Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2206Likes

post #31 of 2731 Old 03-16-2017, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
This AVR just might make me finally replace my HK.

Looking forward to a few initial impressions or reviews.
Having "upgraded" from an HK to the Sony STR-DN860 a few years ago, I'd suggest having a listen before you pull the trigger. I'm not in the "all amps sound the same" camp and was pretty underwhelmed with the difference, especially after all the positive reviews I read about the 860 and it's big brother the 1060. This newer version may sound better, and perhaps you won't hear a difference, but just putting it out there.
eaamon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2731 Old 03-16-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 2473
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokbyter View Post
Having "upgraded" from an HK to the Sony STR-DN860 a few years ago, I'd suggest having a listen before you pull the trigger. I'm not in the "all amps sound the same" camp and was pretty underwhelmed with the difference, especially after all the positive reviews I read about the 860 and it's big brother the 1060. This newer version may sound better, and perhaps you won't hear a difference, but just putting it out there.
Hear ya (get it )

The reason for the "upgrade" is for the 2 Atmos channels and the phantom rear surrounds. I had a Sony receiver prior to this HK and I really liked it.

Plus I buy from Crutchfield so I'll have 60 days to try it out. Hopefully it will be as good as the specs.
rokbyter likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #33 of 2731 Old 03-17-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Hear ya (get it )

The reason for the "upgrade" is for the 2 Atmos channels and the phantom rear surrounds. I had a Sony receiver prior to this HK and I really liked it.

Plus I buy from Crutchfield so I'll have 60 days to try it out. Hopefully it will be as good as the specs.
I do like the idea of the phantom surround back, but need to wait for an AVR that can support 5.2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 2731 Old 04-03-2017, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If you have a 5.1 Setup will phantom back be a waste if your already have rears ? wonder if you can make it phantom surround ?
post #35 of 2731 Old 04-04-2017, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Sony customer service told me this when I asked about the STR-DN1080: According to their current support documentation available to their customer service/support team, there wasn't anything stating whether the STR-DN1080 would or could receive Dolby Vision support via a firmware update. Doesn't mean it can but also doesn't mean it can't.

They also told me this about their UBP-X800 UHD 4K player: they did have documentation in their system that states this player will be getting a firmware update to add Dolby Vision support.
post #36 of 2731 Old 04-05-2017, 08:22 AM

When playing music on this avr - stereo what will this avr produce WPC?
post #37 of 2731 Old 04-06-2017, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm a little bit of a noob here, but what is phantom surround back? I already have a 7.1 AVR, what is the difference? This one will only do 5.1 + phantom surround back for the other 2 speakers? I'm lost.
post #38 of 2731 Old 04-07-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobrand View Post
I'm a little bit of a noob here, but what is phantom surround back? I already have a 7.1 AVR, what is the difference? This one will only do 5.1 + phantom surround back for the other 2 speakers? I'm lost.
The receiver is essentially a 5.1.2 when it comes to number of channels (a total of 7.1). The 2 normal surrounds can be designated as you program/tell the receiver. The other 2 surrounds are intended to be your two Atmos ceiling speakers, but you can also program/tell the receiver wherever you want them to be designated too. It technically doesn't have rear surrounds, but you could designate one of the two pairs of surrounds as rear surrounds. The phantom surround backs are virtual speakers that will reproduce that sound from your side surrounds & ceiling surrounds.

Sony is intending the consumer that buys this receiver will likely have this speaker configuration and is wanting Atmos:

2 L/R Front Speakers
1 Center Speaker
2 L/R Side Surround
2 L/R Ceiling Surround
0 Rear Surround (Phantom output from all other Surround Speakers)
zerobrand likes this.
post #39 of 2731 Old 04-07-2017, 05:50 PM

I should've also mentioned that you could use 1 of the 2 pairs of surrounds for physical Rear Surrounds, but then you'd either lose the option of Side Surround or your Ceiling Surrounds (Atmos).
post #40 of 2731 Old 04-10-2017, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can I make 5.2.2 with it? I read everywhere 5.1.2 but I have 2 subs running with my old 1050 model
post #41 of 2731 Old 04-12-2017, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I'm kinda disappointed by the no Dolby Vision, and only 6 HDMI inputs (and only 5 of them supports 4:4:4)

6-in/2-out HDMI connectivity with 4K/60p (4:4:4)4 pass-through, HDCP 2.2 support and HDR support
HDMI 5in/2out support 4:4:4
post #42 of 2731 Old 04-19-2017, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Wouldn't Atmos or DTS:X pretty much create a "phantom" rear channel? I mean it does simulate a 3d sound field. What can the Sony do differently?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
post #43 of 2731 Old 04-22-2017, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikhead View Post
Sony customer service told me this when I asked about the STR-DN1080: According to their current support documentation available to their customer service/support team, there wasn't anything stating whether the STR-DN1080 would or could receive Dolby Vision support via a firmware update. Doesn't mean it can but also doesn't mean it can't.

