Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2211Likes

post #2551 of 2928 Old 03-23-2019, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post
Well, yes...it's connected to an XBR65x850C Sony TV, but it was previously...and I never had these issues...what difference would that make? Are you thinking of Bravia-Sync? None of those settings changed, either....
It is the Bravia who takes control of this AVR, unless you have CEC or Sound Mode Sync disabled.
See my post here on page 77: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57336158
Has also been discussed on Sony community pages: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home...d/td-p/2399563

Last edited by priitv8; 03-23-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2928 Old 03-23-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
It is the Bravia who takes control of this AVR, unless you have CEC or Sound Mode Sync disabled.
See my post here on page 77: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57336158
Has also been discussed on Sony community pages: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home...d/td-p/2399563
I checked the music center app...there is no setting for me for 'sound mode sync' and, like I said - I never had this issue until recently - in an attempt to reset a different issue (DAC not working), I did a factory restore (hard-reset)...then a bunch of other issues started to annoy.

Hopefully, they'll see it my way and replace it.
post #2553 of 2928 Old 03-23-2019, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I checked the music center app...there is no setting for me for 'sound mode sync' and, like I said - I never had this issue until recently - in an attempt to reset a different issue (DAC not working), I did a factory restore (hard-reset)...then a bunch of other issues started to annoy.
Nah. It is in the Sound settings on Android TV! Why would it be on the mobile app?
Sound mode Standard on Bravia results in Multi Ch St. on DN1080. All others (Cinema / Music / Sports) result in Dolby Surround.

Last edited by priitv8; 03-23-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2554 of 2928 Old 03-23-2019, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nah. It is in the Sound settings on Android TV! Why would it be on the mobile app?
I thought that's what the pic was of...I'm not seeing it on the XBR either... I'll dig around some more.
post #2555 of 2928 Old 03-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I thought that's what the pic was of...I'm not seeing it on the XBR either... I'll dig around some more.
If you don't have the switch on your Bravia, then you are unable to deactivate this feature in any way except disabling Bravia Sync (CEC) completely.
Btw I seem to have opened the support case #16038555 with Sony Europe already in august 2017. So I believe it was fixed already in some version Android TV v7.0 Nougat. I am currently on v8.0 Oreo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by customersupport.en[at]eu.sony.com
Subject: RE: RE: Sony Support E-mail | Sony Support Email 16038555 [case:16038555]
Date: 24 August 2017 at 15:50:10 EEST
To: me

Dear Mr I

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

In reference to your query regarding the soundfield that reverts to "Multi Ch Stereo", kindly note that we have taken your suggestion into consideration and passed it to the relevant department for future consideration and development.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,
Amany
SONY SUPPORT TEAM
SUPPORT: http://www.sony-europe.com/support/

Sony Belgium, bijkantoor van Sony Europe Limited.
Da Vincilaan 7-D1 - B-1935 Zaventem - Belgium
-----------------------------------
To: customersupport.en[at]eu.sony.com
Cc:
Sent: 22/08/2017 07:39:47
Subject: Sony Support Email 16038555

After turning on the receiver, the selected soundfield always reverts to "Multi Ch Stereo".
Whatever I select during operation. either via:
- Setup menu
- "Sound Effects" on home menu
- "2CH/MULTI" button on remote
- "Control Sound System" on Bravia TV Sync Menu

Irrespective of what sound field has been selected when turning receiver off, it always reverts to "Multi Ch Stereo" when I turn it back on.
How can I make it to remember that my preferred default soundfield should be A.F.D. so that I do not have to always manually adjust this?

