The "Official" NAD Classic Series C338, C368 & C388 Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #121 of 157 Old 12-11-2018, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsap2 View Post
Interesting threads on the NAD 388/368. I’m thinking of purchasing the C368, and am wondering if that particular amp has less, or no problems as compared with the C388? I’ve had NAD equipment in the past, some outstanding, some not so much.
My C388 is one year old. No single error, problem. I don't have blueos. Maybe this is why it works so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 157 Old 12-11-2018, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkilon View Post
My C388 is one year old. No single error, problem. I don't have blueos. Maybe this is why it works so good.
Thanks for vote of confidence, Ikilon! I’m still on the fence about what my next amp/integrated amp will be. Lot’s of things to like about NAD, I’m just a bit concerned about the longevity of these amps, both physically, and support wise.

Tom
post #123 of 157 Old 12-15-2018, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Bought a C328 on wednesday, returned it today and replaced it with a C368.

What a difference!

The C328 did have better bass control than the receiver it replaced, but the midrange and tweeter sounded flat. It didn´t feel as "dynamic" or open. The lack of any upgradability in terms of power also made me rethink the decision. Replaced it for a C368 and it sounds alot better. It might have been that the C328 was a bad unit, but the C368 is definitely an upgrade with tighter bass and better dynamics.

Expensive. Yet worth it. My B&W 685 S2 has never sounded as good as they do now.
bootster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 157 Old 12-16-2018, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlsb View Post

What a difference!

The C328 did have better bass control than the receiver it replaced, but the midrange and tweeter sounded flat. It didn´t feel as "dynamic" or open. The lack of any upgradability in terms of power also made me rethink the decision. Replaced it for a C368 and it sounds alot better. It might have been that the C328 was a bad unit, but the C368 is definitely an upgrade with tighter bass and better dynamics.

Expensive. Yet worth it. My B&W 685 S2 has never sounded as good as they do now.
Don't look now, but a lot of "Newbie" posters are trashing NAD's reputation as a reliable brand recently. It's the nature of the beast, and I'm not talking about NAD.

You are correct that the C368 is a great product. The new class D components from NAD are highly regarded among those in the know.
post #125 of 157 Old 01-06-2019, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, does someone knows power consumption of the Nad C368 and C388 ? It’s written nowhere, just in standby <0.5w.
Thank you.
post #126 of 157 Old 01-16-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlsb View Post

What a difference!

The C328 did have better bass control than the receiver it replaced, but the midrange and tweeter sounded flat. It didn&#180;t feel as "dynamic" or open. The lack of any upgradability in terms of power also made me rethink the decision. Replaced it for a C368 and it sounds alot better. It might have been that the C328 was a bad unit, but the C368 is definitely an upgrade with tighter bass and better dynamics.

Don't look now, but a lot of "Newbie" posters are trashing NAD's reputation as a reliable brand recently. It's the nature of the beast, and I'm not talking about NAD.

You are correct that the C368 is a great product. The new class D components from NAD are highly regarded among those in the know.
my new Rotel ra1592 that replaced two faulty NAD C388,
Absolutely wipes the floor with my old NAD C388 . All i can say is that i wish i had bought the Rotel in the first place.
post #127 of 157 Old 01-23-2019, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I have the Powernote2 but I can still return it and get another amplifier.

Will the C338 be a better choice or should I go with the C368? (like the smaller size C338 though)

I dont really care about bluesound if I can stream Tidal hifi via chromecast.. Will this chromecast keep working and be supported? now when chromcast audio has stopped.
post #128 of 157 Old 01-29-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayoh View Post
Absolutely!
My JBL car stereo sounds about as good as this amp - but at least that had a midrange adjustment - and that is exactly where the 'hole' in the sound is. Timbre, resonance, richness, or whatever you call it, is hollow and thin sounding. I hate it actually, but the connectivity and convenience this combo offers for the cost makes it tolerable. Cranking the bass up only affects the deep low end of the spectrum not the mid-bass at all.
Damn. I just got my new C368 2 days ago and out of box, connected to coax CD Player, straight Redbook CD...it was flat as a pancake with my new LS50s. I spent a day rearranging placement of the speakers, fiddling with settings, bass/treble, different CDs...all sounded flat. I didn't have anything to compare it with until I was updating my CD player firmware (last hope) and for giggles played the CD through my Pioneer TV soundbar with a mini sub (sub was SPL matched to the soundbar). Quick SPL level match to the NAD and boom, punchy, lively sound I'd been missing...pissed me off to no end. No way a soundbar and a mini sub should compete.

