Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2211Likes

post #1651 of 2827 Old 06-16-2018, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
I think the AVR has already taken this into consideration as you should have specified the Ceiling Height measurement.
Maybe... But from the settings it says that ceiling height only applies to In Ceiling Speaker mode. It might just be me but the height effect seemed a tiny bit better when I increased the distance. Edit: But now that I a/b'd them both I couldnt tell much of a difference.

Last edited by FullyArray; 06-16-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have this receiver with a PS4 pro and an LG C8 TV.

I have the PS4 pro connected to the GAME port and have enabled the port to be enhanced on the 1080.
I have HDR enabled on the PS4 pro.
I then turn on HDMI deep color option on the LG C8.

The signal gets lost on the TV and I have no image.

If I bypass the receiver and plug the PS4 directly into the the C8, 4K/HDR works no problem.
If I set the enhanced port on the receiver back to standard I get 1080 resolution as expected and leave hdmi deep color on the c8 I also get HDR.

If I disable HDR on the PS4 pro I get 4K no HDR but I also notice that hdmi deep color on the C8 gets turned off

Why can't I get 4K HDR going via the receiver?
post #1653 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Reese View Post
I have this receiver with a PS4 pro and an LG C8 TV.

I have the PS4 pro connected to the GAME port and have enabled the port to be enhanced on the 1080.
I have HDR enabled on the PS4 pro.
I then turn on HDMI deep color option on the LG C8.

The signal gets lost on the TV and I have no image.

If I bypass the receiver and plug the PS4 directly into the the C8, 4K/HDR works no problem.
If I set the enhanced port on the receiver back to standard I get 1080 resolution as expected and leave hdmi deep color on the c8 I also get HDR.
If I disable HDR on the PS4 pro I get 4K no HDR but I also notice that hdmi deep color on the C8 gets turned off

Why can't I get 4K HDR going via the receiver?

I figured it out I think. It's the cable inside my wall going to the TV.

If I have the PS4 plugged into game and then the TV OUT on the receiver going straight to the tv instead of the wall 4K HDR works no issues.

I have an hdmi port on the wall. The cable in the wall runs upwards to where the TV is mounted comes out of a hole and plugs into the TV. It seems it doesn't like this cable in the chain. It's an HDMI 2.0b cable.

Does HDMI not 'like' chained together cables? is it better to have 1 single cable between TV and device?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Ok, getting a bit p*ssed off with this now.

Pretty much every morning I come downstairs, and the TV is on, as well as the av unit and the shield. This never happened with any other av receiver. Have followed the steps Sony support gave me and it still happens.

Everything is cec enabled, which was never a problem before.

Anyone else encountered this very annoying issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1655 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarleyUK View Post

Pretty much every morning I come downstairs, and the TV is on, as well as the av unit and the shield. This never happened with any other av receiver. Have followed the steps Sony support gave me and it still happens.

Do you have any home automation? Alexa, Google Home?
Does the shield or tv have network power on options?
Do you have auto standby turned on for the AVR and TV?
post #1656 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades228 View Post
Do you have any home automation? Alexa, Google Home?
Does the shield or tv have network power on options?
Do you have auto standby turned on for the AVR and TV?

Nope, no home automation. No network power on selected for anything either, and auto standby is disabled for everything.

post #1657 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

I've got a power plug witch switches the power off when i go to sleep and switches on when i arrive home. Then my AVR, TV and Shiel also turn on, so maybe there is a short power outage somewhere during the nigth at your place.
post #1658 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

I would guess its the Shield. Try disconnecting the Shield from the power outlet at night and see if the TV and AVR are on in the morning.

My AVR and TV will not power on after a power failure, but I do not have a Shield so do not know what that would do.
post #1659 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Nope, no home automation. No network power on selected for anything either, and auto standby is disabled for everything.

Well I would enable auto standby on the AVR first. If you wake up and it's still on you know something is sending a signal consistently to it. If it's off but your TV and Shield are on then you know something is waking it up but it's turning itself off. Then I'd just turn auto standby on the TV.