Last edited by priitv8; 03-23-2019 at 11:49 AM.
post #2556 of 2928 Old 03-23-2019, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you don't have the switch on your Bravia, then you are unable to deactivate this feature in any way except disabling Bravia Sync (CEC) completely.
Btw I seem to have opened the support case #16038555 with Sony Europe already in august 2017. So I believe it was fixed already in some version Android TV v7.0 Nougat. I am currently on v8.0 Oreo.
I don't think the 850C is getting Oreo...but i'm still relatively certain that it isn't the TV...since my 1060 works flawlessly with similar settings as far as sync goes. I'll just see what Sony says on Monday.
post #2557 of 2928 Old 03-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
but i'm still relatively certain that it isn't the TV...since my 1060 works flawlessly with similar settings as far as sync goes.
It is fairly easy to test - if you leave your TV off, set the DN1080 to some other audio mode except Multi Ch Stereo and turn it off, then on again - it will remember the last sound mode it was switched off with and resume in the same.
Now, having the DN1080 on and set e.g. into A.F.D. mode, just turn on the Bravia and observe the AVR flip into Multi Ch Stereo mode.
At least that is how I discovered the cause of this issue.
post #2558 of 2928 Old 03-23-2019, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
It is fairly easy to test - if you leave your TV off, set the DN1080 to some other audio mode except Multi Ch Stereo and turn it off, then on again - it will remember the last sound mode it was switched off with and resume in the same.
Now, having the DN1080 on and set e.g. into A.F.D. mode, just turn on the Bravia and observe the AVR flip into Multi Ch Stereo mode.
At least that is how I discovered the cause of this issue.
I had this exact same problem and it drove me nuts until I found the solution in a thread here on avs. I have a x930e Bravia tv connected to my 1080.
post #2559 of 2928 Old 03-23-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by joleat View Post
Is the STR-DN1080 capable of auto-calibrating a 3.2.2 speaker configuration? If not, can the 5.2.2 be set up for rear surrounds instead of side surrounds?
It can, calibrate 3.1.2 or 5.1.2. While it has two sub outputs, the x.2.x, they are wired together internally via a splitter. Yes, it can be configured for side or rear surrounds.
post #2560 of 2928 Old 03-23-2019, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks so much! I'm going to start with a 3.1.2 and see where that leads me.
post #2561 of 2928 Old 03-24-2019, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

Just got this great receiver! so it's quiet a noob question.
I'm having a 5.1.2 speakers setup.
My issue is: when I use the source of a PC or a music stream (e.g. Spotify), all speakers are working. But, if the source is my cable box, only the 2 front speakers are working.
The cable box is connected to the receiver via an HDMI cable.
I don't know how many channels are been used by the cable box, but with my old receiver I was able to 'enhance' a two channels source.

Any clue, someone? Thanks in advance.
post #2562 of 2928 Old 03-24-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlicha View Post
Hello,

My issue is: when I use the source of a PC or a music stream (e.g. Spotify), all speakers are working. But, if the source is my cable box, only the 2 front speakers are working.
I don't know how many channels are been used by the cable box, but with my old receiver I was able to 'enhance' a two channels source.

Set the Sound Field in the Sony to A.F.D. and it will automatically decode the input sound stream. You change the display window on the Sony to show the audio stream mode. When using the cable box it will most likely show as PCM as the cable box may only be send out 2-channel stereo. The may be a setting in the cable box to send a multichannel stream or to passthru whatever the source provides.
post #2563 of 2928 Old 03-25-2019, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
...but with my old receiver I was able to 'enhance' a two channels source.
If you want to hear a 2-channel audio source from all speakers, you will need to engage the pseudo-surround mode on this receiver.
You will get that effect from many sound configurations:
  1. Multi Ch Stereo
  2. Dolby Surround
  3. Neural:X

Their effects are explained in the manual, so I won't retype them here.
They will all sound differently, so you will need to test and find what suits you best.
post #2564 of 2928 Old 03-25-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Wanted to share my receiver journey that is now finally done

I just wanted to post something here in case someone is in the same rut I was. I've been a long time reader but never commentator on this forum, but my recent findings pushed me to make this comment.

