Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1263Likes

post #2461 of 3059 Old 11-09-2018, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Danger View Post
Sorry, I meant what media source do you use for your movies etc that won't work on the Lyngdorf right now? Where is the limitation outside xbox's HDR?
They do have an 18gbps board coming out and I'll wager it'll smash the NAD too. The MP50 is right up there with the best of them and gets good results consistently. I've heard them in several different rooms now with the same speakers (more or less) and it's as good/better as everything else I've heard.

Giving up DTS:X seems a bit daft, Auro, sure there's not much going on there in the west.
The limitation is purely in my head, as I don't want to spend $ on a processor without working 18gb chips, lol. I'd rather have a solution "on deck" if / when I need it. And, yes, I've heard good things about Room Perfect and would like to give it a shot.

As for giving up DTS:X, yeah, that's a bit annoying. Unfortunately, though, I don't have heights at all right now, so...I'm really not giving up anything.

Honestly, all of these processors are more than I need. At best, right now, I'll have a 5.1 system using phantom center. But, if I ever get to finish up my basement space better, I want to be prepared. But, I don't want to overspend on preparation because even then, likely 7.1.4 is the best I'll ever get to.

Of course, if anyone wants to send me a demo MP-50, I'd love to try it out! Else, I'm willing to pay for it up front if there's a good return policy, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 3059 Old 11-09-2018, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
As for the NAD, I've been given a reasonable price, especially if I buy the demo unit. It also has balanced connections for all channels, you just need to use a mini-XLR to XLR adapter for the heights (which are included). I was also pretty harsh on the NAD's value, given its low channel count and lack of DTS:X and OSD. However, there aren't many Dirac units around to chose from, so if one wants to try Dirac as I do, it's probably one of the better contenders. The Arcam / Lexicon units are another, but I don't like being limited to a single crossover setting for all base channels.
I’ve had the same issue you do- trying to find a good, sub 10k dirac processor. I ended up just going with a Marantz 8805, though do have an eye on the RMC release.

Selling in AVS classifieds
FS: McIntosh MX-160 Processor
post #2463 of 3059 Old 11-09-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
I’ve had the same issue you do- trying to find a good, sub 10k dirac processor. I ended up just going with a Marantz 8805, though do have an eye on the RMC release.
I considered the Marantz unit and toying with the Audyssey app, but decided I don't want to use Audyssey again this go-round.

edit: Looks like you've had and sold both the Lyngdorf MP-50 and the NAD M17v2. In fact, I may have even talked to you about the MP-50. Care to share your thoughts (if even via PM).

Last edited by DreamWarrior; 11-09-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2464 of 3059 Old 11-09-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
In fact, I may have even talked to you about the MP-50. Care to share your thoughts (if even via PM).

Please share

Noah
post #2465 of 3059 Old 11-09-2018, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Please share
I don't have anything to share except I think I PM'd him about buying his MP-50, haha. But, you probably meant you want him to share his impressions here, lol.
post #2466 of 3059 Old 11-09-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
But, you probably meant you want him to share his impressions here, lol.

yep

Noah
post #2467 of 3059 Old 11-10-2018, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
MP-50 LFE vs AUX, Dual Subs Diagonally Positioned

I just installed my MP-50 this week and I'm adjusting the overall system. Dual subs have been heavily discussed...but I'm hoping for further insight from others more technical than me.

My subwoofers are positioned diagonally in the room. The front sub is about 2' closer to the primary listening position than the front sub. Moving my subs around the room is NOT an option - very limited space - no need even suggesting it.

I have been working with SVS, my Dealer and Lyngdorf to optimize my setup - with varying opinions.

Current Setup:

- My two diagonally positioned subs are connected to the MP-50 AUX 1 and 2 outputs (MP-50 LFE output is not used)
- The idea behind using AUX 1 and 2 is that this configuration would better accommodate the unequal distances of my subs from the prime listening position - reducing phase issues.
- All my speakers are set to M Medium (80Hz cutoff frequency)
- Lyngdorf says "With a diagonal subwoofer setup you can operate in Mono only". They strongly suggest I use the LFE output with a Y Splitter - but they acknowledge there may be phase issues given subwoofer placement. I have not tested this configuration yet.

Are there other individuals like me that have two subwoofers that are diagonally placed in the room that are unequal distances from the listening position? If so, how did you handle the setup?

Thanks!!!

