Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2211Likes

post #2311 of 2928 Old 12-28-2018, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus05 View Post
Morning gents,

Just a heads up I am new to the whole home theater setup and this is my first AVR and speaker setup.
Currently I have 5 klipsch reference speakers 4 - r-14m, and 1 center channel r-25c. I do not currently have a sub.

My STR-DN1080 is setup in a 5.0 speaker configuration, with it set to AFD or Direct.

My question is when I play files, Blu-rays, etc, that utilize a 5.1 or 7.1 track the receiver will display the correct encoding, lets say DTS-X or Dolby True HD 7.1 however it will then show something in the lines of 7.1[3.0/(4.1)] or 5.1[3.1/(2.0)] or something similar to that. I am trying to understand what the information in [] is stating. I would have suspected that since I have a 5.0 speaker setup that a 5.1 or 7.1 audio track would be converted to 5.0?

Is the information in the brackets stating what channels are active?
Thanks,
Jebs
I wouldn't sweat it. As long as you have the AVR configured as 5.0 for speakers, it knows you have no rears or sub.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2928 Old 12-28-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post
The DN1080 likely has all the features I'd want and then some. Due to being in an apartment the most I'd do is a 5.2 setup.

I have an LG 4K TV and Sony 4K blu-ray player.
Canuck, I think you'll enjoy the 1080, but I don't know if it sounds better than the equivalent Yamaha. I kind of doubt most people can hear a difference in sound quality among any of these mid-priced consumer AVRs, so it's more about features. I have an LG TV and the X800 as well, and think CEC works pretty well with this mix. For example my LG remote (I don't use a Harmony) controls the volume, I can select an AVR source from the TV's menu, and can control some of the AVR's home screen items. So I rarely ever use the AVR remote. One minor thing that appealed to me is this AVR is not as deep as many others, if that's a factor at all in where you place it. Like the X800, it is built like a tank inside.

In terms of the AVR going to the home screen after powering on, all it needs is a signal from the source again to get it back - like hitting "play" on your player. Minor annoyance, and since this is still the current model, likely to get fixed in a firmware update since a previous update caused it. My guess is it's a CEC / HDMI timing glitch, where it looks for a signal after the source tells it "select me".

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's

Last edited by Magellan55; 12-28-2018 at 08:45 AM.
post #2313 of 2928 Old 12-28-2018, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Banana plugs

Just got a 1080 for Xmas as I am upgrading from a 770. Really looking forward to the upgrade. Does anyone know what type of banana plug works on the 1080? I bought a rocket fish set from Best Buy (only option at the store) and they appear too large to fit in the avr. These plugs won't fit in my 770 either. Any input would be much appreciated.

Sony XBR55-A1E/Sony XBR-65X850C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2314 of 2928 Old 12-28-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA SQ View Post
Just got a 1080 for Xmas as I am upgrading from a 770. Really looking forward to the upgrade. Does anyone know what type of banana plug works on the 1080? I bought a rocket fish set from Best Buy (only option at the store) and they appear too large to fit in the avr. These plugs won't fit in my 770 either. Any input would be much appreciated.
Banana plugs for speakers should be fairly standard. This is what I have:
http://www.nakamichiplug.com/product-0857F24.html
there are cheaper ones that should work well. Try to fit them on your speakers, and if they fit that they will fit the AVR (with a little push).
post #2315 of 2928 Old 12-28-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
Banana plugs for speakers should be fairly standard. This is what I have:
http://www.nakamichiplug.com/product-0857F24.html
there are cheaper ones that should work well. Try to fit them on your speakers, and if they fit that they will fit the AVR (with a little push).
Thanks buddy- I didn't give up and gathered the springs were just to tight so loosened them up by squeezing gently w pliers and a cloth. That loosened the spring up a little and they started to slide in.

Random question open to anybody and I read thru the entire thread and didn't see it mentioned. There are two hdmi inputs that state for improved audio- I think it's th cd and DVD inputs. Does anyone know how the audio is improved and is it significant? Assuming it's maybe better hardware in these ports but it's the same audio formats thru all the inputs.
Thanks

post #2316 of 2928 Old 12-29-2018, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Lakshay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post
Amazon Echo - does anyone use one of these Alexa devices with the STR-DN1080? If so, what do you do with it, what 'skills' do you use, and how do you like the combo? Thanks.
I don't think so there's anything you can do with alexa for this avr. You could use Google home to cast songs though.
Thanks. I ended up buying a Amazon Echo Dot to go near the AVR. I couldn't get any of the Spotify:Connect Alexa Skills to work with it.

