Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1238Likes

post #2581 of 3012 Old 03-05-2019, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5491 Post(s)
Liked: 4992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronildoq View Post
Hi Marc, thanks for the reply. I’m using dual master slave f18, one master slave stacked in front boundary corner left, another master slave co-located at the right back of MLP 2.5m away. So I’ll be using a ddrc88a to find that perfect blend between the pair , then use RP to time align the subs and mains.

Gonna discard using the auxiliary connections for the f18, doesn’t work, pretty sure

I noticed that RP doesn’t really fix the phase as well as Dirac, See this no smoothing

One is Dirac in green, the other is RP in red.

But look at time domain measurements

That’s RP above

The one below is with Dirac EQ

I can confirm the transient Attack from the 18” subs is much improved, you can the decay rates are much improved with RP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a good way to compare RoomPerfect utilizing REW. RoomPerfect prioritizes the time-domain. A flat amplitude response doesn't always equal great sound (although Dirac does a much better job than Audyssey, AccuEQ, YPAO, etc.). The frequencies in which amplitude is reduced by RoomPerfect correspond to the increased ringing you measured with Dirac. Further tweaking of the amplitude response can be done via Voicing on the MP50.

It will be interesting to see the improvements of Dirac Live and the new bass management module.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 3012 Old 03-06-2019, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 137

Noticed the RP is global, and am curious as to how this looks at the Focus1 postion (MLP) and where the mic was placed (assume at MLP).
noah katz likes this.

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
post #2583 of 3012 Old 03-06-2019, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandia View Post

Noticed the RP is global, and am curious as to how this looks at the Focus1 postion (MLP) and where the mic was placed (assume at MLP).

Focus is not far off, similar to global. i noticed RP doesn’t do much on phase correction, so I’ll be going with Dirac to EQ the subs after phase aligning them, then use RP to integrate the whole system. I believe this is a better approach vs having the subs connected to the auxiliary channels

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 3012 Old 03-06-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
This is a good way to compare RoomPerfect utilizing REW. RoomPerfect prioritizes the time-domain. A flat amplitude response doesn't always equal great sound (although Dirac does a much better job than Audyssey, AccuEQ, YPAO, etc.). The frequencies in which amplitude is reduced by RoomPerfect correspond to the increased ringing you measured with Dirac. Further tweaking of the amplitude response can be done via Voicing on the MP50.

It will be interesting to see the improvements of Dirac Live and the new bass management module.

Yes I agree with you. I think having a good uniform decay improves the overall experience significantly , comparing the two, on graph , the flat response seems good, but actual listening confirms that the one in red, with RP is way better

I believe Dirac will not be far off with the new upcoming bass management module

post #2585 of 3012 Old 03-06-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
What are the room dimensions and the distances between L&R speakers?
The room is 24’ x 24’ with a tall angular and sloping ceiling. The distance from my pair of the most forward Atmos speakers is about 9’ from the front wall. The main left/right front speakers are about 14.5’ or so apart measured from the center of each speaker.
post #2586 of 3012 Old 03-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
In most cases subwoofers should be connected to the LFE channel. Only use the aux subs if you are adhering to Lyngdorf's boundary sub guidelines.

Do you have two pairs of F18 master slave pairs? I used to own this system with 1 single master & 3 passive and loved it. (It's a long story how I had to sell but I am back in the ULF game now). How are the F18s placed in the room? If you only have a single master, you need to be using the LFE output. If a single master, I don't understand how you are connecting to the auxiliary output(s) (which could be behind your measurements). The aux subwoofers are always deployed in L/R pairs as far as the MP50 is concerned. You can get around this with a miniDSP or similar but it is only necessary in rare circumstances.

Would you mind sharing some more details regarding your setup scenario and goals?

