Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 84 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1279Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2491 of 3168 Old 11-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Member
 
arisholm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeingdriver View Post
Good to see regular updates from them. I'm updating now.
Just curious, should we re do the calibration if bass response changed? (For the "perfect" sake)
There is no need to redo the calibration; because the measurement process will be the same and the new corrections are calculated based on whatever measurements you already made. I did it anyways, only takes an hour or so
arisholm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2492 of 3168 Old 11-27-2018, 07:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help on setting the OPPO 93 and MP-50. Finished the RP and tried to play Dolby Atmos using OPPO 93. However, MP-50 shows ( OSD ) as DD 5.1.0. Looks like I am missing a setup step. Any advise.
KE-Houston is offline  
post #2493 of 3168 Old 11-28-2018, 01:06 AM
Member
 
elvinps2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-Houston View Post
Need help on setting the OPPO 93 and MP-50. Finished the RP and tried to play Dolby Atmos using OPPO 93. However, MP-50 shows ( OSD ) as DD 5.1.0. Looks like I am missing a setup step. Any advise.
a quick google search and found this it can help
https://www.oppodigital.com.au/blogs...or-dolby-atmos

Also found thus on the oppo 93 thread, it is from 2014 so they might have fix it.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...hread-911.html

I don't own a Lyngdorf mp-50 so cant help you on the preamp part. Hopefully with the first link you can have it working.
elvinps2626 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2494 of 3168 Old 11-29-2018, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,661
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3082 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-Houston View Post
Need help on setting the OPPO 93 and MP-50. Finished the RP and tried to play Dolby Atmos using OPPO 93. However, MP-50 shows ( OSD ) as DD 5.1.0. Looks like I am missing a setup step. Any advise.
If you tap the Info button on the Oppo while playing the movie, what does it say for the audio format?

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #2495 of 3168 Old 12-01-2018, 11:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks Roger, my Projetor is JVC 4K shift, not native 4K, could that be the problem? I changed the Vedio input on MP-50 from HDCP 2.2 ( default) to HDMI 1.4, now I am getting the picture, earlier picture was there, but, it was all in green wash. Not sure what is contributing. Will wait till JVC's Native 4K become easily available to upgrade.
KE-Houston is offline  
post #2496 of 3168 Old 12-07-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Could definitely feel a difference since the RP update, I finally got around to measuring it. Pretty big improvement of ~10dBs <20Hz.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RP update.png
Views:	516
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	2493188  

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
duckymomo is offline  
post #2497 of 3168 Old 12-09-2018, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Forgot to add that I've tested 12+ processors/receivers in my room and always come back to the Lyngdorf. I think now it really is "perfect".
normandia likes this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
duckymomo is offline  
post #2498 of 3168 Old 12-10-2018, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,361
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
Forgot to add that I've tested 12+ processors/receivers in my room and always come back to the Lyngdorf. I think now it really is "perfect".
Wow! Would you care to list them? No real reason other than so that I can vicariously enjoy them as well.
artur9 is offline  
post #2499 of 3168 Old 12-10-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Wow! Would you care to list them? No real reason other than so that I can vicariously enjoy them as well.
I'll try:

Arcam AVR550
Arcam AVR390
Emotiva XMC-1
NAD T758v3
NAD T777v3
Anthem MRX720
Anthem MRX1120
Anthem AVM60
Denon X4300H
Denon X6300H
Marantz SR6012
Yamaha RX-A3070
Yamaha RX-A1060
Lyngdorf TDAI-2170
Lyngdorf MP-50
BassMojo likes this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
duckymomo is offline  
post #2500 of 3168 Old 12-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Member
 
mj13young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
I'll try:

