Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2206Likes

post #2071 of 2731 Old 10-09-2018, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
There is no simple solution, but there are some options:
1. Turn CEC off on all devices except the TV and AVR, assuming that you want to use ARC from the TV. You likely then have to juggle multiple remotes to control all the different devices.
2. Get a Harmony universal remote that is capable to controlling all your devices. With custom sequences applied to each Activity (control of a specific device combination) you will be able to work around the Home screen issue. This is an expensive solution, but has the benefit of eliminating all your other remotes.
For those using a Harmony (which I’ve thought about getting for a while) does it allow a power on activity to turn on the TV and AVR and actually prevent the home screen from coming up, or maybe the programming is just sending another command at the end to ensure it switches to the correct source?

I don’t care as much about ARC as CEC, I don’t generally use TV apps, and instead use the same apps on my Xbox, but ARC seems like the easiest way to use my DirecTV remote to control receiver volume. Maybe there’s a better way, just have always used ARC for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2731 Old 10-09-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
No the Dynamic Volume does not work like the similarly names function in the Denon.

I have not experienced the huge volume variance issue with my Sony, There is no power on volume level feature on the Sony. My streaming music level is usually 15 with a few tracks needing it bumped up by 2 or 3. TV show level is typically 20, and some movies require it to be 25. I am in an apartment to the levels are low. If this was a house and I was alone these would be increased by +10.
What I’m seeing currently is let’s say I have the receiver volume at 15 for a show on one channel and it’s at the appropriate level, changing to a different channel will still have volume at 15, but it plays as if it’s at 30+.

I just had the issue yesterday where the kids were watching something on Nickelodeon, and then my wife changed the channel to NatGeo and it was so loud everyone is covering their ears while I try to scramble and grab a remote to turn it down. Curious, I tested and found that I had to turn Nickelodeon up from 17 to about 35-40 to have the same level of loudness.... I didn’t dare turn it back to NatGeo to see what would happen.
post #2073 of 2731 Old 10-09-2018, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marll View Post
What I’m seeing currently is let’s say I have the receiver volume at 15 for a show on one channel and it’s at the appropriate level, changing to a different channel will still have volume at 15, but it plays as if it’s at 30+.

I just had the issue yesterday where the kids were watching something on Nickelodeon, and then my wife changed the channel to NatGeo and it was so loud everyone is covering their ears while I try to scramble and grab a remote to turn it down. Curious, I tested and found that I had to turn Nickelodeon up from 17 to about 35-40 to have the same level of loudness.... I didn’t dare turn it back to NatGeo to see what would happen.
Sounds like the problem is the TV (or cable box)? I don't seem to have this issue, especially when just changing TV channels on the same component. I can't see how this is an AVR problem.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2731 Old 10-09-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post

Sounds like the problem is the TV (or cable box)? I don't seem to have this issue, especially when just changing TV channels on the same component. I can't see how this is an AVR problem.
Seems like it wouldn’t be, but the AVR was the only component that changed originally when this cropped up. Pulled out the Denon, plugged everything into the Sony exactly the same way. Only difference at all was that I added banana plugs to the speaker wires where before they were just bare wire using the screw terminals.

The DirecTV HDMI out goes into the Xbox One X HDMI in port, and the Xbox One X HDMI out is into the AVR’s SAT/CBL port. I then have the AVR’s HDMI out running to the TV on the HDMI port that supports ARC (pretty much only to control receiver volume from the DirecTV remote). This is the exact same setup I had before and all worked normally with the Denon and my Samsung TV (channel variations were tolerable, and never this extreme). I’ve since also replaced the TV with an LG OLED B8, and the issue persists.

I could be wrong, but in this setup the AVR is the one processing and outputting all the sound to the speakers, and then video/audio to the TV, though I’ve turned off the TV speakers so audio to the TV is moot,

I’m open to any ideas and suggestions since I’m at a bit of a loss currently and just don’t want to blasted out of my seat when I change channels.
post #2075 of 2731 Old 10-09-2018, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Currently updating at the moment, anyone know what this is about?
Rodney Nicotine likes this.
post #2076 of 2731 Old 10-10-2018, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by animeking View Post
A new update? What's the build number?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #2077 of 2731 Old 10-10-2018, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just checked the website....we just got eARC support!!!!!!

post #2078 of 2731 Old 10-10-2018, 05:28 AM

That is an unexpected bonus!

Makes me really want to get an A9F with eARC now.
post #2079 of 2731 Old 10-10-2018, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is an unexpected bonus!
Seriously. They also updated the 810es. Which I guess they are pretty similar

post #2080 of 2731 Old 10-10-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
Seriously. They also updated the 810es. Which I guess they are pretty similar

I'm an 810 owner, it's pretty much identical with a detachable power cord I think and some extra shiny bits.

When I was a Yamaha owner, instead of the RX-V or the TSR lines, I had an RX-A Aventage receiver, also identical with a bit more trim and an extra plastic foot.

