Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2206Likes

post #1951 of 2706 Old 09-09-2018, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm slowly going through the process of upgrading my setup and just recently picked up this AVR. I've been having a lot of trouble with the HDMI outputs and am looking for some help.

I have a Sony X800D (TV) and a Vizio SB3630-E6 (soundbar). My goal was to have all of my inputs run into this AVR, then one HDMI output to my TV and the other to my soundbar. However, so far every combination I've tried has lead to one thing or another not working.

I can either get sound to my soundbar, but no HDR passthrough to my TV or vice versa. I've tried changing HDMI output to A+B and switching HDMI output B to zone, but still no luck. The only success I've had was HDMI output A to my TV and then using the HDMI ARC input on my TV to the HDMI ARC input on my soundbar, but this degrades the sound quite significantly.

I guess first off, was this a failure to educate myself or should this work? Am I missing something obvious? Is this a known issue? Could there be something wrong with my unit? Could it be a cable issue? (Most of my HDMI cables are just random cables I've inherited that have come as accessories and I have no idea as to their quality.)

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. This is all still pretty new to me and I've spent a minute trying to wrap my head around all the different formats, specifications, and the massive compatibilty matrix between all my devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 2706 Old 09-10-2018, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhnomoli View Post
I'm slowly going through the process of upgrading my setup and just recently picked up this AVR. I've been having a lot of trouble with the HDMI outputs and am looking for some help.

I have a Sony X800D (TV) and a Vizio SB3630-E6 (soundbar). My goal was to have all of my inputs run into this AVR, then one HDMI output to my TV and the other to my soundbar. However, so far every combination I've tried has lead to one thing or another not working.

I can either get sound to my soundbar, but no HDR passthrough to my TV or vice versa. I've tried changing HDMI output to A+B and switching HDMI output B to zone, but still no luck. The only success I've had was HDMI output A to my TV and then using the HDMI ARC input on my TV to the HDMI ARC input on my soundbar, but this degrades the sound quite significantly.

I guess first off, was this a failure to educate myself or should this work? Am I missing something obvious? Is this a known issue? Could there be something wrong with my unit? Could it be a cable issue? (Most of my HDMI cables are just random cables I've inherited that have come as accessories and I have no idea as to their quality.)

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. This is all still pretty new to me and I've spent a minute trying to wrap my head around all the different formats, specifications, and the massive compatibilty matrix between all my devices.
So your sound bar is connected via HDMI? That won't work correctly as zone b has limitations I believe. Can you use an optical cable?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #1953 of 2706 Old 09-10-2018, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

You did not provide a complete overview of your equipment so I am guessing that you have some devices, live cable box and DVD player, connected to the AVR. This makes your setup with an AVR and soundbar quite abnormal. It is usually AVR and speakers or just soundbar. Not both. As Brian suggested you should use an optical cable connection from the AVR to the soundbar.

Unless you have a lot of equipment your setup would work just as well without the AVR by connecting all the equipment to the TV with the sound being sent to the soundbar from the TV via hdmi. The AVR would only be needed if you are using the AVR for FM radio or chromecast functions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 2706 Old 09-10-2018, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
So your sound bar is connected via HDMI? That won't work correctly as zone b has limitations I believe. Can you use an optical cable?

Ah ok. In the manual it does say zone B is limited to 9 Gbps when it is set to zone, but I was hoping that would be sufficient for audio out to my soundbar. I also couldn't find anything in the manual about limitations of setting the HDMI output to A+B with zone B set to main and was hoping that might work as well, but no luck.

It is connected via HDMI. I only saw one optical input on the back of the AVR, can it be used as an output? Also, maybe I can get a better answer here, I've tried doing some research on my own and found some conflicting information. What are the differences between HDMI ARC and optical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
You did not provide a complete overview of your equipment so I am guessing that you have some devices, live cable box and DVD player, connected to the AVR. This makes your setup with an AVR and soundbar quite abnormal. It is usually AVR and speakers or just soundbar. Not both. As Brian suggested you should use an optical cable connection from the AVR to the soundbar.