I came here looking for suggestions and just found this thread.

There's got to be something screwy with their software or DAC...like others, if I turn it up to 100+ decibels it SOUNDS GREAT but at 70-75, reasonable listening level, its dull flat like Kansas flat.

Has anyone experienced this and solved it? Its almost like it needs an old fashioned "Loudness" button to get the proper equalization...but you should only need that at much lower volume. There's no snap to the snare, not enough thud to the midbase, attack in guitar strings is muted (not enough twang). Sultans of Swing sounds like a muddy mess, which is my gold standard.

I haven't played with the other inputs or the new BlueOS 2i MDC module...but as I understand it, that MDC module uses the amp's DAC, so doubt it would be different.

Gold star to anyone with suggestions before I send it back.

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #129 of 157 Old 01-30-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdayton View Post
Damn. I just got my new C368 2 days ago and out of box, connected to coax CD Player, straight Redbook CD...it was flat as a pancake with my new LS50s. I spent a day rearranging placement of the speakers, fiddling with settings, bass/treble, different CDs...all sounded flat. I didn't have anything to compare it with until I was updating my CD player firmware (last hope) and for giggles played the CD through my Pioneer TV soundbar with a mini sub (sub was SPL matched to the soundbar). Quick SPL level match to the NAD and boom, punchy, lively sound I'd been missing...pissed me off to no end. No way a soundbar and a mini sub should compete.

I came here looking for suggestions and just found this thread.

There's got to be something screwy with their software or DAC...like others, if I turn it up to 100+ decibels it SOUNDS GREAT but at 70-75, reasonable listening level, its dull flat like Kansas flat.

Has anyone experienced this and solved it? Its almost like it needs an old fashioned "Loudness" button to get the proper equalization...but you should only need that at much lower volume. There's no snap to the snare, not enough thud to the midbase, attack in guitar strings is muted (not enough twang). Sultans of Swing sounds like a muddy mess, which is my gold standard.

I haven't played with the other inputs or the new BlueOS 2i MDC module...but as I understand it, that MDC module uses the amp's DAC, so doubt it would be different.

Gold star to anyone with suggestions before I send it back.
For anyone passing by, I returned the NAD unit. I brought in a smaller DAC/AMP, an old Nuforce Icon2 out of the attic for comparison. It was night and day, the little 18 wpc Icon sounded much better. Level matching so the Nuforce was producing same average SPL as the NAD on same material, I finally figured out (I think) that the NAD is compressing the dynamic range. Happened on analog as well as digital input, no earthly idea why.

At same average SPL 70, I'm seeing difference of 5-10 decibels in the peaks between the NAD and the Icon.

Up next, a Marantz HD-AMP1

post #130 of 157 Old 02-10-2019, 09:13 PM

I've had the C388 with LS50's for a month now. The NAD replaced an Arcam A19 with the original rDac. I run the NAD with a BLUOS 2 module playing tidal MQA.

I know what your talking about, having experienced a similar story with my LS50's. I'd say it's more a matter of taste and time however.

The Arcam and LS50 are a regarded match but I think the NAD does a better all-round job. Yes it loses some of the sparkle the previous combo had but bass and energetic music is handled much better, thus I can listen to a broader range of music.

I think your problem with this combo is that it doesn't play to the LS50's strengths which suits more analytical listening. It makes them sound like a great "normal" speaker but doesn't allow them to shine in their own unique way.

I was really enjoying my previous setup when I sold it but it took me a long time to adapt to the sound (could be harsh at times). I think if I started with my current setup 6 years ago I would have been in immediate love. As it stands, it will take a little more time for me to fully adapt to the NAD sound.

Turning up the treble on the tone controls got me half way there. It seems the sound NAD was aiming for with their base EQ was for easy listening/non-audiophile adapted ears which is a decent ploy to get the younger generation in the game.

Yes, it sounds best for me also when turned to at least 80 dB. Don't recommend this pairing for quiet listening.

The user experience however with BluOS is AMAZING. So easy, I dont even have to touch the power button, volume rocker or remote. This paired with the overall sound quality, single box tidyness and price I think makes it unbeatable.