They also told me this about their UBP-X800 UHD 4K player: they did have documentation in their system that states this player will be getting a firmware update to add Dolby Vision support.
Interesting note about the X800 as it seems completely unconfirmed by Sony that they will be adding DV to the X800. Frankly, it's ridiculous that Sony is released the STR-DN1080 and X800 without future Dolby Vision support announced... considering Sony themselves are planning to release 4K UHD Blu-rays w/ DV support in 2017. What is this company even doing?
post #44 of 2731 Old 04-22-2017, 11:05 PM

The 1060-70 were huge Sellers & highly regarded- the 1080 looks to be even better also add to their already strong lineup - the new atmos sound bar they are releasing soon.
Not to mention to the PS4 Pro.
I'd say they know EXACTLY what they're doing.
post #45 of 2731 Old 04-24-2017, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post
The 1060-70 were huge Sellers & highly regarded- the 1080 looks to be even better also add to their already strong lineup - the new atmos sound bar they are releasing soon.
Not to mention to the PS4 Pro.
I'd say they know EXACTLY what they're doing.
I get what you are saying, but if you are bringing up the PS4 Pro, I look at it as a big missed opportunity. PS3 was an excellent BD player, and Sony advertises the PS4 Pro as a "4K device", yet it won't play 4K UHD BDs or even games at true 4K resolution (checkerboard workarounds are the best it can handle with its video card).
If you buy a 2017 Sony OLED with HDR10 and Dolby Vision, isn't it reasonable to expect Sony's other 2017 items to work properly with it? Right now their TVs will have Dolby Vision but the 1080 won't pass the signal, and the X800 can't read it. Just kind of a baffling omission to me.

Edit: And yes, with most blu-ray players you could do a dual output and bypass AVR with your DV video, but if the hardware in the 1080 is capable of passing DV (which it definitely is), why not just update to add the feature.

Last edited by eselv73; 04-24-2017 at 07:57 AM.
post #46 of 2731 Old 04-24-2017, 03:31 PM

Is Dolby Vision all that?
post #47 of 2731 Old 04-25-2017, 02:30 PM

This was shared with my over on Sony's community page regarding the STR-DN1080; I don't know where this original post is listed over here on AVS...

From Scott Wiliknson on AVS Forum
"I just confirmed with Sony that none of the company's AVRs will pass Dolby Vision. HDMI 2.0a certainly has the bandwidth to do it, but the circuitry must be Dolby Vision-aware, which must be specifically enabled." I love Sony audio products but you dont get bang for your buck, thats for sure.

So this new receiver won't support Dolby Vision pass-thru if you are looking for this feature. If you get their new UHD bluray player or similar model with dual HDMI outs, you may not necessarily need it. However, I'm marking the Sony off my list and leaning towards the Denon AVR-S930H now.

Not sure about the phantom speakers on this Sony, but I asked Yamaha support on their's and they stated you can't have their Virtual Rear Surround Speakers enabled while also doing a 5.1.2 Atmos setup. So now the phantom speakers are a moot point for me.
post #48 of 2731 Old 04-25-2017, 06:54 PM

The s930h is only 80wpc ? Meh
post #49 of 2731 Old 05-05-2017, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Owner STRDN1080

So I got this unit and it will NOT play DSF DFF through NAS/Network Storage ONLY USB for now and it doesn't include album art... perhaps a firmware update will fix that. This is something the pioneer vsx1130k did well, but this Sony is a major sound upgrade, I am an audiophile with Audeze LCD's; in 5ch Stereo DSD Direct must be turned off, DSD Direct is really meant for two full sized speakers as direct turns off subwoofer and uses L+R Front only. Even so, it sounds much clearer and cleaner in 2ch with my satellite speakers just no bass. I guess I can fix that issue with bigger better front speakers. Now about issues with 80w rms. I see none. It gets loud enough to be heard from 3 floors up AND zero distortion with hi-res audio with it cranked up in DSD mode. 5ch stereo mode I can't say the same about, you don't need to crank it cause you have more speakers supplementing the loudness, however with it cranked and DSD off with DSD files, its noticeably dirty. Perhaps just as dirty as the pioneer in 5ch.