Something about the extra shinyness always gets me.

I don't know why they don't merge the owner's thread of these two models together.
post #2081 of 2731 Old 10-10-2018, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
For those using a Harmony (which I’ve thought about getting for a while) does it allow a power on activity to turn on the TV and AVR and actually prevent the home screen from coming up, or maybe the programming is just sending another command at the end to ensure it switches to the correct source?

I don’t care as much about ARC as CEC, I don’t generally use TV apps, and instead use the same apps on my Xbox, but ARC seems like the easiest way to use my DirecTV remote to control receiver volume. Maybe there’s a better way, just have always used ARC for that.
- When Watch Netflix activity is selected (only uses the TV and AVR) I never see the Home screen.
- When Watch Bluray activity is selected (uses the TV, AVR, and older Bluray player) the Home screen shows infrequently. CEC is turned off in the Bluray player.
- When Watch Streamer is selected (uses the TV, AVR, and video streamer) the Home screen always shows, but I have additional commands added to wait a few seconds and then select the streamer input.

If a switch source command is missed the Harmony Help button corrects everything.
post #2082 of 2731 Old 10-10-2018, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
I just checked the website....we just got eARC support!!!!!!

You guys think that Sony will update last year's TVs to support eArc?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
post #2083 of 2731 Old 10-10-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowekim View Post
You guys think that Sony will update last year's TVs to support eArc?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised

post #2084 of 2731 Old 10-10-2018, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Updated. Attempted via WiFi many times, stuck at 0%, and failed. It seems that in update mode 5ghz WiFi doesn't work, so updated via USB.

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S
post #2085 of 2731 Old 10-10-2018, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Seems like it wouldn’t be, but the AVR was the only component that changed originally when this cropped up. Pulled out the Denon, plugged everything into the Sony exactly the same way. Only difference at all was that I added banana plugs to the speaker wires where before they were just bare wire using the screw terminals.

The DirecTV HDMI out goes into the Xbox One X HDMI in port, and the Xbox One X HDMI out is into the AVR’s SAT/CBL port. I then have the AVR’s HDMI out running to the TV on the HDMI port that supports ARC (pretty much only to control receiver volume from the DirecTV remote). This is the exact same setup I had before and all worked normally with the Denon and my Samsung TV (channel variations were tolerable, and never this extreme). I’ve since also replaced the TV with an LG OLED B8, and the issue persists.

I could be wrong, but in this setup the AVR is the one processing and outputting all the sound to the speakers, and then video/audio to the TV, though I’ve turned off the TV speakers so audio to the TV is moot,

I’m open to any ideas and suggestions since I’m at a bit of a loss currently and just don’t want to blasted out of my seat when I change channels.
Did your Denon have an auto-leveling feature? I don't think this Sony does. I know it looks like the AVR is at fault, but if the only thing changing is the channels on your source DirecTV box, all the AVR sees is the audio signal that it then amplifies. Your DirecTV box is probably sending a stronger audio signal on some channels, and the AVR is blindly amplifying them the same amount. I know that some channels are louder than others (I had DirecTV boxes attached directly to several TV's before cutting the cord).

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #2086 of 2731 Old 10-11-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Hey guy's. Did the update on my 1080 as well yesterday and what the heck is eARC? I know ARC is Audio Return Channel but what is the "e" supposed mean?
post #2087 of 2731 Old 10-11-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Hey guy's. Did the update on my 1080 as well yesterday and what the heck is eARC? I know ARC is Audio Return Channel but what is the "e" supposed mean?
Enhanced ARC......tv needs to be compatible. Arc only allows DD or DTS.....EARC offers Atmos True HD ect and others

steve1971 and Rodney Nicotine like this.
post #2088 of 2731 Old 10-11-2018, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Enhanced ARC......tv needs to be compatible. Arc only allows DD or DTS.....EARC offers Atmos True HD ect and others

Ahhh ok got it. Thanks Brian.
post #2089 of 2731 Old 10-11-2018, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
I use a Harmony Ultimate for all my media activities (Blu-ray, video games, NVIDIA Shield, DirecTV) and I never see the home screen unless I switch to the TV manually and bring up the home screen on my own (I don't use the TV apps for anything as the Shield works great for everything that isn't DirecTV, a Blu-ray or the PlayStation).

If you end up getting a Harmony I'd be happy to screenshot my hub steps for you but there's really not anything special you need to specify. You can see my list of components in my sig. All are controlled by the Harmony and all the original remotes are in a bag inside a drawer, I never use them.