Unless you have a lot of equipment your setup would work just as well without the AVR by connecting all the equipment to the TV with the sound being sent to the soundbar from the TV via hdmi. The AVR would only be needed if you are using the AVR for FM radio or chromecast functions.
Yeah, I know it's a bit wonky. I'm in the process of upgrading and will likely be picking up some speakers to replace the soundbar during Black Friday. I made the step of grabbing the AVR first as I've ran out of 4k HDR inputs on my TV.
post #1955 of 2706 Old 09-10-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

Ah ok. In the manual it does say zone B is limited to 9 Gbps when it is set to zone, but I was hoping that would be sufficient for audio out to my soundbar. I also couldn't find anything in the manual about limitations of setting the HDMI output to A+B with zone B set to main and was hoping that might work as well, but no luck.

It is connected via HDMI. I only saw one optical input on the back of the AVR, can it be used as an output? Also, maybe I can get a better answer here, I've tried doing some research on my own and found some conflicting information. What are the differences between HDMI ARC and optical?

Yeah, I know it's a bit wonky. I'm in the process of upgrading and will likely be picking up some speakers to replace the soundbar during Black Friday. I made the step of grabbing the AVR first as I've ran out of 4k HDR inputs on my TV.
Yes optical is out. You only need one. ARC is used to eliminate the need for optical. But I'm your situation it seems like your only option.

post #1956 of 2706 Old 09-10-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My bad. The AVR only has an optical in, not an optical out, so that is not an option.

Quote:
Until that happens you should connect all you regularly used devices to the TV along with the soundbar (using the ARC port), leaving one hdmi input for the AVR. Get this working to your satisfaction). Then connect your remaining device(s) to the AVR. You should not be able to have any of these remaining devices thru the AVR to the TV with the sound going from the TV to the soundbar. It is certainly a challenge using multiple remotes to get all the correct inputs.
post #1957 of 2706 Old 09-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yes optical is out. You only need one. ARC is used to eliminate the need for optical. But I'm your situation it seems like your only option.

Quote:
My bad. The AVR only has an optical in, not an optical out, so that is not an option.

Until that happens you should connect all you regularly used devices to the TV along with the soundbar (using the ARC port), leaving one hdmi input for the AVR. Get this working to your satisfaction). Then connect your remaining device(s) to the AVR. You should not be able to have any of these remaining devices thru the AVR to the TV with the sound going from the TV to the soundbar. It is certainly a challenge using multiple remotes to get all the correct inputs.
I mentioned it in my original post, but I have it working at the moment with ARC. Currently all of my devices are plugged into the AVR, the AVR is connected to my TV, and then the ARC input on my TV is connected to the ARC input on my soundbar. However, this reduces the audio to stereo.

I was hoping there would be a way to take advantage of the second HDMI output on the AVR to use the non-ARC HDMI input on my soundbar which supports much better audio. I've tested this as my Blu-ray player as a second HDMI output for audio only and the sound is much better when plugged into the non-ARC HDMI input on my soundbar.
post #1958 of 2706 Old 09-11-2018, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarleyUK View Post
Think I'm going to change this for another receiver - tired of the annoying quirks it has (such as randomly turning on from standby, xbox one atmos not working, slow menu etc.). Hopefully getting a denon 6400 tomorrow, while the Mrs is out.....!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
I'm picking up a 4400 soon. I love the sound of the Sony but trying something new

Any feedback on the Denon AVR's? Without any local support for the SONY and importing effectively doubling the cost, I'm going to get a DENON with comparable specs. Hoping the sound quality is on par
post #1959 of 2706 Old 09-11-2018, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic54 View Post
Any feedback on the Denon AVR's? Without any local support for the SONY and importing effectively doubling the cost, I'm going to get a DENON with comparable specs. Hoping the sound quality is on par
I've never owned one. I'm hoping audessey can make some magic happen. I have a less than ideal living room. But the 4400 checks every box I need to control all the media in my house.

post #1960 of 2706 Old 09-11-2018, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic54 View Post

The 6400 I have is immense - I also upgraded all speakers though, so it sounds a lot more impressive and powerful.