If I have 2 front subwoofers, would you recommend using a splitter and connecting them to the LFE port?
post #2587 of 3012 Old 03-07-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
If I have 2 front subwoofers, would you recommend using a splitter and connecting them to the LFE port?
Do you enjoy 2ch music or are you strictly a movie/TV watcher? What models speakers & subs? How are the subs placed in respect to the speakers (front corners are optimal for auxiliary/boundary subs). What are the crossover frequencies?
post #2588 of 3012 Old 03-07-2019, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Do you enjoy 2ch music or are you strictly a movie/TV watcher? What models speakers & subs? How are the subs placed in respect to the speakers (front corners are optimal for auxiliary/boundary subs). What are the crossover frequencies?

The setup is mostly for movies/TV (a theater room). Speakers are Revel F208/C208, Subs are 2x SVS SB3000. Subwoofers are between the center and mains...due to room layout it is not possible to have boundary woofers (center/subs are behind screen, room is not wide enough to put the subs outside the mains.
post #2589 of 3012 Old 03-07-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post

The setup is mostly for movies/TV (a theater room). Speakers are Revel F208/C208, Subs are 2x SVS SB3000. Subwoofers are between the center and mains...due to room layout it is not possible to have boundary woofers (center/subs are behind screen, room is not wide enough to put the subs outside the mains.
Yeah… just use a splitter on the LFE out.
post #2590 of 3012 Old 03-08-2019, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Hi Marc, thanks for the reply. I’m using dual master slave f18, one master slave stacked in front boundary corner left, another master slave co-located at the right back of MLP 2.5m away. So I’ll be using a ddrc88a to find that perfect blend between the pair , then use RP to time align the subs and mains.

Gonna discard using the auxiliary connections for the f18, doesn’t work, pretty sure
Ah.. that also can explain your previous measurements..
you did not mention that you are not using the subs up front in a symmetrical stereo config. That's what the aux outputs are for..
In that case I am pretty sure that the "attenuation" you reported before for the LFE output when using Aux1-2 is due to cancellations between the subs below 30Hz in that config... Also why I asked if you could measure each sub individually.. So I don't think the conclusion that "aux connections does not work for ULF" is correct in general.
But it assumes symmetric placement up front, to have a chance to get the timing and integration of the bass-managed bass right whilst not causing cancellation in the LFE bass.
In any case, I totally agree that in your case you must use the dedicated LFE output given the way you have placed the subs.
And the use of DDRC to set individual delays (and Dirac if you want) is a good way to integrate those subs. I used to do exactly that with good results although I did not like it so much for music. So trying both aux 1-2 stereo "music subs" AND dedicated LFE now.
Note that if you include the DDRC (and Dirac) for the LFE you must set a LOT longer "distance" for the LFE in the MP-50 RoomPerfect speaker setup but you are probably aware of that ;-)

Last edited by arisholm; 03-08-2019 at 12:56 AM.
post #2591 of 3012 Old 03-08-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisholm View Post
Ah.. that also can explain your previous measurements..

you did not mention that you are not using the subs up front in a symmetrical stereo config. That's what the aux outputs are for..

In that case I am pretty sure that the "attenuation" you reported before for the LFE output when using Aux1-2 is due to cancellations between the subs below 30Hz in that config... Also why I asked if you could measure each sub individually.. So I don't think the conclusion that "aux connections does not work for ULF" is correct in general.

But it assumes symmetric placement up front, to have a chance to get the timing and integration of the bass-managed bass right whilst not causing cancellation in the LFE bass.

In any case, I totally agree that in your case you must use the dedicated LFE output given the way you have placed the subs.

And the use of DDRC to set individual delays (and Dirac if you want) is a good way to integrate those subs. I used to do exactly that with good results although I did not like it so much for music. So trying both aux 1-2 stereo "music subs" AND dedicated LFE now.

Note that if you include the DDRC (and Dirac) for the LFE you must set a LOT longer "distance" for the LFE in the MP-50 RoomPerfect speaker setup but you are probably aware of that ;-)

Hi arisholm

I found the problem !! One of the subwoofers is having air leak ! That is why !! I’ve just confirmed it last night, I could hear the flapping sound. Mark is sending a replacement woofer as we speak.

