Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2211Likes

post #2461 of 2928 Old 02-02-2019, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
Correct. The setup UI shows a picture of the speakers to be clear, and "FD" (no idea what the D stands for) shows atmos speakers sitting on top of the fronts aiming up, while "TM" shows overhead ceiling speakers. the 5.1 has the extra "FH" setup, which is front heights placed maybe 4 feet above the fronts on the front wall, aiming downward.

The 1080 (and 1050 before it) play nice with CEC/ARC, at least with the Sony and LG OLED TV's I've used with them. My LG remote also works the 1080. I too have heard Denon owners talk about wonky CEC, especially on the LG OLED forums, which is one reason I've avoided them. I just don't care for Harmony remotes in my situation and "need" CEC to work.

BTW, Sony AVR's aren't always good - reviewers have said the 1060 sound was poor and a step back from the 1050. 1070 and 1080 were back to the 1050's rich sound.
Thanks for confirming. CEC is a nice to have for me, and it works well enough with the RX-V585, but I need ARC so I can use the apps from my LG C8 OLED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2928 Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdg View Post
Thanks! So by front reflecting, you mean I can place the Atmos speakers on top of my fronts so the sound reflects off the ceiling, correct? I assume front heights are when you wall mount the Atmos speakers above the TV and front speakers. If that's the case, I should be okay.

Which Denon do you have? The one I was looking at was the X1500H. As I mentioned before, I worry about the comments I see about Denon receivers in general. Overheating, buggy GUI, and ARC might be hit and miss. ARC works well with my RX-V585, and the GUI is stable. I'm sure Audyssey is great feature to have, but I'm not willing to sacrifice build quality or functionality just to have potentially the best room correction software. I find that YPAO works well for me, because I have a pretty open room and simple speaker configuration, so I'd be okay with keeping the Yamaha if I have to.

Just curious to see if the DN1080 is actually better than the others in terms of audio quality, since it was considered a top performer in 2017, besting the likes of the RX-V583 (predecessor to the RX-585). Two brands I've never had fail on me are Yamaha and Sony, hence why I'm leaning towards those. I'll be comparing both this week, since I ordered the DN1080 just last night.
All brands have their issues. I have a 3500h. I love the flexibility of it. The sound is great. I don't know if the sound is more correct than the Sony because of audessey but I love the options that it gives me. ARC plagues all brands. Some devices just don't communicate well. The GUI is snappy for me compared to the Sony. But at the end of the day I turn things on and they work almost always as intended.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #2463 of 2928 Old 02-02-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
All brands have their issues. I have a 3500h. I love the flexibility of it. The sound is great. I don't know if the sound is more correct than the Sony because of audessey but I love the options that it gives me. ARC plagues all brands. Some devices just don't communicate well. The GUI is snappy for me compared to the Sony. But at the end of the day I turn things on and they work almost always as intended.

I have no issues with ARC between my LG OLED TV and the Yamaha RX-V585 receiver. ARC was even working between my LG OLED TV and an older Yamaha soundbar which only supported the HDMI 1.4b spec. ARC is capable of working if the manufacturer knows how to implement it properly. So far, I've never run into issues with Sony or Yamaha devices that support ARC. If ARC is going to be problematic with Denon receivers, then I'll be avoiding them. ARC has been around for a decade, and you're telling me they still can't get it right?

I can understand CEC being hit and miss from device to device, but the functionality works for the most part between all of my devices. Unfortunately, Audyssey alone wouldn't get me to buy a Denon when you consistently hear some of the same issues about their receivers. It's the same with Onkyo receivers. I was contemplating getting one of their THX certified receivers, but they appear to have most issues of any of the AVR manufacturers.

Home Theater System: LG OLED65C8 TV, Panasonic DP-UB820 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, Intel NUC NUC6CAYH (w/LibreELEC 9.0), Onkyo TX-NR777 AVR, Klipsch R-28F Floor Standing Speaker (2), Klipsch RC-62 II Center Channel Speaker, Klipsch R-14SA Dolby Atmos Speaker (2), BIC Acoustech H-100II 12" Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2464 of 2928 Old 02-02-2019, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
I have no issues with ARC between my LG OLED TV and the Yamaha RX-V585 receiver. ARC was even working between my LG OLED TV and an older Yamaha soundbar which only supported the HDMI 1.4b spec. ARC is capable of working if the manufacturer knows how to implement it properly. So far, I've never run into issues with Sony or Yamaha devices that support ARC. If ARC is going to be problematic with Denon receivers, then I'll be avoiding them. ARC has been around for a decade, and you're telling me they still can't get it right?