Either that or shoot you cat that is walking on whatever is turning it on.
post #1660 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

If I have the PS4 plugged into game and then the TV OUT on the receiver going straight to the tv instead of the wall 4K HDR works no issues.

I have an hdmi port on the wall. The cable in the wall runs upwards to where the TV is mounted comes out of a hole and plugs into the TV. It seems it doesn't like this cable in the chain. It's an HDMI 2.0b cable.

Does HDMI not 'like' chained together cables? is it better to have 1 single cable between TV and device?
In my experience that's been the case. It's best to have as shortest cabling as you can when it comes to these handsaking issues, especially with HDR signals. Cable quality is another factor but length is key. If you have to chain it like that I think there's some splitters that can help with that sort of thing.
post #1661 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 12:29 PM

Liked: 10
hdmi keystone

Quote:

I have CL2 rated in wall hdmi cables from the regular wall plate 18 inches off the ground up to the wall plate for the mounted television. The hdmi cable in the wall connects to HDMI Keystone adapters top and bottom so the one hdmi cable is plugged into the bottom wall plate keystone adapter, the signal then travels up the cable in the wall to the second keystone adapter in the wall plate behind the mounted television and then to another cable to the television.

I have two different rooms with this setup and found that there were always some problems with resolution or audio synch, etc. The cause of all the problems were the hdmi keystone adapters in the wall plates. They are all garbage. I took the keystone adapters out and then fed the in wall hdmi cable through an now empty keystone hole top and bottom and then connected good hdmi cables with female to female connectors top and bottom. It fixed all the problems.

Your problems maybe related to your cables. In my experience it is not worth spending a lot of money on the cables but just try out different ones.

You may have a solution if you unscrew the wall plates and pull the in wall hdmi cable out of both and use that to hook up both cables. This is all low voltage so there is no risk of electrocution if you leave the cables hanging out of the wall until you are finished. You could experiment that way without causing any damage. It does require female to female adapters to hook up the cables together but those are inexpensive.
post #1662 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Center Speaker Lift Up

I just received my DN1080 finally. The first one was damaged in shipping from an online retailer. So I went to Best Buy to get it instead.

On the Speaker Settings, the "Center Speaker Lift Up" was grayed out. Can someone please advise how I should debug the system?

I have configured the AV R in 6.1 mode. No headphone is used. No Height speakers. Bluetooth mode is set to Receiver. The in-ceiling speaker is OFF.

What should I try next? Thanks.
post #1663 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by vett93 View Post
I just received my DN1080 finally. The first one was damaged in shipping from an online retailer. So I went to Best Buy to get it instead.

On the Speaker Settings, the "Center Speaker Lift Up" was grayed out. Can someone please advise how I should debug the system?

I have configured the AV R in 6.1 mode. No headphone is used. No Height speakers. Bluetooth mode is set to Receiver. The in-ceiling speaker is OFF.

What should I try next? Thanks.
See p152 of the Help Manual. The most likely restriction is this statement about why it will not work "[Height/Overhead Speakers] is set to other than [FH] (front high speakers) in the [Speaker Pattern]
setting"
post #1664 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
See p152 of the Help Manual. The most likely restriction is this statement about why it will not work "[Height/Overhead Speakers] is set to other than [FH] (front high speakers) in the [Speaker Pattern]
setting"
Thanks!
post #1665 of 2827 Old 06-17-2018, 07:55 PM

Subwoofer too powerful after caliberation

It seems that the subwoofer is too powerful and also is inconsistent with the auto and manual calibration. After the auto calibration, the subwoofer was adjusted at +4.5dB with the reference of 0dB of the front speakers. I set all my speakers small.

I found it way too powerful and manually adjusted it down to -3dB and also set the subwoofer at the night mode. Then I went to generate some test tones and found the subwoofer was very quiet as compared to the front speakers.

Why is there such a discrepancy?
post #1666 of 2827 Old 06-18-2018, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone !

