The "Official" NAD Classic Series C338, C368 & C388 Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 171 Old 02-16-2017, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The "Official" NAD Classic Series C338, C368 & C388 Thread

Hi

Thought we could pick up here, where we left off in the "Latest Industry News" thread about these new amplifiers from NAD.

C338:
US:https://nadelectronics.com/product/c...dac-amplifier/
EU:https://nadelectronics.com/en_EU/product/c338/

Latest Firmware version:
MAIN: v1.65

C368:
EU:https://nadelectronics.com/en_EU/pro...dac-amplifier/

Firmware version
MAIN: v1.64
VFD: v1.24
BT: v1.26

C388:
EU:https://nadelectronics.com/en_EU/product/c388/

Firmware version
MAIN: v1.64
VFD: v1.24
BT: v1.26

Reviews:
https://nadelectronics.com/nad-c-368...mmended-award/
http://www.whathifi.com/nad/c-368/review
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-AFaEpi...NAD-C-368.html
http://theaudiophileman.com/nads-c368/
http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/d...lifier-review/

Video:

Cheers Chris

NAD C368 - Dali Opticon 6 (walnut) - Pro-Ject RPM 1 (White) - LG 60LB870V - AppleTV

Last edited by ChrisJJ; 08-18-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 171 Old 02-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Thanks for starting the thread! I had posted in the news thread too.

I had the opportunity to listen to the C368 yesterday and wasn't too impressed. Maybe it was a bad pair of speakers, but I also listened to a Rogue Audio and Hegel which seemed much better to me however they didn't support anywhere near the features or expandability as the NAD.

Maybe I don't like Class D sound?

I'm wondering if I should just end up going with separates instead of an integrated solution. Sales guy did say an integrated would be better quality than an AVR since you're not paying for room correction and HDMI, and the cost goes into the main components.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJJ likes this.
post #3 of 171 Old 02-23-2017, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Hello -
Anyone know if these Hybrid Digital amplifiers do an Analog to Digital conversion on sources connected to the analog line level inputs? Or do they just amplify the incoming analog signal?

Any word on what they use for a DAC? – I don’t think they are “direct digital” DDFA amps are they?
Thanks
JJK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 171 Old 02-24-2017, 01:47 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJK1 View Post
Hello -
I don’t think they are “direct digital” DDFA amps are they?
Thanks
JJK
These NAD amplifiers are Hybrid Digital amplifiers and are not the "DDFA" type.

I can't understand why NAD (and other manufacturers) don't make more amplifier models based on the zetex / ddfa concept. It rocks!

Sure, there is the M32, D7050 and C390DD, but why not more models?

I have a bluesound powernode 1 with the ddfa amp in it, it's amazing. Such a clear, detailled, open sound with plenty of bass control, wow, love it.
post #5 of 171 Old 03-29-2017, 12:43 PM

Liked: 1
Hi All, and thanks for the great forum.

I have recently - this past Saturday - bought the C338. My discovered problem is this; the NAD app for controlling the amp has no current firmware update for the C338. Given that the remote that is included cannot control all aspects of the amp, NAD would appear to be providing incorrect information on their website that the app is available, and if one wants full control over their new amp, they will have to wait. See note posted from the reply I got from NAD.

"Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Center regarding your C338. Please be advised that there is no firmware available at this time for the C338, however, stay tuned as there will be one in the near future to add support for the NAD remote app."

Clearly something that needs addressing as soon as possible.

Spencer
post #6 of 171 Old 03-30-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer F View Post
Hi All, and thanks for the great forum.

I have recently - this past Saturday - bought the C338. My discovered problem is this; the NAD app for controlling the amp has no current firmware update for the C338. Given that the remote that is included cannot control all aspects of the amp, NAD would appear to be providing incorrect information on their website that the app is available, and if one wants full control over their new amp, they will have to wait. See note posted from the reply I got from NAD.

"Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Center regarding your C338. Please be advised that there is no firmware available at this time for the C338, however, stay tuned as there will be one in the near future to add support for the NAD remote app."

Clearly something that needs addressing as soon as possible.

Spencer
Quick update,

From NAD this morning "I believe they put the new firmware up this morning - Check if your C338 has an update available (it might take up to 24hours to work it's way through the system) The new firmware should enable control via the app."

I will try to do the update tonight when I return home, and report back.

S.
hpp8140 likes this.
post #7 of 171 Old 04-02-2017, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer F View Post
Quick update,

From NAD this morning "I believe they put the new firmware up this morning - Check if your C338 has an update available (it might take up to 24hours to work it's way through the system) The new firmware should enable control via the app."