The NAD C388 is all-round very sonically competent but may lack any one particular strength (apart from the bass) that could allow otherwise inferior systems to have more wow-factor (for some songs/sounds).

PS. Sultans of Swing sounds very good on my setup, well separated and definitely not muddy. BUT it's not a track I frequent so unfortunately can't compare to other systems based on that song.
post #131 of 157 Old 02-17-2019, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Have MDC BluOS 2i in my NAD C368, anyone know how AirPlay 2 works with Radio Paradise app on iOS ?

𝕊𝕖𝕥𝕦𝕡 | 𝕊𝕒𝕞𝕤𝕦𝕟𝕘 𝟞𝟝ℚ𝟡𝔽ℕ | 𝔸𝕋𝕍𝟜𝕂 | ℙ𝕊𝟜 ℙ𝕣𝕠 | ℕ𝔸𝔻 ℂ𝟛𝟞𝟠 + 𝕄𝔻ℂ 𝔹𝕝𝕦𝕆𝕊 𝟚𝕚 | ℕ𝔸𝔻 ℂ𝟚𝟞𝟠 | ℕ𝔸𝔻 𝕋𝟟𝟜𝟛 | 𝔻𝔸𝕃𝕀 ℤ𝕖𝕟𝕤𝕠𝕣 𝟟 |

Last edited by Dymo; 02-17-2019 at 02:17 AM.
post #132 of 157 Old 03-02-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Critchley View Post
Absolutely wipes the floor with my old NAD C388 . All i can say is that i wish i had bought the Rotel in the first place.
Bit of an silly comparison don't you think? The Rotel costs approx £2100, £600 more than the NAD. It should sound considerably better.

Last edited by Fraziel; 03-02-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #133 of 157 Old 03-02-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
The C388 has plenty of power. I have CM10 s2's and the C388 and have measured to amount of current drawn even at high volumes it drives them VERY easy.
The C388 has 150 watts per channel and even 250watt per channel dynamic, up to 400 watts in 2 ohm. The C268 is 80watt per channel, way less than the C388. But nonetheless the C268 has more than enough power for the average living room....!

BI-Amping is (according to me) utter nonsense. The high frequency speakers draw almost no power and have absolutely no influence on the low end and vice versa.

If you really want more power you need 2 C268's in bridge to get just 50 wpc extra...

It looks nice though, but I suggest keeping your money in your pocket. Also the extra amp has less power in stereo mode than the C388.

Also there is a risk of degrading the sound, because you need to use RCA cables to connect the pre-out to the extra amp, so chances are you invest a lot of money and end up with a less than ideal sound, because you have a lot of extra analog steps in the chain now. Also when the extra amp has an 'other' color added to the sound there is no way to equalize that.

I think you want to invest in an upgrade while you have a good setup you cannot make any better by spending money in these extra amplifiers.

If you really think the C388 is not good enough, you should sell it and buy an amp a step higher on the ladder, but even then I doubt the difference will be noticeable.

Bi amping is not nonsense. It can make an enormous difference. I had an Arcam amp and bi amped it using the integrated as a preamp and the power amp to drive the speakers. Sound opened up like a veil had been lifted. Not a subtle difference but a significant and marked one. Sounded like i had bought a new amp at twice the price. However in this case I agree, there is no point in adding a c268 to a c388.
post #134 of 157 Old 03-02-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraziel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Critchley View Post
Bit of an absurd comparison don't you think? The Rotel costs approx &#163;2100, &#163;600 more than the NAD.
No not at all, most people in the market for amplifier in this price range are able to up there budget by &#163;500 or so in order to get the right amplifier .
The NAD C388 has been put in the same catagory as the Rotel before in various reviews anyway .
post #135 of 157 Old 03-15-2019, 09:19 PM

Update to my experience with the C388 and kef ls50.

Replaced the Ls50s with focal aria 906.

Much better at low volumes and high. More bass layers and realism to the mids and sound stage.

I think the big difference is the way the speakers "present" the music.

With the ls50s, everything is forward and wide, I like to think they love to "show off". With the right amp they can sound magical but even then may limit your choice of music.

The arias in comparison sound like they are presenting music on a stage, the music is still wide but focus more on depth which is right where the C388 likes to do its thing. Thus a better pairing.

Not sure technically what determines these different sound stages but this experience makes me think speaker/amp pairing is all about matching presentation, maybe not so much about bright/warm etc.