I have a connect who over the last ten years has allowed me to try many of the low to mid low priced receivers. I have tried a $500 pioneer elite, the same for the onkyo and yamaha and ended up with a denon in command series for its audessey XT that I had heard great reviews about. After owning it for a couple years and then moving to a new bigger house with a dedicated room for home theatre I started realizing I was never really happy with its clarity for dialog. I did want huge sound with bass and upper bass if possible but clear dialog was the first priority and I needed to get that fixed. I have tried every setting combination you can think of. Dyn Eq OFF Dyn Vol ON Audessey Flat, Cinema EQ ON every way these could be put together, I tried. I have a notebook that has pages of specifications for Audessey measurement locations. I even tried using Dirac live instructions for the locations and I think that worked the best! But after about literally 100 measurements I got into room acoustics. I started playing 100, 250, 350hz Test tones while walking around the room with a db meter. I have obvious room nodes and to make it short, I dont believe audessey works, atleast for my room.
I went to best buy today after reading reviews about the latest receivers and the sony 1080 caught me attention. Even the best buy workers tried to tell me to not take it because first of all "youve returned to many receivers" and second "your denon x1100 receiver will sound much better". I was about to go home empty handed but I wanted to try just one more receiever. So I did.

This sony is AMAZING. Even without any room correction. The sound signature this receiver has is amazing.

Through out all my testing I actually have movie scenes memorized for spots with dialog the other receivers couldnt pull off. The sony pulls it off amazingly. It passed all the test I had without room correction!

I was even in that crowd I see these days saying sony should just quit audio. I just thought that because I always have owned sony tvs and gave them "the best tv" title but couldnt imaging they would also dominate audio.

That is my review for the Sony STR-DN1080. Just amazing!
Adidas1 and Rodney Nicotine like this.
post #2565 of 2928 Old 03-26-2019, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Osterhage View Post
I just wanted to post something here in case someone is in the same rut I was. ...

That is my review for the Sony STR-DN1080. Just amazing!
Thanks Gordon! This is very useful to know.

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S
post #2566 of 2928 Old 03-27-2019, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have experience using the Zone 2 HDMI out + the Zone 2 speaker terminals?

I want to drive both of them from an HDMI input. Is this possible, or does the audio only come out of the Zone 2 HDMI out?

This support page seems to imply that the Zone 2 speaker terminals can't be driven by an HDMI input:
https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn1...001225200.html
post #2567 of 2928 Old 03-27-2019, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Hello,

The PC is being set to multi-speaker mode by default, which utilizes all speakers.
While it sounds great, if you play videos, the voice will come from all front speakers, vs the center channel.
AFD, Dolby or DTS-X mode will produce a better result with relation to videos.

For the cable box, you might need to set it to use Dolby, vs stereo.
Also, if the sound source is already properly encoded (dolby 5.1, or 7.1, dts or atmos for example), then the AVR will set the sound mode properly.

CN: Play with the multi-channel button on the remote. Also play with the direct button for music.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #2568 of 2928 Old 03-28-2019, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn337 View Post
This support page seems to imply that the Zone 2 speaker terminals can't be driven by an HDMI input:
https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn1...001225200.html
I do not use Zone 2 functionality myself, but I also understand that in this AVR it is simply 2 parralel switching matrices - one for analog inputs (Zone 2) and another for HDMI inputs (HDMI Zone 2). They run fully in parallel and signals do not cross from one into other.
post #2569 of 2928 Old 03-29-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Not sure if this is a AVR, TV, or Xbox One X issue, but it's happened in 2 games so far, so I don't think it's game specific. Anyway, I've started up Sony 900E TV, this receiver, and Xbox One X, and I have CEC enabled. External speakers come on, everything plays fine. It's getting late so I want to turn off the receiver and switch to the TV speakers to quiet things down. Receiver powers off fine, screen goes black for a moment, pop up comes on saying it's switching to TV speakers. But then I get nothing but static/hiss coming from the speakers. Turn the receiver on, and it's still there. I end up having to return to home screen and quit the game, then sound returns to normal. Not the end of the world, but annoying. Has anyone else had this issue?