Arcam AVR550
Arcam AVR390
Emotiva XMC-1
NAD T758v3
NAD T777v3
Anthem MRX720
Anthem MRX1120
Anthem AVM60
Denon X4300H
Denon X6300H
Marantz SR6012
Yamaha RX-A3070
Yamaha RX-A1060
Lyngdorf TDAI-2170
Lyngdorf MP-50
Hi, I assume that at least one of these had Dirac (Emotiva XMC-1)? If so did you set up your system with Dirac? How does Dirac compare to RP? Is Dirac 90% of RP, or did RP completely blow Dirac out of the water? What about ease of setup? Thanks in advance.
mj13young is offline  
post #2501 of 3168 Old 12-12-2018, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 23,258
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Interesting comparison review of Anthem AVM-60, Lexicon MC-10, NAD M17V2 and Lyngdorf MP-50:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...l#post57262144

Noah
noah katz is online now  
post #2502 of 3168 Old 12-12-2018, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,661
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3082 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-Houston View Post
Thanks Roger, my Projector is JVC 4K shift, not native 4K, could that be the problem?
No. The HDMI's EDID is the same for both -- 4k video is supported. Of course, the Oppo 93 will not provide anything above 2K. My Oppo 93 feeds the RS520 just fine with HD video, and Atmos audio goes to the processor.

Quote:
I changed the Vedio input on MP-50 from HDCP 2.2 ( default) to HDMI 1.4, now I am getting the picture, earlier picture was there, but, it was all in green wash. Not sure what is contributing. Will wait till JVC's Native 4K become easily available to upgrade.
Did you resolve the audio problem you mentioned:
Quote:
tried to play Dolby Atmos using OPPO 93. However, MP-50 shows ( OSD ) as DD 5.1.0

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #2503 of 3168 Old 12-18-2018, 02:21 AM
Member
 
ali123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Blaine WA
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If anyone wants one I have one for sale. Please PM me.
ali123 is offline  
post #2504 of 3168 Old 12-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Member
 
mj13young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali123 View Post
If anyone wants one I have one for sale. Please PM me.
Hi,

Is this your personal unit? If so, why are you selling it?

Thanks for the information, I am considering this pre/pro and I am trying to get personal feedback from various users.

Note, I live in Europe thus it is not practical to buy your MP-50.
mj13young is offline  
post #2505 of 3168 Old 12-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Member
 
ali123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Blaine WA
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj13young View Post
Hi,

Is this your personal unit? If so, why are you selling it?

Thanks for the information, I am considering this pre/pro and I am trying to get personal feedback from various users.

Note, I live in Europe thus it is not practical to buy your MP-50.

PM'd you
ali123 is offline  
post #2506 of 3168 Old 12-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
shah993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-Houston View Post
Thanks Roger, my Projetor is JVC 4K shift, not native 4K, could that be the problem? I changed the Vedio input on MP-50 from HDCP 2.2 ( default) to HDMI 1.4, now I am getting the picture, earlier picture was there, but, it was all in green wash. Not sure what is contributing. Will wait till JVC's Native 4K become easily available to upgrade.
Hi!
Read your post about the JVC and MP 50.I am thinking of buying the MP 50 and do have the JVC RS 520.I have the Oppo 103.Do you think that would make a difference?
Thanks,

Equipment list:Anthem Statement dv2 3D,Anthem avm 60,JVC RS 520,Martin Logan SL speakers,Bryston amps for lcr and surrounds,Anthem four channel amp for in ceilings,IS 110" screen,Lutron for lights,Oppo 203 DVD,SimpleControl remote.HSU-15 sub.
shah993 is offline  
post #2507 of 3168 Old 12-26-2018, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali123 View Post
If anyone wants one I have one for sale. Please PM me.
Hello,

My post count is too small to PM, but I'm really interested in purchasing your Lyngdorf MP50. Let me know - cheers
no_cure is online now  
post #2508 of 3168 Old 12-27-2018, 05:55 AM
Member
 
mj13young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

Does anyone use single ended amps (RCA connectors) with the MP-50? If so what cables/adapters did you use? Where did you purchase the cables/adapters? I would like to purchase the MP-50, but all of my amps are single ended, thus significantly driving the cost of switching over. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
mj13young is offline  
post #2509 of 3168 Old 12-27-2018, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,661
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3082 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj13young View Post
Does anyone use single ended amps (RCA connectors) with the MP-50? If so what cables/adapters did you use?
I have used these but have not tried them with the MP-50 specifically. Cannot see why they would not work.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #2510 of 3168 Old 12-28-2018, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
normandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 138
While I use XLR for all amps, I use an XLR to RCA converter for my subs, which only have RCA inputs without any issues. I've had them so long, I don't recall what they are, but will try to research.

