Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1242Likes

post #2401 of 3025 Old 08-16-2018, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5596 Post(s)
Liked: 5192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger99 View Post
MP 50 is £12k in UK (more expensive than US even though a European product!) trinnov alt 16 is only £1k more.
Still a lot to pay for a processor. Would have to last me many years!
I don’t need more than 7.4 speakers and likely 2 subs. Maybe 4 subs if I can add in cheaper ones. Currently have one svs 4000 sealed and was planning to get another.
Advantage of the trinnov for me would be the virtual remapping of speaker layout, but has anyone heard this? Will check out the owners thread.
How do you plan to use remapping?

Lyngdorf MP-50 and Trinnov A16 may look similar in price on paper. However Trinnov does not allow dealer discount so list price is what you'll pay. The MP-50 ends up much less. You may also likely need pro services with the install of the Trinnov.

If you only need 7.x.4 I think the Trinnov is overkill. I would look at Acurus/AudioControl/Lexicon, Anthem, Denon/Marantz, and NAD. Spend the money you save on subs and a miniDSP 2x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 3025 Old 08-19-2018, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
How do you plan to use remapping?

Lyngdorf MP-50 and Trinnov A16 may look similar in price on paper. However Trinnov does not allow dealer discount so list price is what you'll pay. The MP-50 ends up much less. You may also likely need pro services with the install of the Trinnov.

If you only need 7.x.4 I think the Trinnov is overkill. I would look at Acurus/AudioControl/Lexicon, Anthem, Denon/Marantz, and NAD. Spend the money you save on subs and a miniDSP 2x4.
Thanks.
The Emotiva RMC 1 is on sale in the UK now, but I have seen any reviews or thread posts.
Spec looks good, but how does the audio quality compare to Lyngdorf or trinnov? Not just about the DACs, power supplies etc will also affect the sound.
The lexicon DC 10 is also available but apparently a rebadged arcam with limited extra 2 channel lexicon 7 processing.
I would love Krell to make an 11 or more channel processor. Apparently the 7 channel one sounds great!
post #2403 of 3025 Old 08-19-2018, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Thanks.
The Emotiva RMC 1 is on sale in the UK now, but I have seen any reviews or thread posts.
Spec looks good, but how does the audio quality compare to Lyngdorf or trinnov? Not just about the DACs, power supplies etc will also affect the sound.
The lexicon DC 10 is also available but apparently a rebadged arcam with limited extra 2 channel lexicon 7 processing.
I would love Krell to make an 11 or more channel processor. Apparently the 7 channel one sounds great!
Think you are mistaken there mate. The RMC-1 is not shipping yet. Could be a few months most likely more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2404 of 3025 Old 08-19-2018, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 5596 Post(s)
Liked: 5192
Quote:
Thanks.
I just inquired a few days ago. Here was the response.
Quote:
Hi Marc,

The RMC-1 is not currently available and we do not have an ETA for it as of yet. If we decide to accept pre orders for the unit it will be posted on the website. The upgrade for life discount is non transferable as it is not a card, it is for customers who made a certain purchase. The 40% discount cards are transferable, the original owner would have to contact us to notify us. Yes you will be able to use the discounts for the RMC-1.

If you would like, I can put you on the list to be notified once the RMC-1 becomes available.

Thank you,
<redacted>
Customer Care
Emotiva Audio Corporation
135 SE Parkway Court
Franklin, TN 37064
615 790-6754
post #2405 of 3025 Old 08-19-2018, 03:41 PM

https://www.norvett.com/product/emot...-av-processor/
It says in stock on the website. Probably a mistake then. I’ll give them a call tomorrow.
post #2406 of 3025 Old 08-20-2018, 09:03 AM

Thought this was an interesting review of the trinnov:
https://www.resolutionmag.com/wp-con...v-MC-V17.3.pdf
Sorry to keep posting unrelated things on this thread, but had noticed several people like me following it with a view to choosing a high end processor.
post #2407 of 3025 Old 08-20-2018, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
Quote:
Thought this was an interesting review of the trinnov:
https://www.resolutionmag.com/wp-con...v-MC-V17.3.pdf
Sorry to keep posting unrelated things on this thread, but had noticed several people like me following it with a view to choosing a high end processor.
That’s a review of the pro audio oriented MC, so really about the Trinnov Optimizer technology rather than the Altitude pre/pro with 3D audio immersion. You’ll find more Altitude specific reviews on the Trinnov site.