My Equipment:

- MP-50
- SVS SB16 Ultras (Pair)
- B&W 803 D3 Front Speakers
- B&W HTM1 D3 Center
- B&W 804 D3 Rear Speakers
- SVS Prime Elevation Speakers (not installed yet)
- McIntosh MC452 (Front Speakers)
- MC205 (Center, Rear, and Elevation Speakers)
- Oppo 203
- PS4 Pro
- Sony 65" Z9D
post #2468 of 3059 Old 11-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 275
I have the same exact setup as yourself. The distance is about 1 foot between the two subs. I have the two subs daisychained to the LFE and the distance is set to the closest one. I typically use REW to find the sub delay and add that to the distance but I’m currently having trouble with the REW program.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L. Todd View Post
I just installed my MP-50 this week and I'm adjusting the overall system. Dual subs have been heavily discussed...but I'm hoping for further insight from others more technical than me.

My subwoofers are positioned diagonally in the room. The front sub is about 2' closer to the primary listening position than the front sub. Moving my subs around the room is NOT an option - very limited space - no need even suggesting it.

I have been working with SVS, my Dealer and Lyngdorf to optimize my setup - with varying opinions.

Current Setup:

- My two diagonally positioned subs are connected to the MP-50 AUX 1 and 2 outputs (MP-50 LFE output is not used)
- The idea behind using AUX 1 and 2 is that this configuration would better accommodate the unequal distances of my subs from the prime listening position - reducing phase issues.
- Lyngdorf says "With a diagonal subwoofer setup you can operate in Mono only". They strongly suggest I use the LFE output with a Y Splitter - but they acknowledge there may be phase issues given subwoofer placement. I have not tested this configuration yet.

Are there other individuals like me that have two subwoofers that are diagonally placed in the room that are unequal distances from the listening position? If so, how did you handle the setup?

Thanks!!!

My Equipment:

- MP-50
- SVS SB16 Ultras (Pair)
- B&W HTM1 D3 Center
- Oppo 203
- PS4 Pro
- Sony 65" Z9D
J.L. Todd likes this.
post #2469 of 3059 Old 11-10-2018, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Current Setup:

Thanks!!!

My Equipment:

- MP-50
- SVS SB16 Ultras (Pair)
- B&W HTM1 D3 Center
- Oppo 203
- PS4 Pro
- Sony 65" Z9D
Using the Aux 1 and 2 in this case will be strange since the MP-50 will matrix the subs with the other speakers assuming it has two (or four) front (+ back) corner placed subs. So the better option is both subs on the LFE output (either a Y-splitter or actually you can just daisy chain the SB-16s) in this case. Then if possible, I would use REW to measure each sub individually first, and then in combination, and use phase adjustments (on the closest sub) to try to reduce cancellations and make them add up as "one". Actually, a slight difference in phase between the two subs may sometimes be beneficial even, to reduce seat-to-seat variations, as explained in depth in the Multi-Sub optimiser tool (https://www.andyc.diy-audio-engineer...tml/index.html). In any case, finally I would set the distanse to the back of the sub furthest away before running RP.
And if that does not suffice (but I think it will), you can get an external DSP (e.g., a MiniDSP) to tweak the integration between the two subs even further, before running RP. There is a great tutorial by AustinJerry on how to do that, including aligning impulse response etc: https://www.minidsp.com/support/comm...ered-tutorials
J.L. Todd likes this.

Last edited by arisholm; 11-10-2018 at 04:34 PM.
post #2470 of 3059 Old 11-10-2018, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 773
How has started to use the new firmware, curious on your thoughts of the sound now?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #2471 of 3059 Old 11-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by arisholm View Post
In any case, finally I would set the distanse to the back of the sub furthest away before running RP.

Is this always the recommended general procedure to measure sub distance? and LFE?

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
post #2472 of 3059 Old 11-11-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
How has started to use the new firmware, curious on your thoughts of the sound now?
Big improvement. I posted a lot of graphs on the Lyngdorf avforum. Sorry too much to cross-post ;-)
post #2473 of 3059 Old 11-11-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandia View Post
Is this always the recommended general procedure to measure sub distance? and LFE?
The general recommendations are a bit vague I think. Really, the VERY best way to set the sub distance in cases like this one is to check with REW and using one of several techniques (impulse response with accoustic timing reference, etc).
But I found that I can get very acceptable results by simply measuring the distance on the *BACK* of the sub, or if it is in a corner, measure the distanse to the corner...
But in this particular case, where there were two subs of slightly unequal distances, and where you first tweak the phase of the closest sub to align the two subs, then I would enter the distance from the MLP to the back of the sub furthest away as the "LFE distance". That's just my experience/opinion in for a special case like this:-)
I've also experienced that it may be an advantage to let the woofer face the wall and not forward.. but opinions differ on that. That could also be a way to reduce the difference in distances between the two subs...
Marc Alexander likes this.
post #2474 of 3059 Old 11-11-2018, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Big improvement. I posted a lot of graphs on the Lyngdorf avforum. Sorry too much to cross-post ;-)
Could you post a link? I’m having a hard time finding it. Thanks!
post #2475 of 3059 Old 11-11-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
Could you post a link? I’m having a hard time finding it. Thanks!
OK, apologies to the mod, please don't kick me out! You will find several posts and graphs here https://www.avforums.com/threads/lyn...80956/page-218
post #2476 of 3059 Old 11-11-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Nicely done.