However, Bluetooth works well. You need to put the AVR in Transmit mode and then say "Alexa pair phone". After pairing, put the AVR in Receive mode and say "Alexa connect phone". This works nicely and wakes up the AVR from standby mode. It does recognise the AVR's name, but "phone" is easier.

The only downside is the Echo doesn't have AAC or LDAC codecs, so it's just SBC.

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S
post #2317 of 2928 Old 12-29-2018, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus05 View Post
I am trying to understand what the information in [] is stating. I would have suspected that since I have a 5.0 speaker setup that a 5.1 or 7.1 audio track would be converted to 5.0?
This article will get you started:
https://www.dbstalk.com/community/in...-it-5-1.20138/
If the DN1080 decodes object-based audio, it will not show the channel layout any more. What makes sense, kind of.
post #2318 of 2928 Old 12-29-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Random question open to anybody and I read thru the entire thread and didn't see it mentioned. There are two hdmi inputs that state for improved audio- I think it's th cd and DVD inputs. Does anyone know how the audio is improved and is it significant? Assuming it's maybe better hardware in these ports but it's the same audio formats thru all the inputs.
Thanks
I read somewhere it's better D/A converters on those two inputs. could be wrong. Doubt anyone can tell without really good source material (DSD) and really good speakers. but yeah, why not plug your physical media players in those if Sony says that's where they sound best?

post #2319 of 2928 Old 12-29-2018, 10:39 PM

PS4 pro

Has anyone had issues hooking the PS4 pro to this avr? I can't get a picture at all as I have the pro w a factory hdmi cord in the sa cd port set to enhanced. I tried standard too. I am running an older software and will update that tomorrow but still surprised as the cheaper Sony seven seventy avr ran the pro w no issues. My directv worked in the video two port. Any input would be much appreciated.
Perhaps try another hdmi port?

Thanks

post #2320 of 2928 Old 12-30-2018, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post
Thanks. I ended up buying a Amazon Echo Dot to go near the AVR. I couldn't get any of the Spotify:Connect Alexa Skills to work with it.

However, Bluetooth works well. You need to put the AVR in Transmit mode and then say "Alexa pair phone". After pairing, put the AVR in Receive mode and say "Alexa connect phone". This works nicely and wakes up the AVR from standby mode. It does recognise the AVR's name, but "phone" is easier.

The only downside is the Echo doesn't have AAC or LDAC codecs, so it's just SBC.
Though you could have paired directly from alexa app, that's another way around it.
Didn't know echo could wake Avr up from standby. Will try that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #2321 of 2928 Old 12-30-2018, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Has anyone had issues hooking the PS4 pro to this avr? I can't get a picture at all as I have the pro w a factory hdmi cord in the sa cd port set to enhanced. I tried standard too. I am running an older software and will update that tomorrow but still surprised as the cheaper Sony seven seventy avr ran the pro w no issues. My directv worked in the video two port. Any input would be much appreciated.

Perhaps try another hdmi port?

Thanks
If I'm not mistaken sa cd is set to just listen in the AVR settings. You can just plug it in the game or 2nd hdmi. It should work. Also just upgrade that hdmi cable to a certified 18gbps 4k hdmi cable.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #2322 of 2928 Old 12-30-2018, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
I read somewhere it's better D/A converters on those two inputs. could be wrong. Doubt anyone can tell without really good source material (DSD) and really good speakers. but yeah, why not plug your physical media players in those if Sony says that's where they sound best?
That was my initial idea as well. But I can see, that also DN1060 touts this feature on 2 HDMI ports, I checked the schematics of DN1060 and I do not see anything like that.
In my opinion, it would also totally not make sense to install 2 sets of D/A converters. Especially if you need to convert 10 channels. Why not install just the best ones you can?
post #2323 of 2928 Old 12-30-2018, 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=Dr.Lakshay;57346430]If I'm not mistaken sa cd is set to just listen in the AVR settings. You can just plug it in the game or 2nd hdmi. It should work. Also just upgrade that hdmi cable to a certified 18gbps 4k hdmi cable.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapat

Thanks for the help I didn't notice the sa cd was set to listen only- you have to scroll down one spot in the menu to see that and I missed it. Working great now w PS4.
Thanks

post #2324 of 2928 Old 12-31-2018, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help I didn't notice the sa cd was set to listen only- you have to scroll down one spot in the menu to see that and I missed it. Working great now w PS4.
What exactly was your remedy? Did you reconfigure the SA-CD to view or change the input?
post #2325 of 2928 Old 12-31-2018, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good Morning everyone

I recently purchased this nice reveiver to replace my storm-fried Denon X2300W. So far so good but I have an issue and was wondering if you could help me

I setup everything according to "standard" and did the Automatic calibration with the supplied mic

The result is good and sound is very nice. However I have an issue when watching movies from my Nvidia Shield (connected with HDMI on the Bluray input). It is nearly impossible to watch a movie or TV show at decent volume because explosions and loud sound effects just wake up the whole neighbourhood (including my 3 years old haha). I did activate the Dynamic Range Compressor option but it doesn't seem to have any effect. When reducing the sound then dialogues are nearly impossible to hear, even though I manually increased the center speaker level. This results in me constantly increasing and reducing the volume depending on the scene !