PRO's: highly customizable, menu system is pretty on the eyes, clean sound from blu-rays, 4kblu, even DVD, so far outstanding sound, bringing out things the pioneer couldn't such as cleaner higher dolby rear sound effects.
Con's: takes quite some time to turn on -- didn't time it but its far from instant, no DLNA DSD support yet, the menu system needs run faster, like switching from usb/listen/music/source can have lags at times, don't know why perhaps a bug.

I hope this helps someone also I know we aren't suppose to talk price? but I got mine for around 425 no tax (Illinois residents will have tax ;-) ) & free shipping. PM me if you want to see the receipt, but I don't really want to get into price, just understand all you have to do is ASK for a price discount at some vendors, I did not use eBay. == A B T dot com== which lists it as 598 I think.

Any comments on DSD DSF DFF files through network? I have had it a day now.
denze, Ulisescm and Ian N like this.
post #50 of 2731 Old 05-05-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborges View Post
So I got this unit and it will NOT play DSF DFF through NAS/Network Storage ONLY USB for now and it doesn't include album art... perhaps a firmware update will fix that. This is something the pioneer vsx1130k did well, but this Sony is a major sound upgrade, I am an audiophile with Audeze LCD's; in 5ch Stereo DSD Direct must be turned off, DSD Direct is really meant for two full sized speakers as direct turns off subwoofer and uses L+R Front only. Even so, it sounds much clearer and cleaner in 2ch with my satellite speakers just no bass. I guess I can fix that issue with bigger better front speakers. Now about issues with 80w rms. I see none. It gets loud enough to be heard from 3 floors up AND zero distortion with hi-res audio with it cranked up in DSD mode. 5ch stereo mode I can't say the same about, you don't need to crank it cause you have more speakers supplementing the loudness, however with it cranked and DSD off with DSD files, its noticeably dirty. Perhaps just as dirty as the pioneer in 5ch.

PRO's: highly customizable, menu system is pretty on the eyes, clean sound from blu-rays, 4kblu, even DVD, so far outstanding sound, bringing out things the pioneer couldn't such as cleaner higher dolby rear sound effects.
Con's: takes quite some time to turn on -- didn't time it but its far from instant, no DLNA DSD support yet, the menu system needs run faster, like switching from usb/listen/music/source can have lags at times, don't know why perhaps a bug.

I hope this helps someone also I know we aren't suppose to talk price? but I got mine for around 425 no tax (Illinois residents will have tax ;-) ) & free shipping. PM me if you want to see the receipt, but I don't really want to get into price, just understand all you have to do is ASK for a price discount at some vendors, I did not use eBay. == A B T dot com== which lists it as 598 I think.

Any comments on DSD DSF DFF files through network? I have had it a day now.
I thought it was 100 wpc ?
The 1070 was outstanding the 1060 outstanding for cinema - would you clsssify this as more of a HT avr?
Room correction??
What is dsd? Dlna direct etc ?
How is the low bass - movies especially?
To me this is where Sony should shine over a lot avr.
I liked their version of thx hdccp something " how movies were meant to sound " etc
post #51 of 2731 Old 05-05-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post
I thought it was 100 wpc ?
The 1070 was outstanding the 1060 outstanding for cinema - would you clsssify this as more of a HT avr?
Room correction??
What is dsd? Dlna direct etc ?
How is the low bass - movies especially?
To me this is where Sony should shine over a lot avr.
I liked their version of thx hdccp something " how movies were meant to sound " etc
It shows as 165w per channel. I would classify it as premium. Room correction has not been tried yet, I have a square room and the speakers are somewhat properly defined... I really wanted to play (DSD) The source of the music file is a 180gram Vinyl Rip (.dsf,.dff). I hope that helps. example: mp3 3mb per song dsf recorded @5.6mhz = 310mb per SONG roughly. DLNA- media streaming from a host device such as "network storage" DSD direct natively decodes 1bit using a proprietary chipset. I will test a few more movies, I kept the bass low cause it rattles my house at night when people are sleeping. Trust me movies and music sound FANTASTIC....
post #52 of 2731 Old 05-08-2017, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a new theater room and have been waiting for the STR-DN1080 receiver to be available.
But I'm not sure how I should configure my speakers. My theater room does not have a back wall and I planned to install rear ceiling speakers. My surround speakers are located on the side walls... a little behind the front row of seats and a little in front of the 2nd/back row of seats.
My question to this forum: with this receiver should I install the ceiling speakers in the rear or in the front of the room?
I'm not sure if the DN1080's "Phantom Rear Speaker" feature will work in a room that lacks a rear wall.

