Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1238Likes

post #2701 of 3012 Old 04-21-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2000 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronildoq View Post
I personally find that it’s better than Dirac, the time alignment is far superior than any Room EQ and after various experiments, I find that TIMING Is the holy grail for HT especially when u have so many speakers to manage including Atmos etc

Attachment 2556630

ronildoq,

What did you have to do to achieve that excellent result?

Just run RP, get timing somewhat close before running RP, or run RP and also tweak it afterwards?

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 3012 Old 04-21-2019, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
ronildoq,

What did you have to do to achieve that excellent result?

Just run RP, get timing somewhat close before running RP, or run RP and also tweak it afterwards?

I tried to get timing as close as possible before RP, adjusting distance on one of the pair to closely match the other pair , so RP is given a head start to focus on blending the mains with subs with its algorithm, the result is perfect time alignment as u can see from above

I love how when all impulse hit the same time at MLP , all 4 seatons impulse hitting at the same time, the result is an improved transient Attack and speed. The speed from midbass feels like it’s from a 12” subs but extends deeper, especially solid and noticeable with bullet scenes. The midbass energy hits and stop , sweeping energy hits and move past and decays nicely. Just awesome

I played that Atmos leaves scene, the leaf just circulates around me, with moving bass, in circular motion. Panning from front, wides, to surrounds, back then towards right , quite brilliant.

I would advise not to touch , tweak it afterward RP as the filters are loaded, that will mess up what RP did. There is really no need for additional tweaks and I noticed that once the subs are time aligned, the phase just adds up automatically. No need to tweak phase as well. But tweaking for a good phase response, need not necessarily mean it’s time aligned, sometimes it can be one cycle late, 720,1080 degrees and still sum up. But timing will be out and midbass will sound muddied

My take, TIMING accuracy above everything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2703 of 3012 Old 04-21-2019, 06:08 PM

Yes and I forgot to mention, the first stacked pair is sitting at front left front corner, Drivers facing MLP

The second pair, is not sitting on right front corner, it’s sitting at 1/4 right section at the back of MLP. They are not equidistant.

Any issues ? No issues, I can still get bass moving and circulating around me, and not able to localise the subs

One very interesting thing is I am using “ small sized 25kg steel shots” packed in a pillow case and bean bag. It sits on the subs. The TOP stacked subs cabinet has lesser vibration now. Really good tweak for stacked subsR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2704 of 3012 Old 04-22-2019, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
@[email protected] what were the issues you experienced with the MP-50?

I did not have MP-50, but I find it interesting
post #2705 of 3012 Old 04-22-2019, 04:02 PM

ronildoq,

Thanks for the elaboration.

Just to be clear, what are the three traces in the time alignment figure?

I assumed it was L, R, and subs.

[edit] On closer inspection I see that it's L/R/both subs.

Do you have a plot that includes the mains?

Noah
post #2706 of 3012 Old 04-22-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronildoq View Post
One very interesting thing is I am using “ small sized 25kg steel shots” packed in a pillow case and bean bag.
Yeah, I've used stainless steel sand sold for sandblasting in a similar capacity. Safer than lead and no rust!
ronildoq likes this.
post #2707 of 3012 Old 04-23-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
ronildoq,

Thanks for the elaboration.

Just to be clear, what are the three traces in the time alignment figure?

I assumed it was L, R, and subs.

[edit] On closer inspection I see that it's L/R/both subs.

Do you have a plot that includes the mains?
Hi Noah,
Yes its for the
L = Left Stacked Pair
R = Right Stacked Pair
Both = Both Pairs combined
post #2708 of 3012 Old 04-23-2019, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Yeah, I've used stainless steel sand sold for sandblasting in a similar capacity. Safer than lead and no rust!
I did consider the stainless steel types, but they cost 3x more. So in the end i went for the normal ones, it will be stuffed into a pillow case, then further zipped into the bean bag and will cover the entire top cabinet of the sub, absorbing the vibrations.

I still retain the tactile and the benefits i get with this is i no longer hear the rattling sound from the false ceiling even when i push the subs to its limits. great simple tweak.

The bottom subs are good, firmly anchored to the ground with spikes.

They worked wonders! What a tweak
post #2709 of 3012 Old 04-25-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I'm not sure if anyone here uses upgraded power cords and/or custom footers for their MP-50. If not, please ignore my question. For those that do use any of these, I'm wondering - is it better to do the RoomPerfect calibration before doing any upgrades, and that way the benefit of those upgrades can easily compared, OR, is it better to do the RoomPerfect calibration after each upgrade?

Dave
post #2710 of 3012 Old 04-25-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
I'm not sure if anyone here uses upgraded power cords and/or custom footers for their MP-50. If not, please ignore my question. For those that do use any of these, I'm wondering - is it better to do the RoomPerfect calibration before doing any upgrades, and that way the benefit of those upgrades can easily compared, OR, is it better to do the RoomPerfect calibration after each upgrade?

