The "Official" NAD Classic Series C338, C368 & C388 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #91 of 146 Old 06-06-2018, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
My C388 came back from repair .

It was not a firmware issue. It was a problem with an internal cable/connector.
Happy now the problem is solved. De amp was not moved during the emerging of this problem.

Unfortunately the rebooting during power on problem is back. It only happens when the unit is cold. When warmed up it does not happen. The first week after repair it was OK, but now starts to happen again.

NAD says it could still be a firmware issue and sent me a file to try out.

PS. The startpost has not been updates quite some time now (old firmware).

Last edited by Fairy; 06-06-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 146 Old 06-07-2018, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have just received a new firmware, which should do the freeze fix.
MAIN v1.61
VFD v1.21
BT v1.26 - the same than before

Let me try it.
post #93 of 146 Old 06-17-2018, 11:48 PM

So far so good

Using over a week and no freeze, looks good. Before I had freezes on daily bases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 146 Old 06-25-2018, 12:13 PM

Good to hear,

I have had the same firmware from NAD directly, but it didn't solve the problem in my case.

Mine is sent in again for repair, it's now gone since june 8th. Hope to get it back soon. This is the 2nd time I have to miss my amplifier.

Really frustrating!
post #95 of 146 Old 06-29-2018, 08:04 PM

Liked: 8
My C375 on TV/Party (spotify connect in TV) duty finally went poof after 5 years - so I went to the dealers to get another one. It did very well serving as a brute amp for playing loud. Man did it get hot some nights. Discovered they are discontinued and the C388 was offered to me as a replacement. After a listen at the dealers, I bought it.. Certainly has the same oomph the C375 did, and seems to offer more insight and clarity compared to the 375. And I could use the digital out from the TV instead of the analogue using the C388's DAC.

Im a little worried after reading this thread, this amp will get a workout in this room so I will post back if something goes wrong.

On the plus side, strangely the firmware update (from 1.47-1.58?) seemed to widen the soundstage and even my non-audiophile house mates heard it. We did the update and suddenly they agreed the sound was out further from the speakers. Placebo or not, no complaints here, just powerful clear sound. It runs WAY cooler too.
post #96 of 146 Old 07-08-2018, 12:23 AM

It runs a lot cooler, that's true. Sound should not differ as far as I know.

Mine is still on repair since june 8th. A full month now and it's the second repair. Had contact with the service partner and they cannot reproduce the problem.

I'm quite mad at the fact that I miss my amp for almost 1,5 months now. Next time I'm gonna insist on a replacement.
post #97 of 146 Old 07-20-2018, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm thinking about adding BluOs to my NAD C388 amp, i already have Spotify but not to bothered about tidal as its quite exspensive ( twice the price of spotify) and i think the Spotify interface is much better. I also have a Yamaha network streamer for internet radio.
Is it worth me adding BluOs ?
I don't want to pay extra for really exspensive streaming services , are there any free hi-res audio streams on bluos ?
post #98 of 146 Old 07-30-2018, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Critchley View Post
I'm thinking about adding BluOs to my NAD C388 amp, i already have Spotify but not to bothered about tidal as its quite exspensive ( twice the price of spotify) and i think the Spotify interface is much better. I also have a Yamaha network streamer for internet radio.
Is it worth me adding BluOs ?
I don't want to pay extra for really exspensive streaming services , are there any free hi-res audio streams on bluos ?
The C388 with the BluOS card is terrible for usage with Spotify. Constant bugs and glitches. I'd look elsewhere for wireless connectivity.
post #99 of 146 Old 07-31-2018, 11:03 AM

Today my NAD C388 amp was taken away for repair.
At first the remote stopped working so it was replaced that seemed to fix the problem.
But last Saturday the new remote started playing up again, it would stop working for a couple of minutes at a time and when it was working again ( the remote lit up so i could clearly see it was working by looking through a camera lense) the amp would not receive any signal from the remote.
What do you think the problem could be?
post #100 of 146 Old 08-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalibor View Post
I have just received a new firmware, which should do the freeze fix.
MAIN v1.61
VFD v1.21
BT v1.26 - the same than before

Let me try it.
I guess they never released this on their site...they still have 1.58

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
post #101 of 146 Old 08-13-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
I guess they never released this on their site...they still have 1.58
what does the new update do ?
post #102 of 146 Old 08-13-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainframe99 View Post
My C375 on TV/Party (spotify connect in TV) duty finally went poof after 5 years - so I went to the dealers to get another one. It did very well serving as a brute amp for playing loud. Man did it get hot some nights. Discovered they are discontinued and the C388 was offered to me as a replacement. After a listen at the dealers, I bought it.. Certainly has the same oomph the C375 did, and seems to offer more insight and clarity compared to the 375. And I could use the digital out from the TV instead of the analogue using the C388's DAC.

Im a little worried after reading this thread, this amp will get a workout in this room so I will post back if something goes wrong.