I didn't have this problem at all with the Denon. Maybe I am missing something in the setup ?

Appreciate all your help and sorry for my English, am writing from France

Many thanks
post #2326 of 2928 Old 12-31-2018, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olymp Jeux View Post
Good Morning everyone

I recently purchased this nice reveiver to replace my storm-fried Denon X2300W. So far so good but I have an issue and was wondering if you could help me

I setup everything according to "standard" and did the Automatic calibration with the supplied mic

The result is good and sound is very nice. However I have an issue when watching movies from my Nvidia Shield (connected with HDMI on the Bluray input). It is nearly impossible to watch a movie or TV show at decent volume because explosions and loud sound effects just wake up the whole neighbourhood (including my 3 years old haha). I did activate the Dynamic Range Compressor option but it doesn't seem to have any effect. When reducing the sound then dialogues are nearly impossible to hear, even though I manually increased the center speaker level. This results in me constantly increasing and reducing the volume depending on the scene !

I didn't have this problem at all with the Denon. Maybe I am missing something in the setup ?

Appreciate all your help and sorry for my English, am writing from France

Many thanks
I just picked up a Denon after having this Sony for the last 2 years..... Unfortunately that's how it sounds. DRC worked better after I upgraded my speakers. I think the more sensitive the speakers the better. Just my experience.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #2327 of 2928 Old 12-31-2018, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olymp Jeux View Post

Appreciate all your help and sorry for my English, am writing from France [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
I understand this is a Dolby-only feature because it uses dialnorm metadata and drc function of Dolby Digital decoder.

https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn1...001221256.html

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...-metadata.html

Last edited by priitv8; 12-31-2018 at 09:24 AM.
post #2328 of 2928 Old 12-31-2018, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

I bought my banana plugs from Monoprice. Got all of my cables there, as well. Why spend a ton when it's unnecessary.
post #2329 of 2928 Old 12-31-2018, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

My 1080 has suddenly started having the ZONE2 H indicator lit after I turn it off. Not quite sure what setting got changed, but... Anyone else experience this?
post #2330 of 2928 Old 12-31-2018, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Web interface?

I've seen screen shots of the web interface of older models that show all sorts of configuration menus including renaming inputs.

On my new and current versioned 1080 I only see airplay options (create PIN, static IP and wireless setup).

Did they deprecate all the other options?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	web1080.PNG
Views:	54
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	2503304  
post #2331 of 2928 Old 12-31-2018, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchar View Post
I've seen screen shots of the web interface of older models that show all sorts of configuration menus including renaming inputs.

On my new and current versioned 1080 I only see airplay options (create PIN, static IP and wireless setup).

Did they deprecate all the other options?

You can still rename inputs... HOME>Setup>Input Settings

Although, I will say - I renamed a couple and, while they stay renamed in that screen - what shows on the AVR hasn't changed...
post #2332 of 2928 Old 12-31-2018, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb0135 View Post
I will be, but since I have only had it for a week, it is only occurred twice on not turning on over that week (yes, 2 times more than it should), and only 2 people seem to have had this problem, I will probably test it for a few more weeks before contacting Sony.
Well, to update, it now happens every time I want to turn the Amp on. Even if I have had the amp on in the morning, then use it again in the afternoon. It wont respond until I press the power button.

Cant believe only one other person has mentioned it (and both on the latest firmware).
Adidas1 likes this.
post #2333 of 2928 Old 12-31-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
What exactly was your remedy? Did you reconfigure the SA-CD to view or change the input?
I changed the Sa cd input to watch only from the listen only option. I didn't notice the sa cd was set as listen only since you have to scroll down on one space to see it. All the spaces you can see- had watch only as the input so just assumed all the inputs came that way. So I couldn't get a picture and just googled a remedy and found a ton of handshaking issue threads between the PS4 pro and the 1080 on the internet. So I assumed it was an issue and maybe it is for some but I clearly goofed on my end. Thanks for pointing that out to me-haha.

