Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1238Likes

post #2551 of 3013 Old 01-22-2019, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj13young View Post
My question is, how does it sound in your primary listening position (stereo and multichannel)? Do you notice this bump? Thanks
Well I haven't had the time to test this extensively though, but so far the sound Is really good. I can't hear any bumps as of right now. So the Umik+Rew readings isn't making much sense to me right now. I'll update you further after som more testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 3013 Old 01-23-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 5546 Post(s)
Liked: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT JLT View Post
** Dolby Vision Lyngdorf MP-50 **

This may be a dumb question, but how do I know if Dolby Vision is being passed through the Lyngdorf MP-50?

Is there an LED indicator like there is for DTS and Atmos?

I have Sony Z9D 65" TV, and when I watch a Dolby Vision show via Netflix, it temporarily displays the Dolby Vision icon.
You must rely on the Sony to indicate DV. Because the MP-50 can only pass DV at 2160p30 max you must set the Oppo to 2160p24 manually.

I connect the Oppo directly to the display with the HDMI Audio Out connecting directly to the display. This also allows me to connect the PS4 to the HDMI In on the Oppo and pass 2160p60 HDR10.

-- Utilizing Google voice recoginition. Please excuse any errors.
post #2553 of 3013 Old 01-31-2019, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
Anyone here done measurements with REW after calibration? I know RP doesn't aim for a completely flat response, but I've got a nasty 15 db bump at 42Hz, and after measuring with REW after a calibration, RP has barely done anything with the bump.
Seems really strange, I've tried multiple calibrations, and also after a reset. Same thing every time. A faulty mic perhaps?
You will see many REW measurements in earlier posts on this forum. RP should clearly attenuate a 15 dB bump at 42Hz (standing wave?).
To troubleshoot: I suggest you perform two measurements with REW; one with RP active, and one with RP in bypass.
Can you post the graphs?
In most rooms there should be a fairly substantial difference below 200Hz...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2554 of 3013 Old 01-31-2019, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I just set up my MP50 and overall it sounds amazing. One issue that has arose. When I go to set the subwoofer level, I do not hear any sound coming out of the subwoofer. I do hear sounds from the subwoofer when I go to the verify speakers. I have a L and R subwoofer connected to Aux 1 and Aux 2. Does anyone know what is going on with this?
post #2555 of 3013 Old 01-31-2019, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I have the same result when I recently set up L/R subs. The sub level check is apparently only for the LFE channel, which in your case should be directed to L/R subs if you don't have a dedicated LFE sub (like I do). In verify speakers, it is sending signals to L/R so you should get sub sounds (the lower end of the L/R signals).

You might check by placing the Aux 1 and/or Aux 2 connections to the LFE channel and then see what happens during sub check, just to check this out.

Even with my dedicated LFE, I get no sound either with the sub check. However, when I first set up the system, there was a sub sound signal (but no L/R subs), and I was curious as to whether this change occurred on some update. During movies, however, there is LFE.

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
post #2556 of 3013 Old 01-31-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Anyone here done measurements with REW after calibration? I know RP doesn't aim for a completely flat response, but I've got a nasty 15 db bump at 42Hz, and after measuring with REW after a calibration, RP has barely done anything with the bump.
Seems really strange, I've tried multiple calibrations, and also after a reset. Same thing every time. A faulty mic perhaps?
I wonder if the way you're doing the calibrations, RP doesn't hear the bump? Or thinks it part of the speaker's sound signature?
post #2557 of 3013 Old 01-31-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
I just set up my MP50 and overall it sounds amazing. One issue that has arose. When I go to set the subwoofer level, I do not hear any sound coming out of the subwoofer. I do hear sounds from the subwoofer when I go to the verify speakers. I have a L and R subwoofer connected to Aux 1 and Aux 2. Does anyone know what is going on with this?
If you use Aux1-2 or Aux1-4 for subs you need to level/gain match them manually, by adjusting the input sensitivity on the subs. Using REW or similar is one option. In that case just run a test signal to the left and/or right channel and adjust the sensitivity until "most" of the output level below your selected crossover (fed to the subs) is slightly above the output level above the crossover (fed to the main L/R speaker). Then run RP.