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
normandia is offline  
post #2511 of 3168 Old 12-29-2018, 09:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carmel Valley California
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dolby Atmos working sporadically with MP-50 and Oppo 203

Recently I have noticed that the Dolby Atmos light on the MP-50 is not illuminated when playing 4K movies with Dolby Atmos. But if I power down my entire system, sometimes it will start working and the light will illuminate.

Example: Watching Mission Impossible Fallout 4K in the past week NO DOLBY ATMOS light on MP-50. I put in another 4K disc that was recently viewed (Zero Dark Thirty) where I know the Dolby Atmos had worked in the past - and still no Dolby Atmos light.

I powered the entire system down, waited a minute, powered up and the Dolby Atmos light illuminated on the MP-50 for Zero Dark Thirty. No matter what I did - I could not get the Dolby Atmos light to illuminate for Mission Impossible.

Oppo 203 Settings: I have Audio Output set to "Auto" - but I tried "Bitstream" and got the same results. Secondary Audio is "Off".

My HDMI Cables are brand new and seem securely plugged in.

Both the MP-50 and Oppo 203 have the latest software updates.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Is it the Oppo or Lyngdorf MP-50?

I have been in contact with Lyngdorf about this issue, but they are in holiday mode.



HELP PLEASE.

Last edited by J.L. Todd; 12-29-2018 at 09:27 AM.
J.L. Todd is offline  
post #2512 of 3168 Old 12-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
DrMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 753
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L. Todd View Post
Dolby Atmos working sporadically with MP-50 and Oppo 203

Recently I have noticed that the Dolby Atmos light on the MP-50 is not illuminated when playing 4K movies with Dolby Atmos. But if I power down my entire system, sometimes it will start working and the light will illuminate.

Example: Watching Mission Impossible Fallout 4K in the past week NO DOLBY ATMOS light on MP-50. I put in another 4K disc that was recently viewed (Zero Dark Thirty) where I know the Dolby Atmos had worked in the past - and still no Dolby Atmos light.

I powered the entire system down, waited a minute, powered up and the Dolby Atmos light illuminated on the MP-50 for Zero Dark Thirty. No matter what I did - I could not get the Dolby Atmos light to illuminate for Mission Impossible.

Oppo 203 Settings: I have Audio Output set to "Auto" - but I tried "Bitstream" and got the same results. Secondary Audio is "Off".

My HDMI Cables are brand new and seem securely plugged in.

Both the MP-50 and Oppo 203 have the latest software updates.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Is it the Oppo or Lyngdorf MP-50?

I have been in contact with Lyngdorf about this issue, but they are in holiday mode.



HELP PLEASE.
I actually have this same issue with my MX160... it won’t read the Atmos signal in almost half of my 4K discs. If I change the post processing to anything other than “none” and then back to “none” the system reads the Atmos. Mission impossible fallout was a disc that wouldn’t read. I also use an Oppo 203.
G-Rex likes this.
DrMichael is offline  
post #2513 of 3168 Old 12-29-2018, 12:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carmel Valley California
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
I actually have this same issue with my MX160... it won’t read the Atmos signal in almost half of my 4K discs. If I change the post processing to anything other than “none” and then back to “none” the system reads the Atmos. Mission impossible fallout was a disc that wouldn’t read. I also use an Oppo 203.
Very interesting.

Changing the Post Processing on the MP-50 fixed the problem - even for Mission Impossible (MI).

For example, initially Dolby Atmos was not working on the MP-50 when playing MI. I turned Post Processing to "Dolby Upmixer" and Dolby Atmos turned on. Even when I turned Post Processing back to "None", Dolby Atmos stayed on for MI.

