Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2211Likes

post #2611 of 2878 Old 04-11-2019, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Any progress made on getting the 1080 to use FD or TM speakers in DTS:X?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2878 Old 04-11-2019, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Here's my setup– cable box > Sony 1070 > LG C9 OLED. I know this is a 1080 thread but the 1070 is basiclly the same. Everytime i turn on my TV the AVR powers on but I have to manually select the TV input on the remote. I always get the main section screen from the 1070. Is it possible for the 1070 to stay on the TV input without reverting to the home page?
A Logitech Harmony remote is a good option when there are problems like this. Turning off HDMI CEC as well (if you don't need HDMI ARC).
helvetica bold likes this.

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S
post #2613 of 2878 Old 04-11-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeking View Post
Any progress made on getting the 1080 to use FD or TM speakers in DTS:X?
As far as I am aware, you still need to set your speakers to "FH" unfortunately.

-
Xbox One S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2614 of 2878 Old 04-12-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A couple of questions:

1. I just got an apple tv with this receiver and a traditional 5.1 setup (no atmos speakers) and looks like Apple tv does the audio processing itself (unless one wants the traditional dolby digital 5.1 output or stereo output) and send the audio to the receiver as Linear PCM. when i play dolby atmos shows/movies on the ATV, DAtmos shows up on the receiver. but given I have a 5.1 setup only, my question is am I missing sounds intended for the height speakers completely? or does the receiver downmix the 5.1.2 sounds to a 5.1 setup? I always keep the receiver to A.F.D.

2. Also when i should be using direct over A.F.D?
post #2615 of 2878 Old 04-12-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post
A couple of questions:

1. I just got an apple tv with this receiver and a traditional 5.1 setup (no atmos speakers) and looks like Apple tv does the audio processing itself (unless one wants the traditional dolby digital 5.1 output or stereo output) and send the audio to the receiver as Linear PCM. when i play dolby atmos shows/movies on the ATV, DAtmos shows up on the receiver. but given I have a 5.1 setup only, my question is am I missing sounds intended for the height speakers completely? or does the receiver downmix the 5.1.2 sounds to a 5.1 setup? I always keep the receiver to A.F.D.
Ahh...the mysterious Dolby Atmos over LPCM, aka Dolby MAT. Normally you need Atmos speakers to activate Dolby Atmos mode, so this is interesting. My guess, and it is a guess, is that the audio will get directed to what speakers you have rather than not playing it. But you could test with some Dolby Atmos material that you know has overhead sounds. Can you hear the sounds through your other speakers?

AFD is probably the best mode for normal use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post
2. Also when i should be using direct over A.F.D?
The online manual describes "Direct":
"Plays back all audio signals without adding any surround effect."

https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn1...001273218.html

That's kinda vague, but clearly no upmixing is occurring with this mode. But this is also true with AFD.

-
Xbox One S
post #2616 of 2878 Old 04-13-2019, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 104
In Direct mode no DSP processing (like EQ for example) is done either.
post #2617 of 2878 Old 04-16-2019, 08:16 PM

It looks like the STR-DN1080 possibly won't be being replaced any time soon. It was released in 2017-04. It's DLNA certificate is dated 2016-09-20, i.e. many months prior. Searching the dlna.org website, there are no new recently certified Sony AVRs.
Rodney Nicotine likes this.

-
Xbox One S
post #2618 of 2878 Old 04-19-2019, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
Anyone here have their AVR connected to a UPS?
If so, what are the specs or model of the UPS?

Its hard finding information on how much power the Sony AVR really consumes.
Plus I know some people will say using non direct power taints the electrons. My gear is not high end. I wont be able to tell if the sound is at frequency 120hz or 122hz.

My original UPS that I had in the TV area was from 2005 and started to develop the APC clicking of death.
It was a 1000va unit.
I just got a 1500va unit and connected it. All good, including the AVR. I see that under normal load it uses 20% power. Which is good. I just wanted my electronics protected from those random on/off/on/off surges.

My gaming PC connected to a 1000va uses 20% idle/browsing, 75% gaming
Maybe I should swap them out.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #2619 of 2878 Old 04-19-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Dolby Atmos while using S-Force Pro?

Does anybody know if this is possible? I'd like to set one of these AVRs up in a space where surround speakers would be unacceptable, but I'd like to retain Atmos capability.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #2620 of 2878 Old 04-19-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Dolby Atmos while using S-Force Pro?

Does anybody know if this is possible? I'd like to set one of these AVRs up in a space where surround speakers would be unacceptable, but I'd like to retain Atmos capability.
Are you asking if the "Front Surround" sound field works when using Dolby Atmos content, and whether you still get overhead and object-based sound while creating virtual surround speakers with this sound field?