I will try to do the update tonight when I return home, and report back.

S.
Well still no firmware update on the US/EU site for the 338

NAD C368 - Dali Opticon 6 (walnut) - Pro-Ject RPM 1 (White) - LG 60LB870V - AppleTV
post #8 of 171 Old 04-04-2017, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJJ View Post
Well still no firmware update on the US/EU site for the 338
My C 338 received a firmware update last Thursday, which enabled connectivity with the NAD Remote app. It doesn't appear that NAD is posting any firmware details for the C 338 on their site, presumably because the 338 self-updates over wi-fi. I did reply to a support ticket with NAD recommending that they post a change log for firmware updates - both as a clear indication when a firmware has been released, and to indicate what has changed. But at this point it doesn't seem like they'll be doing that.
post #9 of 171 Old 04-06-2017, 11:16 AM

Part of my original comment back to NAD after the firmware update:

"Although the remote app now recognizes my new C338 amp, it has limited functionality. I can perform all of the functions of the original remote that came with the unit, but still have no access the things like tone control, filters, balance or subwoofer control; pretty standard settings you would probably agree." These are all features that are advertised on the remote app download as being available.

The reply from NAD:

"Thank you for your feedback Spencer, you can be sure your comments have been passed on to our product development team for their future consideration."

Tone control and filters are not necessities, but can be nice to fine tune, whereas the pre out and subwoofer control are a little higher on the list of wants.

Not sure at this point that I will keep this amp as I use none of the WIFI or Chromecast options as I leave these to my Auralic Aries and am not in love with the sound.

Spencer.
post #10 of 171 Old 04-06-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Thanks for starting the thread! I had posted in the news thread too.

I had the opportunity to listen to the C368 yesterday and wasn't too impressed. Maybe it was a bad pair of speakers, but I also listened to a Rogue Audio and Hegel which seemed much better to me however they didn't support anywhere near the features or expandability as the NAD.

Maybe I don't like Class D sound?

I'm wondering if I should just end up going with separates instead of an integrated solution. Sales guy did say an integrated would be better quality than an AVR since you're not paying for room correction and HDMI, and the cost goes into the main components.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm an NAD dealer (and Hegel as well) so take this as you will, but I think these new NAD integrateds are terrific values given their SQ/price points. The easy connectivity is a bonus.

While I think the Hegel H80 is better sounding than the 368, it's almost twice as much money; so not particularly comparable to my mind.

If your looking in the 1-2k range, I'd definitely stick with integrateds vs separates. Best of luck in your search.
post #11 of 171 Old 04-08-2017, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
C368 or C388 ?

First time on the forum!!
Simple question:
those two amp seem to be the exact same except for power.
On NAD website, they say ''Speaker A, Speaker B
Stereo or Bridge mode configuration''.
Some website has the back panel picture with bridge mode and some has the picture with normal connection!!!
Why should I chose the C388 if I can bridge the C368 to double the power output?
Any help will be appreciated.
I'm really looking forward to buy one of these with the nice Bluos feature.
Thanks
post #12 of 171 Old 04-09-2017, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How do these compare to the D7050 in sound quality? The NAD website states for the C368 the SNR as >98dB and the THD as <0.03%, while the D7050 is >90dB and ≤0.004%. However, the D7050's "DirectDigital" processing is adopted from the flagship amplifier while the C-series use hybrid digital amplification. I am looking for an amp for the floor-standing GoldenEar Triton 2+ (91dB efficiency).
post #13 of 171 Old 04-11-2017, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Firmware version 1.47 addresses the following:

- BT issues
- DD- BluOS issues
- NAD Remote app Cnnectivity

Info from NAD support.

post #14 of 171 Old 04-13-2017, 12:52 AM

Hi,

First time here. Great forum! I'm thinking about buying C368 to my old Canton GLE 409. And I might also use it to my Monitor Audio Bronze 2. Will it be a good match? The receiver I have now is a Denon AVR2308. C368 must surely be better, right?

BR,

Devotee007
post #15 of 171 Old 04-13-2017, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT13 View Post
How do these compare to the D7050 in sound quality? The NAD website states for the C368 the SNR as >98dB and the THD as <0.03%, while the D7050 is >90dB and ≤0.004%. However, the D7050's "DirectDigital" processing is adopted from the flagship amplifier while the C-series use hybrid digital amplification. I am looking for an amp for the floor-standing GoldenEar Triton 2+ (91dB efficiency).
Both distortion figures are off the charts inaudible. The C series is more robust w/better SQ IMO. The D7050 is excellent sounding and pretty peerless for its size/price, but is designed more for places where you don't want/can't fit a full size component.
JT13 likes this.