The 770 didn't allow to you change input icons or set inputs to watch only or listen only so it's a newer concept for me.

post #2334 of 2928 Old 12-31-2018, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I have a weird issue that just started today, I get no sound from my center channel or my surround speakers. It doesn't matter if i'm playing on my xbox one X or PS4 Pro or Nintendo switch. When I play youtube or any game on my xbox one X I only get stereo sound doesn't matter if I have A.F.D or Dolby surround on.

When I go and change the sound settings on the xbox to either Dolby Atmos or Linear 5.1 or 7.1 I still just get stereo sound. This is the same for my Nintendo or my PS4 Pro. When I play Netflix on my Xbox One X and let the preview video play its still plays in 2.0, but when I actually click and play the movie I get perfect 5.1 sound from all channels or Dolby Atmos sound from all channels.

I also have an Nvidia Shield hooked up and everything I play through that works fine and plays sound to all my speakers. When I run a test tone on my receiver all my speakers play a tone. When I turn my Nintendo switch to surround sound it also runs a quick test and I get sound from all my speakers but when playing any game I only get 2.0 and this is with dolby surround sound field on I even tried multi channel still only getting 2.0

I did a factory reset on the receiver and went through the calibration settings again and I still have the same issue. It seems like the receiver is not up converting any 2.0 sound. The display would even read 5.1..

Sorry if this sounds confusing it's late where I am at and I been working on this for 3 hours any help would be great..
post #2335 of 2928 Old 01-01-2019, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post
My 1080 has suddenly started having the ZONE2 H indicator lit after I turn it off. Not quite sure what setting got changed, but... Anyone else experience this?
Turn the power off in zone 2.
https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn1...l?search=zone2
post #2336 of 2928 Old 01-01-2019, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post

When all else fails, read the directions. Sorry for being that guy...but thanks for pointing that out. Not even sure how power to Zone 2 got turned on. The settings weren't even turned on in the Home menu...
post #2337 of 2928 Old 01-01-2019, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Checking why owners chose the 1080 over the denon 3400. I'm deciding between theses two currently.
post #2338 of 2928 Old 01-01-2019, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3andit View Post
Hello all,

I have a weird issue that just started today, I get no sound from my center channel or my surround speakers. It doesn't matter if i'm playing on my xbox one X or PS4 Pro or Nintendo switch. When I play youtube or any game on my xbox one X I only get stereo sound doesn't matter if I have A.F.D or Dolby surround on.

When I go and change the sound settings on the xbox to either Dolby Atmos or Linear 5.1 or 7.1 I still just get stereo sound. This is the same for my Nintendo or my PS4 Pro. When I play Netflix on my Xbox One X and let the preview video play its still plays in 2.0, but when I actually click and play the movie I get perfect 5.1 sound from all channels or Dolby Atmos sound from all channels.

I also have an Nvidia Shield hooked up and everything I play through that works fine and plays sound to all my speakers. When I run a test tone on my receiver all my speakers play a tone. When I turn my Nintendo switch to surround sound it also runs a quick test and I get sound from all my speakers but when playing any game I only get 2.0 and this is with dolby surround sound field on I even tried multi channel still only getting 2.0

I did a factory reset on the receiver and went through the calibration settings again and I still have the same issue. It seems like the receiver is not up converting any 2.0 sound. The display would even read 5.1..

Sorry if this sounds confusing it's late where I am at and I been working on this for 3 hours any help would be great..
I don't have this receiver but I have the 1040 and that has happened to me a few times. I changed something in the hdmi settings, audio out is set to amp instead of tv+amp. Or you can check your xbox settings and make sure you have it set to surround
post #2339 of 2928 Old 01-01-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post
Checking why owners chose the 1080 over the denon 3400. I'm deciding between theses two currently.
1. Price - the Denon is 2.5 times more expensive in my area
2. The Sony is a few inches less (depth) and fit better in my wall unit

If the prices were closer I would have purchased the Denon. An added bonus of the Denon is the separate controls for CEC and ARC plus faster UI navigation.
post #2340 of 2928 Old 01-01-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
1. Price - the Denon is 2.5 times more expensive in my area
2. The Sony is a few inches less (depth) and fit better in my wall unit

If the prices were closer I would have purchased the Denon. An added bonus of the Denon is the separate controls for CEC and ARC plus faster UI navigation.
I have the 1080 and the 3500. The Denon also processes surround much better. I always felt like my rear speakers were never on. The Denon is much more immersive. Plus dynamic volume makes my wife happy. I would go with the Denon for the long haul. I'm already planning on selling my 1080 to get a 44/4500

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x