I can understand CEC being hit and miss from device to device, but the functionality works for the most part between all of my devices. Unfortunately, Audyssey alone wouldn't get me to buy a Denon when you consistently hear some of the same issues about their receivers. It's the same with Onkyo receivers. I was contemplating getting one of their THX certified receivers, but they appear to have most issues of any of the AVR manufacturers.
I meant cec

post #2465 of 2928 Old 02-03-2019, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmacdonald View Post
Thanks I will try a different port on the AVR tomorrow. I can't stream via the player, no screen but streaming via the TV is great using AVR sound. Cable box via AVR is good to go. I have tried a new player without success. New cable arriving tomorrow for ARC avr to TV, only one I haven't switched.
All the BRs or DVDs I have tried are "known good." I have also tried a movie on a USB stick in the player, nothing.
I have now replaced all the HDMI high speed cables. The sony nor the brand new LG brp show anything on the TV screen. Both players are seen by the TV and play audio via the AVR.
I think at this point the fault lies with the Sony DN 1080 avr and I'm going to send it in for repair via Amazon pre-paid service.
EDIT: Further research shows Amazon repair partner is certified but only says repair and return. Nothing about replacement. Anyone have an opinion on sending it to Sony instead of using Amazon??

EDIT: I tried the one option mentioned that slipped my mind, I plugged the BRP directly into the TV rather than the AVR, and it Worked!! Thanks for your help.
Magellan55 likes this.

Last edited by gwmacdonald; 02-04-2019 at 06:09 PM.
post #2466 of 2928 Old 02-07-2019, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Just curious to see if the DN1080 is actually better than the others in terms of audio quality, since it was considered a top performer in 2017, besting the likes of the RX-V583 (predecessor to the RX-585). Two brands I've never had fail on me are Yamaha and Sony, hence why I'm leaning towards those. I'll be comparing both this week, since I ordered the DN1080 just last night.
FWIW, I've owned a couple of Denon's and now this Sony (have listened to last model Yamaha & Onkyo's at friends) and I like the sound of the 1080 more than all of them I think.

I've owned it for a couple of months now and I have my issues with it:

- UI is average at best
- I have the HOME screen issue (any input selection on the remote goes to input, then HOME pops up, requiring another press of the button)
- CEC is finicky and doesn't quite work how I'd like
- It runs HOT (tbf it's not as well ventilated as it should be, so I'll blame me for that)
- It's just generally clunky and all the other brands feel like a premium product. The Sony feels a bit flaky
- Not capable of playing a diff audio & video source at the same time hurts the most though!

But all of that I can live with for a while until the next upgrade in a couple of years because this thing has PUNCH. Movies sound incredible - I'm running a bookshelf system (room size reasons / speakers below) and more like 'cinema' than any other AVR I've had (which have all been mid-range really). It's got genuinely vibrant, loud, crisp, punchy sound that the others lacked. When I was using my previous Denon it was just a bit soft - as though it was limited in some way.

Anyway, it functions properly - it's not as 'nice' to use, but does it's main job (great audio / passing through 4k content to my TV) very well so I can live with out the trimmings that I've had before for a couple more years.

Set up:
- Sony STR-DN1080 (Xbox One X, PC & Chromecast Ultra connected to), HDMI ARC to
- LG OLED C7 TV
- Q-Acoustic 2000C centre
- Q-Acoustic 2020i Front L/R
- Q-Acoustic 2010i Rear L/R (removed for the time being for a better/bigger couch)
- Q-Acoustic 2070s Sub (needs an upgrade, but does the job in a small room)

I am looking for some upfiring Atmos speakers that will sit well in my space or on top of my 2020i fronts to expand the sound field while my rears don't fit in the room.
post #2467 of 2928 Old 02-08-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code1026 View Post
FWIW, I've owned a couple of Denon's and now this Sony (have listened to last model Yamaha & Onkyo's at friends) and I like the sound of the 1080 more than all of them I think.

