Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2227Likes

post #3361 of 3372 Old 05-22-2020, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New equipment frustrations

Just bought this receiver last week to go with the TCL 75Q825 TV and Apple TV 4K units that I bought new the week before. The biggest ongoing issues have been getting the Dolby Vision feature on the Apple TV to work properly and dealing with intermittent audio-video lag from all sources. Every time I think I've got everything dialed in and working, I come back the next day and things are F-ed up again. Setup is as follows:

8K rated HDMI cable from Apple TV into Video 2 input on AVR, then 8K rated HDMI cable from ARC output on AVR to Video 2 input on TV. This was after multiple combinations of trying different inputs on both the AVR and the TV. Trying to connect the Apple TV directly to the TV and then outputting audio from the TV to the AVR through the TV's ARC HDMI output did not work.

I've reviewed the boards and think I have all the settings on the AVR and the TV where they are supposed to be. Two days ago I streamed Netflix through the Apple TV and got beautiful Dolby Vision video and synced audio. Turned it on last night having changed nothing and get blurry pixelated and laggy video. Switched over to watching a blu-ray through my PS4 and the video image was fine but still out of sync with the audio.

Any advice would be appreciated, love the potential of this equipment but really annoyed by the inability to just turn it on and have it work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3372 Old 05-22-2020, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I do not have any of these problems but have some suggestions and questions:
1. What is the length of you HDMI cable? Very long cables can be an issue.
2. Is the ATV wifi connected and are sure you are getting a strong signal and the internet is solid?
3. If you have any native apps on the TV you should confirm that ARC is functional. You may have to power down and unplug both TV and AVR, and then turn them back on to get ARC working. When you have this working you can connect the ATV directly to the TV and see if that helps.
post #3363 of 3372 Old 05-22-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
I do not have any of these problems but have some suggestions and questions:
1. What is the length of you HDMI cable? Very long cables can be an issue.
2. Is the ATV wifi connected and are sure you are getting a strong signal and the internet is solid?
3. If you have any native apps on the TV you should confirm that ARC is functional. You may have to power down and unplug both TV and AVR, and then turn them back on to get ARC working. When you have this working you can connect the ATV directly to the TV and see if that helps.
Thanks for the ideas.

1. Both cables are 6' long so I wouldn't think that would be an issue.
2. The ATV is wifi connected and usually it's downloading between 60 - 80 gbps
3. The TV has native apps that I haven't been running. Irritating that constant unplugging of the equipment would be the solution but I'll give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3364 of 3372 Old 05-22-2020, 09:16 AM

FYI this avr is down to about $450 at several places online.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-11...?skuId=5761206
post #3365 of 3372 Old 05-23-2020, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I have had this issue with Apple TV also, I think it’s something to do with the way Apple TV outputs the Audio in regards to Atmos.

This is with a Denon though.
post #3366 of 3372 Old 05-23-2020, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Fitch View Post
Thanks for the ideas.

1. Both cables are 6' long so I wouldn't think that would be an issue.
2. The ATV is wifi connected and usually it's downloading between 60 - 80 gbps
3. The TV has native apps that I haven't been running. Irritating that constant unplugging of the equipment would be the solution but I'll give it a try.
Then it must be your TV.
DN1080 has no problems with passing Dolby Vision through, provided the HDMI Sink (TV or projector) has proper EDID so that aTV 4K can recognise DoVi capabilitiy.
post #3367 of 3372 Old 05-25-2020, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Then it must be your TV.
DN1080 has no problems with passing Dolby Vision through, provided the HDMI Sink (TV or projector) has proper EDID so that aTV 4K can recognise DoVi capabilitiy.
I am having issues with the Apple TV and Dolby Vision with the DN1080 also. My TV is a Sony XBR75X900F.

I have already swapped all of the HDMI cables out. That didn't fix it.

I just connected the Apple TV directly to the Sony TV and Dolby Vision works fine. So that leaves the DN1080 as the troublemaker.

Input is Video2 for the Apple TV and input for the TV is HDMI3 (same input as tested direct connected to the Apple TV). I have flipped on the enhanced HDMI for that input on the DN1080.

I'm pulling my hair out on this one. Not my first rodeo with AV receivers or Dolby Vision. Any help is appreciated.
post #3368 of 3372 Old 05-26-2020, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

What does aTV HDMI cable test tell you?
Can you test with any other source?
I really have had no problems with it, neither with aTV, nor with a bluray player.
Worked right away with Sony Pemium (18Gbps) cables, now I have switched to Belkin Ultra-High Speed (48Gbps) cables and still works.
So the DN1080 per se is not the problem and fully supports (recognises DoVi on Sink and passes it through to Source) Dolby Vision.
it was added with firmware version M41.R.0374 late in 2017.
post #3369 of 3372 Old 05-26-2020, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
What does aTV HDMI cable test tell you?
Can you test with any other source?
I really have had no problems with it, neither with aTV, nor with a bluray player.
Worked right away with Sony Pemium (18Gbps) cables, now I have switched to Belkin Ultra-High Speed (48Gbps) cables and still works.
So the DN1080 per se is not the problem and fully supports (recognises DoVi on Sink and passes it through to Source) Dolby Vision.
it was added with firmware version M41.R.0374 late in 2017.
I'm using the exact same cable that I tested running the Apple TV directly to the TV. I have no doubt that the receiver is the issue and it makes me wonder if it is TV dependent. It is ironic that a Sony Receiver and Sony TV do not work together. Thought about switching to a Samsung TV, but they do not support Dolby Vision at all.

I can still return the receiver, could look at a Denon instead?

Odd thing with this issue is that there is a lot out there about it, but no definitive answers.
post #3370 of 3372 Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Anyone try using the Bluetooth in transmitter mode? When I pair it with my Bose Headset, the sound is broken sort of like the sample rate is mismatched..

I use this headset with other Bluetooth transmitters like my phone without issues. Also the AVR Bluetooth in Receiver mode works fine.
post #3371 of 3372 Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Have you tried different codec modes? Maybe you'd need to disable LDAC or AAC?
Transmitter works fine with Sony wireless headphones.
post #3372 of 3372 Old Today, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post
Anyone try using the Bluetooth in transmitter mode? When I pair it with my Bose Headset, the sound is broken sort of like the sample rate is mismatched..

I use this headset with other Bluetooth transmitters like my phone without issues. Also the AVR Bluetooth in Receiver mode works fine.

No problems with Sony headphones.

Sony KD-65XG9505 - STR-DN1080 - UBP-X800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
atmos , avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , speaker pop , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page