The air leak messes with the amplitude response as well.

I’ve just confirmed with another Friend here in Singapore who uses the auxiliary channels for subs, he didn’t encounter that deep bass attenuation scenario, but he had other issues, his rear subs were out of phase post RP

Nonetheless , let me check and confirm again once the replacement is complete. I will report again on the progress , but this time round I’ll go with the LFE and Ddrc88a

Yea, I’ve computed electronical delays and use the impulse response to input distance , Dirac does the delay calculation between subs and centre, so I’m using the centre as acoustic timing reference to set the distance

Subs are like 11m now, though they are only 5m

arisholm likes this.
post #2592 of 3012 Old 03-08-2019, 12:29 PM

Phase is something we have not really dug deep into on this thread. Lyngdorf doesn't discuss much either [anymore at least]. Maybe because it reveals that RoomPerfect is not always as simple as they make it out to be? RoomPerfect does not automatically set delays like most other Room EQs. Which is why you must manually measure mic to speaker distances precisely. I'm not sure why it doesn't or cannot do this. It is something I wish they would add. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible, but perhaps it is not.

Most subwoofer systems have DSPs and add additional delay depending on the features activated (i.e. low-pass filter). On the TDAI-2170 it actually has a seperate field for entering amplifier delay.
Quote:
5.6.1 Delays
The available settings are:
Distance
If you are using a setup with speakers and/or subwoofers located at an identical distance to the listening position, you don’t need to set a distance. If the distances are not identical, you need to enter it in order to ensure that the sound from each loudspeaker reaches the listening position simultaneously. To correctly measure the distance, please see Guided Speaker Setup.

Amplifier delay
On analog and digital out, you can set an amplifi er delay. If you have an active subwoofer or an additional amplifier, there will be a natural electronic delay in these products. Refer to the original manufacturer’s instructions to obtain the correct amplifier delay.
There is no field or mention of the amplifier delay in the MP-50 or TDAI-3400 menus & documentation. The TDAI-3400 manual reads as follows:
Quote:
Distance

To have sub and speakers interact correctly, they must be in phase, so that the part of the music coming

from the sub arrives to the listening position at the same time as the sound from the front speakers. Measure

the distances from the preferred listening position (the focus position) to the front of the speakers.

When measuring the distance to a sub, measure from the preferred listening position to the wall or corner

behind the sub. As the sub is omnidirectional at frequencies below 80 Hz, the acoustic centre of the speaker

must consider the reflection from the wall or corner.
I discussed this with @richmagnus , a Lyngdorf dealer & installer in the U.K. with extensive experience with RoomPerfect. He told me that for optimal calibration you still need to consider the delays added by subwoofer and even active speaker DSPs/amps. They most commonly deploy M&K subs and have the delay values for each model. On the MP-50 and TDAI-3400 the delay must be converted to distance and added to the measured values. RoomPerfect should be restarted if the distances are changed.

My suggestion for those with REW is to use the acoustic timing reference to fine tune the distances entered to ensure phase alignment. This is no different than the Sub Distance Tweak often discussed.

With multiple subs sharing the LFE output one will have to manually adjust delay or phase on the plate amps or utilize an external DSP like miniDSP (I am using Symetrix Jupiter at the moment).