This makes no sense to me - but at least this seems like a manual work around.

By default, I keep Post Processing set to "None" - I watch mostly 4K HDR movies (ideally with Dolby Atmos). I'm not sure what the optimal setting should be. Thoughts?

Last edited by J.L. Todd; 12-29-2018 at 12:53 PM.
J.L. Todd is offline  
post #2514 of 3168 Old 12-29-2018, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 23,258
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L. Todd View Post
By default, I keep Post Processing set to "None" - I watch mostly 4K HDR movies (ideally with Dolby Atmos). I'm not sure what the optimal setting should be. Thoughts?

Seems to me that w/default = none, you're wasting the height speakers, since not all 4k movies are Atmos.

Noah
noah katz is online now  
post #2515 of 3168 Old 12-29-2018, 02:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carmel Valley California
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Seems to me that w/default = none, you're wasting the height speakers, since not all 4k movies are Atmos.
I didn't realize that - thanks.

What would be the best Post Processing setting for the Lyngdorf MP-50?

Speaker Configuration:

Fronts - B&W 803 D3
Center - B&W HTM1 D3
Atmos Height Speakers - SVS Prime Elevation
Surround - B&W 804 D3

Last edited by J.L. Todd; 12-29-2018 at 02:36 PM.
J.L. Todd is offline  
post #2516 of 3168 Old 12-31-2018, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 23,258
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Either Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X upmixing.

Which one is a matter of personal preference and particular soundtrack.

Noah
noah katz is online now  
post #2517 of 3168 Old 12-31-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,404
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Can you tell me which upmixer do you prefer, the Dolby upmixer or Neural X upmixer and why?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is online now  
post #2518 of 3168 Old 12-31-2018, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
normandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Can you tell me which upmixer do you prefer, the Dolby upmixer or Neural X upmixer and why?

You can decide your personal preference, but it seems obvious to me that for movies, use the upmixer that the studio used: Dolby for Atmos and other Dolby variations, Nerual X for DTS and their variations, and Auro3D for Auro mixed discs (rare in US, but perhaps not for you).
For music on the other hand, Dolby seems the most "subtle" enhancement for lack of other descriptors, Neural X is quite dramatic (at least to me) and for 2 channel music does some interesting things, that you may or may not like. (many do like this). Same for Auro3D, but that depends on the speaker system you have.
Just experiment. You may like different combos for multi-channel music, stereo music, CD, SACD, DVD-A etc. For me, the more the music is mastered, the less I like to further enhance it, but that is just me.



I've actually enjoyed replaying music discs with different upmixer just for the delight of it.

Now add on top of the the choices for Music/Music2/...your own custom curves...and you can listen to your collection in countless ways.
Choice is good, but choice requires one to choose.

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
normandia is offline  
post #2519 of 3168 Old 12-31-2018, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 23,258
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandia View Post
You can decide your personal preference, but it seems obvious to me that for movies, use the upmixer that the studio used: Dolby for Atmos and other Dolby variations, Nerual X for DTS and their variations, and Auro3D for Auro mixed discs (rare in US, but perhaps not for you).

It's not obvious to me that when the soundtrack isn't native Atmos nor DTS:X that the other upmixer won't work just as well or better.

Many, myself included, prefer Neural:X for all movie upmixing.
G-Rex likes this.

Noah
noah katz is online now  
post #2520 of 3168 Old 12-31-2018, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,404
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
It's not obvious to me that when the soundtrack isn't native Atmos nor DTS:X that the other upmixer won't work just as well or better.

Many, myself included, prefer Neural:X for all movie upmixing.
noah I also believe that the "other" upmixer can work just as well if one doesnt use the native one.
I usually prefer the Dolby upmixer for everything as in my room it seems to create a much larger sound stage than Neural X.

I wonder if the "room" plays alot on one upmixer over the other....I really dont know and nothing seems to be written on the subject...

Can I ask "you" why you prefer to use Neural X for everything over the Dolby upmixer please, Im very interested in peoples thoughts?

I would really love to know how the two actually differ???

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off