I've owned it for a couple of months now and I have my issues with it:

- UI is average at best
- I have the HOME screen issue (any input selection on the remote goes to input, then HOME pops up, requiring another press of the button)
- CEC is finicky and doesn't quite work how I'd like
- It runs HOT (tbf it's not as well ventilated as it should be, so I'll blame me for that)
- It's just generally clunky and all the other brands feel like a premium product. The Sony feels a bit flaky
- Not capable of playing a diff audio & video source at the same time hurts the most though!

But all of that I can live with for a while until the next upgrade in a couple of years because this thing has PUNCH. Movies sound incredible - I'm running a bookshelf system (room size reasons / speakers below) and more like 'cinema' than any other AVR I've had (which have all been mid-range really). It's got genuinely vibrant, loud, crisp, punchy sound that the others lacked. When I was using my previous Denon it was just a bit soft - as though it was limited in some way.

Anyway, it functions properly - it's not as 'nice' to use, but does it's main job (great audio / passing through 4k content to my TV) very well so I can live with out the trimmings that I've had before for a couple more years.

Set up:
- Sony STR-DN1080 (Xbox One X, PC & Chromecast Ultra connected to), HDMI ARC to
- LG OLED C7 TV
- Q-Acoustic 2000C centre
- Q-Acoustic 2020i Front L/R
- Q-Acoustic 2010i Rear L/R (removed for the time being for a better/bigger couch)
- Q-Acoustic 2070s Sub (needs an upgrade, but does the job in a small room)

I am looking for some upfiring Atmos speakers that will sit well in my space or on top of my 2020i fronts to expand the sound field while my rears don't fit in the room.
Funny enough, I went in a completely different direction. I ended up getting an Onkyo TX-NR777, because the price was way too good to pass on. Ended up paying $388CAD for a new one. I know in the past Onkyo has had issues with overheating, the HDMI control board, etc, but I think with the new models many of the issues have been addressed. There were some software related issues with the NR777 early on, but many of the bugs were fixed via firmware update.

I wanted to give the DN1080 a try, but the price went up to $599CAD and I don't know when it'll drop again. For $200 less, I'm getting a more powerful unit along with more functionality. I can also pay Onkyo $80 to extend my warranty by another two years on top of the original two year warranty if I want to, and that's still comes out to $130 less than the DN1080.

Home Theater System: LG OLED65C8 TV, Panasonic DP-UB820 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, Intel NUC NUC6CAYH (w/LibreELEC 9.0), Onkyo TX-NR777 AVR, Klipsch R-28F Floor Standing Speaker (2), Klipsch RC-62 II Center Channel Speaker, Klipsch R-14SA Dolby Atmos Speaker (2), BIC Acoustech H-100II 12" Subwoofer
post #2468 of 2928 Old 02-09-2019, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm new here and I do'nt know if this is the correct way but I have a question about the STR-DN1080. It seems that the equalizer only works for the 2 channel soundfield but not for the other (surround) soundfields. Is this correct or could my settings cause this? Thanks already for your help.
post #2469 of 2928 Old 02-10-2019, 02:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertnogiets View Post
It seems that the equalizer only works for the 2 channel soundfield but not for the other (surround) soundfields. Is this correct or could my settings cause this?
What do you mean?
You can not change equalizer on Ny channels but front?
Or you do not sense their effect?
I am pretty sure that the equalizer has effect on all of them. Have been measuring and calibrating with pink noise.
Here the view in Sony Music Center app but you can change in receiver menu or GUI as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2917990B-32C0-45DF-997D-16957FFA0326_1549790432595.png
Views:	63
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	2523152  
post #2470 of 2928 Old 02-10-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
What do you mean?
You can not change equalizer on Ny channels but front?
Or you do not sense their effect?
I am pretty sure that the equalizer has effect on all of them. Have been measuring and calibrating with pink noise.
Here the view in Sony Music Center app but you can change in receiver menu or GUI as well.
Thanks for your reaction.
When I use the equalizer to raise the treble level for the front speakers for example, I hear when in 2 channel stereo mode a clear change but when I do the same for a surround mode (like dolby surround or front surround) I hear no change. It makes no difference whether I try this with the music center app or directly on the receiver.
post #2471 of 2928 Old 02-10-2019, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question bluetooth headphones

