Distance Tweak) but all the other speakers will not be alignedm, nor is there means to.
Rock Danger likes this.
post #2386 of 3251 Old 08-09-2018, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,

I am considering purchasing the Lyngdorf MP-50, and I have a few questions.
Here is some background information:
Current system Naim AV2 (pre pro), Aragon 8008 (stereo amp via RCA), Acurus 100x3 (amp via RCA), Aerial Acoustic 10t (main), CC3 (center), SW12 (sub), Anthony Gallo Micro (surrounds), and DVDO edge (video processor).

Note, the Lyngdorf MP-50 will replace the Naim AV2, and I will use XLR to RCA cables to start. Later I plan to replace the front amps with Bel Canto ref 600s via XLR.

1. Are you happy with your purchase?
2. Does the Lyngdorf MP-50 use an on screen displays through the TV?
3. Could I use the Lyngdorf MP-50 via HDMI audio only (in other words keeping the video out of the system)?
4. Would I loose functionality by keeping the video out of the system?
5. Are there any surprise that I should know about?

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback.

Mike
post #2387 of 3251 Old 08-11-2018, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am in the process of finishing my room and looking to get an atmos enabled processor.
Music and fidelity are important factors and I am interested in the MP 50, future Emotiva processor and trinnov 16. I have also thought about the Nad masters v2.
Has anyone done a head to head with the MP 50 and these? I appreciate this is difficult because of room correction set up times.
Initially I was thinking about the anthem av60, but having read the thread, would spend more for better fidelity from the MP 50 and also the RP eq.
With regards to the 18g hdmi output, this is not a concern for me at present as I don’t have a 4K projector yet. Still waiting for a native 4K panel with laser source and high lumen output a bit cheaper than the Sony!
Do any 4K players output 18gb or projectors accept it? If so why can’t you connect your sources with this standard (x box and ? Roku) to the blu Ray player, then output the video from the blu ray player to PJ or tv via one of its hdmi outs and use its other hdmi out to feed the audio to the MP 50? All sources less than 18gb can go straight into the processor.
Do people not do this because of possible lip sync errors?
post #2388 of 3251 Old 08-12-2018, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I haven't done a head-to-head with these (and as you know, the RMC-1 hasn't seen the light of day and who knows when it will...), but a friend of mine had a MP 50 and now has an Altitude 16 which he prefers over the Lyngdorf - especially for HT. He has also owned the latest Anthem prepro and the latest Lexicon prepro. In his opinion, the Trinnov is the best of the bunch for HT, but none of them beat a dedicated 2-channel system...even with their room correction enabled.

Like you, I've been looking at all of these prepros, and I think I'm starting to lean toward Theta's Casablanca IV. Long history of upgradability, Dirac processing at 24/96 (the NAD downsamples to 24/48) and, from what I've been able to glean from reviews and forum accounts, it may sound the best when it comes to 2-channel audio so it could potentially be a one box solution for me and allow me replace the 2-channel preamp and DAC I also have in my system for when I want to listen to music. If it can do that, I'll actually make some money on this deal when I sell them!

ChrisG
Bend, OR
post #2389 of 3251 Old 08-12-2018, 10:23 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder View Post
….but none of them beat a dedicated 2-channel system...even with their room correction enabled.
Not my experience. Once I inserted a SoTA RC processor into my expensive 2.X ch system (TacT, now Trinnov) I never looked back. I've several friends who've gone the same route.

Quote:
Like you, I've been looking at all of these prepros, and I think I'm starting to lean toward Theta's Casablanca.....it may sound the best when it comes to 2-channel audio....
Another highly debatable subject. And, the Trinnov will handle up to 24ch @ 24/192kHz.

Others' MMV may vary, as always.
Marc Alexander and sdurani like this.
post #2390 of 3251 Old 08-12-2018, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Not my experience. Once I inserted a SoTA RC processor into my expensive 2.X ch system (TacT, now Trinnov) I never looked back. I've several friends who've gone the same route.

Another highly debatable subject. And, the Trinnov will handle up to 24ch @ 24/192kHz.

