Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2207Likes

post #1981 of 2801 Old 09-18-2018, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Question guy's? Has anyone used Sony's auto calibration Microphone for speaker setup? If you have how is it?
It's good. You might wish to set your front speakers to "small" afterwards though and manually set your crossovers - as Brian has mentioned. Even if your fronts are large, full range speakers, it's worth setting them to "small" and setting the crossover at least 10 to 20db higher than their lowest frequency.

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2801 Old 09-19-2018, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
Anyone using a Sammy Q9fn with this? Any issues with it? What's your set up like? My tv comes tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should run everything through the receiver or directly through the one connect
There are a few factors to be considered:
1. use the setup that allows control of the all the devices with the fewest number of remotes
2. if can you tell the difference between lossy and lossless audio then the devices should be connected to the AVR
3. if you have an Atmos setup then the devices should be connected to the AVR
post #1983 of 2801 Old 09-19-2018, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
There are a few factors to be considered:
1. use the setup that allows control of the all the devices with the fewest number of remotes
2. if can you tell the difference between lossy and lossless audio then the devices should be connected to the AVR
3. if you have an Atmos setup then the devices should be connected to the AVR
Yeah the only thing I'm concerned with is any kind of video issues..... And CEC of course....I have all Sony equipment and it all seems to play nice.... I'm worried that Sammy is going to wreak havoc....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 2801 Old 09-19-2018, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all new to the forums here and have a few questions.

I currently have a sony 900E tv and sony STR-DN180 receiver.

My devices:
PS4
Xbox one X

My xbox is hooked up to the STR-dn180 but its not passing through full 4k HDR. When I go into settings on my xbox it has errors listed under the 4k display section. If i plug my xbox directly to the TV i have all green check marks.

Does anyone out there have the same setup as me or possibly help me figure out my problem?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	812.1 KB
ID:	2457072  
post #1985 of 2801 Old 09-19-2018, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2smooth4u View Post
Hi all new to the forums here and have a few questions.

I currently have a sony 900E tv and sony STR-DN180 receiver.

My devices:
PS4
Xbox one X

My xbox is hooked up to the STR-dn180 but its not passing through full 4k HDR. When I go into settings on my xbox it has errors listed under the 4k display section. If i plug my xbox directly to the TV i have all green check marks.

Does anyone out there have the same setup as me or possibly help me figure out my problem?

Thanks!
Do you have the HDMI port on the Sony set to enhanced? Also the HDMI settings on the receiver need to be turned on for that as well I believe

post #1986 of 2801 Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Do you have the HDMI port on the Sony set to enhanced? Also the HDMI settings on the receiver need to be turned on for that as well I believe

I will check those out thanks!
post #1987 of 2801 Old 09-22-2018, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I'll introduce first - i'm Joe, uk based and a new owner of a Sony STR DN1080 . My current set up is small but i'm looking to expand towards 7.1, currently 2 Bose 301, Sony 1080, Sky Q box, SamsungUE65KU6680, Harmony Hub (not fully integrated yet) and Alexa. I'll be adding in 4 Bose 161 (yes i'm a Bose fan, though am a little concerned on the power rating on the 161 possibly a little low at 50W rated for amps 10-100W) as side and rear, a Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer and i'm looking at the Cambridge Audio SX70 as a centre. The most use will be for TV and Film, some gaming and music listening.

I am generally happy so far with the purchase, I moved from an old NAD Amp to this - something to handle newer technologies a bit better and capable of more than just a 2.0 set up. My issues are really only rehashing what I have read so far on the thread - having the TV out with ARC causes the amp to constantly jump back to the home page - i've read a fair few posts here but haven't seen a resolution yet? did I miss it or are we still waiting on one? Sound Quality is great (even with my awful set up at the moment - will be changing it soon) and the set up was pretty simple to just get it running - I have decided to wait till I have more speakers in the system to really start messing properly and with the impending room reorganisation...

Im pretty new to all of this so i'm also kind of here for a little help as I go along in building the system

Looking forward to getting it all together. And thanks for listening .
post #1988 of 2801 Old 09-22-2018, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMere View Post
Hi all,

I'll introduce first - i'm Joe, uk based and a new owner of a Sony STR DN1080 . My current set up is small but i'm looking to expand towards 7.1, currently 2 Bose 301, Sony 1080, Sky Q box, SamsungUE65KU6680, Harmony Hub (not fully integrated yet) and Alexa. I'll be adding in 4 Bose 161 (yes i'm a Bose fan, though am a little concerned on the power rating on the 161 possibly a little low at 50W rated for amps 10-100W) as side and rear, a Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer and i'm looking at the Cambridge Audio SX70 as a centre. The most use will be for TV and Film, some gaming and music listening.

