Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1158Likes

post #2611 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
My M&K Pro subs just have a phase switch and no knobs, so just. + and -. They are right next to each other (1/4”) apart centered under the screen. Would you agree under this scenario, set both subs to the + phase due to their close proximity location? I don’t think there is any need to try a + - or - - scenario.

If you have rew, bring up RTA and adjust the knobs while looking at both subs interaction on the fly... go with the best combination before RP, pretty fast. No harm trying, it’s quite fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G-Rex likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Guys as a owner an MX160, I'm assisting a good friend in redoing his HT with new gear. First thought for me in processors of the price range in question was the MP50. Only drama is this guy owns a pro audio biz which deals with Meyer Sound out of Germany and they are helping him spec what will I'm sure be an interesting(haven't ever heard of anyone on the forums using Meyer in a home system) albeit costly home theater system (for his not particularly large room) and they are steering him towards a Trinnov Altitude 16. Now normally I would have said the Trinnov would be the next price bracket so not a proper comparison necessarily, however through being connected direct to the distributor it's going to cost him only $9800 as opposed to the best price of $9500 for a MP50. I don't know nearly enough about the new 'cheaper' Altitude 16 except to say yes I've used Dirac on a couple of occasions, once more recently in an Arcam and know the Trinnov implementation is supposed to be very good. Keen for some points I could make to him weighing up the two processors. Thanks
G-Rex likes this.
post #2613 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Guys as a owner an MX160, I'm assisting a good friend in redoing his HT with new gear. First thought for me in processors of the price range in question was the MP50. Only drama is this guy owns a pro audio biz which deals with Meyer Sound out of Germany and they are helping him spec what will I'm sure be an interesting(haven't ever heard of anyone on the forums using Meyer in a home system) albeit costly home theater system (for his not particularly large room) and they are steering him towards a Trinnov Altitude 16. Now normally I would have said the Trinnov would be the next price bracket so not a proper comparison necessarily, however through being connected direct to the distributor it's going to cost him only $9800 as opposed to the best price of $9500 for a MP50. I don't know nearly enough about the new 'cheaper' Altitude 16 except to say yes I've used Dirac on a couple of occasions, once more recently in an Arcam and know the Trinnov implementation is supposed to be very good. Keen for some points I could make to him weighing up the two processors. Thanks
I would love to hear some feedback on anyone who has heard both of these processors properly setup in the same room with the same speakers.

It appears from my reading, the 160 has higher build quality, better DACS (or as Trinnov fans will call them “magic DACS”), better power supply, less hardware bugs. Trinnov processors are sent back to CT far more often for hardware issues and/or board replacements, than MP-50/MX-160, which from my experience and others on the forum appear to be a rarity. Room Perfect is much more user friendly and gets good to excellent results. However, once the Trinnov is dialed in, what it gives up on hardware it gains in its software algorythms. This results in a very seamless sound field presentation throughout the theater. The Trinnov also has greater flexibility, options, and true object audio speaker remapping.

I have not heard the Trinnov as yet, but that price for the Altitude 16 is excellent so it must be very tempting.
OzHDHT likes this.

Last edited by G-Rex; 03-14-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2614 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would love to hear some feedback on anyone who has heard both of these processors properly setup in the same room with the same speakers.

It appears from my reading, the 160 has higher build quality, better DACS (or as Trinnov fan will call them “magic DACS” better power supply, less hardware bugs (Trinnov processors often sent back for hardware issues/board replacement) Room Perfect is much more user friendly, but once the Trinnov is dialed in, what it gives up on hardware it gains in its software algorythms. This results in a very seamless sound field presentation throughout the theater. I have not heard the Trinnov as yet.

Yep that's exactly the feedback I'd like to hear as well, a same room 'A/B' test.

I might add for the Trinnov price, it's not just dumped in his lap for me or him to calibrate, a tech from the distributor comes down to set up it for him. Good point re the hardware and board issues, again not something I would normally hear about.

EDIT: found this thread to be quite an interesting discussion along similar lines :https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...ease-help.html

Last edited by OzHDHT; 03-14-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #2615 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now when/if McIntosh or Lyngdorf release the next MX/MP processors with more discrete channels and more flexibility to match the current trend of processors, I would heavily lean to that unit. I like high end build quality, to match the software implementation. What troubles me a bit, it the Trinnov unit is an i7, basically a very high end computer, instead of an audiophile piece. The Trinnov just hits it out of the park with its software. Because the Trinnov is pc based, it runs hot and the cooling fans are audible from a distance. As we know, the 160/MP-50 runs hot, but with no cooling fans.