Others' MMV may vary, as always.
The Altitude 16 doesn't do 24ch 24/192 which is what I'm referring to.

And, yes, SQ is highly subjective and your mileage may vary.

ChrisG
Bend, OR
post #2391 of 3251 Old 08-12-2018, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone know if the VFD display is dimmable?
You can set the general info to go dim after a few seconds, but the company and RP logo at the bottom is not. And this is quite visible in a dark room.

Last edited by Whoracle; 08-13-2018 at 12:58 AM.
post #2392 of 3251 Old 08-12-2018, 05:09 PM

Onto another thorny subject, what amps do people use? I was thinking of the d sonic m3a 6100 7 channel amp because of the huge power reserves.
Any experience or thoughts?
post #2393 of 3251 Old 08-12-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder View Post
I haven't done a head-to-head with these (and as you know, the RMC-1 hasn't seen the light of day and who knows when it will...), but a friend of mine had a MP 50 and now has an Altitude 16 which he prefers over the Lyngdorf - especially for HT. He has also owned the latest Anthem prepro and the latest Lexicon prepro. In his opinion, the Trinnov is the best of the bunch for HT, but none of them beat a dedicated 2-channel
system...even with their room correction enabled.

Like you, I've been looking at all of these prepros, and I think I'm starting to lean toward Theta's Casablanca IV. Long history of upgradability, Dirac processing at 24/96 (the NAD downsamples to 24/48) and, from what I've been able to glean from reviews and forum accounts, it may sound the best when it comes to 2-channel audio so it could potentially be a one box solution for me and allow me replace the 2-channel preamp and DAC I also have in my system for when I want to listen to music. If it can do that, I'll actually make some money on this deal when I sell them!
Interesting re his opinion on trinnov. The speaker remapping is interesting, if any auro software comes out. Means can have voice of god etc from atmos layout. Not sure how well this works though.
Why the theta? I appreciate good previous update pathways, but only 4 hdmi in and 1 out. The balanced outputs seem a bit clunky and I didn’t understand the different configurable card options. Fewer channels processed than MP 50 and trinnov 16. Seems max 7:4:1. Only one sub. Like the idea of stereo or stereo pairs of subs with the MP 50.
post #2394 of 3251 Old 08-13-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger99 View Post
Why the theta?
Quote:
Long history of upgradability, Dirac processing at 24/96 (the NAD downsamples to 24/48) and, from what I've been able to glean from reviews and forum accounts, it may sound the best when it comes to 2-channel audio so it could potentially be a one box solution for me and allow me replace the 2-channel preamp and DAC I also have in my system for when I want to listen to music. If it can do that, I'll actually make some money on this deal when I sell them!
Quote:
Fewer channels processed than MP 50 and trinnov 16. Seems max 7:4:1. Only one sub. Like the idea of stereo or stereo pairs of subs with the MP 50.
The MP-50 and Theta utilize the same SHARC decoder, only 12 channels rendered. Only the Trinnov, Acurus, and Storm [and Emotiva's prototype] render 16 channel Atmos.

The MP-50's 4 aux channels can be utilized for subwoofers or Front Wide and Top Middle speakers. These locations are matrixed summed and not rendered. So it is supports. A 9.1.6 speaker layout but still 7.1.4. It works wonderfully for. Multi-row setups but is not true 9.1.6.
Quote:
Onto another thorny subject, what amps do people use? I was thinking of the d sonic m3a 6100 7 channel amp because of the huge power reserves.
I have active LCR speakers and D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 & 2000-5 amps. I believe the D-Sonics are the best value in high-quality Class-D amplification available!
post #2395 of 3251 Old 08-13-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj13young View Post
1. Are you happy with your purchase? YES
2. Does the Lyngdorf MP-50 use an on screen displays through the TV? YES
3. Could I use the Lyngdorf MP-50 via HDMI audio only (in other words keeping the video out of the system)? YES
4. Would I loose functionality by keeping the video out of the system? NO
5. Are there any surprise that I should know about? Current version does not support 4k HDR & 60FPS (2160p60), only 2160p30 max.
Quote:
Music and fidelity are important factors and I am interested in the MP 50, future Emotiva processor and trinnov 16. I have also thought about the Nad masters v2.
Has anyone done a head to head with the MP 50 and these? I appreciate this is difficult because of room correction set up times.
If you are a power user and can afford it, the Altitude 16 hands down. It is in a different class and has every option & frature you can imagine [and more]. Trinnov has no peers.