On the plus side, strangely the firmware update (from 1.47-1.58?) seemed to widen the soundstage and even my non-audiophile house mates heard it. We did the update and suddenly they agreed the sound was out further from the speakers. Placebo or not, no complaints here, just powerful clear sound. It runs WAY cooler too.
Funny you mention that the sound stage sounded better as i have just done the v1.61 and that was the first thing i thought after updating my amp, everything now sounds a little clearer
post #103 of 146 Old 08-14-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
At first the remote stopped working so it was replaced that seemed to fix the problem.
But last Saturday the new remote started playing up again, it would stop working for a couple of minutes at a time and when it was working again ( the remote lit up so i could clearly see it was working by looking through a camera lense) the amp would not receive any signal from the remote.
No idea, but given the constant problems I have with mine, I'm not surprised you're having issues such as this one.
post #104 of 146 Old 08-15-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfour View Post
Quote:
No idea, but given the constant problems I have with mine, I'm not surprised you're having issues such as this one.
]
For some reason they couldn't find a fault with the amp i have no idea how because when they sent it back to me it had exactly the same problem as before i sent it off for repair so i phoned up imedieatly to complain luckily they have now replaced it with a new unit.
When i bought it new it came with a 6 year warranty and this gave me confidence that it was a reliable product, hopefully i don't have any more problems with it again .
post #105 of 146 Old 08-18-2018, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
PS. The startpost has not been updates quite some time now (old firmware).
The startpost is now updated with the latest firmware information

NAD C368 - Dali Opticon 6 (walnut) - Pro-Ject RPM 1 (White) - LG 60LB870V - AppleTV
post #106 of 146 Old 08-19-2018, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Pretty sure my firmware is the same as shipped with the product 1+ year ago. I didn’t see any place to force an update via the app. How do you go about doing an update?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #107 of 146 Old 08-20-2018, 08:44 AM

C 388 Software Upgrade - V1.64 - Resolve the occasional issue of units with installed

C388 V1.64 software package includes the following software version details:
• Main : v1.64
• VFD : v1.21
• BT : v1.26

C388 software update V 1.64 is a maintenance release that includes the following changes:
• Resolve the occasional issue of units with installed MDC BluOS card not powering up from standby mode
• Improvements to BluOS Upgrade process

I will test it this week. Last 1.61 unofficial release I had completely resolved my freeze startup problem. Looking forward this 1.64 will not be worse.

Someone asked if BlueOS is worth to buy:
To me definitely yes!
For not a big money you will get high end network player. Otherwise you would need to spent much more for a standalone unit.
I use Spotify and NAS library. Works like it should.
I prefer Spotify (even it is compressed) because it has a standard Spotify application and I use the same also in the office and car. From iPhone and Apple Watch (I use just next and previous commands from Watch) I control what I listen. BlueOS has also Watch support, but I have not tested it much.
post #108 of 146 Old 08-21-2018, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
c368 ht bypass - firmware

From hometheaterhifi.com review:

"With the long list of features that the C368 offers, it is a pity that a home-theater bypass is not currently included. Many people have integrated stereo and home-theater surround systems and a home-theater bypass feature is definitely nice to have. The representative from the company told me however, that this feature would be available as a software upgrade later this year."

Has firmware with ht bypass been released?
post #109 of 146 Old 08-31-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalibor View Post
C388 V1.64 software package includes the following software version details:
• Main : v1.64
• VFD : v1.21
• BT : v1.26

C388 software update V 1.64 is a maintenance release that includes the following changes:
• Resolve the occasional issue of units with installed MDC BluOS card not powering up from standby mode
• Improvements to BluOS Upgrade process

I will test it this week. Last 1.61 unofficial release I had completely resolved my freeze startup problem. Looking forward this 1.64 will not be worse.

Someone asked if BlueOS is worth to buy:
To me definitely yes!
For not a big money you will get high end network player. Otherwise you would need to spent much more for a standalone unit.
I use Spotify and NAS library. Works like it should.
I prefer Spotify (even it is compressed) because it has a standard Spotify application and I use the same also in the office and car. From iPhone and Apple Watch (I use just next and previous commands from Watch) I control what I listen. BlueOS has also Watch support, but I have not tested it much.
I'm incredibly surprised (and jealous!) to hear that Spotify works well for you. I have nothing but problems with mine--it has been an utterly awful experience in my opinion. Bad enough that I will never consider buying an NAD product again.
post #110 of 146 Old 09-09-2018, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 161
HT Bypass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legionow112 View Post
From hometheaterhifi.com review:

"With the long list of features that the C368 offers, it is a pity that a home-theater bypass is not currently included. Many people have integrated stereo and home-theater surround systems and a home-theater bypass feature is definitely nice to have. The representative from the company told me however, that this feature would be available as a software upgrade later this year."

Has firmware with ht bypass been released?
I have come here just now to ask the same question. I was ready to buy the C388 several months ago because I had read somewhere that it had HT Bypass, but then I have read elsewhere that it was going to be added in a Firmware update. But has it? There's so much conflicting information out there that I think we really need to hear from an owner who uses this feature!

I would be combining the 388 with my Denon 3400H receiver and KEF R500 speakers to offload stereo music duties.