Dave
Given they won't make any audible difference, I don't think it matters much when you run room correction. But, hey, run it before and then after every upgrade and see for yourself. If there are major differences in measurements then I'd say the correction system is inconsistent and I'd verify that by running it again without changing anything to see if the run-to-run variance is (or isn't) the same as the variance pre-to-post changes.

My guess, the measurement equipment won't notice a lick of change (beyond the typical run-to-run variance) just by adding some feet and a "better" power cord.
ronildoq likes this.
post #2711 of 3012 Old 04-25-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Dave

Don’t have to run it again after changing power cords.

It won’t make any difference . I’ve run it like so many times, almost everytime the results are the same.

I even added a ddrc88a with Dirac, then run RP. It literally undo whatever Dirac did and the results were same again.

Later I realised that the algorithm focus is mainly in the time domain , that is the priority for RP and I love how it sounds!!

jkscherk likes this.
post #2712 of 3012 Old 04-25-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Given they won't make any audible difference, I don't think it matters much when you run room correction. But, hey, run it before and then after every upgrade and see for yourself. If there are major differences in measurements then I'd say the correction system is inconsistent and I'd verify that by running it again without changing anything to see if the run-to-run variance is (or isn't) the same as the variance pre-to-post changes.

My guess, the measurement equipment won't notice a lick of change (beyond the typical run-to-run variance) just by adding some feet and a "better" power cord.

Well, I think my "If not, please ignore my question" was, in fact, ignored :-)

You obviously don't believe cables/footers make any difference. While I appreciate your kind response, I'd like to hear from anyone who might have some experience with this.

Dave
post #2713 of 3012 Old 04-25-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Well, I think my "If not, please ignore my question" was, in fact, ignored :-)

You obviously don't believe cables/footers make any difference. While I appreciate your kind response, I'd like to hear from anyone who might have some experience with this.

Dave
Sorry, man, I was just saying what most people on here were thinking, lol. But, at least I told you to go ahead and measure and see for yourself .
post #2714 of 3012 Old 04-26-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Sorry, man, I was just saying what most people on here were thinking, lol. But, at least I told you to go ahead and measure and see for yourself .

Got ya - thanks DreamWarrior!

Dave
DreamWarrior likes this.
post #2715 of 3012 Old 04-29-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am trying out an MP-50 in my system, and so far a few peculiar problems. Let me first say that - yes, I did update to the latest version of software.

1) Trouble with Dish Hopper 3. The MP-50 would not get sound/video via HDMI. I checked edid settings - at first I changed from HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4, and that did work. Later, I put it back to HDCP 2.2 and enabled Sink, and that also did the trick. Anyone else run into this with a Dish Hopper 3?

2) I won't be running RoomPerfect for a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I went to set the Distances, which is under RoomPerfect. It saves my distances, but when I select inches, instead of centimeters, it won't keep that setting - it keeps going back to centimeters. Anyone else find that as an issue?

3) I wanted to set the speaker levels for the listening position. My two surround speakers have always been a couple of db off from one another, which has not been a problem to adjust for any other processor or even receiver that I have used. However, the MP-50 seems to want to keep the Left/Right surround speakers the same. Same thing for the L/R rear surrounds and the L/R front speakers. Is there really not a way to have a different setting for the left and right speakers? Hopefully, I'm missing something here and you will point it out to me.

Thanks!
Dave
post #2716 of 3012 Old 04-29-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
I am trying out an MP-50 in my system, and so far a few peculiar problems. Let me first say that - yes, I did update to the latest version of software.

1) Trouble with Dish Hopper 3. The MP-50 would not get sound/video via HDMI. I checked edid settings - at first I changed from HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4, and that did work. Later, I put it back to HDCP 2.2 and enabled Sink, and that also did the trick. Anyone else run into this with a Dish Hopper 3?

2) I won't be running RoomPerfect for a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I went to set the Distances, which is under RoomPerfect. It saves my distances, but when I select inches, instead of centimeters, it won't keep that setting - it keeps going back to centimeters. Anyone else find that as an issue?

3) I wanted to set the speaker levels for the listening position. My two surround speakers have always been a couple of db off from one another, which has not been a problem to adjust for any other processor or even receiver that I have used. However, the MP-50 seems to want to keep the Left/Right surround speakers the same. Same thing for the L/R rear surrounds and the L/R front speakers. Is there really not a way to have a different setting for the left and right speakers? Hopefully, I'm missing something here and you will point it out to me.

Thanks!
Dave
Another Theta CB deserter. Have you sold your CB yet?
post #2717 of 3012 Old 04-29-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Another Theta CB deserter. Have you sold your CB yet?

Definitely not deserting or selling! It is sidelined for the moment, while I check out the MP-50. Believe me, upon first listening to the MP-50, I wanted to get it out of there and get my CB back in. However, I know I need to give the MP-50 some time, not to mention giving RoomPerfect a shot.

Dave
post #2718 of 3012 Old 04-29-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Definitely not deserting or selling! It is sidelined for the moment, while I check out the MP-50. Believe me, upon first listening to the MP-50, I wanted to get it out of there and get my CB back in. However, I know I need to give the MP-50 some time, not to mention giving RoomPerfect a shot.

