• 1 Post By Worf
  • 1 Post By Rembrandt12

post #1 of 19 Old 03-02-2017, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Yamaha receiver help

I've decided on buying a Yamaha receiver. I was looking into a Yamaha RX-A760 and went to purchase at Best Buy. The model they had was the RX-A760 BL. Can anyone tell me what this model is and how it differs from the current RX-A760. On Yamaha's website the number on the back of the pictures says RX-A760 but no BL.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-02-2017, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 735
The AVR is available in different front panel finishes, the BL means BLACK...

Just my $0.02..
oregon smoker likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-02-2017, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Are there any other finishes available other than black in North America? I know there's a silver and sometimes even a "champagne" color, but I don't think I've ever seen those except in Asia...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-03-2017, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23177 Post(s)
Liked: 12711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Are there any other finishes available other than black in North America? I know there's a silver and sometimes even a "champagne" color, but I don't think I've ever seen those except in Asia...
Nope.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-03-2017, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
The AVR is available in different front panel finishes, the BL means BLACK...

Just my $0.02..
So the BL literally means only the color? I didn't know if that was the product code 2016 or if Best Buy is selling the 2017 model.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-03-2017, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
BL means black.

The 2017 model is most likely called the RX-A770

Afro GT
post #7 of 19 Old 03-04-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrandt12 View Post
So the BL literally means only the color? I didn't know if that was the product code 2016 or if Best Buy is selling the 2017 model.
Correct. The lower level 2017 models (eg. A770) won't be released until around May.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-04-2017, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
I've decided on buying a Yamaha receiver. I was looking into a Yamaha RX-A760 and went to purchase at Best Buy. The model they had was the RX-A760 BL. Can anyone tell me what this model is and how it differs from the current RX-A760. On Yamaha's website the number on the back of the pictures says RX-A760 but no BL.

Thank you
Yamaha Receiver Help--get a Denon/Marantz ! ?

pj
post #9 of 19 Old 03-04-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhifi View Post

pj
post #10 of 19 Old 03-04-2017, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhifi View Post
Quote:

Thank you

pj
Haha ahhh why Denon over Yamaha?
post #11 of 19 Old 03-04-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked: 1129
Quote:

Thank you
Probably means "black finish" as mentioned, but they have some models that are appended "BT" or "WA" indicating inclusion of a Bluetooth dongle, or wi-fi dongle or capability (implemented internally on later or higher end models).

Be aware that some retailers have different model numbers that are the same box as another retailers model. E.g. Costco's TSR-5810 which I believe is an RX-V581. You can check online at the Yamaha site, or download manuals to compare.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-04-2017, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Probably means "black finish" as mentioned, but they have some models that are appended "BT" or "WA" indicating inclusion of a Bluetooth dongle, or wi-fi dongle or capability (implemented internally on later or higher end models).

Be aware that some retailers have different model numbers that are the same box as another retailers model. E.g. Costco's TSR-5810 which I believe is an RX-V581. You can check online at the Yamaha site, or download manuals to compare.
Does that mean that they are manufactured differently than buying directly from Yamaha? For example would the a760BL from Best Buy be built differently compared to the a760 from Yamaha?
post #13 of 19 Old 03-04-2017, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 599
No, they're the same unit. Best buy puts the full model number on their site, while Yamaha just generalizes it (since the same model may have different finishes available). For North America, the "BL" can be ignored as they're all black.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-05-2017, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
No, they're the same unit. Best buy puts the full model number on their site, while Yamaha just generalizes it (since the same model may have different finishes available). For North America, the "BL" can be ignored as they're all black.
I appreciate the input Wolf. Now I'm really confused being so new to this. So the Onkyo TX-NR757 seems to pack the most power, features, and has received all 4/5 star reviews from what I have read. However, the majority on this site says that they are low quality and unreliable. The Yamaha RX-A760 seems to be praised for quality and reliability but seems to be equal to that of the Denon X-2300W in those areas but the Denon has audessey so it's better? The Onkyo seems to make the most power while Yamaha and Denon appear to be the same in respective models referenced. I'll probably stray from Onkyo as I'm not satisfied with the quality of my current one but what are your thoughts?
post #15 of 19 Old 03-05-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked: 1129
You don';t have to search forums very hard to read about the huge Onkyo warranty/quality debacle with their HDMI boards and (I think) other issues. I've read many posts from people who got "good will" warranty support for an AVR failure only have the repaired/replaced unit fail [at a later date; a year or two later] and Onkyo does NOT offer further warranty support. I had a situation like that with Sony in the 90s, and will never buy from them, ever again.

I'm not just concerned about the quality of their components, I question a company that restricts how long they support a customer who is clearly suffering from the company's poor QC. When customers start leaving the brand in droves, that brand is in a downward spiral IMHO.

Onkyo may offer great feature sets, but with their warranty issues, I'd steer clear.

Several members have recommended Marantz and Pioneer AVRs, I would research those.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 03-08-2017 at 02:09 AM. Reason: clarifying a point
post #16 of 19 Old 03-05-2017, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Pioneer AVR's are part of Onkyo now so that may be a concern.

Afro GT
post #17 of 19 Old 03-05-2017, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
You don';t have to search forums very hard to read about the huge Onkyo warranty/quality debacle with their HDMI boards and (I think) other issues. I've read many posts from people who got "good will" warranty support for an AVR failure only have the repaired/replaced unit fail and Onkyo does NOT offer further warranty support. I had a situation like that with Sony in the 90s, and will never buy from them, ever again.

I'm not just concerned about the quality of their components, I question a company that restricts how long they support a customer who is clearly suffering from the company's poor QC. When customers start leaving the brand in droves, that brand is in a downward spiral IMHO.

Onkyo may offer great feature sets, but with their warranty issues, I'd steer clear.

Several members have recommended Marantz and Pioneer AVRs, I would research those.
Yeah I agree with you. I've read that as well. My current set up is a Onkyo HT-S7700 HTIB. The receiver is only 1.5 years old and the hdmi picture goes out all the time. Just yesterday the picture in one episode of band of brothers went off then on at least 20 times. It's a little frustrating because I am not knowledgeable enough to know the nuances to decide which is superior. The RX-A760 or X2300W.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-05-2017, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Pioneer AVR's are part of Onkyo now so that may be a concern.
Yeah I read that too. I was interested in Pioneer until I learned that.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-07-2017, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys. I decided to go for the rx-a760. I appreciate everyones help.
ChromeJob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page