Hi All

I tried bluetooth headphones for the first time today, but there were 2 issues
  1. it was only playing in mono
  2. there was a significant audio delay
has anyone experienced and resolved either of these issues?

thanks
post #2472 of 2928 Old 02-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Hi Bob,
I bought this receiver mainly because it has LDAC support (I own the Sony WH-1000XM2). But I was really disappointed because of two reasons
  • Connecting via LDAC is a thing of coincidence. It mainly connects via the basic SBC. I had to do crazy stuff, reconnect many times, change settings and sometimes, it was able to connect via LDAC. But then you turned your headphones or receiver off and you are here again.
  • - The second thing is exactly what you are saying. A terrible delay. I tried turn off every postprocess, but nothing helps. I am afraid that Sony designed it only for music listening. If you wanna use it for video, maybe you can delay the video track (in case the Bluetooth delay is at least consistent) but if you wanna play games like I did, you’re pretty much screwed. Funny thing is, that if I use Bluetooth dongle to my pc, there is no visible lag. So shame on you Sony. At least I’m forced to use my surround system
post #2473 of 2928 Old 02-10-2019, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reaction.
When I use the equalizer to raise the treble level for the front speakers for example, I hear when in 2 channel stereo mode a clear change but when I do the same for a surround mode (like dolby surround or front surround) I hear no change. It makes no difference whether I try this with the music center app or directly on the receiver.
Alright! Now I see.
Let me try it out on mine.
post #2474 of 2928 Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Alright! Now I see.
Let me try it out on mine.
Thanks again. I'm very curious about the result.
post #2475 of 2928 Old 02-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks again. I'm very curious about the result.
It indeed works.
I tested with sacd 5.1music track and AFD, Multi Ch Stereo, Dolby Surround and Neural:X modes.
All channels can be equalized. NB! I was observing not in the sweet spot but in front of every single speaker!
I am on European Firmware version M41.R.0442 from October 10, 2018.

Last edited by priitv8; 02-13-2019 at 11:33 PM.
post #2476 of 2928 Old 02-14-2019, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hey guys so I recently bought the str-dn1080 and I keep having this issue where the multi channel mode only works with Bluetooth from my phone.When I switch back to the video output my surrounds just play surround while in multi channel mode. So I though maybe it just couldn’t be done since I have it connected to ps4 but then yesterday it was actually playing multi channel since dialogue was coming out from my surrounds from a show I was watching. Now today I go to try and no luck, tried same show and episode.Any one know what I’m doing wrong?
post #2477 of 2928 Old 02-14-2019, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi

I'm trying to troubleshoot a range issue, and there's a setting in the STR-DN1080 I don't understand, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

Context. I have an STR-DN1080 feeding an Acer M550 (4K HDR projector), with an HTPC, an Xbox One S, and an iptv device from my internet provider.

The issue is that the Acer is not correctly detecting the color range in Auto mode. So, the HTPC setup with the GPU outputting RGB full range is detected as limited.

I'm trying to trace the problem and one setting in the DN1080 confuses me: "Setting the color space conversion for the video signal from HDMI jacks."

I've read the manuals, and done Google searches, but I can't find anything that explains what this setting does in understandable terms. It says:
Select the setting you want.

Quote:
Auto: Automatically detects the type of external device, and switches to the corresponding color setting.
YCbCr (4 : 2 : 2): Outputs YCbCr 4:2:2 video signals
YCbCr (4 : 4 : 4): Outputs YCbCr 4:4:4 video signals.
RGB: Select this when connecting to a device with an HDCP-compatible DVI jack.
Note: [YCbCr/RGB (HDMI)] setting does not affect to video signals from the HDMI IN jacks.
First, why would I want the AVR to do color space conversion and even if I did, why is there no option to turn it off?

Second, the first 3 lines seem to indicate that in auto it talks to the output device and selects a conversion (but if the output device can handle RGB/Y'CbCr 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0, does that mean no conversion takes place). The other two lines seem to indicate that it would always convert to the selected format (Y'CbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, but why no 4:2:0?).