My setup is :

Intel NUC PC connected to the STRDN 1080 AMP via BD/DVD input
AMP Connected to Sony x900 TV via HDMI/ARC

i have 2 issues with the Sony STRDN 1080 AMP.

1) Each time i turn off the AMP ,
after turning on , it goes to TV input instead of previously selected BD/DVD input.
This makes me select BD/DVD each time i turn it on. Very annoying.

2) Each time i turn of the AMP ,
after turning on it selects 2 channel output instead of 4 Channel / Multi Channel selected earlier.
Also very annoying.

Why my selections do not stick as last used /default? How can i fix it?
Thank you.
post #1667 of 2827 Old 06-18-2018, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokusa View Post
I see what you mean about the connection when switching. I have swapped out the HDMI cable from TV to AVR through ARC and see if that makes a difference.

I have swapped the cable out on my PS4 that connects to the AVR and still have had it swap to Home. When I press any button on the controller it swaps back to the game but that's not too convenient when you're in the middle of a game that doesn't pause and the home screen pops up. Thanks for the input and ideas, if you have any more let me know. When I get a day off I will call Sony support and see if they know of the issue and, if so, any workarounds or solutions. If not, may be time to swap AVRs as that is not going to be a workable solution to have my game drop to the home screen in the middle like that.

Also, the length of the cable is 6.6 ft for both
Quote:
The first problem is a problem between the TV and the AVR, where the TV has lost communication with the AVR. You can simulate this by playing YouTube from the TV app and turning the AVR off. The TV will switch to internal speakers. Turn the AVR back on and the audio will eventually switch back to the AVR. Try replacing the hdmi cable that connects these devices.

The second problem is a bit more troubling. I have not had my DN1080 switch to Home menu in the middle of playback, but on startup it does that when my media player is the selected device. It also sound like the loss of communication issue. Try replacing the hdmi cable as outlined about and let's see what happens. What is the length of the hdmi cables involved?
Following up on this, I cleared the AVR through holding the power button down, reset up everything, and am still experiencing the problems. Moreso, the bottom problem (switching to Home randomly in the middle of gameplay) has been the most intrusive by far. I am not sure what else to do, could the CEC settings be causing this or might it be something with the AVR itself? I sent a support request to Sony and will update in case something comes from them. If anyone else is experiencing this let me know as well so that if someone else comes upon this they can find a solution.
post #1668 of 2827 Old 06-18-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett93 View Post
It seems that the subwoofer is too powerful and also is inconsistent with the auto and manual calibration. After the auto calibration, the subwoofer was adjusted at +4.5dB with the reference of 0dB of the front speakers. I set all my speakers small.

I found it way too powerful and manually adjusted it down to -3dB and also set the subwoofer at the night mode. Then I went to generate some test tones and found the subwoofer was very quiet as compared to the front speakers.

Why is there such a discrepancy?

Ever 3dB is double the power. You cut the power to the sub by -7.5dB and then night mode is also adding limited frequencies. You need to do incremental changes not multiple large ones. Id keep night mode off at first and change the dB to -4 and reduce 1 dB at a time. Also the test tones are set at specific volumes for calibration and won’t sound the same during live playback unless someone used that whole pattern exactly.

post #1669 of 2827 Old 06-18-2018, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The buzzing makes me very angry. Argh. Don't know what to do, I can't unhear it.

Does anyone have any problems with "buzzing sound" from the speakers? All connected speakers have the same buzz which is noticable in the quiet moments of the movies. It is present on all inputs EXCEPT - USB. Also, I can very clearly produce it when I press home and then go to Setup and switching up/down trough the settings. I can "hear" selecting different settings, like, "bzz" "bzz" "bzz". Don't know why this is happening...but it must be associated with power supply and the way it draws more electricity on selecting different options.

I tried everything. Disconnecting HDMI's, turning OFF BT, wired network connection, tried different AC socket. It is always present in a way when input is on any position other than USB. When on it, It's normal speaker noise - Very low and not distracting. The moment I switch to SAT, GAME or BD,.. the annoying buzzing starts. It is not so loud that I can not use AVR, I can, but it is def. noticeable in my small room, when you know it is there.