As you note, this is OT for an MP-50 thread, so if you have Altitude questions, best to ask/post there.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #2408 of 3025 Old 08-24-2018, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Just curious what others think. I currently have a 7.4.4 setup with surround backs and 4 subs wired independently. I like what the MP-50 and room perfect do with the imaging of the bass frequencies front-to-back and side-to-side with 4 subs and that i dont have to use my mini-dsp because the MP-50 integrates them beautifully. But I dont think I notice the effect as much as i would expect, probably because during most action movies and stuff the LFE is also going to all 4 subs so that kind of overwhelms the more subtle bass imaging. I have the room for front wides. Would most people just go with the wides, wire the subs in stereo (group the two subs on the right side of the room together and the ones on the left side of the room together) and reintroduce the mini dsp? I guess the question is how much would the matrixed wides add to the setup compared to the added imaging of 4 independent aux subs vs 2 (stereo). Is it worth the cost and added complexity?

JVC x750r, Seymour AV Matinee Silver 122" 16:9
Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242, Lyngdorf MP-50, D-sonic M3-4000+M3-800S
Panasonic UB900, Roku Ultra,
JTR 228HTR x 3 LCR, JTR S8HTs x 4 surrounds, Tannoy 601DC x 4 Atmos
Powersound Audio V1800 x 4 (7.4.4)
post #2409 of 3025 Old 08-26-2018, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedmd View Post
Just curious what others think. I currently have a 7.4.4 setup with surround backs and 4 subs wired independently. I like what the MP-50 and room perfect do with the imaging of the bass frequencies front-to-back and side-to-side with 4 subs and that i dont have to use my mini-dsp because the MP-50 integrates them beautifully. But I dont think I notice the effect as much as i would expect, probably because during most action movies and stuff the LFE is also going to all 4 subs so that kind of overwhelms the more subtle bass imaging. I have the room for front wides. Would most people just go with the wides, wire the subs in stereo (group the two subs on the right side of the room together and the ones on the left side of the room together) and reintroduce the mini dsp? I guess the question is how much would the matrixed wides add to the setup compared to the added imaging of 4 independent aux subs vs 2 (stereo). Is it worth the cost and added complexity?
I can only answer parts of your question as I have not used matrixed wides:
I currently use the 4 aux sub option with 4x corner subs and I like what it does in terms of imaging, integration and frequency response. I agree that the "bass imaging" can be quite subtle on most movies with (too) strong LFE content although I still can feel and hear the bass moving (in all four directions) on some scenes (fast moving cars, helicopters etc). That's really fun! On some multichannel music the effect is even more evident.

After a lot of experimentation I have ended up with keeping this config. Also tried using only the LFE-output and a MiniDSP to set delays etc for each sub, but I prefer what the 4 aux option does... Still, Lyngdorf recommended very clearly to me to have corner subs only in the front and not in the back. And ALL the way into the front corners! So with 4x subs, ideally we should stack 2x subs in the left and right front corners respectively, instead of having one in each corner. That's also how Steinway Lyngdorf seems to configure all of their high-end movie rooms, and this is what I will try in a new room I will build soon. In this case you would use only Aux 1 + 2 for subs, and each pair of stacked subs (Left and Right) can easily be calibrated as one without causing a mess in the impulse response or cancel each other out, as they are positioned on top of each other and will have the same delay and (almost) the same room response. But I know from a lot of measurements that this unfortunately will not work optimally in my movie room due to some heavy room modes with the front subs (peak around 30Hz and null around 60Hz), that not even RP can get completely rid of, but which cancel out nicely with rear subs in the mix. Something to consider in most rooms I think.

I do not feel any need for front wides (and I don't have the room for it) but there are a lot of people on this forum who really like it! And with the above stereo sub config at least you will have that option without the need for external DSP. Sorry I could not be of more help ;-)
giftedmd likes this.

