Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 102 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2215Likes

post #3031 of 3043 Old 01-13-2020, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can't pass blu ray signal through my Sony Dn STR-1080

This is a real head scratcher! Last summer I purchased my Sony DN STR-1080. Routed my cable box and PS4 through the system and no problems. When I routed my Sony BDP S6700 through the system the BDP kept syncing off the power. Changed the hdmi cables and still the same problem. When I connected it directly to the tv it worked but now it would sync itself off if you didn't wait a minute for it to load. No problem, I left it connected to the tv and routed a audio coax to the STR-1080 as a work around. Recently the S6700 started shutting off on startup then one day sent a spike to the STR-1080 over the coax putting the system into "PROTECTOR". Reset the STR-1080 and took the BDP out of the system. I had an older model Sony BDP system so I connected it to the bd/dvd port on the STR-1080 and turn it on. I get the Sony Blu Ray logo on the tv screen then nothing. When I play a video I get sound but no picture. SO!, I purchase a LG UBK80 thinking this will solve my problems but nothing. No matter how many different hdmi cables I try. So again I connect it directly to the television and guess what?, plays great with no problem. This time I routed the audio to the STR-1080 via a optic cable. Can any of you fine people tell me what is going on! Thank you all very much for your help! Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3043 Old 01-13-2020, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Problem with Harmony Switching Inputs

This is for a friend. He has a new system:

• Epson 5030UB Projector
  • Sony STR-DN1080 AVR
  • Roku Ultra
  • Sony X800M2 Blu-ray Player

I gave him my Harmony Hub and Remote that I previously used successfully to control a much more complex system (I'm now using Control4, and absolutely love it!).

I set up 2 simple activities for him:

1. Watch a Movie
  2. Watch Roku

The appropriate devices are selected for power on, with no change in Projector Input, and the appropriate Input selected on the Sony AVR. It couldn't be much simpler than this. Everything powers on (and off) as programmed, but there is a problem with getting the right Input selected.

For the 'Watch a Movie' Activity, it always switches to the Roku input, even though the Harmony is programmed to change it to the Bluray Input. I put in a delay (10 seconds, then 30 seconds, then 45 seconds) before the Input Switch command in the Harmony Activity, but it will not switch over.

If I go to the Device tab in the Harmony App, and tap the Bluray input, it switches without problem.

If I've run the Roku Activity, and then without turning the system off, run the Watch a Movie activity, it does switch the Input correctly. But it never switches to the Bluray input with this Activity if it's activated when the system is off.

I have CEC turned Off in the Sony AVR, and on the Blu-ray player. I don't believe there is a way to turn this off on the Roku, or at least not completely.

I have read in this thread and elsewhere, of similar issues, so wanting to avoid spending hours reading through hundreds of posts, I was hoping somebody could identify the fixes, work-arounds, etc.

Thanks.

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #3033 of 3043 Old 01-14-2020, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 176
@DLCPhoto It should not be operating that way. Does the Help function fix the problem? That is a critical piece of information.

The simple work around is to "learn" the two input selection commands and then add them to the startup sequence. A 5 second or longer delay may be needed before the command is issued. But this work around should not be necessary.

If your friend has the time and patience then do a complete reset of the remote and hub, then start again from the beginning with defining the devices and activities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3034 of 3043 Old 01-14-2020, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
@DLCPhoto It should not be operating that way. Does the Help function fix the problem? That is a critical piece of information.

The simple work around is to "learn" the two input selection commands and then add them to the startup sequence. A 5 second or longer delay may be needed before the command is issued. But this work around should not be necessary.

If your friend has the time and patience then do a complete reset of the remote and hub, then start again from the beginning with defining the devices and activities.
Thanks for the reply, and I agree - it should not be operating this way. As I said, I have used this to control a much more complex system without this type of issue.

Before giving the Hub and remote to him, I had already done a full reset, so we were starting from scratch. The setup went perfectly - it found all the right devices as they were on the Network, except for the Projector, which I added manually.

I'm not sure about the Help function - at one point, I did choose the 'Fix' option in the App, don't recall the exact steps, but nothing changed. Is this the same function as the Help that you refer to?

I have been reading on this, and it seems others have been reporting that their Roku 'steals' the input, so this situation doesn't seem unique. And why adding the delay doesn't provide a work-around for this behavior is also puzzling. I'll have to check the Roku settings in more detail, which I didn't do last night.

I thought of adding another command to switch inputs, as you suggest, but didn't have time last night. But as you say, it really shouldn't be necessary.

And the thing is, it does work properly when the system is already on, and watching Roku, so the Command itself is correct. And thinking about this, if I'm remembering right, when I do select the Watch a Movie Activity when the system is already on, and on the Roku input, the switch to the Bluray occurs immediately. If I'm remembering correctdly,, this seems to indicate that the delay I've been inserting is not being implemented. (And I did make sure I did a 'Sync' from the App after making any programming changes.)

Any reports on glitches involving delays being ignored?

post #3035 of 3043 Old 01-14-2020, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 176
@DLCPhoto : You can tell if the delay is working by the amount of time that the remote screen show that it is in control, e.g., with a 20 second delay the normal command screen for the selected activity will not show until at least 20 seconds after the activity was started.

There is a specific Help function on the remote with two options for "fit it myself" or general. The latter basically reissues all the start sequence commands and then asks if the settings are now correct.