-
Xbox One S
post #2621 of 2878 Old 04-20-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post
Are you asking if the "Front Surround" sound field works when using Dolby Atmos content, and whether you still get overhead and object-based sound while creating virtual surround speakers with this sound field?
Precisely. The space I’m working with only has one wall...and that’s where display will go. There’s simply no way I could set up surround speakers, and ceiling mounted speakers are not an option.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #2622 of 2878 Old 04-20-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Precisely. The space I’m working with only has one wall...and that’s where display will go. There’s simply no way I could set up surround speakers, and ceiling mounted speakers are not an option.
From what I read, I think this feature only uses 2 speakers (i.e. I presume no center or height) to generate the virtual surround. If I get time I can run some tests to verify this presumption though. Or maybe someone else can comment on this feature and the effectiveness of it?

And unfortunately the Phantom Surround Back feature needs rear speakers (e.g. a 5.1 setup) to create a virtual 7.1 effect.

-
Xbox One S
post #2623 of 2878 Old 04-21-2019, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
I’ve tested it and it does not....
Any soundfield except Dolby Surround or AFD will set DN1080 to decode only TrueHD/DD+ 7.1 and height speakers go mute.
In my setup, I also lose the sense of rear surround sound.
Incidentally, that also reinforces my belief, that any physical speaker is better than a virtual.

Last edited by priitv8; 04-21-2019 at 02:21 AM.
post #2624 of 2878 Old 04-21-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From what I read, I think this feature only uses 2 speakers (i.e. I presume no center or height) to generate the virtual surround. If I get time I can run some tests to verify this presumption though. Or maybe someone else can comment on this feature and the effectiveness of it?

And unfortunately the Phantom Surround Back feature needs rear speakers (e.g. a 5.1 setup) to create a virtual 7.1 effect.
Thank you.

post #2625 of 2878 Old 04-21-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Any soundfield except Dolby Surround or AFD will set DN1080 to decode only TrueHD/DD+ 7.1 and height speakers go mute.
Incidentally, that also reinforces my belief, that any physical speaker is better than a virtual.
Thank you. I'll have to look at alternatives to the proposed furniture layout.

post #2626 of 2878 Old 04-21-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you. I'll have to look at alternatives to the proposed furniture layout.
When I tried 'Front Surround' mode it sounded like my rear speakers were still active, so I would probably have to have disabled them to test. (If it were something like Q-Sound, I expect the rear sounds to disappear when my head turned away from between the two front speakers. With Q-Sound sitting in sweet spot is essential.)

Depending on your room, there are many ways to hide speaker wires without making holes in walls. If you have wooden floor boards, you can pull the carpet aside and drill straight down. You could also put the wires under the carpet by the wall if they are thin though (and you know how to re-lay the carpet). Stick on conduit along the bottom of the wall is a non-evasive option. I'm lucky enough to have a corner lounge suite, so the wires are behind that. The wires that are visible to neatly cable-tied together and are sitting on the carpet where it meets the skirting boards.

Quote:
True! I'd forgotten about that. Similarly, I presume that AFD and Neural:X modes (plus height speakers set to FH) are the only options for DTS:X.

-
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 04-21-2019 at 02:20 PM.
post #2627 of 2878 Old 04-22-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello All,

I'm looking to purchase a new receiver for the first time in 10 years. If I bought a 1080 Would I be missing out on any major enhancements or features to come along in the last couple years since the Sony was released? I'm having a hard time deciding on which brand of AVR I want to go with. There wasn't this many options 10 years ago, or at least it didn't seem like it. Thanks!
post #2628 of 2878 Old 04-22-2019, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom J. Davis View Post
Hello All,

I'm looking to purchase a new receiver for the first time in 10 years. If I bought a 1080 Would I be missing out on any major enhancements or features to come along in the last couple years since the Sony was released? I'm having a hard time deciding on which brand of AVR I want to go with. There wasn't this many options 10 years ago, or at least it didn't seem like it. Thanks!
You should go with what you like and not worry about new whiz-bang features, for there is always something new coming around the corner. That being said I can tell you that I purchased a STR-DN1080 recently and I have mixed feelings. I bought it based on the stellar reviews of its sound. I only intended to use it for a 2.0 set-up with the possibility of adding more speakers later. So far it has lived up to its reviews for it does sound good, and I am really liking the connectivity options. I am invested in the Apple ecosystem and airplay works well on this. It also does bluetooth and chromecast. I am bi-amping a pair of KLH towers and I am happy with the rig. Now for the cons...