Very happy now, best UI, tidy setup, great sound. 👌
post #136 of 157 Old 03-31-2019, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hello,

I am currently researching the NAD C388 and have one question.

Does this Amp have the capability to connect to a computer and play back high res files?

For example, other amps, like the Yamaha A-S801 has a USB Type B connection to connect to a computer and the internal DAC can handle DSD type files and other high res playback.

Is the C388 capable of doing that?

I looked at their upgrade modules and researched on their website but they do not mention such capability.

Thanks
post #137 of 157 Old 04-01-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashiq73 View Post
Hello,

I am currently researching the NAD C388 and have one question.

Does this Amp have the capability to connect to a computer and play back high res files?

For example, other amps, like the Yamaha A-S801 has a USB Type B connection to connect to a computer and the internal DAC can handle DSD type files and other high res playback.

Is the C388 capable of doing that?

I looked at their upgrade modules and researched on their website but they do not mention such capability.

Thanks
It won't do DSD but will handle all other files from your computer w/the BluOS module. Without the module you can feed the amp directly if your computer has an optical or coax digital out, or you can use a USB to S/PDIF adapter if it doesn't.

HT/Music Atmos setup with Scaena line arrays and Storm Audio processor

http://www.outreachav.com
Dealer for Paradigm/Anthem, NAD, Hegel, Storm Audio, PS Audio, more... PM about demos/specials
post #138 of 157 Old 04-01-2019, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblnr View Post
It won't do DSD but will handle all other files from your computer w/the BluOS module. Without the module you can feed the amp directly if your computer has an optical or coax digital out, or you can use a USB to S/PDIF adapter if it doesn't.
Thanks, that's good to know.

I will have to think about that.
post #139 of 157 Old 04-22-2019, 10:54 AM

How does the NAD C 388 BluOS-2i handle Bass Management when compared with the Outlaw RR2160?
The Outlaw RR2160 Bass Management has
Adjustable 60/80/100/Bypass
High-Pass Slope 12 dB/octave (2nd order)
Low-Pass Slope 12 dB/octave (2nd order).
What is the advantages or disadvantages between the two in regards
to Bass Management?
I’ll be using Klipsch Forte iii Speakers with an SVS PB-400 Subwoofer.
post #140 of 157 Old 05-05-2019, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootster View Post

Hey July 2018, who you calling newbie?

My 368 sounded like crap, so I returned it. I wanted to like it, it’s a PITA to rebox, ship and start over.

post #141 of 157 Old 05-06-2019, 11:35 AM

Happy Owners?

I recently bought a Bluesound Node 2, and am looking to upgrade to an integrated amp. I stumbled upon a C368 with Blueos built in, and I thought that is exactly what I am looking for all on one box. After reading this forum I am a concerned about the satisfaction of people who own this unit.
I know the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but I am concerned about the issues that have been raised here. I am not interested in this unit without Blueos. I have found a refurb with mfg’s 1 year warranty for $899 that I am interested in.
I guess my questions are -have most of the issues been fixed via firmware updates? Are most of you happy with the purchase, and would you buy it again.?
post #142 of 157 Old 05-15-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianCarle View Post
Hi, I have issues with my c338. It connects to wifi, I can find it in Google home and I can stream using Spotify. After a while, lasted one hour last time, it drops the connection to wifi(is my guess). After a reboot of the amp it finds the connection again. I don't have any issues with the network. My Chromecast ultra works fine all the time. Anyone else experiencing this?
I have the same issue with lost connection on my NAD C 338. Did you solve the problem @ChristianCarle ?
post #143 of 157 Old 05-15-2019, 02:09 PM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Interesting thread both pro and con the various Nads. I'm considering a 368 or a 388 (with BluOS) to drive a pair of Magnepan LRSs (haven't ordered anything yet). I have local dealers for both. Do you think either Nad has enough oomph for the LRSs? I don't need extreme volume; if bass is inadequate, I plan to get a sub.
post #144 of 157 Old 06-27-2019, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Alternatives to C368

It seems as NAD C368/388 may not be best choice to many. Because of its flatness or other reasons.

What are the alternatives? Currently I can pick c 368 for £699 with BluOS 2.

My speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 100.