I have added this cooling fan to the top of my 160 and it’s just an amazing quality piece. It sucks the heat right out of the 160 and quietly sends it out the front or rear (depending on the model). Fully thermostatically controlled with a variable speed fan. My 160 is now completely cool to the touch, which is great for the processor’s longevity.

https://www.acinfinity.com/component...nt-exhaust-17/

Last edited by G-Rex; 03-14-2019 at 05:46 PM.
post #2616 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5221 Post(s)
Liked: 4748
@OzHDHT at those prices the Trinnov A16 by a mile.

For me the A16 solution is almost 2x the cost of the MP-50. Or at least it was. Has the Trinnov pricing gone down? @RUR ?
OzHDHT likes this.
post #2617 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post

For me the A16 solution is almost 2x the cost of the MP-50. Or at least it was. Has the Trinnov pricing gone down? @RUR ?

Yeah the distributor has really come in hard to look after him. At that kind price he's even got me questioning whether I might have to rethink my MX160 and my dedication to Room Perfect!
post #2618 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 08:01 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:

IIRC, it’s ~ $17K these days, Marc.
post #2619 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah the distributor has really come in hard to look after him. At that kind price he's even got me questioning whether I might have to rethink my MX160 and my dedication to Room Perfect!

I have been feeling the same way lately. I am reading the Trinnov threads a bit too much, which can be dangerous.
post #2620 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I have been feeling the same way lately. I am reading the Trinnov threads a bit too much, which can be dangerous.
If the prices are comparable go with the Trinnov and don't look back. I've only spent limited time with the Trinnov with @sdrucker @RUR and @mikela but it isb3x the kit the Lyngdorf is (IMHO). No matter what I asked, they could simply tap and swipe the iPad and show me exactly with intuitive GUI and beyond. Trust me!
G-Rex likes this.
post #2621 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Marc, how loud were the cooling fans in the Trinnov? Since you are very familiar with the MP-50/160, how would you compare the sonic charactersistics of the 50/160 RP processors vs the Trinnov? Many would like to know, and you are likely one of the few that are familiar with both.

Last edited by G-Rex; 03-14-2019 at 08:52 PM.
post #2622 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Now when/if McIntosh or Lyngdorf release the next MX/MP processors with more discrete channels and more flexibility to match the current trend of processors, I would heavily lean to that unit. I like high end build quality, to match the software implementation. What troubles me a bit, it the Trinnov unit is an i7, basically a very high end computer, instead of an audiophile piece. The Trinnov just hits it out of the park with its software. Because the Trinnov is pc based, it runs hot and the cooling fans are audible from a distance. As we know, the 160/MP-50 runs hot, but with no cooling fans.
The Altitude 32/24 I have doesn't run any hotter - and in fact from a quick check right now cooler - than one of my NAD M27 Class D amp in my component stand. Heat generation with the Altitude isn't an issue as long as you follow the manual's advice about space around the processor. I believe there's a custom heat sink in the unit as well as cooling fans.

Quote:
It appears from my reading, the 160 has higher build quality, better DACS (or as Trinnov fans will call them “magic DACS”), better power supply, less hardware bugs. Trinnov processors are sent back to CT far more often for hardware issues and/or board replacements, than MP-50/MX-160, which from my experience and others on the forum appear to be a rarity. Room Perfect is much more user friendly and gets good to excellent results. However, once the Trinnov is dialed in, what it gives up on hardware it gains in its software algorythms. This results in a very seamless sound field presentation throughout the theater. The Trinnov also has greater flexibility, options, and true object audio speaker remapping.

I have not heard the Trinnov as yet, but that price for the Altitude 16 is excellent so it must be very tempting.
Not sure what you mean by "far more often", but there's been reports of FireWire boards in a few recent serial numbered units needing the board replaced to allow 176/192 kHz playback for those Altitudes. I believe there's a few guys on the Altitude thread that shipped their unit to CT for the swap, but at least one other than did it himself and got the board shipped to him from France.

And this being AVS, I wouldn't call two or three unit owners on an owners thread representative of the typical experience. I've got an early Altitude (unit in the 50's) and the only time I needed to open up the unit was to check that my own FireWire board was seated correctly after a move, which was an easy fix with my Trinnov contact's assistance. The other reason would be for swapping the older HDMI board for the more recent 2.0. Right now if I had wanted multiple 4K sources with separate inputs, I'd have video sources being split from the audio in a Lumagen and route the audio to the Altitude over HDMI. With the 2.0 board, I can have all 4K and audio going through the Altitude then to the Lumagen.