I am generally happy so far with the purchase, I moved from an old NAD Amp to this - something to handle newer technologies a bit better and capable of more than just a 2.0 set up. My issues are really only rehashing what I have read so far on the thread - having the TV out with ARC causes the amp to constantly jump back to the home page - i've read a fair few posts here but haven't seen a resolution yet? did I miss it or are we still waiting on one? Sound Quality is great (even with my awful set up at the moment - will be changing it soon) and the set up was pretty simple to just get it running - I have decided to wait till I have more speakers in the system to really start messing properly and with the impending room reorganisation...

Im pretty new to all of this so i'm also kind of here for a little help as I go along in building the system

Looking forward to getting it all together. And thanks for listening .
No real resolution for the Home screen situation. I pretty much just turn off ARC as all of my devices pass-through my receiver anyway. You can do some signal delay trickery using your Harmony remote, but it's not really that consistent
post #1989 of 2801 Old 09-22-2018, 02:08 PM

Dolby Atmos question for y'all: if you have your receiver set to Dolby Surround and you're playing a Dolby Atmos movie, does the Dolby Surround sound setting override the Atmos feed? Or does the Atmos feed take over and Dolby Surround is basically inactive since you're already getting Atmos?

Thanks
post #1990 of 2801 Old 09-22-2018, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good evening,
I will soon receive this Sony AVR and I am preparing for the installation of the speakers. I have the option to install a 5.1.2 system in my living room. I have two Monitor Audio speakers in main front (L / R) and, to start, a Yamaha 5.1 kit for the rest. I intend to install 2 of the 4 speakers of the kit for an Atmos configuration.

I am undecided about where to install these two high speakers. In High Front configuration? Or rather at the back in height?

I want to ask you these questions:

1) Where do you recommend installing these two high speakers for better Dolby Atmos (and DTS: X) rendering?

2) Knowing that in DTS: X and Neural X to have sound in these speakers Atmos must be in configuration High Frontal, how did you set yours? In HF even if it is not installed phisically like that?

3) For those who are Atmos speakers by ceiling reflection, how do you get to have the sound in height with DTS: X and Neural X? Did you just give up the DTS: X with high sound?

4) If I decide to install them in FH, will I have a good rendering in Dolby Atmos?

I thank you for the time you will spend responding to me.
(Sorry, Google Translate :RÉ)
post #1991 of 2801 Old 09-22-2018, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello. Is Sony STR-DN1080 can be used without center speaker in 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos config? Can it mix center channel sound to front speakers if center speaker not present? Thank you.
post #1992 of 2801 Old 09-22-2018, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elick View Post
Hello. Is Sony STR-DN1080 can be used without center speaker in 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos config? Can it mix center channel sound to front speakers if center speaker not present? Thank you.
Hi you can very well use it in 4.1.2 configuration without the centre speaker.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #1993 of 2801 Old 09-22-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer711 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMere View Post
Hi all,

I'll introduce first - i'm Joe, uk based and a new owner of a Sony STR DN1080 [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]. My current set up is small but i'm looking to expand towards 7.1, currently 2 Bose 301, Sony 1080, Sky Q box, SamsungUE65KU6680, Harmony Hub (not fully integrated yet) and Alexa. I'll be adding in 4 Bose 161 (yes i'm a Bose fan, though am a little concerned on the power rating on the 161 possibly a little low at 50W rated for amps 10-100W) as side and rear, a Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer and i'm looking at the Cambridge Audio SX70 as a centre. The most use will be for TV and Film, some gaming and music listening.

Im pretty new to all of this so i'm also kind of here for a little help as I go along in building the system [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Looking forward to getting it all together. And thanks for listening [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG].
No real resolution for the Home screen situation. I pretty much just turn off ARC as all of my devices pass-through my receiver anyway. You can do some signal delay trickery using your Harmony remote, but it's not really that consistent
I have NEVER had the home screen problem. I don't use ARC or HDMI CEC and have my Logitech Harmony remote set up to put the AVR onto the correct input.