Dave
Lol. That’s exactly what I thought your thoughts would be. I contemplated trading my LS10 for an MP50 just to have RoomPerfect. I’ve since got the software and calibration kit for my Datasat so “for now” I’m content. I still have an itch to try a Casablanca someday.
post #2719 of 3012 Old 04-29-2019, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all! How would you connect two subwoofers to the mp-50? With a Xlr-spitter on the Lfeoutput, one subwoofer on the Lfeoutput and one on the other auxchannels or both subwoofers on the aux and none on the Lfeoutput? Which way will the bass management work best with the delay, integration and so on?
post #2720 of 3012 Old 04-30-2019, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
Liked: 4972
Quote:
Compared to your CB with or w/o Dirac?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_ View Post
Hi all! How would you connect two subwoofers to the mp-50? With a Xlr-spitter on the Lfeoutput, one subwoofer on the Lfeoutput and one on the other auxchannels or both subwoofers on the aux and none on the Lfeoutput? Which way will the bass management work best with the delay, integration and so on?
It all depends on your subwoofer placement. Please provide more details about your room & setup.
post #2721 of 3012 Old 04-30-2019, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 275
What video configurations on the MP-50 do you guys use for the Apple TV 4K? I’ve had so many handshake issues.
post #2722 of 3012 Old 04-30-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
What video configurations on the MP-50 do you guys use for the Apple TV 4K? I’ve had so many handshake issues.
Custom: 4K 30FPS HDR/DV
post #2723 of 3012 Old 04-30-2019, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
When I used this setting I get a ton of frame rate issues on live tv
post #2724 of 3012 Old 05-01-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Compared to your CB with or w/o Dirac?
Both the CB and the MP-50 without any EQ. I do not like what Dirac Live does in my room.

Dave
post #2725 of 3012 Old 05-01-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
When I used this setting I get a ton of frame rate issues on live tv

Also what happens with 24P movie content?

Noah
post #2726 of 3012 Old 05-01-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Dave

Does anyone have any input?

Dave
post #2727 of 3012 Old 05-01-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Both the CB and the MP-50 without any EQ. I do not like what Dirac Live does in my room.

Dave
Very interesting. I want to know more about your initial impressions of the MP-50 vs the CB.

Any changes to your perception? Tried RoomPerfect yet? The appeal of RoomPerfect to me is its subwoofer integration. What is your speaker/sub configuration and placement?
post #2728 of 3012 Old 05-01-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
Dave
Dave, I have not encountered any of these issues you describe. My guess is that you are using the OSD Setup. I stopped using that long ago and use the web interface over the home network. Connect the unit to your network. I just checked and I am able to switch units and define dB levels for speakers individually.

Regarding the Hopper, I would create a new source so you are back to factory defaults. You can view HDMI source information via the web interface. The issue may just be a HDMI cable that needs to be replaced. Also, try setting the Hopper to 720p. It may be that 1080i is an issue for the MP-50.

[email protected] can be of assistance but can take ~12 hours to respond due to time zone difference.
post #2729 of 3012 Old 05-01-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very interesting. I want to know more about your initial impressions of the MP-50 vs the CB.

Any changes to your perception? Tried RoomPerfect yet? The appeal of RoomPerfect to me is its subwoofer integration. What is your speaker/sub configuration and placement?

Hi Marc,

Keep in mind, I had just plugged in the MP-50, and the CB had many hours on it. When first plugged in, the MP-50 seemed light/thin in its sonics, while the CB is like a beast with tremendous bass and huge dynamic swings, combined with a nice delicacy on the quieter passages. The MP-50 is getting better - it's only been 4 days (maybe 7 hours per day). I want to live with it for a month, before running RoomPerfect.

Also, I had a post with some questions regarding levels and distances, so if you can help out, that would be great!

I am running (and will only be able to run) 7.1. The sub is in the front left corner, L/R front floorstanders, center channel above the TV, and the four surrounds in the ceiling. For both processors, I am crossing over the 7 speakers at 80, and the LFE (on the MP-50) at 125.

Dave
post #2730 of 3012 Old 05-01-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dave, I have not encountered any of these issues you describe. My guess is that you are using the OSD Setup. I stopped using that long ago and use the web interface over the home network. Connect the unit to your network. I just checked and I am able to switch units and define dB levels for speakers individually.

Regarding the Hopper, I would create a new source so you are back to factory defaults. You can view HDMI source information via the web interface. The issue may just be a HDMI cable that needs to be replaced. Also, try setting the Hopper to 720p. It may be that 1080i is an issue for the MP-50.

[email protected] can be of assistance but can take ~12 hours to respond due to time zone difference.

Thanks Marc. Yes, I set it up via the OSD. I tried to connect to my network, as well as directly to my laptop (with a switch in-between), but it didn't seem like it wanted to work. I'll have to try it again.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lyngdorf , mp-50 , owner's , processor , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page