Some unit owners apparently are shipping their Altitudes to CT to get the board replaced and for channel upgrades (i.e. from 24 to 32 channels). That's not a "hardware issue" but an upgrade if they want that route.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 03-14-2019 at 09:13 PM.
post #2623 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 09:03 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Marc, how loud were the cooling fans in the Trinnov?.
We did a quick survey in the owners thread a while back and, in a quiet room, one guy could just hear his fan @ < 2 feet. No one else could hear their fan at all.
sdrucker likes this.
post #2624 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
We did a quick survey in the owners thread a while back and, in a quiet room, one guy could just hear his fan @ < 2 feet. No one else could hear their fan at all.
I notice my HVAC, if anything, more than either my Altitude or my JVC RS600 projector. And once I have a source on, even that's not noticeable.

Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
post #2625 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
If the prices are comparable go with the Trinnov and don't look back. I've only spent limited time with the Trinnov with @sdrucker @RUR and @mikela but it isb3x the kit the Lyngdorf is (IMHO). No matter what I asked, they could simply tap and swipe the iPad and show me exactly with intuitive GUI and beyond. Trust me!
Hi Marc! Trust me, after awhile having an iPad in your grasp while watching movies or listening to music is pretty much second nature. I've went the easy way out and have almost all my sources controllable over an iPad app: Roku, Oppos, JRiver (using its app), PowerDVD Remote, and the like. I also use a wireless keyboard/mouse when I have to get directly onto my HTPC.

post #2626 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Marc, how loud were the cooling fans in the Trinnov? Since you are very familiar with the MP-50/160, how would you compare the sonic charactersistics of the 50/160 RP processors vs the Trinnov? Many would like to know, and you are likely one of the few that are familiar with both.
I never noticed any fan noise. @mikela 's is in a closet on the floor above but I've toured and still not noticeable noise. I don't know the full architecure of the Trinnov, but PCs with external power bricks and SSD can be silent.
post #2627 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Trinnov processors are sent back to CT far more often for hardware issues and/or board replacements, than MP-50/MX-160, which from my experience and others on the forum appear to be a rarity.
My MP-50 is on its way to Denmark as we speak.

Still no word on a 18Gbps HDMI upgrade.
post #2628 of 2870 Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
I never noticed any fan noise. @mikela 's is in a closet on the floor above but I've toured and still not noticeable noise. I don't know the full architecure of the Trinnov, but PCs with external power bricks and SSD can be silent.
I can barely hear it if I am within a couple of feet of it.

edit: I just double checked and it is not audible at all that I can tell...even up close.

Last edited by mikela; 03-14-2019 at 11:17 PM.
post #2629 of 2870 Old 03-15-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That’s good to hear re the low fan noise reports. I am not saying the Trinnovs are breaking down at widespread levels, but after skimming the entire thread, I did notice some units going back for trouble shooting (other than the FireWire boards or channel upgrades). It appears more so than the reports on the 160/MP50 thread, but nothing to the extent that would deter me from trying a Trinnov. Besides, I am in MA, and Trinnov CT is not far away. Reminds me of my drive to Lexicon headquarters. Nice to have them close by.

Other than the more discrete channels, is there any other important differences between the Altitude 16?

It’s tempting for me to wait and see what the next MX looks like first, but I am getting very intrigued on what the Trinnov has to offer.

Last edited by G-Rex; 03-15-2019 at 08:43 PM.
post #2630 of 2870 Old 03-15-2019, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Why the return?
Sad news on the upgrade.

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
post #2631 of 2870 Old 03-15-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandia View Post
Why the return?
The HDMI board needs repair. No more setup/installers menu over HDMI.
post #2632 of 2870 Old 03-16-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi Marc,

Could you please tell me what the return process is for Lyngdorf. HDMI inputs 1,2,&4 of my MP-50 have became faulty after swapping in new "certified" high speed cables from Monoprice not long ago. I'm now using the original cables I had and HDMI inputs 5-8 which work fine. I bought my MP-50 last September and have been quite happy with it and thought I would hold out on having it repaired until the new upgraded HDMI board becomes available, but heaven knows when that will be. I'm just uncomfortable having a unit which isn't fully functional. I appreciate any information you can give me. Thank you!
post #2633 of 2870 Old 03-16-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Hi Marc,

Could you please tell me what the return process is for Lyngdorf. HDMI inputs 1,2,&4 of my MP-50 have became faulty after swapping in new "certified" high speed cables from Monoprice not long ago. I'm now using the original cables I had and HDMI inputs 5-8 which work fine. I bought my MP-50 last September and have been quite happy with it and thought I would hold out on having it repaired until the new upgraded HDMI board becomes available, but heaven knows when that will be. I'm just uncomfortable having a unit which isn't fully functional. I appreciate any information you can give me. Thank you!
Email [email protected] with the symptoms and S/N, etc.

