Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2206Likes

post #2011 of 2729 Old 09-27-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2smooth4u View Post
Thanks after your suggestion and poking around more on my tv settings I got everything to work!
Tv settings suck.... Throw in an AVR and it doubles

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
s2smooth4u likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2729 Old 09-28-2018, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone using Klipsch speakers with this AVR? I'm getting Reference premier fronts and Center channel. Curious how you like it

post #2013 of 2729 Old 09-28-2018, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
Anyone using Klipsch speakers with this AVR? I'm getting Reference premier fronts and Center channel. Curious how you like it
Literally set it up today. Haven't had time to setup the rears (RP-240S) and the sub is (R-115SW) not delivered yet, but I have RP-280F fronts and the RP-450C center in a 3.0 config and it's awesome. The clarity is mesmerizing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 2729 Old 09-28-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickard Olsson View Post
Literally set it up today. Haven't had time to setup the rears (RP-240S) and the sub is (R-115SW) not delivered yet, but I have RP-280F fronts and the RP-450C center in a 3.0 config and it's awesome. The clarity is mesmerizing.
That's good to hear....I just ordered the newer revision of those speakers... I'm excited

post #2015 of 2729 Old 09-28-2018, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Moracchini View Post
Hi I ve been watching Netflix on the xbox and when I watch an atmosphere movie the receiver says Dolby Atmos linear PCM. I thought Atmos was only available on DD+ or Dolby True HD. Does anyone know more about this?
I recently bought an Xbox One S, installed and configured the Dolby app, and then noticed this. The display on the AVR says "Dolby Atmos - Linear PCM" and then it says "DAtmos".

I'm used to seeing "DAtmos" but not "Dolby Atmos - Linear PCM". The Xbox is set to Bitstream Dolby Atmos, so everything output by the Xbox is Dolby Atmos regardless of the content.

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S
post #2016 of 2729 Old 09-29-2018, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Don't know if anyone will be able to help me with this problem but it's worth a shot.

I'm trying to connect my PC to my Sony KD55XE9005 to game at 4K HDR for Forza Horizon 4. The problem I have is that the only way I can get my PC to output to 4K is to connect to the TV directly. So far so good. I'm able to get a 4K HDR signal, the problem is audio is restricted to stereo only. Everytime I've tried connecting my PC to my STR DN1080 my PC can only detect a 1080p signal.

Is there any way I can have my cake and eat it and get both 4K HDR and 5.1 surround sound or am I goosed?
post #2017 of 2729 Old 09-29-2018, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Malin View Post
I have a Sony X700 UHD player and plays Dolby Vision without any problems.
Thanks, I managed to get it working with the Apple TV 4K as well.

New question:
Does anyone know how to get an OSD (on-screen display) showing the resolution and frame rate that the receiver is seeing on any of its inputs?
post #2018 of 2729 Old 09-29-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't think it's possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by animeking View Post
Thanks, I managed to get it working with the Apple TV 4K as well.

New question:
Does anyone know how to get an OSD (on-screen display) showing the resolution and frame rate that the receiver is seeing on any of its inputs?
post #2019 of 2729 Old 09-29-2018, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Is there any way for the receiver to just passthrough 1080p content as 1080p, instead of upscaling to 4K?
post #2020 of 2729 Old 09-29-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeking View Post
Is there any way for the receiver to just passthrough 1080p content as 1080p, instead of upscaling to 4K?
Yes just turn off the upscaling feature

post #2021 of 2729 Old 09-29-2018, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer711 View Post
No real resolution for the Home screen situation. I pretty much just turn off ARC as all of my devices pass-through my receiver anyway. You can do some signal delay trickery using your Harmony remote, but it's not really that consistent
Maybe more of a workaround than a solution, but when this happens to me I hit "play" on my disk player and after a few seconds the AVR switches from the home screen to the player. So I think what's happening is the peripherals are sending out their "hey I'm here" CEC signal before the AVR is ready for it, so then the AVR doesn't know which device you want and sends you to the home screen. At least for me, this only happens when I want to play a component that's attached to the AVR - my Roku is attached to the TV so I have no problem with home screen and that - only when I want to play a disk. Hitting "play" (or maybe even "enter") on the disk player sends that signal to the AVR again so it now knows what to switch to.

