Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2211Likes

post #211 of 2890 Old 11-05-2017, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Setting crossover for Sub

Does anyone know how to set the receivers crossover frequency for the sub? I'm running 5.1.2 set up height speakers are up-firing sitting on top of my my front towers. All speakers are set to small with crossover at 120hz.

Do not see any bass management on the DN1080.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2890 Old 11-05-2017, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having a bit of an issue with the Video 1 (Non 4:4:4 support). Hoping someone might have an idea of how to fix this.

Have a Mac Mini hooked up to the port and I get no signal when switching to the input until I pull the HDMI cable and plug it back in. Then I get a signal. Handshaking issue?

Wondering if anyone might know of a setting on the Sony or Mac that might help fix this issue? The Mini works fine in any other port, but I'd really like to use Video 1 for it since I'm either using all ports or have plans for the other free ports.
post #213 of 2890 Old 11-07-2017, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does the 1080 get real hot? Does it require an external fan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 2890 Old 11-07-2017, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought one of these today after what I thought was a reasonable amount of research. Still sitting boxed in my room. Before I open it though I have a couple of last minute questions I would appreciate help with:

1. I am replacing a Yamaha amp where I could have a list of internet Radio stations that I could simply select and play from the amp / remote itself. Am I right in thinking that the Sony can't actually do this? (I just assumed that would be a standard feature on net connected amps these days).

2. I used to mainly control my Yam amp from my iPhone app. This included selecting inputs/music/volume etc.
Can I do this with an app for the Sony?

3. Assuming there is an app to control it, can you turn the amp on/off from the iPhone app?

Any help would be appreciated.
post #215 of 2890 Old 11-08-2017, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi all,
My old Onkyo amp gave up the ghost last Friday so, after a bit of Googling, I took the plunge and forked out for a DN1080.

I went through the "Easy Configuration" and, although I didn't know what a lot of the acronyms meant, I just mainly stuck with the default settings.

The sound is fantastic and it also seems to have significantly improved the picture quality of my 7 year old TV.

I'd recorded the Blue Planet 2 series on my Virgin Media cable box in HD and, although the picture is amazing, I noticed the amp showing "Multi St" on the front. I thought that "Multi St" was just splitting the sound between all the speakers? (I have a 5.1 setup).

I would have thought that, because I recorded the program in HD, it would have selected some sort of 'surround' sound option when it played back?

Am I correct in thinking this? And, if so, what do I need to change on my amp for it to play the content with the correct sound configuration?

Apologies if these are basic questions, I appreciate if someone could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks
post #216 of 2890 Old 11-08-2017, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown47 View Post
Hi all,
My old Onkyo amp gave up the ghost last Friday so, after a bit of Googling, I took the plunge and forked out for a DN1080.

I went through the "Easy Configuration" and, although I didn't know what a lot of the acronyms meant, I just mainly stuck with the default settings.

The sound is fantastic and it also seems to have significantly improved the picture quality of my 7 year old TV.

I'd recorded the Blue Planet 2 series on my Virgin Media cable box in HD and, although the picture is amazing, I noticed the amp showing "Multi St" on the front. I thought that "Multi St" was just splitting the sound between all the speakers? (I have a 5.1 setup).

I would have thought that, because I recorded the program in HD, it would have selected some sort of 'surround' sound option when it played back?

Am I correct in thinking this? And, if so, what do I need to change on my amp for it to play the content with the correct sound configuration?

Apologies if these are basic questions, I appreciate if someone could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks
Reading the glowing reviews of this receiver I might pull the trigger for its ES twin, the ZA810ES for its five year warranty. I've been reading through the manuals for both amps and this could be what happened.

If the show had a 5.1 track, it outputed all the info through your front speakers since you didn't assign the sound field on the amp. Weird, right. Most receivers just set themselves to Dolby Surround and move from there, automatically picking up Dolby Digital etc.

With the Sony, you have to go though the DN1080 or ZA810ES sound field settings, and make sure to set the receiver to A.F.D. (Auto Format Decoding) to listen Dolby TrueHD/Atmos/DTS:X tracks because if not all the info from the track will be output to both front speakers.
uptown47 likes this.
post #217 of 2890 Old 11-08-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by many03 View Post
With the Sony, you have to go though the DN1080 or ZA810ES sound field settings, and make sure to set the receiver to A.F.D. (Auto Format Decoding) to listen Dolby TrueHD/Atmos/DTS:X tracks because if not all the info from the track will be output to both front speakers.
That's great info. Thanks for that. Really appreciate you getting back to me and good luck with the ZA810ES if you decide to go for it!

Cheers :-)
many03 likes this.
post #218 of 2890 Old 11-08-2017, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Sonido View Post
Does anyone know how to set the receivers crossover frequency for the sub? I'm running 5.1.2 set up height speakers are up-firing sitting on top of my my front towers. All speakers are set to small with crossover at 120hz.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question but it sounds like you found the bass management if you set the crossover for it at 120Hz...