Thanks.
post #53 of 2731 Old 05-10-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sherwood View Post
I have a new theater room and have been waiting for the STR-DN1080 receiver to be available.
But I'm not sure how I should configure my speakers. My theater room does not have a back wall and I planned to install rear ceiling speakers. My surround speakers are located on the side walls... a little behind the front row of seats and a little in front of the 2nd/back row of seats.
My question to this forum: with this receiver should I install the ceiling speakers in the rear or in the front of the room?
I'm not sure if the DN1080's "Phantom Rear Speaker" feature will work in a room that lacks a rear wall.

Thanks.

I have my rear speakers to the left and right (not behind me) I also have the surround back speakers in front ABOVE the L & R I have attached a picture. The rears are missing as I am standing in that area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	piia.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	2128833  
post #54 of 2731 Old 05-10-2017, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisescm View Post
Can I make 5.2.2 with it? I read everywhere 5.1.2 but I have 2 subs running with my old 1050 model
There are two sub outs but only one sub level control.
post #55 of 2731 Old 05-14-2017, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Ok, bit of a mad question and likely this device is extreme overkill, but here goes.

My setup

TV: Sony 79X900B
Soundbar: Sony HT-ST5000
Headphones: Sony MDR-HW700DS (HDMI 1.4)

Devices:
Mac mini
Apple TV 3rd gen
NVIDIA Shield
Amazon Fire TV
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Xbox One S

Essentially due to HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 madness I am going to incur issues getting sound to both my headphones and the Soundbar.

So:

Can this receiver send TV ARC audio to both HDMI outputs?
Can this receiver send just audio over the 2nd HDMI output?

Basically I can't find a decent HDMI switch that can handle HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 and TV ARC effectively

Also want to avoid the issue of HDCP step down with the headphones

Last edited by CrimsonSword; 05-14-2017 at 03:44 AM.
post #56 of 2731 Old 05-14-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSword View Post
So:

Can this receiver send TV ARC audio to both HDMI outputs?
Can this receiver send just audio over the 2nd HDMI output?

Basically I can't find a decent HDMI switch that can handle HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 and TV ARC effectively

Also want to avoid the issue of HDCP step down with the headphones
I haven't seen any receiver yet with 2 HMDI outputs that has ARC on both; only on 1. Not that there isn't one, but I would suspect to find one would require forking over a lot more money on a higher end model than this DN1080.
post #57 of 2731 Old 05-14-2017, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikhead View Post
I haven't seen any receiver yet with 2 HMDI outputs that has ARC on both; only on 1. Not that there isn't one, but I would suspect to find one would require forking over a lot more money on a higher end model than this DN1080.
Thanks for the response. I guess I can optical from the TV to the headphones then.

How about the dual HDMI output, does that limit you to the max capability of the lower spec device? E.g if the active input requires hdmi 2.0 andoutput 1 is connected to a HDMI 2.0 device but output 2 is HDMI 1.4, does the input device detect this?
post #58 of 2731 Old 05-27-2017, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need held with STRDN1080

Hello, I purchased a new Sony STRDN1080. I am having a problems with intermittent video flickering when using Roku 3 and at a separate time using a Roku USB stick. I tried switching HDMI cables however same problem. I also have been using a Playstation 3 with the new Receiver with NO problems. This TV I am using is a 6 month old new Samsung SUHD TV. Any suggestions before I consider returning the receiver?
post #59 of 2731 Old 05-28-2017, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sony Japan's page for the STR-DN1080 shows it does support Dolby Vision!

http://www.sony.jp/audio/products/STR-DN1080

Google Translated page
https://translate.google.com/transla...0/&prev=search
pL4tiNumfi5t likes this.
post #60 of 2731 Old 05-29-2017, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by aborges View Post
It shows as 165w per channel. I would classify it as premium. Room correction has not been tried yet, I have a square room and the speakers are somewhat properly defined... I really wanted to play (DSD) The source of the music file is a 180gram Vinyl Rip (.dsf,.dff). I hope that helps. example: mp3 3mb per song dsf recorded @5.6mhz = 310mb per SONG roughly. DLNA- media streaming from a host device such as "network storage" DSD direct natively decodes 1bit using a proprietary chipset. I will test a few more movies, I kept the bass low cause it rattles my house at night when people are sleeping. Trust me movies and music sound FANTASTIC....
Forget the watts per channel that Sony spouts...it's marketing baloney...

Here is the real spec you need to know...from Crutchfield..."100 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven". This isn't bad at all...forget the 165W per channel nonsense....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page