Or, if you do not have a way to measure with REW, just try to match reasonably well by ear, by playing some familiar music. Perhaps, start with a -10dB setting on the subs... It will not be perfect but probably close enough since RP as part of the calibration will adjust the frequency response and gains of each channel in the digital domain. But it should ideally be "reasonably close" before running RP (to ensure sufficient headroom for the filters within the upper and lower bounds of adjustments that RP works within). You can always double-check afterwards by looking at the gain adjustments made by RP for each channel. If the RP adjusted sub gains (as reported on the "LFE RP Level" are way off compared with the L/R front channels, then adjust the input sensitivity of each sub up or down roughly by half of the gain difference, and re-run RP. Again, not perfect, but perfect enough since RP will compensate for all but very severe deviations...
Marc Alexander likes this.

Last edited by arisholm; 01-31-2019 at 03:05 PM.
post #2558 of 3013 Old 02-01-2019, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisholm View Post
If you use Aux1-2 or Aux1-4 for subs you need to level/gain match them manually, by adjusting the input sensitivity on the subs. Using REW or similar is one option. In that case just run a test signal to the left and/or right channel and adjust the sensitivity until "most" of the output level below your selected crossover (fed to the subs) is slightly above the output level above the crossover (fed to the main L/R speaker). Then run RP.

Or, if you do not have a way to measure with REW, just try to match reasonably well by ear, by playing some familiar music. Perhaps, start with a -10dB setting on the subs... It will not be perfect but probably close enough since RP as part of the calibration will adjust the frequency response and gains of each channel in the digital domain. But it should ideally be "reasonably close" before running RP (to ensure sufficient headroom for the filters within the upper and lower bounds of adjustments that RP works within). You can always double-check afterwards by looking at the gain adjustments made by RP for each channel. If the RP adjusted sub gains (as reported on the "LFE RP Level" are way off compared with the L/R front channels, then adjust the input sensitivity of each sub up or down roughly by half of the gain difference, and re-run RP. Again, not perfect, but perfect enough since RP will compensate for all but very severe deviations...

Good advice.
You may want to run a "practice" RP using just a few positions (or even just the MLP?) to check the sub levels before running a full RP. I would think that would be sufficient to see if these levels are close and make it easier to adjust sub levels before rerunning.
arisholm likes this.

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
post #2559 of 3013 Old 03-01-2019, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
New mp50 owner here. Firmware on 3.09

Hooked up the subs to the auxiliary channels 1&2 , disabled LFE (so stereo bass and LFE both routed to subs) 125hz Low pass filtered on auxiliary channels. and here is what I found

The blue line shows subs, using channel 3 on REW, MV -20, with centre channel amplifier muted.

The green is also subs only, using channel 4 on rew, but MV-30 on MP50 (since LFE channel has a +10db)

Do you experience this ? Seems like RP is still attenuating gain <20hz, on the LFE channel

Using seatons F18 master slave pair

Anyone ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2560 of 3013 Old 03-02-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronildoq View Post

Hooked up the subs to the auxiliary channels 1&2 , disabled LFE (so stereo bass and LFE both routed to subs) 125hz Low pass filtered on auxiliary channels
Please use the Capture button in REW instead of taking pictures of the screen. It's the Camera icon above left of the graph, IIRC.

Can you look at the waterfall and see if maybe it's trying to address ringing?
post #2561 of 3013 Old 03-02-2019, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 767
I don't know the current f/w number, but not too long ago there was an update to address that exact issue.

Noah
post #2562 of 3013 Old 03-03-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:

Hooked up the subs to the auxiliary channels 1&2 , disabled LFE (so stereo bass and LFE both routed to subs) 125hz Low pass filtered on auxiliary channels. and here is what I found

The blue line shows subs, using channel 3 on REW, MV -20, with centre channel amplifier muted.

The green is also subs only, using channel 4 on rew, but MV-30 on MP50 (since LFE channel has a +10db)

Do you experience this ? Seems like RP is still attenuating gain <20hz, on the LFE channel

Anyone ?

Strange, it does look like the old -12dB attenuation at 20Hz... But I measured recently and got a very nice and flat curve on the LFE down to about 16Hz, down to 13Hz at -6dB, which is what I can expect from my subs. With FW 3.09. Can you try with only one sub at the time, e.g. channel 4 with only one sub, and compare with channel 1 in REW? Is it not the same or similar in that case?? Also double check you speaker config - it is very easy to forget the "save" button on the MP-50 after you change the config ;-)

Last edited by arisholm; 03-03-2019 at 05:20 AM.
post #2563 of 3013 Old 03-03-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Please use the Capture button in REW instead of taking pictures of the screen. It's the Camera icon above left of the graph, IIRC.