Last edited by arisholm; 08-26-2018 at 01:53 PM.
post #2410 of 3025 Old 08-26-2018, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2146 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
I guess the question is how much would the matrixed wides add to the setup compared to the added imaging of 4 independent aux subs vs 2 (stereo). Is it worth the cost and added complexity?

I'd think the expanded front soundstage wides give would be both more, and more often, noticeable than occasional directional bass.

I expect Marc could expand on that quite a bit.

Noah
post #2411 of 3025 Old 08-27-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisholm View Post
I can only answer parts of your question as I have not used matrixed wides:
I currently use the 4 aux sub option with 4x corner subs and I like what it does in terms of imaging, integration and frequency response. I agree that the "bass imaging" can be quite subtle on most movies with (too) strong LFE content although I still can feel and hear the bass moving (in all four directions) on some scenes (fast moving cars, helicopters etc). That's really fun! On some multichannel music the effect is even more evident.

After a lot of experimentation I have ended up with keeping this config. Also tried using only the LFE-output and a MiniDSP to set delays etc for each sub, but I prefer what the 4 aux option does... Still, Lyngdorf recommended very clearly to me to have corner subs only in the front and not in the back. And ALL the way into the front corners! So with 4x subs, ideally we should stack 2x subs in the left and right front corners respectively, instead of having one in each corner. That's also how Steinway Lyngdorf seems to configure all of their high-end movie rooms, and this is what I will try in a new room I will build soon. In this case you would use only Aux 1 + 2 for subs, and each pair of stacked subs (Left and Right) can easily be calibrated as one without causing a mess in the impulse response or cancel each other out, as they are positioned on top of each other and will have the same delay and (almost) the same room response. But I know from a lot of measurements that this unfortunately will not work optimally in my movie room due to some heavy room modes with the front subs (peak around 30Hz and null around 60Hz), that not even RP can get completely rid of, but which cancel out nicely with rear subs in the mix. Something to consider in most rooms I think.

I do not feel any need for front wides (and I don't have the room for it) but there are a lot of people on this forum who really like it! And with the above stereo sub config at least you will have that option without the need for external DSP. Sorry I could not be of more help ;-)
Thank you for the reply! Never considered stacking my subs. Dont have room to stack them in the front of the room since sides of the room are slanted with the roof line. But they could be stacked in the rear location which is actually in the middle of the room technically. My theater space is in just the front half. Maybe i wont have as many issues with peaks and nulls. I'll experiment to see how that sounds. My soundstage wont get too much wider with wides because the room is rather narrow to begin with. They would be more to bridge sound between fronts and side surrounds and stabilize sound in that location. I do get great "phantom wides" from the imaging of the front and side surround speakers with a lot of sound in that location at the MLP. But if im out of the sweet spot that effect breaks down quickly.

post #2412 of 3025 Old 08-27-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
My soundstage wont get too much wider with wides because the room is rather narrow to begin with... I do get great "phantom wides" from the imaging of the front and side surround speakers with a lot of sound in that location at the MLP.But if im out of the sweet spot that effect breaks down quickly.

The width of the room is not important, it's the angular position of the speakers.

The imaging won't break down away from the sweet spot if you put wides at the phantom image locations.

Noah
post #2413 of 3025 Old 08-29-2018, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you for the reply! Never considered stacking my subs. Dont have room to stack them in the front of the room since sides of the room are slanted with the roof line. But they could be stacked in the rear location which is actually in the middle of the room technically. My theater space is in just the front half. Maybe i wont have as many issues with peaks and nulls. I'll experiment to see how that sounds. My soundstage wont get too much wider with wides because the room is rather narrow to begin with. They would be more to bridge sound between fronts and side surrounds and stabilize sound in that location. I do get great "phantom wides" from the imaging of the front and side surround speakers with a lot of sound in that location at the MLP. But if im out of the sweet spot that effect breaks down quickly.
Ideally they should be stacked in corners but nevertheless it is an interesting experiment. Looking forward to hearing about it;-)
post #2414 of 3025 Old 08-30-2018, 09:15 AM