Also, when AVR is in standby I can hear low powersupply/transformer buzzing, but its not a problem for me because all my previous AVR's had it in some way. When I turn on AVR, that powersupply buzz dissapear, and the one in speakers start.

Do you think I can do something else? Maybe some AC Stabilizers or something, I don't know. :/

edit. here is the quick recording of the buzzing from the central speaker. Now that x6 more speakers. Baaah.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bh013hka0...23355.m4a?dl=0

Velimir

Last edited by Velimir Saban; 06-19-2018 at 07:24 AM.
post #1670 of 2827 Old 06-18-2018, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimir Saban View Post
The buzzing makes me very angry. Argh. Don't know what to do, I can't unhear it.

Does anyone have any problems with "buzzing sound" from the speakers? All connected speakers have the same buzz which is noticable in the quiet moments of the movies. It is present on all inputs EXCEPT - USB. Also, I can very clearly produce it when I press home and then go to Setup and switching up/down trough the settings. I can "hear" selecting different settings, like, "bzz" "bzz" "bzz". Don't know why this is happening...but it must be associated with power supply and the way it draws more electricity on selecting different options.

I tried everything. Disconnecting HDMI's, turning OFF BT, wired network connection, tried different AC socket. It is always present in a way when input is on any position other than USB. When on it, It's normal speaker noise - Very low and not distracting. The moment I switch to SAT, GAME or BD,.. the annoying buzzing starts. It is not so loud that I can not use AVR, I can, but it is def. noticeable in my small room, when you know it is there.

Also, when AVR is in standby I can hear low powersupply/transformer buzzing, but its not a problem for me because all my previous AVR's had it in some way. When I turn on AVR, that powersupply buzz dissapear, and the one in speakers start.

Do you think I can do something else? Maybe some AC Stabilizers or something, I don't know. 😕

Velimir
Return the unit, exchange, warranty repair?

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S
post #1671 of 2827 Old 06-19-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post
I recorded buzzing from my central speaker today. Just turn the volume UP a bit, because I used iPhone to do this. It's a bit louder in person

post #1672 of 2827 Old 06-19-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I recorded buzzing from my central speaker today. Just turn the volume UP a bit, because I used iPhone to do this. It's a bit louder in person [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

If it were me, I would take it back to the store and let them sort it. Or at the very least phone Sony tech support. Buzzing is *not* normal.

Today I turned the AVR to "max" volume and I couldn't hear hiss even from my listening position. Silent. I have 8ohm 5.1 speakers and 6ohm up-firing speakers. I have a heap of equipment plugged into the same surge protector. I do have a decent gauge speaker wire.

-
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 06-19-2018 at 04:21 PM.
post #1673 of 2827 Old 06-19-2018, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just setup my new Sony 1080. All good so far apart from I can't find away to display on (TV) screen the input and output details. My previous Onkyo 656 would display the incoming connection and output connection details. So you can tell what is exactly being output from a device and what the Sony 1080 is outputing. The onkyo display both audio and visual details. Any help would be gratefully received.

LG 55C7 - Panasonic UB300 - Onkyo TX-656 - PS4 Pro - Sky Q - Monitor Audio MASS 5.1 Speakers
post #1674 of 2827 Old 06-19-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Malin View Post
Just setup my new Sony 1080. All good so far apart from I can't find away to display on (TV) screen the input and output details. My previous Onkyo 656 would display the incoming connection and output connection details. So you can tell what is exactly being output from a device and what the Sony 1080 is outputing. The onkyo display both audio and visual details. Any help would be gratefully received.
The button on the front of the unit shows the input info. It's a pity the "display" button on the remote does not.

-
Xbox One S
post #1675 of 2827 Old 06-19-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
If it were me, I would take it back to the store and let them sort it. Or at the very least phone Sony tech support. Buzzing is *not* normal.