-
Xbox One S
post #1994 of 2801 Old 09-23-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post
I have NEVER had the home screen problem. I don't use ARC or HDMI CEC and have my Logitech Harmony remote set up to put the AVR onto the correct input.
Well of course, you don't use ARC or HDMI CEC. The Home screen problem only exists when those are enabled
post #1995 of 2801 Old 09-23-2018, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Dolby Atmos question for y'all: if you have your receiver set to Dolby Surround and you're playing a Dolby Atmos movie, does the Dolby Surround sound setting override the Atmos feed? Or does the Atmos feed take over and Dolby Surround is basically inactive since you're already getting Atmos?

Thanks

Same question from me!
Anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1996 of 2801 Old 09-23-2018, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guddal View Post
Same question from me!
Anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pretty sure as long as you have an Atmos config it will be active when you have content....I would consider Atmos to be Dolby Surround with height channels

post #1997 of 2801 Old 09-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Pretty sure as long as you have an Atmos config it will be active when you have content....I would consider Atmos to be Dolby Surround with height channels

doesn't quite answer my question.

the question is, when you have Dolby Surround as a sound setting, when you're playing something with Dolby Atmos, does the Dolby Atmos sound override the Dolby Surround matrix? Or does Dolby Surround apply it's matrix upmixing to the Atmos sound?
post #1998 of 2801 Old 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post
Well of course, you don't use ARC or HDMI CEC. The Home screen problem only exists when those are enabled
There's the solution then. 🙂

If you need those features and have the issue, then I suggest contacting Sony technical support. They can't release firmware fixes that address certain issues unless they know what's going on (and possibly what your devices are, and what settings you use).

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

-
Xbox One S
post #1999 of 2801 Old 09-26-2018, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Has anyone gotten the Dolby Vision passthrough feature to work with an Xbox One X and a Sony ZA810ES / DN1080?

Can anyone comment on what DV players have been confirmed to work with this receiver?

I have a B6 OLED and I'm still trying to figure out how to get Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos to play nicely with my 810ES.
post #2000 of 2801 Old 09-26-2018, 10:13 AM

While playing movies when the reciever says pcm what does it mean?

post #2001 of 2801 Old 09-26-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Lakshay View Post
While playing movies when the reciever says pcm what does it mean?

Uncompressed audio.....

post #2002 of 2801 Old 09-26-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Uncompressed audio.....

OK. Thanks. But how do I make it to Dolby digital or atmos?
Because the file I was playing was atmos movie.

post #2003 of 2801 Old 09-26-2018, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK. Thanks. But how do I make it to Dolby digital or atmos?
Because the file I was playing was atmos movie.

What's the source? Pretty sure you can only play 7.1 via PCM not Atmos

post #2004 of 2801 Old 09-26-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
What's the source? Pretty sure you can only play 7.1 via PCM not Atmos

I was playing using a laptop as source.

post #2005 of 2801 Old 09-26-2018, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was playing using a laptop as source.

Ok. Your sure the audio codec is Atmos? Also the media player on the laptop.... Does it have options to be switch the audio from PCM to something else?

post #2006 of 2801 Old 09-26-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
the question is, when you have Dolby Surround as a sound setting, when you're playing something with Dolby Atmos, does the Dolby Atmos sound override the Dolby Surround matrix? Or does Dolby Surround apply it's matrix upmixing to the Atmos sound?
Dolby Atmos will override the default setting. Even if you try to change the SF it will switch back to DA.
post #2007 of 2801 Old 09-27-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeking View Post
Has anyone gotten the Dolby Vision passthrough feature to work with an Xbox One X and a Sony ZA810ES / DN1080?

Can anyone comment on what DV players have been confirmed to work with this receiver?

I have a B6 OLED and I'm still trying to figure out how to get Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos to play nicely with my 810ES.
I have a Sony X700 UHD player and plays Dolby Vision without any problems.

LG 55C7 - Panasonic UB300 - Onkyo TX-656 - PS4 Pro - Sky Q - Monitor Audio MASS 5.1 Speakers
post #2008 of 2801 Old 09-27-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Ok. Your sure the audio codec is Atmos? Also the media player on the laptop.... Does it have options to be switch the audio from PCM to something else?

The audio in media player (Kodi) said it is atmos

post #2009 of 2801 Old 09-27-2018, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The audio in media player (Kodi) said it is atmos

Ah...Kodi......I never could consistently get audio to play correctly through Kodi. Usually compressed formats are used to keep file sizes down

Dr.Lakshay likes this.
post #2010 of 2801 Old 09-27-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Thanks after your suggestion and poking around more on my tv settings I got everything to work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	2460996  
Brian_Barros likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page