What other stereo amps with built in DAC support MQA?
post #145 of 157 Old 07-01-2019, 09:24 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 44
When I discovered that my local dealer had a C368 with the BluOS module available at a discount (because it was a shelf model), decided to get it. I had a little difficulty setting it up, and the NAD support staff suggested I do a firmware update, which I did. I finally got it working at my primary home, but had some concerns because it wouldn't see the digital outputs from my SACD player (the analog outputs worked fine). I moved it to my vacation/retirement home, where the only sources I have are the internet and an old CD player. I currently am learning to use it with some old bookshelf speakers; I have a pair of AR15s and a pair of KLH17s. I ran speaker wires from the speaker 2 outputs to my basement work/computer room and am now running it with both sets of speakers on simultaneously, streaming using Tunein. It seems to have plenty of power at 30%; I tried turning the volume up and the speakers (and my ears) began complaining before I got to 90%. My wife and I auditioned a pair of Magnepan LRSs and plan to get them to replace my old bookshelves.

I haven't gotten the hang of all the ways to control it: front panel, the included remote, Blusound app on my iPhone and iPad, and on my computer. These network-connected apps don't seem to control everything on the 368; there is a NAD app available but my dealer says that app is way out of date and unnecessary. In my current setting, I use the iPad and iPhone apps to change source and the front panel or remote to control the volume and turn on and off the two speaker zones.

I have another disk player which plays SACDs, etc. but only has HDMI outs. It's not in the room where the C368 is located, but if I wanted to move it, would the NAD be able to decoded the DSD output from the SACD player (I assume that's the digital format in the HDMI output). I actually have ripped the CD layer of all my SACDs onto a computer and flash drive, so I can play them that way, but it wouldn't be hi-resolution. Maybe the solution would be get an HDMI-to-Analog device with a DSD-compatible DAC in it, but I don't know what that would be.
post #146 of 157 Old 07-01-2019, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have auditioned nad 368 with bluos and monitor audio silver 100.

Lows and mids are wonderful, amazing. Highs are too bright, after 30min of listening I had to lower the volume to the point there was no poi t to listen anymore.

Music was mainly mqa from tidal. Metallica sounded the worst, very flat, kind of like 64bit mp3. I loved liquid stranger and all other bass heavy tracks. They were wonderful.

I think that this amp needs very warm and soft speakers.

I am still in a search for right stereo amp for my ma silver 100.

Rega brio may fit nice, so they say. Although latest model is 3 years old, perhaps there will be never and better one soon?
post #147 of 157 Old 07-27-2019, 11:49 AM

Liked: 12
Alright folks, I just ordered a refurbed C 368 ($850) and pairing with Ascends Sierra 2-EX bookshelves. I've read through this thread and seen many complaints on software bugs and not too many glowing reviews etc. I went ahead with the purchase anyways because I've looked damn hard and can't find anything that has similar features for the same price. If there is please let me know because I'm still in that 30 day return window haha.

Anyways...I'll post impressions when I get everything. Pretty excited for my first hifi setup!
Bsound likes this.
post #148 of 157 Old 07-28-2019, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase14240 View Post
Alright folks, I just ordered a refurbed C 368 ($850) and pairing with Ascends Sierra 2-EX bookshelves. I've read through this thread and seen many complaints on software bugs and not too many glowing reviews etc. I went ahead with the purchase anyways because I've looked damn hard and can't find anything that has similar features for the same price. If there is please let me know because I'm still in that 30 day return window haha.

Anyways...I'll post impressions when I get everything. Pretty excited for my first hifi setup!
I've been using the C368 with Sierra 2's for a couple of years. It has performed flawlessly for me and I love the sound and the features. Would love to hear your impressions of the 2-EX. Dave always comes through so I see and upgrade in my future. Enjoy!
post #149 of 157 Old 07-28-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsound View Post
I've been using the C368 with Sierra 2's for a couple of years. It has performed flawlessly for me and I love the sound and the features. Would love to hear your impressions of the 2-EX. Dave always comes through so I see and upgrade in my future. Enjoy!
Wow awesome, really glad to hear they pair well together! Makes me feel good about my purchase and I'll make sure to update with impressions when everything comes in!
post #150 of 157 Old 07-31-2019, 06:35 AM

Hey...I was wondering if anyone has used a home media server (NAS) to stream music to these integrated nada with the BlueOS module? Or if you know if it should be possible ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
c338 , c368 , c388 , Nad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page