However, the usability and simplicity of the denon is much better, IMO. Things like not having to wait 30 seconds before you can access a menu etc.

post #1961 of 2706 Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarleyUK View Post
The 6400 I have is immense - I also upgraded all speakers though, so it sounds a lot more impressive and powerful.

However, the usability and simplicity of the denon is much better, IMO. Things like not having to wait 30 seconds before you can access a menu etc.

That's good to hear. 4400 and 6400 should sound identical

post #1962 of 2706 Old 09-12-2018, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I just got this yesterday and will set it up today, but just a quick question: Does the Bluetooth out to headphones mute the speakers when enabled or not? Muting would be the whole point when using it for late night sessions obviously, but I didn't see anything in the manual about this.
post #1963 of 2706 Old 09-12-2018, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettern View Post
I just got this yesterday and will set it up today, but just a quick question: Does the Bluetooth out to headphones mute the speakers when enabled or not? Muting would be the whole point when using it for late night sessions obviously, but I didn't see anything in the manual about this.
Yes, when switching to BT speakers (you have to also switch the receiver from receiving BT to transmitting in the settings menu each time you activate this feature) the external speakers are turned off.

~ MAX
Sony XBR-65Z9D 4K TV | Sony STR-DN1080 AVR | Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray | NVIDIA Shield TV | PlayStation 4 Pro | Harmony Ultimate
Pioneer Andrew Jones Design: SP-C22 Center Channel/4x SP-BS22A-LR Dolby Atmos Bookshelf/SW-8MK2 Subwoofer
post #1964 of 2706 Old 09-14-2018, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sorry for asking something probably already mentioned somewhere in this thread but I'm just wondering about video pass through. I don't want the 1080 to do any upscaling. What setting should I be looking for?
post #1965 of 2706 Old 09-14-2018, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mairj View Post
Sorry for asking something probably already mentioned somewhere in this thread but I'm just wondering about video pass through. I don't want the 1080 to do any upscaling. What setting should I be looking for?
Go to HDMI Settings -> Upscaling video signals to 4k -> turn it off.
post #1966 of 2706 Old 09-15-2018, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Lakshay View Post
No one here to help me out?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure the back panel says the input is 500W, though it might be 600W (my AVR is hard to get to so I can't look now). That falls in line with the specs I've seen for this to run 7 channels @ 70W each.
Dr.Lakshay likes this.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #1967 of 2706 Old 09-15-2018, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
A little help today if someone doesn't mind:
I think many of us purchased this unit for D-atmos and D-vision, but there is no simple way to enable / engage these features that I can tell. They seem to be buried behind other less well known acronyms.
First, on the amazon picture for this unit it says in big letters on the display "DAtmos", I've only gotten that part of the screen to display the selected device input - is this really supposed to show "DAtmos" there if it is processing an atmos stream? I assume Atmos would work just fine selecting the sound scape of "dolby surround" but I gather from this thread it has to be AFD? Is this true? Very confusing.

One last ? for now. I love the idea of sending some center channel sound to the height channels to "up lift" the center sound, but I was surprised that you cannot use this feature with Atmos-type up-pointing speakers. You can only do this with wall mounted height speakers. Is it worth lying to STRDN1080 about the height speaker types? Will that screw things up for atmos streams? Will it not "up lift" the center channel appropriately?