Can you look at the waterfall and see if maybe it's trying to address ringing?

Ok here is a much clearer view

Spectrogram here when measuring channel 3, bass management is working fine

Here is the one on LFE

It kinda don’t make sense to attenuate LFE <30hz as seen above, I don’t think it’s got anything to do with ringing. Below the 20hz range it’s all about the tactile feedback.

Maybe I’ll try connecting both subs to the LFE input, see if that solves the problem. I noticed the deep bass is missing , that’s when I started measuring the LFE channel 4 on REW to confirm

post #2564 of 3013 Old 03-03-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Strange, it does look like the old -12dB attenuation at 20Hz... But I measured recently and got a very nice and flat curve on the LFE down to about 16Hz, down to 13Hz at -6dB, which is what I can expect from my subs. With FW 3.09. Can you try with only one sub at the time, e.g. channel 4 with only one sub, and compare with channel 1 in REW? Is it not the same or similar in that case?? Also double check you speaker config - it is very easy to forget the "save" button on the MP-50 after you change the config ;-)

The problem went away when I switched off RP.

Do u notice any deep bass missing ? I could tell immediately the SPLs were like non existence and ear pressure missing

A lot of heavy midbass though , timing is very good, fast and I could feel the transient Attack improve leaps and bounds

Are u using the ddrc88a and then the auxiliary channels ? Or everything goes straight to the auxiliary channel ?

post #2565 of 3013 Old 03-03-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
The problem went away when I switched off RP.

Do u notice any deep bass missing ? I could tell immediately the SPLs were like non existence and ear pressure missing

A lot of heavy midbass though , timing is very good, fast and I could feel the transient Attack improve leaps and bounds

Are u using the ddrc88a and then the auxiliary channels ? Or everything goes straight to the auxiliary channel ?

Well your results run counter to what I thought had been fixed and as I said I even measured that this problem was gone, but there are so many different configs... I've just (today) reconfigured my setup so now I have a pair of stereo subs up front (aux 1-2) and a pair of rear corner subs sharing the LFE duty (from the LFE output). Not using the DDRC anymore as I did a while back with 4x mono subs. I have not recalibrated with RP yet, but once I do I will check this and post.

Last edited by arisholm; 03-03-2019 at 10:59 AM.
post #2566 of 3013 Old 03-03-2019, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well your results run counter to what I thought had been fixed and as I said I even measured that this problem was gone, but there are so many different configs... I've just (today) reconfigured my setup so now I have a pair of stereo subs up front (aux 1-2) and a pair of rear corner subs sharing the LFE duty (from the LFE output). Not using the DDRC anymore as I did a while back with 4x mono subs. I have not recalibrated with RP yet, but once I do I will check this and post.

I'd be interested in this setup as I have done the same exact setup with my subs with the 2 LFEs near the rear corners.

post #2567 of 3013 Old 03-03-2019, 10:29 PM

Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles

Guys, here is what is happening when room perfect is set to bypass.

Subwoofer channel all being constant , the only difference is a change in MV on mp50

Measuring channel 4 lfe (in blue), MV-30 on mp50, it shows 74.3db at 40hz

Measuring channel 3 (in green) MV-30, it shows 80.7db at 40hz (centre amplifier muted)

The one in brown shows channel 3 MV-20, it shows 90.8 at 40hz (centre channel amp muted)

Now the increase in volume from -30 to -20 is consistent here on channel 3, ie bass is routed correct and corresponds with the gain settings on master volume

But look at the LFE channel, it is not balanced. Technically the LFE channel should be +10db louder than channel 3, but instead it is 5db louder only. So I believe that +5db is stereo bass routed from mains. But where is that +10db on the LFE track ?

Also u will notice when I switch off RP, it doesn’t attenuate bass below 30hz anymore....

I’m going to try and use the LFE preout channel instead of the auxiliary channels for subs

I believe the auxiliary channels are good for small midbass subs, or boundary woofers that can handle bass up to 800hz...

Definitely not ideal when connecting the deep bass F18 seatons to this channel

Or could it be a firmware issue or bug?

The ULF is definitely missing

Last edited by ronildoq; 03-03-2019 at 10:52 PM.
post #2568 of 3013 Old 03-04-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Guys, here is what is happening when room perfect is set to bypass.