A quick way to find out if the Roku is the problem is just to physically remove the hdmi connection, then test the system from a power off state. If that is the problem then the solution can be focused on it. To eliminate the CEC function from the Roku a Lindy CEC device could be plugged in to the hdmi cable to the Roku. This might be the best solution. The delay should work but it sounds like the Roku could be trying to take control for a minute or longer after power up. The Lindy will eliminate this.
post #3036 of 3043 Old 01-14-2020, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
@DLCPhoto : You can tell if the delay is working by the amount of time that the remote screen show that it is in control, e.g., with a 20 second delay the normal command screen for the selected activity will not show until at least 20 seconds after the activity was started.

There is a specific Help function on the remote with two options for "fit it myself" or general. The latter basically reissues all the start sequence commands and then asks if the settings are now correct.

A quick way to find out if the Roku is the problem is just to physically remove the hdmi connection, then test the system from a power off state. If that is the problem then the solution can be focused on it. To eliminate the CEC function from the Roku a Lindy CEC device could be plugged in to the hdmi cable to the Roku. This might be the best solution. The delay should work but it sounds like the Roku could be trying to take control for a minute or longer after power up. The Lindy will eliminate this.
Thanks - this will be helpful in determining if the delay is being implemented.

I wasn't familiar with the Lindy device - so thanks for that as well. Looking at some quick reviews, it appears that it might not pass 4k/HDR. That's not a problem for him now, as he's using a 1080p Projector, but it could be down the road. Hopefully this won't be necessary (nor 'should' it be!).

Not sure when I can get over there again, but will post back when I can trouble-shoot further.

post #3037 of 3043 Old 01-14-2020, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Thanks for the reply, and I agree - it should not be operating this way. As I said, I have used this to control a much more complex system without this type of issue.

Before giving the Hub and remote to him, I had already done a full reset, so we were starting from scratch. The setup went perfectly - it found all the right devices as they were on the Network, except for the Projector, which I added manually.

I'm not sure about the Help function - at one point, I did choose the 'Fix' option in the App, don't recall the exact steps, but nothing changed. Is this the same function as the Help that you refer to?

I have been reading on this, and it seems others have been reporting that their Roku 'steals' the input, so this situation doesn't seem unique. And why adding the delay doesn't provide a work-around for this behavior is also puzzling. I'll have to check the Roku settings in more detail, which I didn't do last night.

I thought of adding another command to switch inputs, as you suggest, but didn't have time last night. But as you say, it really shouldn't be necessary.

And the thing is, it does work properly when the system is already on, and watching Roku, so the Command itself is correct. And thinking about this, if I'm remembering right, when I do select the Watch a Movie Activity when the system is already on, and on the Roku input, the switch to the Bluray occurs immediately. If I'm remembering correctdly,, this seems to indicate that the delay I've been inserting is not being implemented. (And I did make sure I did a 'Sync' from the App after making any programming changes.)

Any reports on glitches involving delays being ignored?
check the power on delay for the AVR.

I believe I changed mine, else it would try to switch inputs while still booting up.
I timed it from power on till it clicks at the end. That was about 10 seconds.

I would check the delays that the harmony is using.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #3038 of 3043 Old 01-14-2020, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post

I believe I changed mine, else it would try to switch inputs while still booting up.

Excellent suggestion.

It's been a while since I've had to mess with Harmony, and have forgotten some of the details available under the hood.

post #3039 of 3043 Old 01-14-2020, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post

Excellent suggestion.

It's been a while since I've had to mess with Harmony, and have forgotten some of the details available under the hood.
I guess it depends on whether or not you use Network Standby mode. This option, while power consuming (over 30w on standby!), results in a very quick startup. I have never had to add a delay to my Harmony for the AVR with this activated.

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S
post #3040 of 3043 Old 01-14-2020, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post
I guess it depends on whether or not you use Network Standby mode. This option, while power consuming (over 30w on standby!), results in a very quick startup. I have never had to add a delay to my Harmony for the AVR with this activated.
Another good suggestion - I don't recall how this was set, but will keep this in mind as I work through different options. One or more of these should get this fixed.

post #3041 of 3043 Old 01-15-2020, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Update:

I went over to his house tonight, and got things resolved.

I first went to the Roku and under System settings, unchecked the option under 'Control Other Devices.' This didn't fix the problem, but I left it that way.

I next added a Power On Delay to the AVR (around 15 seconds, I think), and that did it. While, I added some other programming (open the Bluray tray as part of the turn-on sequence, which required a change in Power On Delay for the BD player as well), customized a few buttons, etc.

I think he's good to go!

Appreciate the help and suggestions.

post #3042 of 3043 Old 01-17-2020, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have had my Sony STR-DN1080 receiver for 2 years now. Recently what has happened is the main HDMi out has stopped outputting video to TV, the tv basically says no input. When i switch it to the other HDMI out,then the video is working fine. Its not like i switched wires or made any changes prior to that.

DOes anyone have an idea of what might be causing this issue?
Is the HDMI board busted?
Do i need to reset the system to fix it?
post #3043 of 3043 Old Yesterday, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzuri09 View Post
I have had my Sony STR-DN1080 receiver for 2 years now. Recently what has happened is the main HDMi out has stopped outputting video to TV, the tv basically says no input. When i switch it to the other HDMI out,then the video is working fine. Its not like i switched wires or made any changes prior to that.

DOes anyone have an idea of what might be causing this issue?
Is the HDMI board busted?
Do i need to reset the system to fix it?
You haven't hit the 'HDMI Out' button on your remote by mistake? The button toggles between HDMI A, HDMI B, and HDMI A + B.

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page