If you strive for subwoofer perfection, but this is all beyond your skill & desire, contact your dealer or you can contact me.
arisholm likes this.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 03-08-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #2593 of 3012 Old 03-08-2019, 07:03 PM

Yes, that is what I’m doing, I use a laser meter to measure distance from nearest speaker to MLP. Then use the acoustic timing reference to add distance to every other speaker channels until the impulse are all centered at 0. But for the Atmos speakers, I had to disconnect the xlr cable and plug it in to the surrounds and take measurements, there is no way to measure Atmos channels other than connecting the Atmos channels to one of the surrounds

And I had to compute the delays for subwoofer channels on LFE separately

The above is final distance settings, LfE is like 11m

Though the physical distance from subs to MLP is only 5m

Marc Alexander likes this.
post #2594 of 3012 Old 03-09-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Yes, that is what I’m doing, I use a laser meter to measure distance from nearest speaker to MLP. Then use the acoustic timing reference to add distance to every other speaker channels until the impulse are all centered at 0. But for the Atmos speakers, I had to disconnect the xlr cable and plug it in to the surrounds and take measurements, there is no way to measure Atmos channels other than connecting the Atmos channels to one of the surrounds

Well done!
arisholm likes this.
post #2595 of 3012 Old 03-09-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Wow, that leaves me wondering if I should do the same measurements. Do you think it is audibly(?) significant?

7.2.4 setup using: Lyngdorf MP-50, 2 Anthem MCA525, 2 Goldenear Triton One, Goldenear SuperCenter XXL, 2 MartinLogan Motion 15, 6 MartinLogan FX, Sony XBR65X900F
post #2596 of 3012 Old 03-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L. Todd View Post
Dolby Atmos working sporadically with MP-50 and Oppo 203

Recently I have noticed that the Dolby Atmos light on the MP-50 is not illuminated when playing 4K movies with Dolby Atmos. But if I power down my entire system, sometimes it will start working and the light will illuminate.

Example: Watching Mission Impossible Fallout 4K in the past week NO DOLBY ATMOS light on MP-50. I put in another 4K disc that was recently viewed (Zero Dark Thirty) where I know the Dolby Atmos had worked in the past - and still no Dolby Atmos light.

I powered the entire system down, waited a minute, powered up and the Dolby Atmos light illuminated on the MP-50 for Zero Dark Thirty. No matter what I did - I could not get the Dolby Atmos light to illuminate for Mission Impossible.

Oppo 203 Settings: I have Audio Output set to "Auto" - but I tried "Bitstream" and got the same results. Secondary Audio is "Off".

My HDMI Cables are brand new and seem securely plugged in.

Both the MP-50 and Oppo 203 have the latest software updates.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Is it the Oppo or Lyngdorf MP-50?

I have been in contact with Lyngdorf about this issue, but they are in holiday mode.

HELP PLEASE.
Has there been any comment/acknowledgement from Lyngdorf on this issue. I spent last night trying to figure it out with the movie "Reds" with no success. My Oppo 205 will sometimes read "Dolby Atmos" as the output and other times True HD 7.1" That would appear to me to be an EDID issue with the 205 and/or the MP-50 not responding that it processes Atmos. I'm leaning toward the MP-50 as the issue.

John

post #2597 of 3012 Old 03-09-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
Has there been any comment/acknowledgement from Lyngdorf on this issue. I spent last night trying to figure it out with the movie "Reds" with no success. My Oppo 205 will sometimes read "Dolby Atmos" as the output and other times True HD 7.1" That would appear to me to be an EDID issue with the 205 and/or the MP-50 not responding that it processes Atmos. I'm leaning toward the MP-50 as the issue.
I posted about this a while back. I had this problem with both my Oppo 203 and Kaleidescape Strato. No Atmos or DTS-X at times. I run audio through a Lumagen Pro, but taking it out of the loop did not solve the problem.

I still fairly commonly have the issue, but I have found a reliable way to correct it when occurs. With a movie still playing, I power off the Lyngdorf and then power it back on. When the Lyngdorf comes back on, Atmos or DTS-X will be playing properly. I do this with video still going through the Lumagen to my projector. I don't know if you could do this without something like the Lumagen - playback might stop if you lose the handshake.

I think it definitely is something with the Lyngdorf, but at least I have come up with a workaround.
post #2598 of 3012 Old 03-09-2019, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post
I posted about this a while back. I had this problem with both my Oppo 203 and Kaleidescape Strato. No Atmos or DTS-X at times. I run audio through a Lumagen Pro, but taking it out of the loop did not solve the problem.