The third line throws me. Does it mean that it can only output over RGB over HDMI to a DVI jack on the output device?

Finally, what does the note mean? If YCbCr/RGB setting doesn't affect the HDMI input jacks, then what conversion is taking place?
post #2478 of 2928 Old 02-14-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_thirsty_speaker View Post
Hey guys so I recently bought the str-dn1080 and I keep having this issue where the multi channel mode only works with Bluetooth from my phone.When I switch back to the video output my surrounds just play surround while in multi channel mode. So I though maybe it just couldn’t be done since I have it connected to ps4 but then yesterday it was actually playing multi channel since dialogue was coming out from my surrounds from a show I was watching. Now today I go to try and no luck, tried same show and episode.Any one know what I’m doing wrong?
I just set my default to A.F.D. and forget it. With this setting it automatically selects the appropriate decoder based on the input stream.
Rudy1 likes this.
post #2479 of 2928 Old 02-14-2019, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_thirsty_speaker View Post
Multi Ch Stereo mode routes signal equally to all speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONYHelpGuide
Outputs sound from all connected speakers.
When 2-channel or monaural audio signals are input, the receiver outputs sound from all speakers without adding any surround effect.

When multi-channel audio signals are input, sound may not be output from certain speakers depending on the speaker settings or playback content.
https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn1...001273218.html
post #2480 of 2928 Old 02-14-2019, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Let me try to explain how do I understand this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afzal_b View Post
First, why would I want the AVR to do color space conversion and even if I did, why is there no option to turn it off?
The only reason to do that imho, is when your signal sink does not support autodetecting or multiple formats. Then you'd force your AVR to output one specific format.
As a side note, it is strange that even Sony calls this parameter a color space. In reality we are talking about chroma subsampling here, ie compression rate of the chromaticity part of video signal.
In this context, Auto would mean off - I'd expect any HDMI device to accept 8-bit 4:2:0 video signal. As long as you are watching TV, DVD, bluray, your handicam or phone video, your signal is also 8-bit 4:2:0 (except the HDR UHD BD is 10-bit 4:2:0) and no conversion is necessary.
Quote:
Second, the first 3 lines seem to indicate that in auto it talks to the output device and selects a conversion (but if the output device can handle RGB/Y'CbCr 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0, does that mean no conversion takes place). The other two lines seem to indicate that it would always convert to the selected format (Y'CbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, but why no 4:2:0?).
In Auto it adjusts to EDID info gotten from signal sink. 4:2:0 is probably not needed there, as all consumer video content is encoded in 4:2:0 currently. So higher chroma settings make any difference only to computer-generated images, if your video card is set to output lower chroma compression.
Quote:
The third line throws me. Does it mean that it can only output over RGB over HDMI to a DVI jack on the output device?
Again, its the same HDMI output, right? On a low level, DVI and HDMI are the same. HDMI just adds audio and CEC to video and EDID signals carried over from DVI spec.
So if your HDMI sink accepts RGB, then you can select this option. AppleTV has similar setting, and my Bravia TV has no problems with accepting it.
Quote:
Finally, what does the note mean? If YCbCr/RGB setting doesn't affect the HDMI input jacks, then what conversion is taking place?
I think this means that selected output format is not reflected in EDID of HDMI inputs, so no signal source will get to know that your AVR is doing the conversion or that it could/should output a different chroma signal.