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #219 of 2890 Old 11-09-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:

I tried this last night and still have a question/issue.

When I set the system to A.F.D. it seems to pick up 5.1 fine from a HD input but, when I play normal TV (through my Virgin Media cable box) it reverts to just 2 channel sound out of the front speakers. I would like it to switch to Multi Stereo for anything that isn't 5.1 surround sound.

In other words, is there a way to set this amp so it will always play out of all the speakers regardless of source? A 2 channel source will switch to Multi Stereo and a 5.1 source will play correctly in surround sound?

Again, sorry for the potential ignorance of the question. It's just that, on my last amp (Onkyo TX-NR414) I didn't have to touch anything other than to change the 'source' (which was taken care of by my Harmony remote) and the sound-type (sound field?) just seemed to sort itself out?

Many thanks :-)
post #220 of 2890 Old 11-09-2017, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Quote:
I tried this last night and still have a question/issue.

When I set the system to A.F.D. it seems to pick up 5.1 fine from a HD input but, when I play normal TV (through my Virgin Media cable box) it reverts to just 2 channel sound out of the front speakers. I would like it to switch to Multi Stereo for anything that isn't 5.1 surround sound.

In other words, is there a way to set this amp so it will always play out of all the speakers regardless of source? A 2 channel source will switch to Multi Stereo and a 5.1 source will play correctly in surround sound?

Again, sorry for the potential ignorance of the question. It's just that, on my last amp (Onkyo TX-NR414) I didn't have to touch anything other than to change the 'source' (which was taken care of by my Harmony remote) and the sound-type (sound field?) just seemed to sort itself out?

Many thanks :-)
This might not be a setting in the receiver. Try different cable TV channels to see if they're all the same. Also, try the different audio settings in your cable STB.

Quite a few TV/cable channels transmit a 5.1 surround-sound signal but provide audio only in the front left and right channels. Their surround, center and LFE channels are silent. Since the receiver is being told that audio already is being provided in all of the speaker channels, its audio upmixers (including AFD) can't do anything.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #221 of 2890 Old 11-09-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
This might not be a setting in the receiver. Try different cable TV channels to see if they're all the same. Also, try the different audio settings in your cable STB.

Quite a few TV/cable channels transmit a 5.1 surround-sound signal but provide audio only in the front left and right channels. Their surround, center and LFE channels are silent. Since the receiver is being told that audio already is being provided in all of the speaker channels, its audio upmixers (including AFD) can't do anything.
Hi Selden,

I didn't know that. I'll check my cable box settings and see if there's anything in there that would help.

I'm a bit lost with all the settings in the amp (especially around the 'sound field' options) so still trying to learn.

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Cheers
post #222 of 2890 Old 11-09-2017, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really like this receiver except for one major annoyance that is really starting to get on my nerves. If I stream any audio, whether its Bluetooth, Chromecast, etc, it turns my TV on and/or switches away from whatever video source I am using, for seemingly no other reason than to display the built-in "Now playing" screen that I absolutely never want to see. So every time I cast audio to the receiver, I have to wait for the TV to turn on and ten I have to turn it off again. It also gets in the way of using Sony's own Android app that lets you control the receiver. If I am watching something like Netflix on my PS4, and I open the app to control the volume or switch inputs, once it connects, the receiver again switches inputs to display the same unwanted now playing screen. This is because the app uses Bluetooth instead of wifi (for some reason) for control, so the receiver thinks I am playing music when I'm not. (The fact that Bluetooth is used for control instead of wifi also means that i have to keep my phone connected to Bluetooth at all times, so I have to manually turn it off if I want to watch a video on my phone without having the audio routed to the receiver)

Is there a setting I am missing that will stop this from happening or has Sony just screwed the pooch on this? It makes for a really unpleasant experience and I they really need to fix it.

Last edited by midwesterndirt; 11-09-2017 at 07:59 AM.
post #223 of 2890 Old 11-10-2017, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Image processing?

Hello All

I will be soon setting up this AVR with my computer and have a small question(s).

I have my Benq W1070 projector currently connected directly to my computers GPU (Nvidia GTX 970). My question is;

1) Is it worth me passing video through the AVR or should I just keep the Projector directly connected to the PC?

I guess my other question is;

2) Will this AVR upscale or make any of my Videos on my PC look better (ie if they are 720p or somthing).??

Bonus question; Should I connect my Darbee darblet before of after the AVR (assuming I will use the AVR for Video)

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by Slimzy; 11-10-2017 at 06:40 AM.
post #224 of 2890 Old 11-10-2017, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post
Yes. If you're using off, then no room correction is being applied, but if you like how it sounds then go with it.
I tried full flat with several EQ tweaks..

