Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2211Likes

post #2191 of 2880 Old 11-24-2018, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernd wagner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
Don't blame Sony, but rather the 4 ohm speakers. The AVR is overheating when trying to drive those speakers and the thermal protection is turning the AVR off to prevent damage.

This also happens with headphones, so I think there must be some other problem. Elsewise, everything seems to work fine, but when I just stream music via HDMI from the PC to the Receiver, the connection breaks down after a while. Every time.

When I watch movies with the TV on, the receiver does not have any issues with the 4-Ohm-Speakers.
Regardless, this system is not designed to support 4 ohm speakers.

"Connect speakers with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms to 16 ohms."
- https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn1...tml?search=Ohm
peptalk1 likes this.

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2880 Old 11-25-2018, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can STR-DN1080 output to Bluetooth and Speakers at the same time?

My system has inputs connected through HDMI and the TV is connected to the ARC. I have Dolby Atmos speaker setup. My problem is that I need to output to go to bluetooth and speakers at the same time but when I setup bluetooth to transmit is shuts down the speakers. Am I missing something or is this the way it is supposed to work?

The second question is: If this is the way it's supposed to work then is there a way through the service menu or some other way to make it possible?

The reason is that my wife has extreme hearing loss and the only way for her to hear is via her hearing aids which are bluetooth enabled.

Thanks!
post #2193 of 2880 Old 11-25-2018, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 104
It is designed like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Help Guide
No sound is output from the speakers or HDMI OUT jacks when BLUETOOTH receiver is successfully connected to this receiver.
Source: https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn1...001224847.html

Have not heard about any tweaks that could change this.
You might want to look into alternative ways, for example something connected to HDMI Zone output: https://www.amazon.com/Alead-TRX-HD-.../dp/B01N39XS6A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2194 of 2880 Old 11-26-2018, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi guys,
I have a Sony STR-DN 1080 as an AV receiver for a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system. The speakers I have are:
- Focal Chorus 816V rated at 200 watts and 8 ohms (front speakers)
- Focal CC 700 8 ohms 200 watts (center speaker)
- Focal Chorus 706 V 120w 8ohms (surround speakers)
- Focal SIB 75w 8ohms (on ceiling speakers)
- JBL XTI Sub 300 (subwoofer)
However, I think my receiver cannot output enough watts, power. From what I understand, it is essential to have enough watts to my speakers in order to have the best sound. I looked on google and found the solution of a power amplifier. However, I do not have any pre-out ports in my AV receiver. I therefore would like to ask you advices without changing my current AV receiver. I, where I live (Switzerland), only have overpriced receivers and the only one reasonably priced is the Sony. Please advise me to get the best sound possible out of my front speakers as they are expensive as hell .
Thank you,
post #2195 of 2880 Old 11-26-2018, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalyx View Post
Hi guys,
I have a Sony STR-DN 1080 as an AV receiver for a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system. The speakers I have are:
- Focal Chorus 816V rated at 200 watts and 8 ohms (front speakers)
- Focal CC 700 8 ohms 200 watts (center speaker)
- Focal Chorus 706 V 120w 8ohms (surround speakers)
- Focal SIB 75w 8ohms (on ceiling speakers)
- JBL XTI Sub 300 (subwoofer)
However, I think my receiver cannot output enough watts, power. From what I understand, it is essential to have enough watts to my speakers in order to have the best sound. I looked on google and found the solution of a power amplifier. However, I do not have any pre-out ports in my AV receiver. I therefore would like to ask you advices without changing my current AV receiver. I, where I live (Switzerland), only have overpriced receivers and the only one reasonably priced is the Sony. Please advise me to get the best sound possible out of my front speakers as they are expensive as hell .
Thank you,
Why do you think you need more power?
post #2196 of 2880 Old 11-26-2018, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
I used to have a Rotal receiver only for music, stereo and it was rated at 165 watts 8 ohms if I remember well.
The sound from the front speakers was better before than now. I feel it misses "power".
Is it the case?
post #2197 of 2880 Old 11-26-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalyx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
I used to have a Rotal receiver only for music, stereo and it was rated at 165 watts 8 ohms if I remember well.
The sound from the front speakers was better before than now. I feel it misses "power".
Is it the case?
If you're comparing a mid-range multichannel Sony AV Receiver with a higher-end brand stereo receiver/amplifier, you might be disappointed.

-
Xbox One S
post #2198 of 2880 Old 11-26-2018, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post
I have a Sony Avr 1080 - it constantly switches to TV input after I put on CATV

Switched in my Marantz 5011 same thing !!!!

Argh!!!

Any help ‘much appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post
? That’s where the cable box goes ?
Is the TV already on when you switch to the CATV box [presuming it's a cable tv "set top box" connected to the AVR via HDMI] ???

If so, try doing this with the TV already on.

?!? Or maybe!! Try turning HDMI-CEC off on the TV ! Good luck!!

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #2199 of 2880 Old 11-27-2018, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Maybe someone can help me with this problem.