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #2570 of 2928 Old 03-29-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
Not sure if this is a AVR, TV, or Xbox One X issue, but it's happened in 2 games so far, so I don't think it's game specific. Anyway, I've started up Sony 900E TV, this receiver, and Xbox One X, and I have CEC enabled. External speakers come on, everything plays fine. It's getting late so I want to turn off the receiver and switch to the TV speakers to quiet things down. Receiver powers off fine, screen goes black for a moment, pop up comes on saying it's switching to TV speakers. But then I get nothing but static/hiss coming from the speakers. Turn the receiver on, and it's still there. I end up having to return to home screen and quit the game, then sound returns to normal. Not the end of the world, but annoying. Has anyone else had this issue?
I know that your know what you mean, but I am not sure what your mean

Are you trying to continue the game (passthru on the AVR) or using an internal app on the TV? Or is you Xbox connected via hdmi directly to the TV. So many possibilities...
post #2571 of 2928 Old 03-29-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
I know that your know what you mean, but I am not sure what your mean

Are you trying to continue the game (passthru on the AVR) or using an internal app on the TV? Or is you Xbox connected via hdmi directly to the TV. So many possibilities...
Xbox is connected to Game port on AVR. TV is connected to AVR via TV ARC port and AVR ARC port, so the "it's" is the game. Audio and video fine when AVR is on = TV shows image, AVR plays audio through external speakers. I Turn off AVR and external speakers. Screen flashes as Xbox signal switches to pass through and changes to TV Speakers. TV shows the game correctly, but I hear static through TV speakers. Turn AVR back on. Screen flashes as ARC reconnects, TV screen shows Xbox again correctly, and now static on AVR. Turning on and off the AVR, same thing. The picture is always fine, it's the sound that remains static. If I leave the AVR off, shut down the game but leave the Xbox on, and then relaunch the game, sound on the TV is fine. I don't have to reboot the Xbox, just shutdown and restart the game. But unless I saved the game where I was at, I've lost everything since the last save.

Go Jackets!
post #2572 of 2928 Old 03-29-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Xbox is connected to Game port on AVR. TV is connected to AVR via TV ARC port and AVR ARC port, so the "it's" is the game. Audio and video fine when AVR is on = TV shows image, AVR plays audio through external speakers. I Turn off AVR and external speakers. Screen flashes as Xbox signal switches to pass through and changes to TV Speakers. TV shows the game correctly, but I hear static through TV speakers. Turn AVR back on. Screen flashes as ARC reconnects, TV screen shows Xbox again correctly, and now static on AVR. Turning on and off the AVR, same thing. The picture is always fine, it's the sound that remains static. If I leave the AVR off, shut down the game but leave the Xbox on, and then relaunch the game, sound on the TV is fine. I don't have to reboot the Xbox, just shutdown and restart the game. But unless I saved the game where I was at, I've lost everything since the last save.
Strange, but not surprising as CEC/ARC is unpredictable and a mixed bag of tricks. You should consider connecting the Xbox directly to the TV. In this configuration the sound will be passed to the AVR via ARC and when you turn the AVR off then the TV will play both video and sound.
post #2573 of 2928 Old 03-30-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
Strange, but not surprising as CEC/ARC is unpredictable and a mixed bag of tricks. You should consider connecting the Xbox directly to the TV. In this configuration the sound will be passed to the AVR via ARC and when you turn the AVR off then the TV will play both video and sound.
Wish I could, but from what I understand about my TV, it won't pass the Dolby Atmos decoding from the 900E to the DN1080. I can of course try it. I'll check with the TV sub and see if anyone has had luck passing Xbox One X to TV to AVR and still got Dolby Atmos.

Go Jackets!
post #2574 of 2928 Old 03-30-2019, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I returned my Denon AVRS740H for a Sony STRDN1080 and I'm pleased the difference in sound was immediate. The Denon was decent but the sound just felt flat, I was coming from an XT32 HDMI 1.4 receiver so I knew it wouldn't be able to live up to it. The Sony, however, has really impressed me and after calibration is doing exactly as all the glowing reviews said. Lots of punch and an airy sound.

That said, I can't seem to quite nail the low volume listening. I've been using Normal on Sound Optimizer and it's just too inconsistent compared to Audyssey Dynamic EQ. I've been watching Hanna at a reasonable volume but the gunshots and explosions keep forcing me to reach for the remote. Is Low going to be much better? Are these the only other options without going to Night Mode? I detest night mode due to the compression and Audyssey Dy Vol and EQ always worked out for me.

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51 / Front Height: Energy V-Mini / Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's / Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Sony STR-DN1080 /TV: Sony X900F 65
post #2575 of 2928 Old 03-30-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sony STR-DN1080 paired with old speakers

Just bought myself a Sony STR-DN1080 165W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1ch driven THD 0.9%) for $329 and I was hoping to pair them with unused speakers in the house.