Line array-based HT/two channel system

http://www.outreachav.com Dealer for Paradigm/Anthem, NAD, Hegel, Storm Audio, JVC, Sony, Parasound, Neat Acoustics, Roonlabs, more... PM about demos/specials
post #16 of 171 Old 04-13-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotee007 View Post
Hi,

First time here. Great forum! I'm thinking about buying C368 to my old Canton GLE 409. And I might also use it to my Monitor Audio Bronze 2. Will it be a good match? The receiver I have now is a Denon AVR2308. C368 must surely be better, right?

BR,

Devotee007
Again, I'm a dealer, but yeah, the C368 will take charge of your speakers and open up the sound in a way the Denon AVR can't.

Line array-based HT/two channel system

http://www.outreachav.com Dealer for Paradigm/Anthem, NAD, Hegel, Storm Audio, JVC, Sony, Parasound, Neat Acoustics, Roonlabs, more... PM about demos/specials
post #17 of 171 Old 04-15-2017, 06:10 AM

Where is v1.47 upgrade? All I see 1.43 on NAD site.
post #18 of 171 Old 04-15-2017, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aafuelracing View Post
Where is v1.47 upgrade? All I see 1.43 on NAD site.
Well that's very strange. I've upgrated my c368 april 8th to 1.47 but now it's not to be found on either the EU or US site.

How do I upload a picture on this site? Can only put in a link?

I'll send NAD support a mail to ask why.

Last edited by ChrisJJ; 04-15-2017 at 10:27 AM.
post #19 of 171 Old 04-17-2017, 06:37 PM

Upgraded the firmware to 1.47 today. NAD customer support replied to my email inquiry about the upgrade. Very prompt.
ChrisJJ likes this.
post #20 of 171 Old 04-27-2017, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
What is the latest on the subwoofer crossover saga? Did the latest April firmware update change anything? Is the hi/low pass filter still hardcoded to 150Hz or is it now selectable?

I have a pair of B&W 804 which are flat all the way down to 70Hz and with a pretty steep attenuation below that. Would it make sense to ignore the sub-out, bring the pre-out (full range) to my Velodyne Optimum 12 and set its crossover to 70Hz?

Last edited by Mircolino; 04-27-2017 at 10:58 AM.
post #21 of 171 Old 05-11-2017, 08:08 AM

Liked: 5
I've had the C388 w/ BluOS for a couple of months now. I recently gave a quick review and thought I'd share:

First, the good: The soundscape that the C388 produces is nothing short of amazing. I have it driving a pair of very high-efficiency hand built 12" SEOS waveform 2-way speakers which the C388 compliments in a way where most solid state amps would fall short. The sound is quite clean and crisp across the range. Bass is surprisingly strong while being nicely separate from the mids and highs which come with a clarity that I've only heard on much higher-priced systems. The value to sound quality ratio on the C388 about as good as it gets. The interface takes a little getting used to. I'm pretty technical and encountered some frustration while setting up. This was mainly due to the cumbersome navigation controls when it comes to applying settings. Once you get your settings straight, this thing is ready to provide sonic bliss. Now the bad: It's not the C388 that I have a problem with, it's the BluOS MDC module that ships with this particular model. I often times stream music from Spotify using Spotify Connect. NAD's BluOS module supports multiple streaming services through the BluOS controller which can be installed on your computer or mobile device. At the time of this writing, streaming from Spotify produces a 2 sec gap at the beginning of playback. I've been told this is being addressed and will be fixed in the next firmware update. There is no date for when this will be released. If it weren't for this glitch I would be giving the C388 BluOS a much better rating.

Pros: Great sound for the value. Expandability is nice through the MDC modules. Support for a variety of sources through the BlueOS functionality.

Cons: Streaming through Spotify (and possibly other sources), is buggy. Be prepared to wait for a firmware update if you run into problems with the BluOS module. NAD should have corrected this before releasing the BluOS module.
ChrisJJ and jsts like this.
post #22 of 171 Old 06-15-2017, 09:54 AM

Can i see what the firmware did anywhere? Just bought my c368.

Thanks
post #23 of 171 Old 06-15-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Danielsen View Post
Can i see what the firmware did anywhere? Just bought my c368.