Yeah, a bit of a pain and delay but at least it works for me. But it didn't do this when I first got it.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #2022 of 2729 Old 09-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Really disappointed with the input lag on this AVR. I can't put my Xbox one through it, as it adds about 100ms of lag. If I put the Xbox one directly to the TV, and pass through audio to the AVR the video won't lag but ofcourse the audio is 100ms behind so lips are out of sync on video content like Netflix. (also audio is behind for games which is distracting).
If I feed the AVR directly from the Xbox, the audio and video are in perfect sync, but the 100ms lag is noticeable in games.

It's got the point that I must use the TV speakers when gaming, this AVR is not for gamers. Yes, I've tried pure direct, no noticable difference.
post #2023 of 2729 Old 09-30-2018, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post
Really disappointed with the input lag on this AVR. I can't put my Xbox one through it, as it adds about 100ms of lag. If I put the Xbox one directly to the TV, and pass through audio to the AVR the video won't lag but ofcourse the audio is 100ms behind so lips are out of sync on video content like Netflix. (also audio is behind for games which is distracting).
If I feed the AVR directly from the Xbox, the audio and video are in perfect sync, but the 100ms lag is noticeable in games.

It's got the point that I must use the TV speakers when gaming, this AVR is not for gamers. Yes, I've tried pure direct, no noticable difference.
I don't have any input lag with mine.

Rodney Nicotine likes this.
post #2024 of 2729 Old 09-30-2018, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
Dolby Atmos will override the default setting. Even if you try to change the SF it will switch back to DA.
How do you know it's actually overriding? The sound field setting still stays active regardless of what the source is.
post #2025 of 2729 Old 09-30-2018, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I don't have any input lag with mine.

Yeah, I don't either. Weird. I'm really sensitive to it, and I have an Xbox One X going through the Sony to my LG OLED. It seems fine - there is some delay from the picture modes in the TV, but when I put the TV in game mode there is no perceptible delay. 100ms is a LOT - it would feel like the game responds well after you push a button.
Rodney Nicotine likes this.
post #2026 of 2729 Old 09-30-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevleviathan View Post
Yeah, I don't either. Weird. I'm really sensitive to it, and I have an Xbox One X going through the Sony to my LG OLED. It seems fine - there is some delay from the picture modes in the TV, but when I put the TV in game mode there is no perceptible delay. 100ms is a LOT - it would feel like the game responds well after you push a button.
Agreed...I would check the HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV

post #2027 of 2729 Old 10-01-2018, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

No Lag on my system either.
post #2028 of 2729 Old 10-01-2018, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, after experimenting. I found the input lag, it is on the optical input to the Sony AVR. HDMI the lag is not noticeable, I had made an incorrect assessment of the symptoms.

The lag on the optical input is extreme, atleast 100ms. Like if you move the cursor around the home screen the blip sound is so far behind the motion. Or watch some TV video, the lips are out of sync.

I normally do not run a games console through an AVR for fear of additional input lag on the video (it probably adds a 16ms frame of lag if I could detect it). The problem is if I feed audio to the AVR separately it will lag behind the video.

I tried the optical output on the xbox and the optical output on my TV, to rule out the source. both have the same symptom, the optical input on the AVR has massive lag.
post #2029 of 2729 Old 10-01-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, after experimenting. I found the input lag, it is on the optical input to the Sony AVR. HDMI the lag is not noticeable, I had made an incorrect assessment of the symptoms.

The lag on the optical input is extreme, atleast 100ms. Like if you move the cursor around the home screen the blip sound is so far behind the motion. Or watch some TV video, the lips are out of sync.