I have an engineering degree in CS yet it took me two days to figure out how to configure the thing. I am old school and used to RCA connectors and physical switches. You will need a TV to set this guy up, and the explanations of the various settings are somewhat lacking IMO. Granted going with their choices seems to be the best option in many cases, and forums such as this fill in many of the gaps. As an IT person I am mystified as to why they the interface is as slow and limited as it is. Memory is cheap yet there is not enough namespace to label a preset station as classical (8 char limit). The equalization is limited to bass and treble. Seems to me they could have programmed 10-12 bands of equalization with a pink noise generator. The hardware is already there. Switching inputs via the software is slow and cumbersome, and the sidekick app for my iPhone is useful but there is a delay when I try and use it.

I do not have buyers remorse but I think that next time I might dig a little deeper. The Yamaha Adventage line looks interesting and Denon seems to have more fine-grained equalization. In the end there are no really bad choices out there and your speakers will probably will be a bigger determinant to your sound than the receiver. If your DVD/CD player does not have an HDMI output then I would recommend upgrading that as well. AV Receivers these days have pretty good DACs so you don't have to spend a fortune on a DVD/CD player.

Happy hunting.
Deezul likes this.
post #2629 of 2878 Old 04-23-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,
I need some help...I’m confused. There is a “Subwoofer Low-Pass Frequency Filter” setting in the [Audio] settings. Why? I thought that the subwoofer setting is done in the speaker set up (Crossover Frequency)? I have that setting set to 100Hz for all of the speakers and they are set to SMALL (running a Def Tech SSA-50 passive sound bar). I’m not sure why there is a need for the two low-pass filter settings in the STR-DN1080 settings. This is the description of the “Subwoofer Low Pass Frequency Filter” setting in the Help Guide:

“You can turn the low-pass filter for the subwoofer output on or off. You can set the function for each input to which an audio input jack is assigned independently. Turn the function on if you connect a subwoofer without the crossover frequency function.”

I have my two Velodyne DLS-4000R subwoofers set to DIRECT (no low pass filter due to using bass management in the STR-DN1080).

Two other settings I’m not sure about are “Digital Legato Linear” and “DSD Native”. Can someone explain those settings to me also?

I love the sound of the Sony STR-DN1080, but some of the settings and explanations are difficult to understand. Also, I agree with some owners that the change of inputs, etc. is delayed too much.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Last edited by steve>jf; 04-24-2019 at 12:21 AM.
post #2630 of 2878 Old 04-24-2019, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve>jf View Post
Hello All,
I need some help...I’m confused. There is a “s” setting in the [Audio] settings. Why? I thought that the subwoofer setting is done in the speaker set up (Crossover Frequency)? I have that setting set to 100Hz for all of the speakers and they are set to SMALL (running a Def Tech SSA-50 passive sound bar). I’m not sure why there is a need for the two low-pass filter settings in the STR-DN1080 settings. This is the description of the “Subwoofer Low Pass Frequency Filter” setting in the Help Guide:

“You can turn the low-pass filter for the subwoofer output on or off. You can set the function for each input to which an audio input jack is assigned independently. Turn the function on if you connect a subwoofer without the crossover frequency function.”

I have my two Velodyne DLS-4000R subwoofers set to DIRECT (no low pass filter due to using bass management in the STR-DN1080).

Two other settings I’m not sure about are “Digital Legato Linear” and “DSD Native”. Can someone explain those settings to me also?

I love the sound of the Sony STR-DN1080, but some of the settings and explanations are difficult to understand. Also, I agree with some owners that the change of inputs, etc. is delayed too much.

Thanks in advance!

The Low Pass Filter setting is there for passive subs, or ones without crossover settings. Digital Legato is a proprietary Sony filtering, mostly for low-res sources, although it can be used for CD quality PCM signals. DSD Native is for use with SACD or DSD file playback. If the source or player can transmit DSD without converting to PCM, then use this feature.

I have a DN-1070 and 2 powered subs, Low Pass Filter is Off, and so is Digital Legato. I play SACDs, so DSD Native is on.

PSN BradCompany
post #2631 of 2878 Old 04-26-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Has anyone used the Bluetooth transmitter function? I’ve been able to connect my sony Bluetooth headphones to watch movies but the volume is really low. It sounds like it at half volume. When I connect the headphones directly to my appletv the volume is fine but the lip sync really bad. It’s really frustrating.
post #2632 of 2878 Old 04-26-2019, 08:57 AM

Liked: 0
Sony STR-DN1080 is glitching

Hello, I have had my Sony STR-DN1080 for about a year now. Overall i love the amp; but i've had some recurring problems with it:

1. It will randomly switch between inputs. I'll be watching a blu ray for example and with will switch to another HDMI input, or even radio, etc.

This doesn't happen enough to make the unit unusable; but it's definitley annoying.

2. The volume will randomly turn up by itself. This has only happened a few times but it freaks my wife out! haha. I know it's an electronic glitch but she thinks it's ghosts. Needless to say i need to get this fixed asap.

I haven't updated this since i got it; but will be sure to do so tonight to see if that helps.