Sony 55X930C - Denon X3400H - KEF R500 / R200c / R50 / Arendal Sub 1 (5.1.2) - Panasonic UB700 UHD Player - PS4 Pro - Xbox One X - Switch
post #111 of 146 Old 09-25-2018, 11:38 AM

Absolutely!

My JBL car stereo sounds about as good as this amp - but at least that had a midrange adjustment - and that is exactly where the 'hole' in the sound is. Timbre, resonance, richness, or whatever you call it, is hollow and thin sounding. I hate it actually, but the connectivity and convenience this combo offers for the cost makes it tolerable. Cranking the bass up only affects the deep low end of the spectrum not the mid-bass at all.

If you like rock music, it sounds almost like an old, but good, transistor radio; so if you liked that sound, you will enjoy this.

I sure hope the powers that be at NAD seriously consider allow customers midrange boost / cut control; or moving the crossover for the bass more towards the midrange. I mean who cares about inaudible frequency rumble anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Porter View Post
Well, I kept the C368 for almost two weeks. I tried everything... firmware updates, different speakers, different sources... digital (toslink and coax), analog, nothing helped. Everything sounded flat and lifeless. My girlfriend (who is a musician) actually asked if it was broken. There was even a huge hole in the frequency range in the midbass that was obvious once you noticed it, it was super weird. At ear-splitting reference volumes it woke up and sounded reasonably balanced... but at normal listening levels it was oddly flat in a way that didn't sound right.

I had great results when I used it as a DAC/pre and hooked the pre-outs to my old B&K ST-202. Immediate, huge impact, with a rich soundstage, dynamics, and texture even at low volume. But the C368 by itself had no drive at all.

I had to return it. Maybe I had a unit with a defective power amp section, I have no idea. But as it stands, I can't recommend it.

Has anyone else had an experience like this with one of the recent NADs?
post #112 of 146 Old 10-12-2018, 01:08 PM

Is anyone experiencing issues with nad C388 Bluetooth right now?
My amp is not connecting to spotify when i select it even when the amp and phone are both sinked, to make it connect i have to switch the amp off then turn it on to make the connection work ??
post #113 of 146 Old 10-28-2018, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi, I have issues with my c338. It connects to wifi, I can find it in Google home and I can stream using Spotify. After a while, lasted one hour last time, it drops the connection to wifi(is my guess). After a reboot of the amp it finds the connection again. I don't have any issues with the network. My Chromecast ultra works fine all the time. Anyone else experiencing this?
post #114 of 146 Old 10-28-2018, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, saw this issue in the last 2 weeks 2 times - when playing the C388 very loud - after a minute or even less the C388 just powers off completely.
The first time I saw an error on the display "AC error" or something - 2nd time I was just bumping up the volume and it shut down.

Any ideas why?
post #115 of 146 Old 10-28-2018, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianCarle View Post
Hi, I have issues with my c338. It connects to wifi, I can find it in Google home and I can stream using Spotify. After a while, lasted one hour last time, it drops the connection to wifi(is my guess). After a reboot of the amp it finds the connection again. I don't have any issues with the network. My Chromecast ultra works fine all the time. Anyone else experiencing this?
My 388 disconnects all the time although the music keeps playing. It's annoying.

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
post #116 of 146 Old 10-29-2018, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianCarle View Post
My 388 disconnects all the time although the music keeps playing. It's annoying.
Ok. For me the music stops as well 🤨...
post #117 of 146 Old 10-31-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrommel View Post
Hi all, saw this issue in the last 2 weeks 2 times - when playing the C388 very loud - after a minute or even less the C388 just powers off completely.
The first time I saw an error on the display "AC error" or something - 2nd time I was just bumping up the volume and it shut down.

Any ideas why?
I have same problem. My unit has been shutting down 2 times in a week. First time after 1 minute playing and second time after half an hour playing (volume -35- -40). I was not able to see display. Did ya found any solution?
post #118 of 146 Old 11-04-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrommel View Post

Any ideas why?
I have same problem. My unit has been shutting down 2 times in a week. First time after 1 minute playing and second time after half an hour playing (volume -35- -40). I was not able to see display. Did ya found any solution?
The problem is that these new hybrid NAD amps are rubbish, i have gone through two amps in one year both with different problems .
Based on my experience i won't be investing into NAD products in the future!
post #119 of 146 Old 12-01-2018, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Specifically registered to comment on the Chromecast issues. I've been experiencing similar problems since 10 days.

NAD C338, firmware version 1.65. Regardless the application (radio, spotify, soundcloud, browser), or device, all streams to the build-in Chromecast pause after about 10 seconds.

Please quote this message to find out if more are having similar issues..
For the rest, the amplifier works fine.
post #120 of 146 Old 12-05-2018, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Interesting threads on the NAD 388/368. I’m thinking of purchasing the C368, and am wondering if that particular amp has less, or no problems as compared with the C388? I’ve had NAD equipment in the past, some outstanding, some not so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
c338 , c368 , c388 , Nad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page