I normally do not run a games console through an AVR for fear of additional input lag on the video (it probably adds a 16ms frame of lag if I could detect it). The problem is if I feed audio to the AVR separately it will lag behind the video.

I tried the optical output on the xbox and the optical output on my TV, to rule out the source. both have the same symptom, the optical input on the AVR has massive lag.
Then you should use ARC. I used it for a long time with no issues.... Now I run my ps4pro through the AVR with no issues

post #2030 of 2729 Old 10-01-2018, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

On a completely separate issue. Anyone try Atmos to this Sony AVR from an Xbox One. If the source is dead silent, like the xbox home screen, the AVR does not play first few milliseconds of a new sound source.

Start moving the cursor around the home screen, the blip sounds will be truncated at the start, you'll only hear the tail end of the blip sound. It's as if the AVR is muted until the audio stream starts, but it misses the first part of the blip sound. If you play music or something in the xbox background, then the cursor sound is full. Or if you rapidly move the cursor, the blip sounds are full (except the very first one). It's less noticeable in games because there is usually some sort of constant sound. but if the audio stream is silent, the first sound will be partly truncated at the start. I've noticed the footsteps on pubg will suffer this issue, or any kind of menu cursor sound. basically any quick sound amongst a silent background.

Dolby Digital, DTS, or PCM sound don't suffer the problem. Atmos is the only issue, it's annoying enough to avoid Atmos.
post #2031 of 2729 Old 10-01-2018, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalWorld View Post
Don't know if anyone will be able to help me with this problem but it's worth a shot.

I'm trying to connect my PC to my Sony KD55XE9005 to game at 4K HDR for Forza Horizon 4. The problem I have is that the only way I can get my PC to output to 4K is to connect to the TV directly. So far so good. I'm able to get a 4K HDR signal, the problem is audio is restricted to stereo only. Everytime I've tried connecting my PC to my STR DN1080 my PC can only detect a 1080p signal.

Is there any way I can have my cake and eat it and get both 4K HDR and 5.1 surround sound or am I goosed?
Yes, I have my tv connected to my PC through the dn1080 and I'm able to display [email protected] 4:4:4 or [email protected] 4:2:0 with HDR.

Also I get surround sound because it's connected to the receiver.

Make sure you're not using dn1080's HDMI 1 to connect your PC as it has limited bandwidth.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
post #2032 of 2729 Old 10-01-2018, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Then you should use ARC. I used it for a long time with no issues.... Now I run my ps4pro through the AVR with no issues

Wish I could, but my TV does not have ARC.

It's too bad about the lag on the optical port. My old STRDG820 AVR does not have this lag under the exact same setup. Alas, its amplifier block is blown and only gets about 10% power.

For now I'm running off my TV speakers. I really do want to use my new AVR, but not for video.
post #2033 of 2729 Old 10-01-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
On a completely separate issue. Anyone try Atmos to this Sony AVR from an Xbox One. If the source is dead silent, like the xbox home screen, the AVR does not play first few milliseconds of a new sound source.

Start moving the cursor around the home screen, the blip sounds will be truncated at the start, you'll only hear the tail end of the blip sound. It's as if the AVR is muted until the audio stream starts, but it misses the first part of the blip sound. If you play music or something in the xbox background, then the cursor sound is full. Or if you rapidly move the cursor, the blip sounds are full (except the very first one). It's less noticeable in games because there is usually some sort of constant sound. but if the audio stream is silent, the first sound will be partly truncated at the start. I've noticed the footsteps on pubg will suffer this issue, or any kind of menu cursor sound. basically any quick sound amongst a silent background.

Dolby Digital, DTS, or PCM sound don't suffer the problem. Atmos is the only issue, it's annoying enough to avoid Atmos.
I bought an Xbox One S recently. I installed the Dolby app and set the output to bitstream Dolby Atmos. The Xbox now outputs Dolby Atmos constantly now, regardless of the source. I can't say I've noticed your issue, but have noticed the old crackle/glitch in some places.