~ MAX
Sony XBR-65Z9D 4K TV | Sony STR-DN1080 AVR | Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray | NVIDIA Shield TV | PlayStation 4 Pro | Harmony Ultimate
Pioneer Andrew Jones Design: SP-C22 Center Channel/4x SP-BS22A-LR Dolby Atmos Bookshelf/SW-8MK2 Subwoofer
post #2090 of 2731 Old 10-11-2018, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi there,
I got this AVR last week for video/music in my pool area @ 4.2 setup. My issue is with the built-in chromcast that doesn't show with youtube app. My other cast devices shows fine and everyone is connected on the same wifi. I have to cast to the tv and use arc to the receiver till find the solution why it doesn't work. Thanks

Main Room: Sonia 85" X900F, UBD X700, Xbox1S, Denon X6200W, Aircom T8.
Klipsch RP 7.2.2 Atmos RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-250S, RP-160M, Two R-112SW, CDT-5800-C II.
Bedroom: Samy 65" JS9500, UBD-K8500, Polk Sound bar.
Pool: Samy 55" JS8500, Sonia STRDN1080, Aircom S9.
Klipsch Outdoor: Four AW-650, Two R-120SW.
post #2091 of 2731 Old 10-11-2018, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Hi there,
I got this AVR last week for video/music in my pool area @ 4.2 setup. My issue is with the built-in chromcast that doesn't show with youtube app. My other cast devices shows fine and everyone is connected on the same wifi. I have to cast to the tv and use arc to the receiver till find the solution why it doesn't work. Thanks
The AVR has built-in chromecast audio, which doesn't support YouTube or video streaming.

Although if you use Google Home app you can cast your entire phone audio, including YouTube.
post #2092 of 2731 Old 10-11-2018, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR

Deleted

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers

Last edited by HD-Master; 10-11-2018 at 07:51 PM.
post #2093 of 2731 Old 10-11-2018, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
Deleted
Lpcm isn't going to get you any sound field.... You prob need to change the sound setting in the ATV to bitstream

post #2094 of 2731 Old 10-11-2018, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Lpcm isn't going to get you any sound field.... You prob need to change the sound setting in the ATV to bitstream
That is exactly what appleTV does - Atmos over LPCM multichannel. Something called Dolby MAT 2.0 at work here.
post #2095 of 2731 Old 10-12-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post
The AVR has built-in chromecast audio, which doesn't support YouTube or video streaming.

Although if you use Google Home app you can cast your entire phone audio, including YouTube.
oh, I didnt know was just for audio. I guess the best way for video streaming will be to buy the actual Chromcast ultra device which I do have one in my main setup inside and works perfectly. Thanks

Klipsch RP 7.2.2 Atmos RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-250S, RP-160M, Two R-112SW, CDT-5800-C II.
post #2096 of 2731 Old 10-12-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No, LPCM is fine. I get everything but Atmos (which I’m not setup for anyway) at full, uncompressed quality. The problem was that I had A.F.D. set as the default sound field in the input settings (I actually have an 1100ES, but’s thread is all but dead). So leaving the receiver settings and returning to video was triggering a new HDMI handshake and reverting to the default sound field.

I changed the default for that input to Neural:X instead of A.F.D. Now it uses Neural:X for 2.0/stereo sources and leaves anything 5.1 (since I have a 5.2 setup) and above as-is without applying a sound field. This is exactly what I wanted.

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
post #2097 of 2731 Old 10-12-2018, 11:58 AM

Why there is 2 sub output and only one level for db? I can't either put it .2 on any channel setup, just .1
I have 2 sub klipsch R-120SW and 4 speaker klipsch AW-650 I'm trying to get the best bass response for music. Should I use LFE position or set the knob at 80hz or let the receiver do the low pass filter which I can't find how to. All speakers are set to small @ 80hz

post #2098 of 2731 Old 10-12-2018, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why there is 2 sub output and only one level for db? I can't either put it .2 on any channel setup, just .1
I have 2 sub klipsch R-120SW and 4 speaker klipsch AW-650 I'm trying to get the best bass response for music. Should I use LFE position or set the knob at 80hz or let the receiver do the low pass filter which I can't find how to. All speakers are set to small @ 80hz
There's one sub input with a splitter. You can plug in 2 subs and get output from both but the receiver only sends one signal

yoandry likes this.
post #2099 of 2731 Old 10-12-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR

Quote:

You calibrate with one sub first and then match the other. There isn’t any .2 content. It’s simply sends two discrete .1 signals, one to each sub. Not really any different than a receiver with one sub input that you use a splitter for.

I use a meter app on my phone. Capture the dB output of subwoofer #1 from a set position, adjust subwoofer #2 to match that same level.

post #2100 of 2731 Old 10-12-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
You calibrate with one sub first and then match the other. There isn’t any .2 content. It’s simply sends two discrete .1 signals, one to each sub. Not really any different than a receiver with one sub input that you use a splitter for.

I use a meter app on my phone. Capture the dB output of subwoofer #1 from a set position, adjust subwoofer #2 to match that same level.
Got it. Im doing manual setup as I can't do the auto calibration with the mic. This is a 50ft long pool area with the set position been in the water lol. Speakers in line every 12ft.

Last edited by yoandry; 10-12-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page