I connected my PC via HDMI to the BD/DVD-HDMI-In on the receiver. When I watch a movie from my PC, everything is fine. But when I leave the TV off and only stream some music to the REceiver, the connectiuon breaks down after about 15 minutes and the receiver is not even recognised by the PC as an audio device any more. When I switch on the TV, the sound settings of the PC shows the receiver again. This is really annoying as I canniot listen to music for a longer time without having the TV running. I tried to switch off ARC, but that did not help. Does anyone have an idea what I could try? Thank you.
Within the AV settings, I saw a setting regarding allowing the AV to stay on when the TV is off.
By default the AV will turn itself off if there is no signal from the TV, or any other source.
You might have to see the power saving settings too.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #2200 of 2880 Old 11-27-2018, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Has anyone had this issue ?

Wife used the remote - now I have picture no sound ! Ugh grrrr

But if I goto home the pic goes to that screen and ... I get tv sound ...

Anyone ???

Maddening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #2201 of 2880 Old 11-27-2018, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
Within the AV settings, I saw a setting regarding allowing the AV to stay on when the TV is off.
By default the AV will turn itself off if there is no signal from the TV, or any other source.
You might have to see the power saving settings too.
Hi, thank you. This did not solve the issue, but for now I just black out the TV screen, so it does not consume too much energy while I listen too music.
post #2202 of 2880 Old 11-27-2018, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post

Regardless, it is. As it is sold in Europe, where about 70 % of all speakers are 4 Ohm, ;-)

And of course it can handle 4-Ohm-Speakers. I have no trouble at all powering my 4-Ohms with this Sony Amp.
post #2203 of 2880 Old 11-27-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post

Regardless, it is. As it is sold in Europe, where about 70 % of all speakers are 4 Ohm, 😉
Irrelevant.

Quote:
And of course it can handle 4-Ohm-Speakers. I have no trouble at all powering my 4-Ohms with this Sony Amp.
Your receiver, your risk.

-
Xbox One S
post #2204 of 2880 Old 11-27-2018, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Can someone explain to me in what "Standby through" is and should I be using it?
post #2205 of 2880 Old 11-27-2018, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello, I just got this receiver coming from a Pioneer VSX-LX101. So far I think the features and sound are great except for one problem.

On my old receiver I had it setup so PCM audio would output in DTS-X and all other audio would bitstream and upmix accordingly. Dolby Digital to Atmos, DTS to DTS-X for example. I'm trying to set this one up so by default it upmixes all PCM whether it is stereo or multichannel to DTS-X and everything else is it's native format upmixed with the height channels.

I've tried setting the default to AFD but that doesn't upmix PCM, and when I set it to DTSX-Neural that overrides that Atmos output. Is there something I'm missing?

I haven't done the auto calibration yet because I haven't had my house quiet enough to perform an accurate measurement, I know that opens up additional options like phantom channels but I'm not sure that it will give me what I'm looking for to upmix PCM automatically and keep everything else native. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for the help, have learned quite a bit reading through this so far.
post #2206 of 2880 Old 11-27-2018, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Nicotine View Post
Can someone explain to me in what "Standby through" is and should I be using it?
Standby through enables HDMI inputs to output to the TV still when the receiver is off or "standby". Here is more info from the manual. https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn1...ndby%20through
post #2207 of 2880 Old 11-28-2018, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey all, been a while since my last post. Since I have added a set of rear Monitor Audio Bronze FX to the system now comprising MA Bronze Centre, Bose 301, FX rears.

Im having a bit of a problem at the moment and I was wonedering if anyone else had come across it. We have a 1Tb Sky Q box connected to the AVR then to the tv (Samsung 65" curved) intermittently but persistenly when the system is turned on (always done via use of the sky remote only until switching the AVR back cause of the CEC ARC issue) the sky box will seem to just be dead, the only solution is to unplug the sky box and restart that way. After a restart everything works fine.

Im pretty sure the issue is with the sky box, but before we call them out and the tech points at the AVR and says "there is your problem" I thought id see if there was anyone here that has seen this before.

Cheers all.
post #2208 of 2880 Old 11-29-2018, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMere View Post
Hey all, been a while since my last post. Since I have added a set of rear Monitor Audio Bronze FX to the system now comprising MA Bronze Centre, Bose 301, FX rears.

Im having a bit of a problem at the moment and I was wonedering if anyone else had come across it. We have a 1Tb Sky Q box connected to the AVR then to the tv (Samsung 65" curved) intermittently but persistenly when the system is turned on (always done via use of the sky remote only until switching the AVR back cause of the CEC ARC issue) the sky box will seem to just be dead, the only solution is to unplug the sky box and restart that way. After a restart everything works fine.

Im pretty sure the issue is with the sky box, but before we call them out and the tech points at the AVR and says "there is your problem" I thought id see if there was anyone here that has seen this before.

Cheers all.
Have you tried turning the receiver first, waiting till it's final click (when it turns on the speakers), and then turning on the sky box?
I know I sometimes have the issue where if I turn on the HTPC first, the screen will be at the wrong resolution and I have to restart everything.
It seems like the Sky box is turning on, receiver is not ready yet, and this the hdmi out in Sky is out of sync and not working.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #2209 of 2880 Old 11-30-2018, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Maybe someone can help me with this problem.