Changed setup in MP-50 to run just the two rear subs in stereo. Ran through a couple of bass heavy movie scenes and it actually sounded a lot better than expected! Bass is very punchy and smooth and still fills space well. My subs are stands for front and left speakers currently and running just rear subs made sound in front stage a bit clearer. I definitely noticed the lack of bass imaging though . Will stack them and run some measurements once I get some Y splitters this weekend but I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the front wides unless the measurements show something crazy. With my side surrounds angled back at 110 degrees I think my room will benefit from speakers in that location a lot. And yes I am changing my carpet color lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0414_1535641542522.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	4.90 MB
ID:	2448612   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0416_1535641558834.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	4.46 MB
ID:	2448614   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0417_1535641581533.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	4.28 MB
ID:	2448616  

Last edited by giftedmd; 08-30-2018 at 09:25 AM.
post #2415 of 3025 Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
I have a 5.2.4 setup, and am debating between the mp50 vs the NAD m17v2 for the pre-amp. Does anyone have experience with both? How do they differ?
post #2416 of 3025 Old 09-07-2018, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hehe299792458 View Post
I have a 5.2.4 setup, and am debating between the mp50 vs the NAD m17v2 for the pre-amp. Does anyone have experience with both? How do they differ?
I would go with the Lyngdorf of those two...especially considering the price difference would be quite small. From my experience NAD is very price controlled, if you shop around you can get a good deal on the lyngdorf.
post #2417 of 3025 Old 09-12-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 718
New firmware 3.08 on the server. No notes on the website yet. This update took far longer then previous versions and seemed to be focused on the DSP. It went from version 4.00a to 6.00h.

For a smaller company, Lyngdorf sure is banging out updates with great regularity.
RapalloAV and boeingdriver like this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #2418 of 3025 Old 09-12-2018, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Any word on the HDMI upgrade at the recent AV shows?
post #2419 of 3025 Old 09-12-2018, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
New firmware 3.08 on the server. No notes on the website yet. This update took far longer then previous versions and seemed to be focused on the DSP. It went from version 4.00a to 6.00h.

For a smaller company, Lyngdorf sure is banging out updates with great regularity.
What does the new firmware do? I have a stange problem with all the new firmware above 3.4.0 the sound changes for me. I dont get at all the open sound and the volyme like i get from the 3.4.0 version. so i dont update the firmware. Do you know if you need to re-do the roomperfect calibartion, Does it change anything wiht the roomperfectcurve? I have asked lyngdorf about it but i haven´t got an answer yet
daimler2015 likes this.
post #2420 of 3025 Old 09-14-2018, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_ View Post
Does it change anything wiht the roomperfectcurve? I have asked lyngdorf about it but i haven´t got an answer yet

Its an interesting question! Does anyone know the answer?
post #2421 of 3025 Old 09-17-2018, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

- Bugfix Wake-up time from standby
- Bugfix Dolby enabled speakers

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #2422 of 3025 Old 09-21-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Hi! So it doesn´t change the quality of the sound for the worse for you with newer firmware then the 3.4.0?
post #2423 of 3025 Old 09-21-2018, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi! So it doesn´t change the quality of the sound for the worse for you with newer firmware then the 3.4.0?
No

post #2424 of 3025 Old 09-21-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
No
so it doesn.t change the sound at all for you? hmm
post #2425 of 3025 Old 09-22-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Why would you expect those bugfixes to change the sound?

Noah
post #2426 of 3025 Old 09-22-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Why would you expect those bugfixes to change the sound?
i dont. I was talking in general. About each firmware version above 3.4.0. It seem to change the sound for me that is why asked if it has done that for you also.
post #2427 of 3025 Old 09-24-2018, 01:34 PM

New review of MP-50:

https://hometheaterreview.com/lyngdo...eamp-reviewed/

Credit to Rock Danger at avforums for pointing it out
Rock Danger likes this.

Noah
post #2428 of 3025 Old 09-28-2018, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I am very interested in this! It looks like an amazing processor! Can someone PM me and let me know where I can get one? Whats the "street price?"
post #2429 of 3025 Old 09-28-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Still really want to put this back on the list -- any word on the 18gb chip upgrade and the 20hz bass cliff?
netroamer and BassMojo like this.
post #2430 of 3025 Old 10-04-2018, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Both soon. Last bit of testing for the room perfect update and word back from the chip manufacturers any time now.

I always suggest emailing them.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
DreamWarrior likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page