Thanks
nvm found someone mentioning it - sorry.
post #24 of 171 Old 06-22-2017, 10:43 AM

Hello:

Would the C338 be sufficient to drive a pair of ELAC UB5 speakers? Any reason the D7050 would be preferable? The D7050 is currently more expensive but the advantage is not clear.

Thanks!

Tamer
post #25 of 171 Old 07-10-2017, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabdelgawad View Post
Hello:

Would the C338 be sufficient to drive a pair of ELAC UB5 speakers? Any reason the D7050 would be preferable? The D7050 is currently more expensive but the advantage is not clear.

Thanks!

Tamer
I should think so - I just got the C338 to drive a pair of UB4s, and it's power aplenty. I can't figure out the differences between the D7050 and C338, but note that the C338 has limited settings/functionality. For example, there are no crossover filter settings for subwoofer out (believe the D7050 has them). Sub filter crossover at 100Hz I believe. Not much settings available to change on NAD Remote. A local dealer (who reviewed both) mentioned the C338 is more powerful than the D3020.

My set got updated, and the latest firmware is at 1.48. Some comments:
- Spotify Connect works perfectly. Did a A/B test on Spotify between Spotify Connect and a Toslink input from my desktop DAC (Fostex HP-A4), no differences at all. So at least the wireless streaming isn't shortchanging things. No discernable difference between Chromecast and Spotify Connect options.
- The digital amps run pretty cool, although I'm probably not pushing things to the limit.
- Volume steps on Spotify Connect is non linear. Each step hits > 59/54/47/42/36/31/24/19 dB. Know that dB isn't linear, but this makes it pretty unusable.
- No 2sec lag on Spotify Connect, unlike the C368s on BluOS.
- Chromecast functionality needs a bit of work - functionality was a little wonky at times. Had to stop playback before casting a new source. But it's the same for the Google Chromecasts.
post #26 of 171 Old 07-18-2017, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
BT firmware issue

Updated firmware on my C388. Everything was fine except Blue tooth firmware disappeared. Repeated attempts to download do not work. It goes through the progressions for down loading but does not take, hard reset does nothing. Any ideas?
post #27 of 171 Old 07-19-2017, 05:34 AM

I just bought a C368 and installed the bluos module.
I just installed the ios bluesound app, added Tidal and startet streaming Masters.
My question is - do I need to fiddle with setting anywhere?
I do have the hifi/masters solution, but streaming only from the app (where there is no settings regarding quality).
I assume I get the best quality as is?
It sounds great, but I know there are different levels of quality and I just want to make sure I get my moneys worth

Thanks!
post #28 of 171 Old 07-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I know I said I wasn't keen on these when I listened at the store, but I ended up picking up a C 368. It had more of the connectivity options plus future flexibility with the modules.

Only complaint so far as the iOS app won't connect via Bluetooth. Only had it pair once and then it drops.
post #29 of 171 Old 07-26-2017, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by borez View Post
I should think so - I just got the C338 to drive a pair of UB4s, and it's power aplenty. I can't figure out the differences between the D7050 and C338, but note that the C338 has limited settings/functionality. For example, there are no crossover filter settings for subwoofer out (believe the D7050 has them). Sub filter crossover at 100Hz I believe. Not much settings available to change on NAD Remote. A local dealer (who reviewed both) mentioned the C338 is more powerful than the D3020.

My set got updated, and the latest firmware is at 1.48. Some comments:
- Spotify Connect works perfectly. Did a A/B test on Spotify between Spotify Connect and a Toslink input from my desktop DAC (Fostex HP-A4), no differences at all. So at least the wireless streaming isn't shortchanging things. No discernable difference between Chromecast and Spotify Connect options.
- The digital amps run pretty cool, although I'm probably not pushing things to the limit.
- Volume steps on Spotify Connect is non linear. Each step hits > 59/54/47/42/36/31/24/19 dB. Know that dB isn't linear, but this makes it pretty unusable.
- No 2sec lag on Spotify Connect, unlike the C368s on BluOS.
- Chromecast functionality needs a bit of work - functionality was a little wonky at times. Had to stop playback before casting a new source. But it's the same for the Google Chromecasts.
Stange! Can't see the new 1.48 firmware on the EU site???

EDIT: just saw you are talking about the 338 not the 368 - sorry

post #30 of 171 Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Very tempted by the new NAD models :-). I am wondering about casework longevity though... I understand the entire front fascia of the NAD C368 and C388 is made of plastic? If so do you think this will stand the test of time?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
c338 , c368 , c388 , Nad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page