I still fairly commonly have the issue, but I have found a reliable way to correct it when occurs. With a movie still playing, I power off the Lyngdorf and then power it back on. When the Lyngdorf comes back on, Atmos or DTS-X will be playing properly. I do this with video still going through the Lumagen to my projector. I don't know if you could do this without something like the Lumagen - playback might stop if you lose the handshake.

I think it definitely is something with the Lyngdorf, but at least I have come up with a workaround.

I also have the Lumagen Pro and am feeding it video only from the Oppo 205 output 1 and audio to the MP-50 from the output 2. The Oppo uses a 1080p video carrier from the audio only output. I am trying a new approach by setting the MP-50 input to ignore any video format other than the 480-1080p group. Perhaps the less complicated EDID exchange will help.I use workarounds as needed but I would obviously prefer to have my processor work as intended.

John

post #2599 of 3012 Old 03-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
This could very well be an EDID issue. If you hold info on the Oppo it will give a verbose information display. Screenshots of this and the MP-50's web homepage in each condition would help in troubleshooting.

https://support.emersivetech.com/hc/...leshooting.pdf

Have you tried turning off CEC in both the Oppo and MP-50? I used to have issues with ARC audio suddenly stopping working with both Lyngdorf and NAD. Placing Oppo/CXUHD directly to the display and connecting the audio-only HDMI out to the AVPs has solved the issues for me. The other benefit is the ability to support 60p HDR via the Oppo/CXUHD.
post #2600 of 3012 Old 03-09-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I also have the Lumagen Pro and am feeding it video only from the Oppo 205 output 1 and audio to the MP-50 from the output 2. The Oppo uses a 1080p video carrier from the audio only output. I am trying a new approach by setting the MP-50 input to ignore any video format other than the 480-1080p group. Perhaps the less complicated EDID exchange will help.I use workarounds as needed but I would obviously prefer to have my processor work as intended.
If any of this works, let me know. It is still an annoying problem. I tried playing with using the audio only outputs from both Oppo and Strato and still had the same problems.

In the meantime, I am curious if my workaround works for you. If you start playing a movie, and see "True HD Legacy" or something like that from the MP50 instead of Atmos like it should, power off the MP50 off and back on with the movie still playing. See if it comes back correctly as it does for me.
post #2601 of 3012 Old 03-10-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsaddiction View Post
Wow, that leaves me wondering if I should do the same measurements. Do you think it is audibly(?) significant?

Yea it does make a difference, but not as significant. There is one particular scene I use to test, the leaf scene in atmos, very precise when timing is right

post #2602 of 3012 Old 03-10-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Marc is correct, it’s an EDID issue, on the mp50. Not on the Oppo 205. It’s probably not conforming to international EDID standards and protocol

The workaround would be to playback a simple Dolby digital encoded file , then playback the Atmos file again and voila. The same issues were reported on D&M avr and processsors, and some older Onkyo models.

post #2603 of 3012 Old 03-10-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Yes, same issues with me. Play a Dolby digital file, then playback the Atmos file again and it will kick in to Atmos again... it’s an EDID issue on the MP50

post #2604 of 3012 Old 03-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If any of this works, let me know. It is still an annoying problem. I tried playing with using the audio only outputs from both Oppo and Strato and still had the same problems.

In the meantime, I am curious if my workaround works for you. If you start playing a movie, and see "True HD Legacy" or something like that from the MP50 instead of Atmos like it should, power off the MP50 off and back on with the movie still playing. See if it comes back correctly as it does for me.

Yes, the MP-50 restart does work. All of my other tests proved to be unsuccessful. It will be frustrating when a group is over and I need to stop the film and reboot the MP50. It reminds me of the times we used to boo the theater projectionist when there was problem and the film was stopped. I'm curious...I have not seen a post by anyone with a 4k player other than the OppO 203/205 having this same issue; did I miss them?
OsoSolitario likes this.

