Advice? 2xVintage Marantz + Emotiva MC-700 + KEF 5.1 + Grado Speakers = Wonk-tastic - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 03-07-2017, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Advice? 2xVintage Marantz + Emotiva MC-700 + KEF 5.1 + Grado Speakers = Wonk-tastic

Hi there. This may be a long shot, still,I am an unrepentant vintage Marantz fan. I scored my first piece at goodwill 20 years ago and have since been adding to it on the (mostly) cheap.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM: I currently have 3 x 4K HDMI sources running through a POS surround decoder. When I want surround sound, I have to manually switch the HDMI cables, This drops the image quality to 1080p and does a questionable job at DTS,Dolby,and LinearPCM decoding. I ordered an Emotiva MC-700 to take care the decoding and switching of HDMI sources but I have questions about how to run the analog out to my vintage amps, given they have their own volume controls and usually receive line-level inputs from the POS decoder. I don't want to blow the Marantz inputs with the Emotiva output. Does anyone out there have advice for my wonktastic dream system? I am fairly sure there is an answer that works, just hoping I don't have to get a degree in sound engineering to figure it out. Thanks for putting up with my lengthy, somewhat bragg-y post.

HERE is the setup: My Home Theater set up consists of a Marantz 1060 running the custom KEF dual Uni-Q driver Center Channel on the 'Remote' (B-channel). A Quadraphonic 4060 set to 'discreet' runs the Front and Rear Channel KEF Carinas. Anchoring the low end is a powered Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 (w/ an upgraded driver). The LFE / SUB is run to the front channels through the sub which has its own crossover. I use the volume controls on the separate amps to control the center channel and surround channels independently, which is quiet nice for late night movies when my youngest is asleep. Capping it all off is a pair of Grado Loudspeakers connected to the 'Main'(A-channel) on the 1060. These are not part of 5.1 system but when I want to listen to vinyl, they absolutely steal the show ( I have only ever seen one other pair before ) and when I just want to listen to the world shake I can turn on all the channels and cause structural damage. The system is super flexible for audio-only stuff and adequate for home theater, I don't ever want to give it up, just trying to update the decoding aspect. I don't ever see myself upgrading to ATMOS, 7.1, etc. The TV is a Samsung 55" KS800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Marantz , preamp , surround , vintage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page