Last edited by priitv8; 02-14-2019 at 11:30 PM.
post #2481 of 2928 Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Let me try to explain how do I understand this.The only reason to do that imho, is when your signal sink does not support autodetecting or multiple formats. Then you'd force your AVR to output one specific format.
As a side note, it is strange that even Sony calls this parameter a color space. In reality we are talking about chroma subsampling here, ie compression rate of the chromaticity part of video signal.
In this context, Auto would mean off - I'd expect any HDMI device to accept 8-bit 4:2:0 video signal. As long as you are watching TV, DVD, bluray, your handicam or phone video, your signal is also 8-bit 4:2:0 (except the HDR UHD BD is 10-bit 4:2:0) and no conversion is necessary.
In Auto it adjusts to EDID info gotten from signal sink. 4:2:0 is probably not needed there, as all consumer video content is encoded in 4:2:0 currently. So higher chroma settings make any difference only to computer-generated images, if your video card is set to output lower chroma compression.
Again, its the same HDMI output, right? So if your HDMI sink accepts RGB, then you can select this option. AppleTV has similar setting, and my Bravia TV has no problems with accepting it.
I think this means that selected output format is not reflected in EDID of HDMI inputs, so no signal source will get to know that your AVR is doing the conversion or that it could/should output a different chroma signal.
Thanks. Your reply is a rational interpretation of what's going on. Yes, Sony calling it color space conversion is incorrect - there is no 709-2020 conversion. There is chroma-subsampling and (in RGB<->YCrCb) tone mapping going on.
post #2482 of 2928 Old 02-15-2019, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Ok...here's a stupid question... I have a 7.2 setup. The placement of the speakers isn't feasible to be done in the 'normal' fashion, depicted in the diagram, as in...my 'surrounds' that should be on either side of the seating area aren't - they're up front (I know, I know...but the room layout is a bit odd).

When I first got the 1080 - I was able to do the auto-cal...for reference so that I could 'tweak' from there. I had an instance a couple months ago that forced me to do a hard reset. I was going to muck with the auto cal again after that, and now it refuses to complete, citing improper speaker placement.

Well, DUH....I KNOW that...but would still like to get a baseline to deviate from....plus I just changed out my front towers to Polk Monitor 60s...and want to get things balanced.

Am I being a n00b or was I just lucky the first go-round??

Last edited by mrdjman; 02-16-2019 at 04:37 AM.
post #2483 of 2928 Old 02-16-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post
Ok...here's a stupid question... I have a 7.2 setup. The placement of the speakers isn't feasible to be done in the 'normal' fashion, depicted in the diagram, as in...my 'surrounds' that should be on either side of the seating area aren't - they're up front (I know, I know...but the room layout is a bit odd).

When I first got the 1080 - I was able to do the auto-cal...for reference so that I could 'tweak' from there. I had an instance a couple months ago that forced me to do a hard reset. I was going to muck with the auto cal again after that, and now it refuses to complete, citing improper speaker placement.

Well, DUH....I KNOW that...but would still like to get a baseline to deviate from....plus I just changed out my front towers to Polk Monitor 60s...and want to get things balanced.

Am I being a n00b or was I just lucky the first go-round??
There has been a firmware update over the last few months. If it was applied to your unit that could account for the difference.

Suggest you do a factory reset and set the speaker distances manually and listen to the results. It may be just fine.
post #2484 of 2928 Old 02-16-2019, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
There has been a firmware update over the last few months. If it was applied to your unit that could account for the difference.

Suggest you do a factory reset and set the speaker distances manually and listen to the results. It may be just fine.
Yeah, I applied the update when it came out...then I did the factory reset...which is what got me in to this mess ) Also kinda bummed that Sony opted to not have all of the sound fields like the Concert Halls & Stadium that the 1060 had, but that I can live with...I just want to get my speakers balanced a tad better...

Guess I've got nothing to lose by doing another factory reset...
post #2485 of 2928 Old 02-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

So...never say "I've got nothing to lose..."

I did another factory reset...auto-calibration still being stubborn because I don't have the speakers exactly where it wants them (even though it worked before and also worked on my 1060...and the speakers haven't moved). Now, however, it doesn't seem to be recognizing (or at least, displaying) Dolby Digital Surround...and reverts back to Multi ST. on any input.

Sometimes, I should just leave well enough alone.

UPDATE: Ok...so after spending an hour of my life on the phone with Sony...they feel it's a receiver issue...now I have to send it to them. If it can't be fixed, they'll send me a new receiver. My bet is...they won't even try - not worth their effort... Good thing I haven't sold the 1060 yet...may be put back into service for a week or so...ugh...I hate the thought of re-cabling...twice...but if I get a new AVR out of it, it'll be worth it.