However, if you want something a bit less complex than the A16 and don't need 16ch rendering the MP-50 and RoomPerfect is a great option. Music and Fidelity in my media room is as good as I could have imagined. It is the best option under $10k aside from Emotiva's promised RMC-1.

I own the MP-50 (media room, 9.1.6) and NAD M15HD (den, 5.1.2) However, I am still awaiting the AM17 (Atmos & Dirac) MDC module for the NAD. The NAD is not in the same class as the Lyngdorf IMO. More comparable to Anthem and Arcam IMO.
Quote:
With regards to the 18g hdmi output, this is not a concern for me at present as I don’t have a 4K projector yet. Still waiting for a native 4K panel with laser source and high lumen output a bit cheaper than the Sony!
Do any 4K players output 18gb or projectors accept it?
. All 4k players support it. JVC projectors accept it.
Quote:
If so why can’t you connect your sources with this standard (x box and ? Roku) to the blu Ray player, then output the video from the blu ray player to PJ or tv via one of its hdmi outs and use its other hdmi out to feed the audio to the MP 50? All sources less than 18gb can go straight into the processor.
Do people not do this because of possible lip sync errors?
You can do this with Oppo and Cambridge Audio UHD Blu-ray players. However, I don't know of any others with the HDMI Input. There are devices from HDFury amd Lumagen that allow HDMI switching & splitting.

Lip Sync is easy to compensate for.
RUR and mj13young like this.
post #2396 of 3251 Old 08-14-2018, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Hmm....I emailed Lyngdorf a couple weeks ago to ask if the MP50 was room compatible and they told me it is not and they do not plan on adding that functionality.
Well, a slightly buggy but full featured "Roon ready" support was suddenly there in SW3.06 but not longer there in SW3.07 (just "upgraded" to SW3.07, which had only one package called "update-streaming"... funny ;-)
post #2397 of 3251 Old 08-14-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I've got a D-sonic M3a-1200-3 for the front three, and a Nad M27 for the surrounds and overheads.

Both work well, though are somewhat unsightly
post #2398 of 3251 Old 08-14-2018, 03:11 PM

Thanks. Great news re happy users of the d sonic amps. Will email the designer.
MP 50 is £12k in UK (more expensive than US even though a European product!) trinnov alt 16 is only £1k more.
Still a lot to pay for a processor. Would have to last me many years!
I don’t need more than 7.4 speakers and likely 2 subs. Maybe 4 subs if I can add in cheaper ones. Currently have one svs 4000 sealed and was planning to get another.
Advantage of the trinnov for me would be the virtual remapping of speaker layout, but has anyone heard this? Will check out the owners thread.
post #2399 of 3251 Old 08-16-2018, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
MP 50 is £12k in UK (more expensive than US even though a European product!) trinnov alt 16 is only £1k more.
I don’t need more than 7.4 speakers and likely 2 subs. Maybe 4 subs if I can add in cheaper ones. Currently have one svs 4000 sealed and was planning to get another.
Advantage of the trinnov for me would be the virtual remapping of speaker layout, but has anyone heard this? Will check out the owners thread.
I currently have the MP-50 and I am happy with it (bass management options and overall sound quality) but if I could choose again I would have spent a bit more and gone for a processor with at least 16ch AES digital outputs so that I could take full advantage of digital amps, active digital speakers or other downstream digital processing without introducing additional AD/DA conversion. That leaves only Trinnov, Datasat and Storm I think..

Last edited by arisholm; 08-16-2018 at 04:54 PM.
post #2400 of 3251 Old 08-16-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

if you’re going to stop at 11 channels, have you looked at the NAD M17?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page