Subwoofer channel all being constant , the only difference is a change in MV on mp50

Measuring channel 4 lfe (in blue), MV-30 on mp50, it shows 74.3db at 40hz

Measuring channel 3 (in green) MV-30, it shows 80.7db at 40hz (centre amplifier muted)

The one in brown shows channel 3 MV-20, it shows 90.8 at 40hz (centre channel amp muted)

Now the increase in volume from -30 to -20 is consistent here on channel 3, ie bass is routed correct and corresponds with the gain settings on master volume

But look at the LFE channel, it is not balanced. Technically the LFE channel should be +10db louder than channel 3, but instead it is 5db louder only. So I believe that +5db is stereo bass routed from mains. But where is that +10db on the LFE track ?

Also u will notice when I switch off RP, it doesn’t attenuate bass below 30hz anymore....

I’m going to try and use the LFE preout channel instead of the auxiliary channels for subs

I believe the auxiliary channels are good for small midbass subs, or boundary woofers that can handle bass up to 800hz...

Definitely not ideal when connecting the deep bass F18 seatons to this channel

Or could it be a firmware issue or bug?

The ULF is definitely missing

Since FW 3.09 I've had plenty of ULF on the Aux1-4 outputs, not like your subs of course but no significant rolloff. And about 10dB increase for the LFE.
Here it is: https://www.avforums.com/threads/lyn...#post-26655806
So not sure what's going on here. It will take me some time to recalibrate but I will eventually check this with my new config.

cheers!
post #2569 of 3013 Old 03-05-2019, 04:16 AM

ok, ive decided to switch to use DDRC88a to handle the bass EQ using Dirac, then send that EQ'ed signal to the LFE on the Lyngdorf, let RP handle the bass integration with mains.

Lets see what LFE is doing on the Lyngdorf. Pretty sure something wrong with the auxiliary channels when used with subs, i think the aux is good for those boundary woofers that plays up to 800hz

ULF definitely missing when connected to aux
post #2570 of 3013 Old 03-05-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 817
I have been busy gathering up all my components for an elevation and wides speaker upgrade. I have all the necessary amps and 5 of the needed 6 or 7 EW speakers. The remaining 2 EW speakers will be built shortly.

Has anyone (especially @Marc Alexander ) tried the MP50 with left/right/center height channels? If so, what are the results, particularly with the center height? I have a void above my screen that I would like to fill with sound if possible, especially in light of the fact that I have one extra McIntosh amp channel available, and possibly one extra speaker. The center height speaker would be about 10’ or so above the listener, located 18” above the top of the screen. I would rather only run a center height channel (vs a right/left height) due to an easier central location of one speaker above the screen (dealing with an angled ceiling) and because I only have 1 amp Channel and 1 extra speaker available.

I assume the center height channel is matrixed, but from which speakers? Thinking of running a typical 7.1 base layer plus 4 atmos speakers, matrixed wides (and a center height in the future perhaps with the next MX or MP50, as the 160 I believe can not run this total configuration with the added center height channel. I will be wiring soon, and may just install the center height now for the future...if that speaker makes sense and is feasible from a processor standpoint in the future. If it will bring poor results or is not feasible, I will forgo the install of this speaker.

Thanks!

Last edited by G-Rex; 03-05-2019 at 01:56 PM.
post #2571 of 3013 Old 03-05-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
I have been busy gathering up all my components for an elevation and wides speaker upgrade. I have all the necessary amps and 5 of the needed 6 or 7 EW speakers. The remaining 2 EW speakers will be built shortly.

Has anyone (especially @Marc Alexander ) tried the MP50 with left/right/center height channels? If so, what are the results, particularly with the center height? I have a void above my screen that I would like to fill with sound if possible, especially in light of the fact that I have one extra McIntosh amp channel available, and possibly one extra speaker. The center height speaker would be about 10’ or so above the listener, located 18” above the top of the screen. I would rather only run a center height channel (vs a right/left height) due to an easier central location of one speaker above the screen (dealing with an angled ceiling) and because I only have 1 amp Channel and 1 extra speaker available.

I assume the center height channel is matrixed, but from which speakers? Thinking of running a typical 7.1 base layer plus 4 atmos speakers, matrixed wides (and a center height in the future perhaps with the next MX or MP50, as the 160 I believe can not run this total configuration with the added center height channel. I will be wiring soon, and may just install the center height now for the future...if that speaker makes sense and is feasible from a processor standpoint in the future. If it will bring poor results or is not feasible, I will forgo the install of this speaker.