+1 bass
+1 bass and -1 treble
-2 treble

But it just ended up sounding too bright on my speakers overall. The highs were beautifully detailed but it was lacking character in the lows and mids.

Front Reference is ok and I like that is has the least amount of color but for some reason, Off with +2 treble feels the closest to a movie theater, of course minus the insane amounts of subwoofer bass. Lol

What exactly does room correction mean? Does it have anything to do with the inital calibration that I ran when I first setup the receiver?

Last edited by ShapelyTwig; 11-10-2017 at 04:55 PM.
post #225 of 2890 Old 11-10-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:

There is another setting for the subwoofer crossover, look for it. The description mentions using it if your subwoofer lacks a crossover control.

My sub has a knob on the back for crossover so I keep the setting disabled.

Btw, is there a reason you use 120hz instead of 80hz? I always thought 80 was the gold standard, even for car audio.
post #226 of 2890 Old 11-10-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimzy View Post
Hello All

I will be soon setting up this AVR with my computer and have a small question(s).

I have my Benq W1070 projector currently connected directly to my computers GPU (Nvidia GTX 970). My question is;

1) Is it worth me passing video through the AVR or should I just keep the Projector directly connected to the PC?

I guess my other question is;

2) Will this AVR upscale or make any of my Videos on my PC look better (ie if they are 720p or somthing).??

Bonus question; Should I connect my Darbee darblet before of after the AVR (assuming I will use the AVR for Video)

Many thanks in advance.

I have a similar setup but I plug my Sony Hw45es projector into the output of this receiver and use the inputs for my PC, Roku, PS4, and 360.

That is the standard way of doing things and you really don't have a choice because the receiver needs an HDMI signal from your PC to deliver all of it's features in the sound.

As for video, I'm fairly sure most receivers just pass through the video for the most part. There is a 4k upscaling option and there is a chroma 4:4:4 setting you want to use and I believe that the video 1 input is the only one that doesnt support. I dont know if its true but nevertheless, I avoided usig it, even though its the most obvious one to use for you main input device.

Hope this helps. It's an awesome receiver for PC games. I use traditional 7.1 and after I configured the windows sound to accept it games sounds amazing. Its literally a sphere of 360° sound.

Last edited by ShapelyTwig; 11-10-2017 at 04:59 PM.
post #227 of 2890 Old 11-11-2017, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks

On the remote, press MOVIE a few times for Dolby Surround. I use this on my Atmos setup, to also get "atmos" sound (hight speaker) from 5.1 and stereo sources.
I use Dolby Surround instead of AFD. Works for all formats, except not very good for music, imo.
For music, press 2CH/MULTI for stereo or stereo in all speakers+sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #228 of 2890 Old 11-11-2017, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guddal View Post
On the remote, press MOVIE a few times for Dolby Surround. I use this on my Atmos setup, to also get "atmos" sound (hight speaker) from 5.1 and stereo sources.
I use Dolby Surround instead of AFD. Works for all formats, except not very good for music, imo.
For music, press 2CH/MULTI for stereo or stereo in all speakers+sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tips. I watched a Metallica video last night that should have 5.1 sound with AFD enabled but my front panel still initially scrolled "2.0".

The sound was great but I'm convinced I'm doing something wrong. I have a Harmony remote and would rather not have to mess with the settings of the amp every time I change source. I just want it to automagically switch to the best setting (or for me to be able to tell it that I always want Multi Stereo for 2.0 sound and Surround Sound for 5.1 sound)? I'm not sure if that's possible.

It might even already be doing it as, as I said, the sound was really good?
post #229 of 2890 Old 11-11-2017, 06:33 AM

I've noticed on quite a few things that I watch via this amp that I'm getting a kind of "ghostly" shape around people when they are moving (especially when they are moving fast)?

I thought it was just the source and a one-off but it's happening on lots of stuff??

Any ideas why this is and how I could get rid of it??

Thanks
post #230 of 2890 Old 11-11-2017, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc2472 View Post
Does the 1080 get real hot? Does it require an external fan?
Yeah it gets hot especially in an enclosed cabinet. I drilled holes in the top back of my gear cabinet (it's a cheap IIKEA) to add some ventilation ports. I placed the unit at the bottom of the cabinet - thinking heat will rise. Don't think it needs a fan but depending on how you have your components set up, you ma want to keep an eye on heat buildup.
post #231 of 2890 Old 11-12-2017, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Hey all.

I can't seem to make music from my pc come out of all speakers (including surround speakers). Iv? tried multi stereo...AFD....... nothing makes sound come from the rear/surround speakers. I've configured windows with 5.1

Edit: Scrap that. I figured it out... neural x works fine.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to make the reciever turn on by detecting sound from the PC?