My suggestion is to install the Xbox Insider Hub app and report the problems directly to Microsoft from within the Xbox. When reporting, select the Dolby app (you'll probably understand what I mean if you try it). No screenshot or video needed to report it, although you could open your System audio settings for a screenshot.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

-
Xbox One S
post #2034 of 2729 Old 10-01-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2smooth4u View Post
Quote:

No Lag on my system either.
I haven't noticed any lag. Xbox One S has been plugged into Game port. I think I have Enhanced enabled for the HDMI port although I probably don't need it.

I haven't noticed input lag on my optical input for a long time. When I first got the AVR both HDMI ARC and optical would go terribly out of sync. Especially when using inbuilt Netflix app in my tv. I'm not sure if resetting my AVR's settings fixed it or a software update, but for general DVB-T tv watching I don't notice lag.

The AVR does get terribly confused if HDMI ARC and optical are connected at the same time! Yikes! I ended up using a different HDMI input on my TV (a non HDMI ARC port) and sticking with optical since the TV outputs only Dolby 5.1 and PCM.

-
Xbox One S
post #2035 of 2729 Old 10-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post
I bought an Xbox One S recently. I installed the Dolby app and set the output to bitstream Dolby Atmos. The Xbox now outputs Dolby Atmos constantly now, regardless of the source. I can't say I've noticed your issue, but have noticed the old crackle/glitch in some places.

My suggestion is to install the Xbox Insider Hub app and report the problems directly to Microsoft from within the Xbox. When reporting, select the Dolby app (you'll probably understand what I mean if you try it). No screenshot or video needed to report it, although you could open your System audio settings for a screenshot.

I don't think the issue is the Xbox at all. The AVR is simply too slow to lock onto the audio stream, it misses a chunk out of the blip sound.
post #2036 of 2729 Old 10-01-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think the issue is the Xbox at all. The AVR is simply too slow to lock onto the audio stream, it misses a chunk out of the blip sound.
As far as I can tell, the Xbox is sending out a constant Dolby Atmos signal at all times, even when silent. Otherwise the AVR's display would show "DAtmos" every time a sound is played after there being silence, i.e. it would show it as a new stream.

-
Xbox One S
post #2037 of 2729 Old 10-01-2018, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Got My receiver and gonna hook it up today. So HDMI Video 1 is not full bandwidth correct?
post #2038 of 2729 Old 10-02-2018, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As far as I can tell, the Xbox is sending out a constant Dolby Atmos signal at all times, even when silent. Otherwise the AVR's display would show "DAtmos" every time a sound is played after there being silence, i.e. it would show it as a new stream.

Good observation.
post #2039 of 2729 Old 10-02-2018, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed on page 34 of the manual:
"The BD/DVD and SA-CD/CD inputs have better sound quality. When you need a higher sound quality, connect your device to these HDMI IN jacks and select them as the input."

What does that mean? The GAME input, or SAT input have a lesser quality? Is it because they are treated differently in the digital decoder, DAC, or analog stage? Seems odd to have HDMI inputs that support lossless sound, atmos etc but they are not "high quality".

Whats the point in having like 7 HDMI inputs if only 2 are "high quality"?
post #2040 of 2729 Old 10-02-2018, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I noticed on page 34 of the manual:
"The BD/DVD and SA-CD/CD inputs have better sound quality. When you need a higher sound quality, connect your device to these HDMI IN jacks and select them as the input."

What does that mean? The GAME input, or SAT input have a lesser quality? Is it because they are treated differently in the digital decoder, DAC, or analog stage? Seems odd to have HDMI inputs that support lossless sound, atmos etc but they are not "high quality".

Whats the point in having like 7 HDMI inputs if only 2 are "high quality"?
I think if you need a hi res connection you use those......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page