Pioneer SC-LX501 vs Denon 4200 sound quality - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-28-2017, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Question Pioneer SC-LX501 vs Denon 4200 sound quality?

I am currently demoing a Denon 4200 at home for 7.1 after using different Pioneer elites for many years.

My impression is that the Denon is more detailed and the rear channels more active especially with Audyssey. I also like the low freq. containment feature. It is as a whole, a much finer AVR than my current Pioneer 1121-K. However, as for the sound in general the Pioneer sounds warmer and fuller which I like a lot better. Also, because I have bright speakers (Jamo S-35's).

Anyone compare the 501 to the 4200 or 4300?

Thanks

Last edited by ace5000; 02-28-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-06-2017, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I can't say I've compared them but I have the SC-LX501 and the sound reproduction is on point. I went into a BB Magnolia Home Theater room a few weeks back and compared my SC-LX501 against the Denon X3300, Marantz 6011 and Yamaha RX-A860BL, to me the SC-LX501 sounded superior.

You can't go wrong with Pioneer Elite's and the Class D3 amp, runs cooler and has a fuller/warmer sound that I prefer.

TV: LG OLED65B6P
A/V Amp: Denon AVR-X6500H
Speakers: Towers = Martin Logan Motion 40's (bi-amp), Center = Martin Logan Motion 50XT (bi-amp), Sub = Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Speaker Wires: KnuKonceptz Kord Kable 10 Gauge Copper Speaker
post #3 of 6 Old 03-09-2017, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl24ss View Post
I can't say I've compared them but I have the SC-LX501 and the sound reproduction is on point. I went into a BB Magnolia Home Theater room a few weeks back and compared my SC-LX501 against the Denon X3300, Marantz 6011 and Yamaha RX-A860BL, to me the SC-LX501 sounded superior.

You can't go wrong with Pioneer Elite's and the Class D3 amp, runs cooler and has a fuller/warmer sound that I prefer.
tl24ss,

Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I needed to hear.

Since I posted this thread, I brought in a Marantz 6010 receiver because I heard they were warmer in tone. I need more work with it, but it's almost too warm to the point of sounding like a blanket got thrown over the speakers. I will play with the crossover setup in the receiver tonight.

I'm close to throwing in the towel and going with the Pioneer LX-501..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-31-2017, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post
tl24ss,

Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I needed to hear.

Since I posted this thread, I brought in a Marantz 6010 receiver because I heard they were warmer in tone. I need more work with it, but it's almost too warm to the point of sounding like a blanket got thrown over the speakers. I will play with the crossover setup in the receiver tonight.

I'm close to throwing in the towel and going with the Pioneer LX-501..
I'm also interested of what you think about the Marantz as well. I also currently own Pioneer VSX-1121K and planning to upgrade to (my choice in order) Marantz 6011, Denon 4300 or the Elite 501. Acutally I just got the Denon 4300 today for $799 deal at Frys but I have not open the box yet. I like the look of Marantz and heard good things about it but I never owned one before. I am also debating if I really need to upgrade my receiver now or just wait until my Pioneer 1121 stop working. At the same time the Frys deal for Denon deal is so good to pass. I'm very curious how this Denon will perform in my house with my speakers. If I decided to open and install the Denon and the difference is night & day compared to my Pioneer then I'll keep it and be done. I don't think Marantz will ever be this low in price. If the sound is almost the same as my Pioneer then most likely I will return it and just wait until my Pioneer will stop working. By then new receivers will have more/better features. Decision, decision
post #5 of 6 Old 04-07-2017, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So sorry for the delay guys... I returned the Marantz as I think it was defective. The sound was too veiled as if a pillow was held over each speaker. This was not the Marantz "warm" signature I was looking for that's for sure.

I guess I'm keeping the Denon 4200 for a while. It operates great and a fine piece of engineering, but I fine the sound too sterile and murderously bright with the wrong speakers. Also, Audessey is OK but the lack of EQ adjustment is also a very weak point. I understand the 2017 Denon and Marantz models now have an app to adjust the curve.

Bottom line: I need the warmth of a Pioneer with Dirac on a beer budget...
post #6 of 6 Old 04-07-2017, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post
So sorry for the delay guys... I returned the Marantz as I think it was defective. The sound was too veiled as if a pillow was held over each speaker. This was not the Marantz "warm" signature I was looking for that's for sure.

I guess I'm keeping the Denon 4200 for a while. It operates great and a fine piece of engineering, but I fine the sound too sterile and murderously bright with the wrong speakers. Also, Audessey is OK but the lack of EQ adjustment is also a very weak point. I understand the 2017 Denon and Marantz models now have an app to adjust the curve.

Bottom line: I need the warmth of a Pioneer with Dirac on a beer budget...

Sorry to hear man, I'd say give the Pioneer a shot, you won't be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV: Panasonic Viera VT50 55 | A/V Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-71 | Speakers: Martin Logan Motion 40's (Bi-Amped) | Cables: AudioQuest Cinnamon HDMI Cables + AudioQuest Rocket 33's (split)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page