I use a DPA-1 and noticed that the bass extension was different before/after using RP. I never thought it was an RP issue.

The loudness contour thing you measured makes no sense. Those curves are nowhere near what Fletcher Munson defined.
post #2477 of 3059 Old 11-16-2018, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just received my MP-50 to replace my aging McIntosh 151. This will go in a dedicated room with 7.4.6 arrangement. All speakers are Martin Logan inwalls that can go down to 40 Hz. 3 Subs are REL S3 with speakon connection and 3 are Rythmic Audio 12 Servo. All subs can go down to 15-20 Hz.
Need advise on how to setup the 4 corner Subs that will be connected to Aux on MP-50. I am confused on how to set the cross over between the speakers and 4 Aux Subs. I plan on connecting the 2 Subs to LFE with a Y. One of the LFE sub is 5' above the ground.
How does MP-50 distribute responsibility of the 4 Aux Subs. I assume Front left sub to front left Sub, front right speaker to front right sub, however, not sure on what is done with the back Subs. Which speakers are assigned to the Subs on AUX.
Any advise setup will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
KE

(Sorry, did not get any response from the other forum. Any help?)
post #2478 of 3059 Old 11-16-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-Houston View Post
Just received my MP-50 to replace my aging McIntosh 151. This will go in a dedicated room with 7.4.6 arrangement. All speakers are Martin Logan inwalls that can go down to 40 Hz. 3 Subs are REL S3 with speakon connection and 3 are Rythmic Audio 12 Servo. All subs can go down to 15-20 Hz.
Need advise on how to setup the 4 corner Subs that will be connected to Aux on MP-50. I am confused on how to set the cross over between the speakers and 4 Aux Subs. I plan on connecting the 2 Subs to LFE with a Y. One of the LFE sub is 5' above the ground.
How does MP-50 distribute responsibility of the 4 Aux Subs. I assume Front left sub to front left Sub, front right speaker to front right sub, however, not sure on what is done with the back Subs. Which speakers are assigned to the Subs on AUX.
Any advise setup will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
KE

(Sorry, did not get any response from the other forum. Any help?)
You need to read the manual. It's detailed very clearly starting on page 13.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dd.png
Views:	546
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	2483634  

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #2479 of 3059 Old 11-17-2018, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
You need to read the manual. It's detailed very clearly starting on page 13.

How does the MP-50 handle 2 channel audio when the sub is attached to LFE? Is there a 2.1 mode? Is it better to attach a single sub to 2 aux outputs and send a left and right signal? What is the best way to use a single sub for music and movies? Thanks.
post #2480 of 3059 Old 11-17-2018, 07:55 AM

Need Some Help Please.

I've only had the MP-50 installed in my updated home cinema/music system for a few days. Have been ironing out the wrinkles.

Last night, for the first time, we watched a movie to test Dolby Atmos. The movie was Star Wars The Last Jedi 4K UHD with Dolby Atmos.

Repeatedly throughout the movie this message flashed across the screen "Unsupported Audio Signal. Please check connection.".

I'm using Fusion4k High Speed 4K Professional Series HDMI cables to connect my Oppo 203 to my MP50. The cables were secure.

On the MP50, under Audio Processing, all settings are set to "Off" except TrueHD dynamic range control - which is set to "Auto".

I was receiving sound through all my speakers including my 2 Atmos height speakers. The MP50 "Dolby Atmos" and "TrueHD" were illuminated in red.

Repeatedly receiving this message across the TV while trying to enjoy the movie completely tainted the experience.

Can anyone help with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 6.46.53 AM.png
Views:	52
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	2484026  
post #2481 of 3059 Old 11-17-2018, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj13young View Post
How does the MP-50 handle 2 channel audio when the sub is attached to LFE? Is there a 2.1 mode? Is it better to attach a single sub to 2 aux outputs and send a left and right signal? What is the best way to use a single sub for music and movies? Thanks.
A single sub should always be connected to LFE. It will play redirected bass + the LFE channel.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #2482 of 3059 Old 11-17-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Need Some Help Please.

I've only had the MP-50 installed in my updated home cinema/music system for a few days. Have been ironing out the wrinkles.

Last night, for the first time, we watched a movie to test Dolby Atmos. The movie was Star Wars The Last Jedi 4K UHD with Dolby Atmos.