I really like this amp but these problems are annoying. Has anyone encountered similar issues with their DN 1080? Any thoughts? Do i need to get Sony customer service involved at this point?

Thanks!
post #2633 of 2878 Old 04-26-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 192
The forum is usually filled with these issues because of the hdmi-cec ghost in the tv, iirc? Do you have any sources other than the receiver plugged into the tv?

The tv senses an input and changes randomly, so if you are not using the return/arc via optical back to the receiver then turn off hdmi-cec in the tv. Power everything down and then up again and see if that fixes it.

I have also seen other here get a harmony 650 to control everything, some seem to think it helps with the input switching?

good luck!

Last edited by eriksells916; 04-26-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #2634 of 2878 Old 04-26-2019, 10:52 AM

Liked: 0
Thanks. I have a 2016 Samsung Smart TV, not 4k, not using an ARC output.

The setup is:

-HMDI output 1 from the receiver

-HDMI output 2 a google chromecast device

-Composite in (to a multiswitch)

-Coaxial In (from a digital antenna)

-Optical audio out (from TV to recevier, to get 5.1 for broadcast TV Etc.)

Not much that should be the issue here. Also the volume turning up is weird...

I'll see if I can find an HDMI-CEC setting in the TV this evening and will turn it off. I'll also do an update on the receiver over the network and maybe that will fix some glitches. You never know. I thought i set it to "auto update" but I can't 100% remember.

Thanks!
post #2635 of 2878 Old 04-26-2019, 02:18 PM

You can turn HDMI CEC off on the AVR - it's called 'Control for HDMI' on the STR-DN1080:
https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn1...001221252.html

-
Xbox One S
post #2636 of 2878 Old 04-27-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Is there a way to set my surrounds speaker locations to ceiling? This is a 5.1 setup

LG 65OLEDC7P
Pioneer KRP-500m
Next Level Acoustics HDMONs LCR, CI-IC44A In-Ceilings, CI-HV10 subwoofer
M&K LCR-750s, M-4T Surrounds, V1250thx subwoofer - FOR SALE!
Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary
Sennheiser HD800 & Grado PS1000 headphones
post #2637 of 2878 Old 04-28-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post
Is there a way to set my surrounds speaker locations to ceiling? This is a 5.1 setup
No. There is no option to set your rear speakers as height speakers, as in a 3.1.4 config.
jbrady3324 likes this.

-
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 04-28-2019 at 12:35 PM.
post #2638 of 2878 Old 04-28-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
I am, all of a sudden, running into HDMI ghost issues. I have 2 issues:

1. When I power on my Apple TV (which triggers the tv and amp to turn on), the amp will continuously override the HDMI input for about 1-2 minutes until I can finally switch back to the Apple TV.

2. Randomly, while watching something on my Apple TV (have not seen this happen when watching something on Live TV), the amp will switch to BD/DVD input which has NOTHING hooked up to it at all.

My set up is LG OLED C7->(via HDMI ARC)Sony Amp->Apple TV 4K

LG 65OLEDC7P
Pioneer KRP-500m
Next Level Acoustics HDMONs LCR, CI-IC44A In-Ceilings, CI-HV10 subwoofer
M&K LCR-750s, M-4T Surrounds, V1250thx subwoofer - FOR SALE!
Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary
Sennheiser HD800 & Grado PS1000 headphones
post #2639 of 2878 Old 04-28-2019, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just purchased this receiver a few days ago, I'm still settling in but it's been pretty good so far.

I managed to figure out an issue that was driving me crazy, constantly having the sound field reset to Multi Channel Stereo. Turns out my Sony TV was doing it for this feature: https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn1...001221284.html

Fortunately once I knew that was it I found a setting on my TV to turn off the sound field sync and I've been super happy.
Magellan55 likes this.
post #2640 of 2878 Old 04-29-2019, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post
I am, all of a sudden, running into HDMI ghost issues. I have 2 issues:

1. When I power on my Apple TV (which triggers the tv and amp to turn on), the amp will continuously override the HDMI input for about 1-2 minutes until I can finally switch back to the Apple TV.

2. Randomly, while watching something on my Apple TV (have not seen this happen when watching something on Live TV), the amp will switch to BD/DVD input which has NOTHING hooked up to it at all.

My set up is LG OLED C7->(via HDMI ARC)Sony Amp->Apple TV 4K
I also have an OLED C7 and the DN1080 and have concluded that the CEC/ARC interface between the two have some handshake issues but works most of the time.

1. When you say override the HDMI input do you mean the AVR switches to the Home screen. If so, this is a well known and common problem related to CEC/HDMI issues.

2. This has happened to me two or three times over the last year when watch the Netflix app on the TV (suddenly no sound). Fortunately not a regular activity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page