Thanks!
I have not tried the Height Center option. It hasn't been worth my time/trouble. AFAIK it is never matrixed. It will only be utilized as one of the 11 DISCRETE channels. In the Speaker Configuration, matrixed channels will be dimmed. LW, RW, LTM, and RTM are the only supported matrixed channels at this time. It is used natively by Auro3D 11.1 (along with TOP/VoG). I have been told that it is utilized much more than VoG (which isn't saying much). Atmos supports HC, but you sacrifice Rear Surrounds to configure it in the MP-50. It will not allow you to configure a mono Center Back/Rear, only TOP/VoG in conjuction with HC. How a Center Height is utilized with Auromatic and Neural X would be interesting.

What is your planned speaker layout (or your options)?
post #2572 of 3013 Old 03-05-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I have not tried the Height Center option. It hasn't been worth my time/trouble. AFAIK it is never matrixed. It will only be utilized as one of the 11 DISCRETE channels. In the Speaker Configuration, matrixed channels will be dimmed. LW, RW, LTM, and RTM are the only supported matrixed channels at this time. It is used natively by Auro3D 11.1 (along with TOP/VoG). I have been told that it is utilized much more than VoG (which isn't saying much). Atmos supports HC, but you sacrifice Rear Surrounds to configure it in the MP-50. It will not allow you to configure a mono Center Back/Rear, only TOP/VoG in conjuction with HC. How a Center Height is utilized with Auromatic and Neural X would be interesting.

What is your planned speaker layout (or your options)?
Thanks for the reply Marc... very interesting. I am not only planning for the current gen of MX160/MP50, but also planning with an eye on the possible next version of these processors. I would hope there would be additional channels available with added flexibility.

For the current version, I am planning to do a traditional 7.1 base layer plus matrixed wides with 4 Atmos speakers. The question is, with an eye on the future, should I go ahead and install this Center Height for future use since I have an extra amp and possibly one extra speaker available? Without going into great detail, the decision on whether to install the Center Height speaker will impact how I place my forthcoming EW speaker order.

I have also reading up on Dual/Mirrored Centers, but it seems only Trinnov has that option (not sure about Datasat). This would have anchored dialogue right in the center of my non-acoustically transparent screen. Probably I should forgo Dual Centers regardless because a top Mirrored Center would be very high up (approx 18” above the top of the screen and 11’ above the listener).

Last edited by G-Rex; 03-05-2019 at 04:39 PM.
post #2573 of 3013 Old 03-05-2019, 06:52 PM

!

Quote:
In most cases subwoofers should be connected to the LFE channel. Only use the aux subs if you are adhering to Lyngdorf's boundary sub guidelines.

Do you have two pairs of F18 master slave pairs? I used to own this system with 1 single master & 3 passive and loved it. (It's a long story how I had to sell but I am back in the ULF game now). How are the F18s placed in the room? If you only have a single master, you need to be using the LFE output. If a single master, I don't understand how you are connecting to the auxiliary output(s) (which could be behind your measurements). The aux subwoofers are always deployed in L/R pairs as far as the MP50 is concerned. You can get around this with a miniDSP or similar but it is only necessary in rare circumstances.

Would you mind sharing some more details regarding your setup scenario and goals?
post #2574 of 3013 Old 03-05-2019, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 767
@G-Rex ,

Couple of thoughts:

Combine the R/L TF outputs to drive the center front height channel.

If the reason is to raise the dialog, drive the center front height channel with the regular C output.

You could probably get by with a small mid/woofer to cover dialog frequencies.
Marc Alexander and G-Rex like this.

Noah
post #2575 of 3013 Old 03-05-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Marc... very interesting. I am not only planning for the current gen of MX160/MP50, but also planning with an eye on the possible next version of these processors. I would hope there would be additional channels available with added flexibility.