Repeatedly throughout the movie this message flashed across the screen "Unsupported Audio Signal. Please check connection.".

I'm using Fusion4k High Speed 4K Professional Series HDMI cables to connect my Oppo 203 to my MP50. The cables were secure.

On the MP50, under Audio Processing, all settings are set to "Off" except TrueHD dynamic range control - which is set to "Auto".

I was receiving sound through all my speakers including my 2 Atmos height speakers. The MP50 "Dolby Atmos" and "TrueHD" were illuminated in red.

Repeatedly receiving this message across the TV while trying to enjoy the movie completely tainted the experience.

Can anyone help with this?
You can try turning off dynamic range control, but this is probably not the issue. You should probably contact Lyngdorf support.
J.L. Todd likes this.

post #2483 of 3059 Old 11-17-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
You can try turning off dynamic range control, but this is probably not the issue. You should probably contact Lyngdorf support.
Thanks.

I just turned off TrueHD Dynamic Range Control - but I agree, I don't think that is it.

With respect to Lyngdorf, I only have one support contact and that is Flemming Smith. And I think email is the only way to correspond with Lyngdorf from the USA??

Having said that, I'm hoping someone else has bumped into this issue and has a resolution.
post #2484 of 3059 Old 11-17-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
A single sub should always be connected to LFE. It will play redirected bass + the LFE channel.
Does the MP-50 use selectable modes or does automatically switch between audio formats? How would it play a stereo signal, LR & sub?
post #2485 of 3059 Old 11-19-2018, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does the MP-50 use selectable modes or does automatically switch between audio formats? How would it play a stereo signal, LR & sub?
You can manually select the mode on the fly, or you can set a default for each input you create. If you don't select an upmixer, it will play a stereo signal as intended including a sub if the L/R speakers have a crossover.

post #2486 of 3059 Old 11-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
You can manually select the mode on the fly, or you can set a default for each input you create. If you don't select an upmixer, it will play a stereo signal as intended including a sub if the L/R speakers have a crossover.
Hi Duckymomo,

Thanks for the various replies.

When you mentioned the L/R having a crossover, I assume you’re talking about the speaker configuration. Thus, if I configure the L/R speakers to Large (Cutoff frequency 40Hz) on the L/R output and a single sub on the LFE output, a digital stereo signal would create an analog stereo signal to L/R outputs (40Hz and above), and create a down mixed mono analog signal to the LFE output (40Hz and below)?

Again, I really appreciate your help.
post #2487 of 3059 Old 11-19-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Duckymomo,

Thanks for the various replies.

When you mentioned the L/R having a crossover, I assume you’re talking about the speaker configuration. Thus, if I configure the L/R speakers to Large (Cutoff frequency 40Hz) on the L/R output and a single sub on the LFE output, a digital stereo signal would create an analog stereo signal to L/R outputs (40Hz and above), and create a down mixed mono analog signal to the LFE output (40Hz and below)?

Again, I really appreciate your help.
Yes. The LFE output plays the LFE channel if present + redirected bass from the speakers.

post #2488 of 3059 Old 11-19-2018, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Set-Up question : do I need to match the gain level on all speakers before running the RP or does RP sets it automatically.
post #2489 of 3059 Old 11-21-2018, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Yes. The LFE output plays the LFE channel if present + redirected bass from the speakers.
If I have 2 subwoofers both placed in the front. The LCR are all set to large (40HZ) and all the other speakers are 80HZ. Should I set up the system with L and R subwoofers or use a splitter and set them as LFE?
post #2490 of 3059 Old 11-22-2018, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Version 3.0.9 is out!

It fixes, amongst others, the <30Hz issue that myself and others have been complaining about.

RoomPerfect is finally, ehm, PERFECT!

Now I have +/-5dB from 10Hz - 200Hz :-) Before I had a 10dB drop already at 20Hz. Gone.

No need to redo the calibration as the MP-50 only stores the measurements only and does the corrections "on the fly" based on that.

This is according to Lyngdorf support and I can confirm this is the case.

Just upgrade to 3.0.9 and finally you can experience proper (still tight but now linear) LF in your subs. At least the difference is huge in my system...

There is also a "loudness control" that I haven't seen before (??).

I will experiment and measure a bit more and post complete graphs by the end of the weekend.

Thank you Lyngdorf, best company around :-)

cheers,

Erik

Good to see regular updates from them. I'm updating now.
Just curious, should we re do the calibration if bass response changed? (For the "perfect" sake)

JVC X9900 | Stewart FH G4 | Pioneer LX800 | Lyngdorf MP50 | ATI6007 | KEF R series | SVS SB16ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page