Thanks in advance.
post #1968 of 2706 Old 09-15-2018, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybum View Post
I think many of us purchased this unit for D-atmos and D-vision, but there is no simple way to enable / engage these features that I can tell. They seem to be buried behind other less well known acronyms.
DAtmos is automatically selected when the audio stream contains the specific Atmos information if you have a suitable speaker configuration and you do not override by selecting 2ch/multi sound field mode.
Quote:
First, on the amazon picture for this unit it says in big letters on the display "DAtmos", I've only gotten that part of the screen to display the selected device input - is this really supposed to show "DAtmos" there if it is processing an atmos stream? I assume Atmos would work just fine selecting the sound scape of "dolby surround" but I gather from this thread it has to be AFD? Is this true? Very confusing.
The display panel on the AVR will show DAtmos if you cycle thru the display modes by pressing the Display Mode on the front of the unit.
Quote:
One last ? for now. I love the idea of sending some center channel sound to the height channels to "up lift" the center sound, but I was surprised that you cannot use this feature with Atmos-type up-pointing speakers. You can only do this with wall mounted height speakers. Is it worth lying to STRDN1080 about the height speaker types? Will that screw things up for atmos streams? Will it not "up lift" the center channel appropriately?
Doing this will not break anything, but yes it will screw up the Atmos reproduction. You may not notice the difference, so try it out and see what you like best. I just use the AVR in the standard 5.1.2 configuration with my DE speakers and AFD sound field. It's a set it and forget it operation.
post #1969 of 2706 Old 09-15-2018, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DAtmos is automatically selected when the audio stream contains the specific Atmos information if you have a suitable speaker configuration and you do not override by selecting 2ch/multi sound field mode.
The display panel on the AVR will show DAtmos if you cycle thru the display modes by pressing the Display Mode on the front of the unit.
Doing this will not break anything, but yes it will screw up the Atmos reproduction. You may not notice the difference, so try it out and see what you like best. I just use the AVR in the standard 5.1.2 configuration with my DE speakers and AFD sound field. It's a set it and forget it operation.
I get Datmos on Jack Ryan. I don't even have an Atmos set up

post #1970 of 2706 Old 09-15-2018, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I get Datmos on Jack Ryan. I don't even have an Atmos set up
Of course. The display shows what audio format is being received, i.e. "DAtmos", which is not dependant on what, if any, speakers you have. There just won't be any height speakers for the AVR to send signal to.

-

post #1971 of 2706 Old 09-15-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I assume Atmos would work just fine selecting the sound scape of "dolby surround" but I gather from this thread it has to be AFD? Is this true? Very confusing.
It's not that confusing. Leaving the AVR on "A.F.D." will decode everything correctly - Stereo as stereo, and DAtmos as DAtmos, etc, etc.

You only need to change the Sound Field if you want to mess with the audio processing and force it to do something else.

Quote:
I love the idea of sending some center channel sound to the height channels to "up lift" the center sound, but I was surprised that you cannot use this feature with Atmos-type up-pointing speakers.
You know how in a good 2 channel stereo config, good imaging makes the vocals come out what seems to be a centre speaker, even though you might not have one (or it's not being used)? Well I imagine that's similar to how the Up Lift works. It's easy to imagine this working with a "FH" speaker arrangement by sending some signal to the FH speakers.

I imagine the imaging won't work so well with FD or TM speakers, especially FD speakers where audio is bounced and dispersed across the ceiling.

-

post #1972 of 2706 Old 09-17-2018, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hello guys. Can we play video files on the AVR directly using a USB drive. I tried but could play only audio.
Also the built-in chromecast also supports only audio?

post #1973 of 2706 Old 09-17-2018, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hello guys. Can we play video files on the AVR directly using a USB drive. I tried but could play only audio.
Also the built-in chromecast also supports only audio?

Only audio via Chromecast

Dr.Lakshay likes this.
post #1974 of 2706 Old 09-17-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:

Any idea about video files via USB?

post #1975 of 2706 Old 09-17-2018, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No clue but I wouldn't doubt that's audio as well

Dr.Lakshay likes this.
post #1976 of 2706 Old 09-17-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
No clue but I wouldn't doubt that's audio as well

Yes looks like that's audio too. Will have to use a laptop for movies.

post #1977 of 2706 Old 09-17-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:

The STR-DN1080 has no video playing capabilities. Neither USB, Chromecast or DLNA will play video files. It's audio only. You will need another device to play video files unfortunately.
Lightjug and Dr.Lakshay like this.

-

post #1978 of 2706 Old 09-18-2018, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Question guy's? Has anyone used Sony's auto calibration Microphone for speaker setup? If you have how is it?
post #1979 of 2706 Old 09-18-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone using a Sammy Q9fn with this? Any issues with it? What's your set up like? My tv comes tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should run everything through the receiver or directly through the one connect

post #1980 of 2706 Old 09-18-2018, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Question guy's? Has anyone used Sony's auto calibration Microphone for speaker setup? If you have how is it?
Works just fine. Need to check over settings. Speaker size and crossover usually need to be adjusted to your preference

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page