I also had the idea about waiting for the HDMI upgrade. Unfortunately, I don't think it is close since I cannot get a response from Lyngdorf regarding it. It doesn't hurt to ask. However, every time I ask any questions about the HDMI upgrade they are ignored (all my other questions have been answered). I was informed that the manufacturer's warranty is 2 years.

I purchased the MP-50 knowing that video is not Lyngdorf's core competency. I got so tired of resetting CEC to restore HDMI ARC functionality that I use the Oppo/CXUHD to connect to the display and send Audio only to the Lyngdorf (I am in the same situation with NAD, while Denon & Marantz work flawlessly). I also have devices from HDFury and AVPro that split HDMI audio as well.
post #2634 of 2870 Old 03-16-2019, 10:49 AM

Speculation on the AVForum re:HDMI upgrade appears to move quarter to quarter. The latest being Summer 2019.
post #2635 of 2870 Old 03-16-2019, 10:57 AM

Thank you Marc. I'll get in touch with them and set up a return. I was thinking of getting a Lumagen Pro and splitting the HDMI using the MP-50 only for audio processing. That's how my other set up is, but it's not 4K. I hate to think I'll be returning the unit twice, once for repair and once for upgrade, but it could be a long time before the new board is available. Thank you, again.
post #2636 of 2870 Old 03-16-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Thank you Marc. I'll get in touch with them and set up a return. I was thinking of getting a Lumagen Pro and splitting the HDMI using the MP-50 only for audio processing. That's how my other set up is, but it's not 4K. I hate to think I'll be returning the unit twice, once for repair and once for upgrade, but it could be a long time before the new board is available. Thank you, again.
There is a strong argument that splitting the HDMI audio and re-clocking it with 1080p60 (there is no audio clocking within HDMI, only video). I am able to induce occasional pops/clicks with LPCM tracks with 1080p24 video. LPCM Auro3D tracks often are not decoded properly. 1080p60 seems to perform flawlessly.

Packetized codecs are re-clocked in the processor so Dolby and DTS encodings don't suffer. Most Auro tracks are LPCM compressed within DTS-HD MA. However, the test patterns on the Auro3d Demo Disc are straight LPCM.

https://www.oppodigital.com/Knowledg...ProdID=UDP-205
post #2637 of 2870 Old 04-05-2019, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Hi Marc,

Look carefully at the connectors on the HDMI ports of your MP50. Those monoprice cables stripped the connectors. Dont ask me how I know...
post #2638 of 2870 Old 04-05-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Look carefully at the connectors on the HDMI ports of your MP50. Those monoprice cables stripped the connectors. Dont ask me how I know...
I’m sure you’re right. There was some resistance when I inserted them, but they almost clicked into place. After inserting them into HDMI 1-4 and switching the MD-50 on I did realize they probably damaged the internal pins. Fortunately HDMI 5-8 we’re still unused so I immediately replaced those cables with the original longer ones and reconfigured to those inputs. Since I only have four video sources I’m good to go but hate having four unusable inputs. To me it makes sense to wait fo the new HDMI board to come out before I send the unit to Lyngdorf for repair.
Apparently, you’ve had a similar experience.

Last edited by Doyle; 04-05-2019 at 08:45 PM.
post #2639 of 2870 Old 04-06-2019, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No way am I plugging in extremely low price hdmi cables into high ticket items.
post #2640 of 2870 Old 04-06-2019, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There are a couple of things about RoomPerfect that I like, that people may have missed.

Every other room correction I’m aware of has a target curve that the room correction will try to make your speakers match. This means that the sound of your speakers will be changed.

This isn’t something RoomPerfect does because its first “Focus” reading is intended to capture the sound of your speakers. Once the additional measurements taken throughout all of the room, not just over the seating area, have been taken, your speakers should sound unchanged while the errors of the room have been removed.

The other thing I think RoomPerfect does that’s unique is measuring your subs and speakers as one. The end result is a seamless blend between speakers and subs.
RapalloAV and SteveC356 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page