Last edited by mrdjman; 02-16-2019 at 01:16 PM.
post #2486 of 2928 Old 02-16-2019, 04:17 PM

Hi All,

Is there anyone out there who has found a way to run a true A + B set up on their STR DN1080? I am currently using mine primarily for watching movies 5.1.2. What I would like to do is use 5.1.2 Atmos with movies (speaker A) and when I listen to music I would like to utilize all the 5.1.2 speakers plus 2 additional B speakers located in another room simultaneously from the same source (speaker A B). The kicker is, when I listen to music in AB, I would like the source to be bluetooth. Sony support was clear as mud on this issue and told me it couldn't be done with a digital source or with maintaining Atmos. According to Sony support zone 2 speakers won't play bluetooth content. If there is a way to select 5.1.2 Atmos for movies and then select 7.1 Multi-Channel Stereo for bluetooth music (preferably on the same SA-CD/CD channel) where I would lose my height speakers and pickup the 2 speakers in the other room would be ok too. I just don't want to have to do a lot of finagling when I switch between 5.1.2 and 7.1 if I can help it.

Is any of this possible, or am I expecting too much from a $500 AVR?
post #2487 of 2928 Old 02-17-2019, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc408 View Post
Is any of this possible, or am I expecting too much from a $500 AVR?
As this implies changing the speaker configuration, I do not see any way to change it on the fly with this receiver.
Closest would be to use custom preset with HDMI Zone 2 output. Preset can include HDMI output configuration (A, B, A+B, Off).
This, however will require additional amp in Zone 2.
Some programmable IR remote command sequence might also do the trick but seems really cumbersome.
post #2488 of 2928 Old 02-20-2019, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Has anyone actually used eARC. Im looking to get this avr to replace onkyo tx-nr555 5.1.2., mostly because of eARC. I will be running my xbox one x to a 2019 oled b9 or c9 with hdmi 2.1, then eARC from lg to the receiver, hoping to take advantage of the gaming features of the lg and still passing top sound to the receiver. Does eARC pass pcm 5.1/7.1 as well as atmos/dts x/true hd etc
post #2489 of 2928 Old 02-20-2019, 10:03 PM

So to keep the community up to date in regards to post 2487, I now have first-hand knowledge of AB-ing directly from the str dn1080. I couldn't find how this actually worked anywhere online and Sony customer service wasn't any help (they said that I couldn't play a bluetooth source without an additional amp). So I just bought some Polk RC80i 8" coaxial ceiling speakers to match my height (Atmos) speakers and direct wired them from the zone 2 speaker terminals on the str dn1080 to see what happened. I figured I could make them work somehow even if it meant buying another amp to run off of zone 2. Staying on the SA-CD/CD input, which I have my Apple TV 4k wired to and set up for 5.1.2 Atmos, I am able to play music in Multi Channel Stereo via bluetooth through the 5.1 speakers on A and the 2 RC80i's set up on zone 2 (B) when I go to Home (onscreen menu) and manually turn zone 2 on. I have to control the zone 2 speaker volume separately from the main 5.1 speakers and I lose the Atmos height (.2) speakers when the zone 2 RC80i ceiling speakers are enabled. So, apparently it is true that the str dn1080 can only run at most 5.1.2 OR 7.1 at any given time. Basically any combination of 7 speakers and a sub. When I turn zone 2 off in the home settings, my height speakers for Atmos are enabled again. This is more key strokes than I would like to make this work, but I'm happy this works without an additional amp. I may invest in a Logitech harmony and program the remote to do all of this easier. I get that Sony wanted to make the remote have the appearance of being easy, but it comes at the cost of easily being able to use advanced functions without accessing the onscreen menu.

It's worth mentioning that my intended purpose for all of this is to watch movies in 5.1.2 and listen to music in 7.1. I am trying to accomplish this because my basement rec room is one big long room. The front half is a movie area that has 5.1.2 and the back half includes a bar, dart board, seating, etc. When I am listening to music and throwing darts I wanted to increase the sound field by adding the zone 2 speakers in the bar/dart area.
leela222 likes this.
post #2490 of 2928 Old 02-21-2019, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc408 View Post
So, apparently it is true that the str dn1080 can only run at most 5.1.2 OR 7.1 at any given time. Basically any combination of 7 speakers and a sub.
At the bottom line, this is an AVR with 7-channel amp, so yes it can not drive more speakers itself.
BTW EU models don't even have the additional Zone 2 speaker posts on the back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page