I connected my PC via HDMI to the BD/DVD-HDMI-In on the receiver. When I watch a movie from my PC, everything is fine. But when I leave the TV off and only stream some music to the REceiver, the connectiuon breaks down after about 15 minutes and the receiver is not even recognised by the PC as an audio device any more. When I switch on the TV, the sound settings of the PC shows the receiver again. This is really annoying as I canniot listen to music for a longer time without having the TV running. I tried to switch off ARC, but that did not help. Does anyone have an idea what I could try? Thank you.
I think you will have to change settings in avr hdmi setting and set it up at "watch/listen" . It must be currently at "watch" only.
Anyhow why don't you cast your music using the built in chromecast?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #2210 of 2880 Old 11-30-2018, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroMagnumXL View Post
Hello, I just got this receiver coming from a Pioneer VSX-LX101. So far I think the features and sound are great except for one problem.

On my old receiver I had it setup so PCM audio would output in DTS-X and all other audio would bitstream and upmix accordingly. Dolby Digital to Atmos, DTS to DTS-X for example. I'm trying to set this one up so by default it upmixes all PCM whether it is stereo or multichannel to DTS-X and everything else is it's native format upmixed with the height channels.

I've tried setting the default to AFD but that doesn't upmix PCM, and when I set it to DTSX-Neural that overrides that Atmos output. Is there something I'm missing?

I haven't done the auto calibration yet because I haven't had my house quiet enough to perform an accurate measurement, I know that opens up additional options like phantom channels but I'm not sure that it will give me what I'm looking for to upmix PCM automatically and keep everything else native. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for the help, have learned quite a bit reading through this so far.
I use multi channel mode which I feel upmixes to give me the best performance. Try it out.

post #2211 of 2880 Old 11-30-2018, 01:55 AM

Hello guys. Up until now I was using digital toslink as "TV" audio. But now I want to use optical spdif as audio source for the button on remote that says "TV". Anyone know how to do that?

post #2212 of 2880 Old 11-30-2018, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 91
So has anyone gotten TrueHD to work over eARC yet?
post #2213 of 2880 Old 11-30-2018, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Regardless, it is. As it is sold in Europe, where about 70 % of all speakers are 4 Ohm, ;-)

It can power it sure. Can it stay powered without blowing up or tripping protection? Powering doesn't imply operating, it's just a component of operation. Operation without blowing up is another component.

Sony says no.
post #2214 of 2880 Old 11-30-2018, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
Have you tried turning the receiver first, waiting till it's final click (when it turns on the speakers), and then turning on the sky box?
I know I sometimes have the issue where if I turn on the HTPC first, the screen will be at the wrong resolution and I have to restart everything.
It seems like the Sky box is turning on, receiver is not ready yet, and this the hdmi out in Sky is out of sync and not working.
Ill test it out tomorrow, cheers.
post #2215 of 2880 Old 11-30-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeking View Post
It can power it sure. Can it stay powered without blowing up or tripping protection? Powering doesn't imply operating, it's just a component of operation. Operation without blowing up is another component.

Sony says no.
Exactly. It may work well for some time. Prolonged use even though wouldn't look like trouble to the eyes but over time due to excessive heating and load the amp may fail prematurely in its life span.
I am running 6 ohms speakers and the amp goes kinda hot after a couple of hours. And since the cabinet is closed on all side expect the front I have added a USB powered cooling fan to the USB point of the receiver and kept it on the top. Gives me a piece of mind that I don't have to worry about it heating too much after hours of use.

post #2216 of 2880 Old 11-30-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeking View Post
Quote:
Regardless, it is. As it is sold in Europe, where about 70 % of all speakers are 4 Ohm, 😉

Sony says no.
Exactly. Heat is bad for components.

-
Xbox One S
post #2217 of 2880 Old 11-30-2018, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi everyone. I’m hoping someone can help with this. After finally hooking up my ELAC Atmos speakers, I started going through the calibration (setting them to FD first). Immediately after the first pulses it showed “protector” on screen and turned off. I took the receiver out and made sure no wires were touching. I did this three times but this is happening every time immediately after that first series of pulses ... any thoughts, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2218 of 2880 Old 11-30-2018, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuf View Post
Hi everyone. I’m hoping someone can help with this. After finally hooking up my ELAC Atmos speakers, I started going through the calibration (setting them to FD first). Immediately after the first pulses it showed “protector” on screen and turned off. I took the receiver out and made sure no wires were touching. I did this three times but this is happening every time immediately after that first series of pulses ... any thoughts, thanks!

It could be because of the impedance of the Elac.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
post #2219 of 2880 Old 11-30-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowekim View Post
It could be because of the impedance of the Elac.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Does that mean they’re not compatible?!

post #2220 of 2880 Old 11-30-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuf View Post
Does that mean they’re not compatible?!

From what I just read, both the 108” and ELAC are rated at 6.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page