For the current version, I am planning to do a traditional 7.1 base layer plus matrixed wides with 4 Atmos speakers. The question is, with an eye on the future, should I go ahead and install this Center Height for future use since I have an extra amp and possibly one extra speaker available? Without going into great detail, the decision on whether to install the Center Height speaker will impact how I place my forthcoming EW speaker order.
What are the room dimensions and the distances between L&R speakers?
post #2576 of 3013 Old 03-05-2019, 07:31 PM

I've been away from the forum a few months and I'm finally catching up on this thread. Just adding to some old conversations where it seems appropriate.
Quote:
Does DSU and Neural:X support matrixed wides?
Matrixed wides are active 100% of the time, no matter the codec. The matrixed wide plays back a sum of the front and surround channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
No. It sets the gain level for all speakers, like every other RC system. This usually lowers the overall volume to preserve headroom and SNR, so you'll have to turn up the volume compared to having room correction off.
Most amplifiers expect +4dBu signal levels on their XLR inputs. The MP-50 outputs +18dBu (6.15Vrms) before clipping in my measurements. +12dBu (It's volume control limit is +20dB). Plenty of headroom to drive most amplifiers into clipping even after Room Perfect sets (attenuates) the channel gains. It has all the juice necessary to maximize the SNR of our systems.

Edit: Prior to running RoomPerfect (which attenuates channel levels), 0dB MV results in 12dBu (3.08Vrms).

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 03-18-2019 at 11:23 AM.
post #2577 of 3013 Old 03-05-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry for such a late reply and if this was already answered. Is this a subwoofer(s) with this 42Hz bump? Speakers? Both? What models? Do you have a measurement to share? Room Perfect corrects for the room, not the native response of your speakers. Use Voicings to adjust the frequency response as desired.

I've seen quite a few older ported subs (and many PA subs) ported between 40-50Hz which show huge boosts in this region (I own several). These make poor home theater subwoofers but great nearfield MBMs.
post #2578 of 3013 Old 03-05-2019, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
For the current version, I am planning to do a traditional 7.1 base layer plus matrixed wides with 4 Atmos speakers.

Be aware that when I use Neural:X with a 7.1 base layer and a DD5.1 feed, everything collapses to a 3.1 speaker setup.
It works fine with a 5.1 base layer.

It would probably be OK with a DTS feed but I have not tried it.
I'm having my dealer contact Lyngdorf on this.
post #2579 of 3013 Old 03-05-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
In most cases subwoofers should be connected to the LFE channel. Only use the aux subs if you are adhering to Lyngdorf's boundary sub guidelines.

Do you have two pairs of F18 master slave pairs? I used to own this system with 1 single master & 3 passive and loved it. (It's a long story how I had to sell but I am back in the ULF game now). How are the F18s placed in the room? If you only have a single master, you need to be using the LFE output. If a single master, I don't understand how you are connecting to the auxiliary output(s) (which could be behind your measurements). The aux subwoofers are always deployed in L/R pairs as far as the MP50 is concerned. You can get around this with a miniDSP or similar but it is only necessary in rare circumstances.

Would you mind sharing some more details regarding your setup scenario and goals?

Hi Marc, thanks for the reply. I’m using dual master slave f18, one master slave stacked in front boundary corner left, another master slave co-located at the right back of MLP 2.5m away. So I’ll be using a ddrc88a to find that perfect blend between the pair , then use RP to time align the subs and mains.

Gonna discard using the auxiliary connections for the f18, doesn’t work, pretty sure

I noticed that RP doesn’t really fix the phase as well as Dirac, See this no smoothing

One is Dirac in green, the other is RP in red.

But look at time domain measurements

That’s RP above

The one below is with Dirac EQ

I can confirm the transient Attack from the 18” subs is much improved, you can the decay rates are much improved with RP

noah katz likes this.
post #2580 of 3013 Old 03-05-2019, 09:14 PM

Here is my room, I’m using 7.4.8 set up in the hall. I use a xlr splitter to send the TOP front height signal to front height, they both share the same signal. So when putting in the distance on mp50, I use the acoustic timing reference feature on REW, until all channels perfectly aligned

Above the ceiling are BAD panels with echophon fiberglass backing, inside is stuffed with rockwool leaving 8cm air GAP for bass trap. Flanking the mains are SMT diffusor panels

Back of MLP is where the subs sit colocated and having a diffusor-bassTrap-diffusor combination

I have the top back height speakers tweeter firing behind MLP, and top centre tweeters firing left right towards smt panels placed at the surrounds

Sound stage is superb, I get a “phantom” wide channel. There is no need for Wide channels

The mp50 does a great job integrating the whole system, they are superb ! Love it, the best processor so far

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page