I'm a newbie so need a bit of molly coddling.

Per Sony's owners manual I need to connect the receiver to speakers with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms to 16 ohms.

These are my old speakers.

Two B&W 683 S2 floorstander 200W/8 ohms speakers from 2014.
Two Definitive Technology SM65 Bookshelf 20-300W/8 ohms speaker from 2014
One JBL MR Center 10-80W/8 ohms speakers from 1996.
One SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer from 2014.

Links points to the tech specs of the hardware so anyone helping wont need to google it themselves.

Yes, I know it's 7.2 receiver and will attach the other speakers I can find in the attic.

Last edited by DViant; 03-31-2019 at 10:16 PM.
post #2576 of 2928 Old 03-30-2019, 10:56 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 754
I don't see a problem with those speakers, or the sub. Even a mishmash of speakers can sound good. FWIW I have the same sub. I use it for watching tv, rarely with music, it does a good job with music but my mains don't need the help.

Muzishare (KT-88) Int. Amp - Polk LSiM705's - Denon DCD-1500 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC - Linux Powered HTPC ----- (WWG1WGA)
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #2577 of 2928 Old 03-30-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
I don't see a problem with those speakers, or the sub. Even a mishmash of speakers can sound good. FWIW I have the same sub. I use it for watching tv, rarely with music, it does a good job with music but my mains don't need the help.
Thanks for the reply! So the receiver and the 4 speakers I listed will work, right?

I am worried if the watts and ohms of the speakers and receiver will match.

Last edited by DViant; 03-30-2019 at 11:59 PM.
post #2578 of 2928 Old 03-31-2019, 04:01 AM

I'm a newbie so need a bit of molly coddling. D:

Just bought myself a Sony STR-DN1080 165W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1ch driven THD 0.9%) for $329 and I was hoping to pair them with unused speakers in the house.

Per Sony's owners manual I need to connect the receiver to speakers with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms to 16 ohms.

These are my old speakers.

Two B&W 683 S2 floorstander 25–200W/8 ohms speakers from 2014.
Two Definitive Technology SM65 Bookshelf 20-300W/8 ohms speaker from 2014
One JBL MR Center 10-80W/8 ohms speakers from 1996.
One SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer from 2014.

Links points to the tech specs of the hardware so anyone helping wont need to google it themselves.

I was told by a friend that the JBL I have shouldn't be used anymore as there is a strong possibility that I would blow up the speaker and I should look for something else.

If this is the case then could anyone recommend a good center speaker?

Last edited by DViant; 03-31-2019 at 10:16 PM.
post #2579 of 2928 Old 03-31-2019, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaR3D View Post
I returned my Denon AVRS740H for a Sony STRDN1080 and I'm pleased the difference in sound was immediate. The Denon was decent but the sound just felt flat, I was coming from an XT32 HDMI 1.4 receiver so I knew it wouldn't be able to live up to it. The Sony, however, has really impressed me and after calibration is doing exactly as all the glowing reviews said. Lots of punch and an airy sound.

That said, I can't seem to quite nail the low volume listening. I've been using Normal on Sound Optimizer and it's just too inconsistent compared to Audyssey Dynamic EQ. I've been watching Hanna at a reasonable volume but the gunshots and explosions keep forcing me to reach for the remote. Is Low going to be much better? Are these the only other options without going to Night Mode? I detest night mode due to the compression and Audyssey Dy Vol and EQ always worked out for me.
I used Sound Optimiser for a while, but gave up on it as I found it boosted the mid bass too much for my liking. Now I have Sound Optimizer off and run the subs around 6db hot instead when listening at low levels.
post #2580 of 2928 Old 03-31-2019, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wish I could, but from what I understand about my TV, it won't pass the Dolby Atmos decoding from the 900E to the DN1080. I can of course try it.
Your 900E should be capable of passing through to ARC the Dolby Digital Plus stream. It will not decode it (or Atmos) itself, but shall pass the stream through to DN1080. You will need to enable Dolby Digital Plus mode in Sound settings on Android TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page