Last night I turned the AVR to full volume (well, it said "55" on the display) using the Music Center app (there was no audio playing at that moment) and I couldn't hear hiss even from my listening position. Silent. I have 8ohm 5.1 speakers and 6ohm up-firing speakers. I have a heap of equipment plugged into the same surge protector. I do have a decent gauge speaker wire.
I disconnected the dn1080, and in his place put DENON AVR-X2300W Atmos model from 2016 I think, borrowed it from my brother to test. So: the same speakers, environment, cables... DENON is dead silent... and oh boy it is better built, with bit faster and more advanced UI, remote with more options, more information on the LCD screen... I want to keep it now

Sony is going to the service tomorrow. Just unacceptably bad quality control and obviously cheep components. So disapointed. When you look two receivers side by side, and into the AVR interior, you can see how more advanced Denon is.

Vel.
post #1676 of 2827 Old 06-19-2018, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
I disconnected the dn1080, and in his place put DENON AVR-X2300W Atmos model from 2016 I think, borrowed it from my brother to test. So: the same speakers, environment, cables... DENON is dead silent... and oh boy it is better built, with bit faster and more advanced UI, remote with more options, more information on the LCD screen... I want to keep it now

Sony is going to the service tomorrow. Just unacceptably bad quality control and obviously cheep components. So disapointed. When you look two receivers side by side, and into the AVR interior, you can see how more advanced Denon is.

Vel.
How's the sound compared to the Sony

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #1677 of 2827 Old 06-19-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
How's the sound compared to the Sony

Tried Dolby Atmos 2016 Disc from ps4 right now, sounds pretty close to Sony, maybe the subwoofer is just a bit weaker, but further calibration is needed I think. Atmos effects are the same, amazing, I manually set double distance to Front atmos enabled spkrs to get some more power. Sounds really good overall. I am really impressed with Denon, never had it before in my home theatre. At first remote looked ugly and dated, but I quickly fell in love with quick select buttons and info as well. Still prefer sony design though. The most important thing is, the buzzing or humming, from the unit or the speakers is non existing.

post #1678 of 2827 Old 06-19-2018, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Tried Dolby Atmos 2016 Disc from ps4 right now, sounds pretty close to Sony, maybe the subwoofer is just a bit weaker, but further calibration is needed I think. Atmos effects are the same, amazing, I manually set double distance to Front atmos enabled spkrs to get some more power. Sounds really good overall. I am really impressed with Denon, never had it before in my home theatre. At first remote looked ugly and dated, but I quickly fell in love with quick select buttons and info as well. Still prefer sony design though. The most important thing is, the buzzing or humming, from the unit or the speakers is non existing.

Luckily I don't have any issues with my Sony. Sound wise it's very clear. I wish it had more power or at least pre outs. I think I'll keep it until HDMI 2.1 rolls out. That way I can update to that and get a receiver that has pre outs in case I ever want to get a dedicated amp. I think all I'm missing is a good subwoofer. I'm also thinking about adding height speakers. Would it be worth it?

post #1679 of 2827 Old 06-19-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Luckily I don't have any issues with my Sony. Sound wise it's very clear. I wish it had more power or at least pre outs.
I never go more than half volume on mine, and that's loud. Often I'm at about 1/4 volume depending on the input. Sometimes 1/3.

-
Xbox One S
post #1680 of 2827 Old 06-20-2018, 12:32 AM

Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR

Quote:
Luckily I don't have any issues with my Sony. Sound wise it's very clear. I wish it had more power or at least pre outs. I think I'll keep it until HDMI 2.1 rolls out. That way I can update to that and get a receiver that has pre outs in case I ever want to get a dedicated amp. I think all I'm missing is a good subwoofer. I'm also thinking about adding height speakers. Would it be worth it?

Absolutely yes. If you can't work out true height speakers, consider adding Atmos ones. I was sceptical about Atmos Enabled Speakers, but, if your room is right. (Not too big, and with flat ceiling) it really works. I changed my whole old 5.1 set to this:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/review...atmos-speakers

...and it's a joy to listen to if you have sources with Atmos tracks.

Vel.

Last edited by Velimir Saban; 06-22-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page