Originally Posted by weirdg
Just curious to see if the DN1080 is actually better than the others in terms of audio quality, since it was considered a top performer in 2017, besting the likes of the RX-V583 (predecessor to the RX-585). Two brands I've never had fail on me are Yamaha and Sony, hence why I'm leaning towards those. I'll be comparing both this week, since I ordered the DN1080 just last night.
FWIW, I've owned a couple of Denon's and now this Sony (have listened to last model Yamaha & Onkyo's at friends) and I like the sound of the 1080 more than all of them I think.
I've owned it for a couple of months now and I have my issues with it:
- UI is average at best
- I have the HOME screen issue (any input selection on the remote goes to input, then HOME pops up, requiring another press of the button)
- CEC is finicky and doesn't quite work how I'd like
- It runs HOT (tbf it's not as well ventilated as it should be, so I'll blame me for that)
- It's just generally clunky and all the other brands feel like a premium product. The Sony feels a bit flaky
- Not capable of playing a diff audio & video source at the same time hurts the most though!
But all of that I can live with for a while until the next upgrade in a couple of years because this thing has PUNCH. Movies sound incredible - I'm running a bookshelf system (room size reasons / speakers below) and more like 'cinema' than any other AVR I've had (which have all been mid-range really). It's got genuinely vibrant, loud, crisp, punchy sound that the others lacked. When I was using my previous Denon it was just a bit soft - as though it was limited in some way.
Anyway, it functions properly - it's not as 'nice' to use, but does it's main job (great audio / passing through 4k content to my TV) very well so I can live with out the trimmings that I've had before for a couple more years.
- Sony STR-DN1080 (Xbox One X, PC & Chromecast Ultra connected to), HDMI ARC to
- LG OLED C7 TV
- Q-Acoustic 2000C centre
- Q-Acoustic 2020i Front L/R
- Q-Acoustic 2010i Rear L/R (removed for the time being for a better/bigger couch)
- Q-Acoustic 2070s Sub (needs an upgrade, but does the job in a small room)
I am looking for some upfiring Atmos speakers that will sit well in my space or on top of my 2020i fronts to expand the sound field while my rears don't fit in the room.