Last edited by Slimzy; 11-12-2017 at 05:09 AM.
post #232 of 2890 Old 11-12-2017, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HI all,

I am looking to get this amp to replace a Sony Muteki 7.2ch 2012W amp.

I also would like to setup 2 x AuraPro Bass Shaker and was wondering if the Subwoofer out RCAs on the back can be used for that?
I need a pre-out for the Bass Shaker as they have their own amp.

Any help on this?
Cheers,
E.
post #233 of 2890 Old 11-12-2017, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have question for Sony owners... in every Sony STR DNxxxx -model there is mention rear panel, that it takes 240w from "wall" .. but it outputs : (according to soundvision)
Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads: 0.1% distortion at 64.4 watts 1% distortion at 75.5 watts.. So, is Sony having solution for energy crisis ? Takes 240w from wall but outputs continously over double that.. What im missing ?

Model DN1060 was tested and measured AVR comparison in Finland (magazine called Tekniikan maailma) and they got 14w per surround channel... that's kinda pathetic (if true)

What improvements Sony has done in psu side in last couple years ?

Last edited by latexii; 11-12-2017 at 02:26 PM.
post #234 of 2890 Old 11-12-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexii View Post
I have question for Sony owners... in every Sony STR DNxxxx -model there is mention rear panel, that it takes 240w from "wall" .. but it outputs : (according to soundvision)
Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads: 0.1% distortion at 64.4 watts 1% distortion at 75.5 watts.. So, is Sony having solution for energy crisis ? Takes 240w from wall but outputs continously over double that.. What im missing ?

Model DN1060 was tested and measured AVR comparison in Finland (magazine called Tekniikan maailma) and they got 14w per surround channel... that's kinda pathetic (if true)

What improvements Sony has done in psu side in last couple years ?
I also have that question. I read over that review and was impressed by its 5 channel output. Are they using something to close to Pioneer's D amp technology to get such results since the Elite SC-LX501/502 has a power consumption of 250W.

Last edited by many03; 11-12-2017 at 03:12 PM.
post #235 of 2890 Old 11-12-2017, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I also have that question. I read over that review and was impressed by its 5 channel output. Are they using something to close to Pioneer's D amp technology to get such results since the Elite SC-LX501/502 has a power consumption of 250W.
It's impossible to get more output than you get input (continuously)... Maybe Sony could sell me device that takes 10w from wall and output could be something like 1000w.. i could use it to warm up my house and keep power costs minimal
post #236 of 2890 Old 11-12-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexii View Post
It's impossible to get more output than you get input (continuously)... Maybe Sony could sell me device that takes 10w from wall and output could be something like 1000w.. i could use it to warm up my house and keep power costs minimal
post #237 of 2890 Old 11-13-2017, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah it gets hot especially in an enclosed cabinet. I drilled holes in the top back of my gear cabinet (it's a cheap IIKEA) to add some ventilation ports. I placed the unit at the bottom of the cabinet - thinking heat will rise. Don't think it needs a fan but depending on how you have your components set up, you ma want to keep an eye on heat buildup.

I've put a couple of small cheap USB fans in the cupboard with mine. They're only a few quid from eBay I think and the amp has a USB port on the front that I use to power them.
tbranan66 likes this.
post #238 of 2890 Old 11-13-2017, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

To avoid this issue with some cable channels outputting 2 channel sound, I've been using the Dolby surround option rather than AFD. Is there any downside to doing it this way? I leave it on Dolby surround, even when switching over to the Xbox One X or UHD Blu Ray discs.
post #239 of 2890 Old 11-13-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageSTi View Post
To avoid this issue with some cable channels outputting 2 channel sound, I've been using the Dolby surround option rather than AFD. Is there any downside to doing it this way? I leave it on Dolby surround, even when switching over to the Xbox One X or UHD Blu Ray discs.
For channels with the problem that I described (2.0 transmitted as 5.1), Dolby Surround would have the same "failure". However, setting the cable set-top-box to always output stereo (2.0) PCM instead of 5,1 Dolby would allow any of the upmixers to be used to upmix all of the channels to however many speakers you have. However, the results wouldn't be optimal for those few stations which actually transmit real 5.1 surround-sound.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #240 of 2890 Old 11-13-2017, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
For channels with the problem that I described (2.0 transmitted as 5.1), Dolby Surround would have the same "failure". However, setting the cable set-top-box to always output stereo (2.0) PCM instead of 5,1 Dolby would allow any of the upmixers to be used to upmix all of the channels to however many speakers you have. However, the results wouldn't be optimal for those few stations which actually transmit real 5.1 surround-sound.
With that being said, do you recommend leaving it on AFD rather than Dolby surround? I'd prefer to use a single setting for video (I don't mind changing when listening to music), so whichever of the AFD/Dolby/Neural:X settings fits that description best, I'll go with. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page