John

Last edited by netroamer; 03-12-2019 at 03:32 PM.
post #2605 of 3012 Old 03-13-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:

My experience is with a MX160 and Lumagen Pro. But make sure you set the Lumagen Pro to output all audio EDIDs (Menu 0943 - enables common audio formats from all Pro inputs). I also do not use the audio only port as it gave me some issues. I use one of the other outputs and also output 4K with the audio. Also you might want to test different startup sequences... Your issue might be different as you have run without the Pro, but FYI..... SJ
post #2606 of 3012 Old 03-13-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Received from Lyngdorf this AM.

Hello Flemming,

I have been exchanging posts on the AVS forum regarding the MP-50's failure to detect a Dolby Atmos stream requiring a reboot of the MP-50 to correct. We, as amateurs, have concluded that this is a EDID issue with the MP-50 as it also occurs with the McIntosh MX-160 version.

Your thought, comments, please.

Hi John
the issue should only appear, if you have an AURO setup – or is using the AURO Upmixer
  • then an Atmos signal will trigger the MP-50 to go to Dolby Legacy mode
if this is experienced, a change to the Dolby upmixer will have the MP-50 detect the Atmos signal

the problem is in the decoder codec – and we expect it to be corrected in the next update of the codec, which we should be able to release early April.

Best Regards,
Flemming Smith
Customer Support Manager

S T E I N W A Y L Y N G D O R F

John

post #2607 of 3012 Old 03-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

Did you do this before or after running RoomPerfect?

The reason I ask is when I tried to time align my subs and set the delay via distance before running RP the delay was still present when I ran REW post calibration. The only way I could get the delay to go away was to adjust the LFE distance after RP was competed.

Last edited by DrMichael; 03-13-2019 at 11:08 AM.
post #2608 of 3012 Old 03-13-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
Did you do this before or after running RoomPerfect?

The reason I ask is when I tried to time align my subs and set the delay via distance before running RP the delay was still present when I ran REW post calibration. The only way I could get the delay to go away was to adjust the LFE distance after RP was competed.

Hi, the distance is added using the acoustic timing reference before running room perfect.

I wouldn’t worry about time aligning the subs, what I look at is to Ensure the polarity of the subs are good before RP. I will then focus instead on phase aligning the subs connecting to LFE, to find the best blend between the two

What I’ve noticed is that there is no point using Dirac live to correct for subs response and then further using RP to integrate the whole system.

I found that it was better to connect the subs directly to the LFE using a splitter .

But before doing the above, I find the best blend between the pair of subs (I’m using master slave pair f18) by using the delay controls on the sub itself. Once they are phase aligned with the best response, I run RP, far better this method

Dirac messes things up in the time domain

post #2609 of 3012 Old 03-14-2019, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Hi, the distance is added using the acoustic timing reference before running room perfect.

I wouldn’t worry about time aligning the subs, what I look at is to Ensure the polarity of the subs are good before RP. I will then focus instead on phase aligning the subs connecting to LFE, to find the best blend between the two

What I’ve noticed is that there is no point using Dirac live to correct for subs response and then further using RP to integrate the whole system.

I found that it was better to connect the subs directly to the LFE using a splitter .

But before doing the above, I find the best blend between the pair of subs (I’m using master slave pair f18) by using the delay controls on the sub itself. Once they are phase aligned with the best response, I run RP, far better this method

I found the exact same thing. Removed the minidsp and not using MSO. I have the best results I've gotten in my room just using the phase knob on my subs to account for distances.
post #2610 of 3012 Old 03-14-2019, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:

My M&K Pro subs just have a phase switch and no knobs, so just. + and -. They are right next to each other (1/4”) apart centered under the screen. Would you agree under this scenario, set both subs to the + phase due to their close proximity location? I don’t think there is any need to try a + - or - - scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page